Vegetarian For A Day

I have decided that Tuesday shall be “Vegetarian Day” in my world. My twitter friend, @BradGansberg and I are doing it, and we would love for you to join us. He said it best on his blog when he said…

The point of a “Micro Change” is to try a “Major Change” on for size in a non threatening way. The thought of becoming a vegetarian for good sounds totally overwhelming. I don’t think I could get up the bravery to give it a try. On the other hand, doing it for a day sounds like a piece of cake. The lack of a lasting commitment makes it much easier to try something new.

Making micro-changes (small changes) can lead to big success, but sometimes its best to take baby steps. I’m not sure that I’d want to be a vegetarian, but I won’t really know unless I try so I’m going to try now.

If you want to make a “micro-change” then tell us about it. Maybe you’ve always wanted to try being a vegetarian for the day. Or perhaps you’ve always wanted to know if you could complete a 5k (like JackSht and Kelly, right friends?)

I am going to do do my best to learn something through this experience. Wish me luck, won’t you please? 🙂

14 thoughts on “Vegetarian For A Day

1. Anonymous

Hello there Kenz!

My name is Miriam, I'm from Germany and have been reading your blog for a while now!

I just wanted to say how much I admire you for your accomplishements, for never quitting and for always taking on new challenges! You have really motivated me!

I just had a vegetarian day yesterday, and it was really easy and felt so good! I had amazing pasta with amazing pesto and fresh tomatoes 🙂

Have a great day!

Miriam

2. Shane G.

I will wish you good luck, but I ain't sure I am willing to give it a shot, even for a day! Let us know your thoughts. If I was going to do a micro change, I think it would be trying to run too, but my ankles doth protest too much!

3. Tammy

I wish I had read this BEFORE I had an Egg McMuffin for breakfast! I'm pretty sure I could be vegetarian for a day. Have fun!

4. PC

I like the idea of micro changes. By focusing on one small change at a time you aren't overwhelmed. My challenge today will be to get 1 hour of intense exercise. I walk a lot, but don't usually break a sweat. Today will be Sweaty Tuesday!

5. Anonymous

I have done Meatless Mondays for a couple of weeks, but just the meat part. You, Kenz, are an inspiration!!!

6. Steelers6

Along the way of my health & fitness journey I find that (like you I think) I crave, or prefer veggies…my palate is changing, and I got a weird look from a Subway sandw worker one time when I asked for just 1 pc of turkey on my sandw..I want mostly veggies it seems! The ratio for me has swung widely to "a dot of meat, and a PILE of veggies" ha. I do still eat meat, but have def gone to lean meats. No hamburger, just turkey burger for everything now, ya know? I don't miss it, either. But if someone demanded these changes at the beginning, or even told me they were coming, it would have probably been both amazing + overwhelming back then. Gotta love those healthy positive changes.

I think you will find at this point in your progress, that it is not hard for one day! Might seem weird bc you are thinking about it/focusing on it, but probably enjoyable, and fairly simple.

I've been ordering grilled portabella sandwiches with frequency recently. I usually only eat 1 of the buns, or none of the bread.
    Chrissy

7. Deb

I used to be a vegetarian. It's not the right choice for my lifestyle now, but I really value having had the experience. It's made me aware of the fact that not every meal needs to have meat in it, and opens up my options for what I can feed my family.

Good luck with your day of vegetarianism!

8. Lisa

Such a good idea. I'm now a vegetarian and I love it, but I didn't really set out to be one. My boyfriend is a long time vegetarian and when we started dating it became easier to order veggie meals and split them when we went out to eat. I gradually fell into the pattern of eating 90% vegetarian and really liked how I felt, so I slowly eased my way into it. I think you're right, that if you decide "I MUST be veggie" it can be really hard and feel annoying and restrictive. But making little changes can make such a big difference!
    <3 vegetables!