Cardio Exercise Healthy Living Motivation

What Motivates You Today?

I am rarely motivated to eat well or exercise by negativity. Okay, I’m never motivated by negativity. But there are days in which I don’t feel like working out. On those days, I have to look at where I’ve come from to remind myself where I want to go, and that is what I did today.

After looking at a few “before” photos there was no question that I needed to walk to the gym so I did. Never again do I want to be the girl who hides behind the table in the hopes that I won’t look so huge.

Nor do I want to be the girl who is satisfied wearing pants that are too long with a sweater that doesn’t fully cover my abdomen.
I know now that it doesn’t have to be that way. I’ve proven it to myself! And I’m going to continue to do what it takes to be a healthier version of me.

Is my “no going back” approach negative? What motivates you to do what you need to do when you don’t feel like doing it?

creatingkayla
    November 4, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I love your "no going back" approach! I would use the same approach to motivate myself but I lost weight and then went back to my old ways. So, I'm now going for the "no going back a SECOND time" approach! 🙂

When I don't feel like doing something, I remind myself how great I will feel afterwards. Today is a rainy day here, and as much as I wanted to curl up on the couch and nap all day, I pushed myself to put my workout DVD and rock it.

Keep up the amazing work, Kenz! I'm a new commenter, but have been a lurker for quite some time. You have come so far!

Jayne Doe
    November 4, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I don't think your no going back approach is negative.

I am trying to motivate myself positively this time around… and the rewards are being healthier, happier and having more energy for my family.

Rachel
    November 4, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Hi there Kenz, I kinda posted something just like this on my blog today. I am motivated somewhat like you are. I am tired of being the 'fat' girl. I am tired of hiding behind people when we take group pics, I am tired of being tired. That is what motivates me. I have seen results, I know it IS possible. I want to be a success story. Bottom line. 🙂

Shannon
    November 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Hi,
    I Just found your website from another website, and I wanted to tell you that you are an inspiration! Keep up the fantastic work, I struggle with my weight everyday, even though I have been at my goal weight for 4 years. Its an everyday battle. I look forward to reading your blog.
    Thank you for sharing your story.
    Shannon

Kristina
    November 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I love your "no going back" attitude. I have always been UNmotivated. Even when I see a really horrible picture of myself, I still DONT want to exercise. But you!! Wow…look at how far you have come. You look awesome and if there is anything that CAN motivate me……its that YOU did it and so can I! Thanks!!

Jill
    November 4, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Great post! I think it takes a lot of courage to to look back so honestly like that!

Haley
    November 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I'm never motivated… just committed…

Committed to not being obese again… Committed to not gaining back the 140 pounds I lost… Committed to not giving up on myself

but I dont ever really think I'm motivated by anything… well maybe the shopping 🙂

Rhonda
    November 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Great post! You've come so far..so I second the no going back! I just want you to know you have been on my mind a lot! I'm thinking of you and praying for you! Hugs my friend!

kristi
    November 4, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I always tell myself "You have worked too hard to go back to the way you used to eat". I never minded how I looked but when my health became an issue, I decided to make a change!

Stephanie
    November 5, 2010 at 12:22 am

I don't think your approach is negative at all. Look at how far you've come! You look fantastic!

Eliza
    November 5, 2010 at 1:50 am

It's kind of funny, I just wrote on my blog about celebrating the good things in a day where things didn't go to well. We do what we have to do on the days that those things will work.

You have a lovely attitude, I so enjoy reading your blog.

Shawn
    November 5, 2010 at 2:23 am

You're so right. You cannot change what has already happened only try not to repeat it!

"No going back"!

Sarah
    November 5, 2010 at 2:28 am

I like it. And completely agree. You know me, I bounced a few, but no more than I weigh now. I left it behind and if you had to put it into words, No going back is how I feel about maintenance. Six years this coming week…

As always, rooting for you!

Impulsive Addict
    November 5, 2010 at 2:53 am

I too have to fight with my weight. it's an every day battle. I belong to a gym (and have for over 4 years now) but it takes some major effort and commitment to get myself there. I may go 5 days a week or I may skip 2 weeks but I do try to get outside and at least walk. I'm sad to say that I envy those skinny b's that NEVER have to work out OR watch what they eat. I may secretly hate them.

Steelers6
    November 5, 2010 at 3:15 am

I push through bc I really like how I FEEL now on my way down the scale, eating better, & exercising.

I must also throw some vanity in there and say I also like looking better (um, IS that vanity? Who doesn't??) and shopping more easily. Yahoo! I'm in a groove, or a rut, but it's working, so I'm stayin'.
    Keep it up! Chrissy

Barb
    November 5, 2010 at 3:36 am

Hi Kenz!

What motivates me each day . . . YOU DO!! I don't comment very often, so, so, busy, but I always check out your post! Keep up the good work, you look so great!

Hugs,
    Barb

Anonymous
    November 5, 2010 at 5:41 am

The thing that motivates me is being able to sit in my car and not only be able to put the seat belt on but I have to (or better yet) I am able to move the seat up. Before the peddles were so far away. They had to be; I couldn't fit behind the wheel otherwise. Other things that motivate me are being able to walk up a flight of stairs and not feel like I am going to pass out. Being able to tie my shoes & not have to have my loving wife help me with my socks. But most of all people like you! You go girl! I have been following you for a little while now. My name is Big Jim from CT I started at 460 and have lost a total of 136. I feel like a new man. You keep up the good work now…okay.

Starfire
    November 5, 2010 at 5:48 am

*soft smile* – I don't think a "no going back" attitude has to be negative, but it has the potential to be. For what it's worth, I've only just discovered your blog, but everything I've read on your blog so far suggests it's NOT negative in your case.

When I lost a major amount of weight for the second time in the UK I swore "never again" to myself… but I didn't think about at what I did want instead. And when I came back home to New Zealand and the vast majority of my friends were… curvy, with no desire whatsoever to be anything else, the weight crept back on again.

I think most of what I've read here is so focussed on what you do want that your "never again" for these things just reinforce the positive – kind of like the whole carrot and stick approach to motivation 🙂

Shane G.
    November 5, 2010 at 9:50 am

I am thinking no it isn't negative. It is being positive you aren't willing to go backwards, that moving forward is the only option for you!

Annie
    November 5, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Great post, Kenz! I think the no going back phrase is positive! No going back to unhealthy habits, not going back to sweaters that don't fit, no more hiding, no more feeling ashamed. You're amazing and you're doing so well! Hold that head high, girl!

KellyNY
    November 6, 2010 at 2:13 am

I don't think it's negative at all. In fact, I think that's how anyone on a weight loss journey needs to look at it. You think I really want to weigh 271 pounds ever again? No way, man!

KellyNY
    November 6, 2010 at 2:49 am

I don't think it's negative at all. I don't think anyone on a weight loss journey ever wants to look back, in my opinion. Think I ever want to weigh 271 pounds again? No way, man!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    November 6, 2010 at 2:38 pm

OH, that's not a negative approach in my book! That's taking a stand! A declaration of victory and commitment to continue your success!

Very motivating, Kenz. You have come so far, and you can use that power to go farther. Yes, you can!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    November 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I think the comment that I wrote might not have "processed." DARN!

This may be a repeat, but it bears repeating: You are NOT being negative to push yourself forward in that way! You are using the power of your past success to motivate you to move forward. This is not negative. Not at all.

Go, Kenz, go!

Anonymous
    November 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm

"No going back."

No, it's not negative! Instead, I'd say: it's almost universal, that belief.

I can't imagine very many people starting out, or continuing to lose, or successfully maintaining, to then one day wake up and believe: "Gee, maybe it's okay to regain a bunch of weight."

And yet we know that most people do regain.

So, as a belief, it isn't a negative one, but on the other hand, maybe that belief is really no where near enough to "motivate" most people over the long haul.

Sometimes it seems that folks, in general, give their beliefs a lot of power, kind of like the magical thinking of a child: if I really believe X, then Y will surely happen…but I have to really really really believe it, with all my heart.

If only it worked that way. Sigh.

Gosh, didn't mean to write a philosophy treatise here! Sorry.

Anyway, I really wish I knew what motivates me, 'cause whatever it is, it's amazing, and it would be wonderful to package it and give it away for free to everyone who longs to lose weight and become healthier. Sigh. Again.

Brittany
    November 10, 2010 at 3:53 am

I know i don't wanna be the person i was 25/35 pounds ago. I say i was happy but i really wasn't. I feel so much better about myself with just losing that little bit. Can't wait for the rest of it to get gone and never return! I don't want to be another statistic! I want to change and decrease that statistic!

Blue Quill
    February 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Brittany is right, I enjoyed reading her comment because she is willing to exert effort just to look better. I love people who are determined.

BTW, your post is very compelling. I found several people reflecting. Great job. you are such an inspiration.

Me, I am faithfully following at least four out on my several fitness cards. Baby steps but I think this will be worth it.