Cardio Exercise Weigh-In weight loss Weight Watchers

Day 3

I like to track my food intake. That’s one of the reasons (though not the biggest) that I enjoy Weight Watchers. I still need them for meetings, but if you read my blog you already know that I’m not happy with PointsPlus.

I’ve gone back and forth with whether or not it’s a good idea to count calories, but I don’t think that counting calories alone is a formula (personally) for lasting success. I want to do more than just lose weight. I want to live a healthy, balanced life that includes a healthy relationship with food. And there are many facets to healthy eating so I’m concentrating on eating filling foods and following health guidelines that Weight Watchers brought to my attention a year and a half ago.

And because I’m not happy with the new Weight Watchers plan – at least not at this point in my life, I’ve continued my search for tools that will guide me in a healthy direction. And I believe I may have found that tool.

Over they last few days I’ve been tracking my caloric intake at The Daily Plate. I’ve used the app on my iPhone for over a year to search nutrition facts, and they have almost everything I’ve ever tried to find. But now I’m taking it a step further by logging my food through their site. I log exercise and water consumption as well, and each day I can see a breakdown of fat, calories, carbs, protein, etc. Seeing the breakdown is new for me, but I like it.

It is so important to me to continue figuring out what works for me. And while I will continue to attend Weight Watchers meetings (for recorded weigh-ins and support) I look forward to the fun I’ll have with The Daily Plate by Livestrong.

I needed something to get excited about. I needed to feel refreshed after several months of intense physical and emotional struggles, and I’ve found some excitement. I truly believe I have found what works, and I can’t wait to see that reflected on the scale in the coming weeks.

At this point, I don’t need to step on the scale to know if I’m progressing or not. The truth is, the scale is important, but I know my body. And while I need to see it in black and white, I know when I’m losing weight. And I’m confident that I’m headed in the right direction again.

als
    December 30, 2010 at 8:40 am

I use The Daily Plate to track my calories and exercise, and I really like it! I can find pretty much anything on it (even surprising things, like whipped cream vodka), which is nice! I hope it works as well for you! 🙂

Dizzy Girl
    December 30, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Love you Kenz! I quit going to WW a little while ago too, and even though it's been hard and there are days that I'm not sure about it, I really wanted to be able to do this on my own, without someone else guiding me. Not that they don't offer GREAT support and guidance, but if I wanted to be long term successful, I really felt I needed to take things into my own hands and learn how to do it myself. And I am learning that now too. I have made choices in the last few months that have really opened up my eyes and helped me learn more about myself than I normally would've ever learned otherwise. I think in the end- if we are to be truly successful, we need to learn how to do it ourselves.

Anyway- thank you for the kind comment on my blog. Good luck to you in 2011!!

D

Claire
    December 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Kenz, I think what's important is doing what works for you. That being said, I don't really get the difference between counting points or counting calories. You still keep track of what you're eating and the goal on both plans should be to eat the foods that have the best value. I've done both and they both have worked for me, but I chose counting calories for several reasons. I lose much faster counting calories than I do eating at my points limit, and once I know the calories in a food, that's what I track. I don't have to go that extra step and figure out the points. I think they are both plans that work exceedingly well if worked the way they should be done.

I hope you've found what's going to be best for you. Is there any reason why someone on WW can't continue using the old point system? I know when WW first became popular my sister attended meetings and lost over 70lbs. Anytime after that she had the need to lose a few that had come back she always used that original plan, even though WW had progressed to the point system. Just a thought.

Good thoughts for you in 2011!~

Laurie (GastricGirl.com)
    December 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Hi Kenz,
    I had been on Weight Watchers but due to having an ulcer I had a hiatus, to return back to Points Plus. In theory, I think the program is better to eat healthier, but I can't wrap my brain around the changes.. I had the other program so deeply embedded in my mind that the new one seems so hard to take on.
    I've taken a break from WW for a short time, and I will read up on the Points Plus and "practice" the new program before I join WW again. Wrapping my brain around it is the hardest part for me! LOL
    Happy New Year!

Laurie

Kimberly
    December 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Finding a plan that works for you is half the battle. I like the direction that the new WW plan goes in terms of focusing on the quality of the food that we eat vs. just the points of the food, but I agree that calories are important. In the end if we take in less calories than we burn we will lose weight.

Rhonda
    December 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Hey Kenz,

I'm trying to get back to finding what worked for me and tweaking it. It was all about small changes for me. I haven't lost weight since the summer so I need to get on board again! I am thankful I have stayed the same for 6 months now even through holidays. I'm so thankful I don't have even more to lose!

Rhonda
    December 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I'm so glad you are finding inspiration again. Love you Kenz!

Shannon
    December 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Hi Kenz,
    Thank you for sharing your personal story with us. I have been on weight watchers for 10 years, started when I was 29 years old and had 80 pounds to lose, I finally lost it and have kept it off for over 4 years. I love the old weight watchers system, it worked and wondered why they would change something that worked so well.
    On friday of last week, I decided, out with the old plan and in with the new. I have recalculated all the points on the food I have at my house and marked each item with a sharpie, though the points are either the same or a few points higher on the new system, I am noticing that it is a good thing since the Points+ is all about eating healthy, lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein & dairy.
    I am now looking forward to seeing how it works, I don't weigh in until a week from Saturday, but my body feels better already.

Congratulations on your success and I look forward to reading about your progress.

erinmakesitwork
    December 31, 2010 at 1:09 am

Good for you, Kenz. I think I might check out the Daily Plate myself.

jennykate77
    December 31, 2010 at 5:03 am

I've used the Daily Plate app before too and liked it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do/use, but I'm definitely getting back on track ASAP!

Hope you have a happy New Years!

Shelley
    December 31, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I really like Sparkpeople.com.It is similar to dailyplate, I guess. It has a thing where you track your calories, fiber, protein, etc, and also cardio and strength exercises. The message boards are a big part of why I like the site, too.

Delane
    December 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Regardless of what tools you use, weight watchers, DP, Sparkspeople, or counting calories on a piece of paper, these are all just tools and frameworks to eat within.

You are the one who has to make the choices, not the plan you are on. All of them are good and to be honest if you follow them (even momentum vs. points plus) they are mostly the same, with a few tweaks here and there.

These plans are just tools, its your inner self, will and determination that makes you lose weight.

In the end, its calories in calories out and moving the mass that matters.

I hope you find a set of tools that you like.