Mostly Good

Some parts of this year have been extraordinarily tough, but as I was wasting time on Facebook tonight I saw an awesome app that recaps your status messages for the year. And the truth is that the tough times definitely seem the longest, but I had some amazing times this year.

I traveled to Las Vegas, Aruba, Mom’s house, Dad’s house, Nashville, Texas, etc. I watched strangers walk around Times Square at 5 in the morning…I rode my bike along the Hudson River and the Bronx River Parkway. I jogged on the beach – something that was impossible only a couple of years ago. I learned to knit and made some awesome hats and booties. I’m going to learn to crochet pot holders soon. Yes, really…;)

I also reached an awesome milestone when I lost 100 pounds. I met people who motivate me and support me. I learned that even in the toughest times there are moments that make me smile. I completed my first 5k. I successfully baked my first, second and third NY cheesecakes. I loved someone with my whole heart. I grew closer to my sister, watched my niece grow…

My sleeping habits improved. I danced when there was no music playing. I learned about humility (I’m sure that’s a good thing, right?) I discovered a love for sushi, saw Brad Paisley in concert and spent quality time with my dad.

I know the year isn’t quite over yet, but I’ve been thinking about how ready I am for the new year to begin. I’m definitely ready, but “My Year in Status” reminded me how thankful I should be for all of the incredible things I experienced this year. And there’s more to come….

The holidays are upon us, and I love them. I’m excited to go head to Mom’s house to celebrate Christmas. I’m also excited about sitting a few rows up from the ice at a hockey game this weekend. And I can’t wait to exchange gifts with Janna in our 12 Days of Christmas Swap.

My life changed this year…my heart broke, and I struggled physically for a few months. But even in the toughest of times, I’ve had reasons to be thankful. And I am. I’m looking forward to settling into my new life, living alone…just me and my future dog. 🙂 I’m excited about rocking my food intake and workouts and getting closer to my goal and much more that I don’t even know yet.

What will you remember most about this year? What are you looking forward to in the new year?

Jess
    December 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I love that ap on FB and plan on using it to do a year in review as well! As for what I remember most about this year… hmmm… I think that I have grown a whole bunch this year as a person, but still have a ton to do!!!

erinmakesitwork
    December 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm

This is what makes you so remarkable and what makes your story such a wonderful read. Even in a year that has been very tough, you find so much to celebrate.

jennykate77
    December 9, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I'm going to have to check out that status recap thing on Facebook! I bet it's really cool to look back and see all that you've done. I like to do that with my blog! It's a great life journal. I'm hoping 2011 is your best year yet!!

I'm most looking forward to my house being finished, having lots of get-togethers, being with family, the birth of my cousins' baby girl, Breaking Dawn 1, and more parties!! 🙂

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    December 9, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I truly admire you and your perseverance. This year I will remember the most the day we moved in to our new pace and where no longer homeless. Also my youngest Baptism, my oldest High school graduation, and that for the first time we are all together!

SeattleRunnerGirl
    December 10, 2010 at 12:02 am

This was my year as a newlywed…and we figure out how to be HAPPY newlyweds, to boot! That + losing a crap ton of weight = 2010 is an awesome year to remember. 🙂

KellyNY
    December 10, 2010 at 12:44 am

I'm kinda over this year, and looking forward to the new year. I'm looking forward to moving out on my own, buying a condo, and finishing up my thesis. Oh, and will there be reviews of the cheesecake? Please?

Rhonda
    December 10, 2010 at 1:27 am

You did have a great year overall! What a cool thing you found on fb. I haven't seen that.

Praise God…for He is good!

Tammy
    December 10, 2010 at 3:49 am

Why did you have to make a 3rd cheesecake? I've always been afraid to make one. They are good, but not one of my must-have desserts, so I'm OK with just eating them out.

cm hutchinson
    December 10, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I love this post! It is so optimistic. This year has had its ups and downs for me. I celebrated my one year wedding anniversary with my husband, but three days before that my mom passed away. This year has been challenging, but I've seen myself grow so much from it. I'm excited about what 2011 will bring.

Michele
    December 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I am new to your blog, Kenz, because of the Christmas Swap, but I can see you have been though quite a year. I agree with the comments above: your determination and preservation are tangible in what you wrote. Yes, you, and all of us have much to be thankful for, even in a year of so many life events.

I did send the packet out to Erin. Here is my little preview post about it:
    Have a great weekend! Michele