Every Day (More Than Just Reflection)

It’s a new year filled with opportunities to make it better than the last, and I am going to do my best to fully embrace that in the coming months. Looking in the mirror and in photos, I see a bloated, not-so-motivated Kenz who needs to look ahead not back.

I’ve made a list of things I can do in order to be successful in the coming year.  It’s not a list of resolutions nor is it rocket science.  It’s just a reminder of the little things I can do to create big success.  If you have something to add to the list, feel free to share it.

• Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.  I’m pretty comfortable with this  already because I drink more than that most days, but it makes an incredible difference.  It’s important because I feel fuller and more satisfied when I do this.
  • Track my food intake daily.  I did this when I started Weight Watchers, and nothing keeps me as honest about what’s going into my mouth.  Some people don’t do it, but it has been such a big part of my success.  And doing it over the last week has made me acutely aware of just how much I’m consuming.
  • Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables.  This is something I did the first year. Actually, I ate more like 8 to 9 servings per day, and I’m not sure why I’ve let it slip.  I’m not sure why I’ve let any of my habits slip.  Sure, I could provide some pretty solid excuses, but this journey isn’t about that.  It’s about making today better so today I will eat fruits and veggies.  I was craving a banana at lunch so I ate one.  I also love spaghetti squash, apples, sweet potatoes and a variety of other healthy foods so I’ll stock up on those today.
  • Look in the mirror and take lots of photos.  No one ever has to tell me to take pictures. Ha..I’m pretty obsessed with my camera regardless of what I’m doing.  But over the weekend, I saw myself in photos, and I saw someone who is struggling to keep the weight off.  I looked bloated (which is no surprise since I inhaled about 5,500 mg of sodium more than one or two days in a row.)
  • Exercise!  Working out has made such a substantial difference in the way I move, the way I feel and the way I look.  I absolutely believe that cardio and strength training has been my best friend along this journey.  So why have I allowed myself to regress?  Asking myself these questions is important, but not as important as doing it anyway.  When I was the healthiest version of myself I exercised even when I didn’t want to, and I often found that I enjoyed it.  I know it may take time to get on fire again, but I’ve said it so many times.  The days that I don’t feel like working out are the most important days to workout.
  • Stay positive.  Losing weight requires a positive attitude.  I’m happy to say that I haven’t lost that, but it’s very important to remember to forgive myself for the mistakes I’ve made.  And I’ve made many. We all make mistakes – big ones even, but we can learn from them and do better. And concentrating on those mistakes will not make the future any better.
  • Be honest with myself and others.  Okay, here it goes.  I’m struggling with weight-loss big time, and it’s not easy to admit that to myself or anyone.  But last night, my mom called me on it.  She lovingly expressed that I’m not doing what made me so successful before, and she’s right.  So there it is.  I’m struggling, but I’m taking baby steps forward.  And I will not quit.

I’m sure I could add many things to this list, but these things will lead healthier, more successful year for me.  There’s a long road ahead, but I’ve experienced enough success to know how great I feel when I’m doing my best. I’m going to remind myself of that everyday if I have to because at this time next year, I want to be much closer to my ultimate goal.

Jessica
    January 3, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Kenz…Can you share what you do for strength training? I really struggle in that area and could use any advise you have to offer! Thanks.

Steph
    January 3, 2011 at 9:03 pm

My biggest obstetrical is exercise, by the time I get home from work, I am drained.

Amanda
    January 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Gotta love Mums for pointing out to you what you can't admit to yourself.

We all stumble & struggle, if we didn't everyone would be thin!

Chubby McGee
    January 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm

The pictures are what always get me. I see them and feel sick to my stomach. I even beg my relatives to keep the camera off me (and they never do). Argh!

You're going to kick butt. Can't wait to see you this time next holiday season. 🙂

Melissa E.
    January 3, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Weight loss isn't supposed to be a straight line of perfect behavior, leading directly to a slim physique. It's a roller coaster of epic proportions, and I don't mean the scale. I mean your emotions. It's normal for your body to rebel and regress and then find a happy medium that you can live with. Don't be too hard on yourself–everyone gains a little weight during the holidays.

I speak as someone who has struggled with her weight and body image since the early 1990s. You will make it–you have the right drive and a generally positive attitude.

Good luck with your wild ride! 🙂

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    January 3, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Jessica,

I do 30-Day Shred for strength training. That includes push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, squats and a lot of other things. It's awesome. 🙂

Jessica
    January 3, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Thanks Kenz!

Sabrina
    January 3, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I had a horrible picture moment this weekend! Its my motivation and the source of my re-commitment.

Here's to kicking butt in 2011!

J
    January 4, 2011 at 1:39 am

Love the list. Those are all on mine…well, except for the picture part. I still get freaked out about putting my pic up on my blog.

We can do this! 🙂

Tammy
    January 4, 2011 at 1:47 am

Love the changes to the blog! I had a good day today as far as staying on track. It is easier for me when I'm at work because I'm not tempted by walking through the kitchen! You are going to have a great year, and so am I! Bring it, 2011!!!!

Michele
    January 4, 2011 at 2:13 am

Stay strong. Those are good goals. Baby steps will get you there. Michele

2011 is about me
    January 4, 2011 at 2:18 am

I saw a horrible picture moment of mine too (go fig :o). It sure is a wakeup call. I really applaud you for not hiding away from mirrors/cameras. You have some great plans and I know you're going to do great!

Val
    January 4, 2011 at 2:41 am

Love the recommittment! Your journey has been very inspiring to me. I wish you all the best in your continued journey! You're awesome girl 🙂

Shane G.
    January 4, 2011 at 10:49 am

Here is my message to you. I expect the Kenzinator back immediately! No hem hawing, no well maybe tomorrow. You had a break, now get after it!