Junk Food weight loss

Is There Such A Thing As Happy Foods?

My new blog friend, J, has recently stopped drinking soda, and she has written about it on her blog.  Maybe she won’t struggle with it as much as I did (at least I hope not,)  but I can tell her from my own experience that it’s possible to live a happy and fulfilled life without a single coke. 😉  If you haven’t visited J’s blog, take a minute to leave her some encouraging words at http://weightlossforrealthistime.blogspot.com/.  She’s rocking it!

I don’t spend a lot of time posting blogs that I’ve written in the past, but perhaps I should once in a while.  I wrote the post below on July 9, 2009, and I liked reading this because I remember exactly how I felt when I wrote it.  I was still discovering my love for weight-loss, and I was passionate about changing my relationship with food.  And while that passion was hidden in my self-loathing for  a few months last year, I feel it again.  And it feels good to see that what I hoped would happen has happened.

I remember thinking on that night in July of 2009 that I couldn’t imagine living a life free of soft drinks.  Perhaps that sounds inane to some, but I dreamed of a day that seemed impossible – a day in which I could say “Eh, I don’t care if I ever drink another Dr. Pepper or not.”  I wasn’t sure I’d ever get to that point, but I’m here.  And I’ve been here for a long time.

Originally posted: July 9, 2009

Some people eat unhealthy food when they’re sad or lonely. Some people eat unhealthy food when they are bored. I tend to want unhealthy foods when I’m happy. Or, maybe somewhere along the line I found happiness in unhealthy foods. Don’t get me wrong. I have never been a *binge eater. But I am reasonably sure that I get excited about the prospect of pepperoni pizza with extra cheese and a coke, while watching a chick flick on my big TV, more than the average person.

I get excited about a lot of things, but in recent months I’ve gotten honest with myself. And I’ve learned that Dr. Pepper (and other junk) was making me (temporarily) happy. Thankfully, I have other reasons to be happy because I don’t drink it, and I’m better off without it. But I still get excited about the idea of having Chinese takeout with a bottle of Dr. Pepper.

But these things don’t excite me NEARLY as much as they used to. In fact, I have had two small bottles of Dr. Pepper sitting in the fridge since my friend left last week. And I had a dozen when she arrived. I was totally tempted to drink one when I first bought them. (It’s her favorite drink too.) But I reminded myself to think about how happy I would feel if I lost weight this week…and if I could wear sundresses because my ankles were not swollen. Yes, that’s right…drinking soda or having too much sodium makes me retain water. Ewe.

So tonight the Dr. Pepper was poured into the sink. Not a drop touched my lips, and I could not feel better about it than I do right now. As much fun as it would be to drink a soda or eat four slices of pizza, I can honestly say that it was MUCH MORE FUN to get on the scale tonight and weigh four pounds less than I did last week.

The junk would have been nice for the moment, but how would I have felt after the moment passed? On the other hand, I can take the weight loss with me. I can hold my head high, knowing that I weigh 34 pounds less than I did a few months ago.

So this week I learned something very important about myself. I will not allow what I want at the moment to keep me from what I want most of all — which is to have a healthy, adorable body. 🙂
No soda or pizza or Chinese food will ever be worth giving up on the goal.

Do you think there’s such a thing as healthy foods?  Has you love for food changed throughout your weight-loss journey?

*A year and a half later, I’m still not sure exactly what the word binge means to me, but when I wrote this I thought of it as eating uncontrollably – sometimes in secret.

Erin
    January 28, 2011 at 5:16 am

What an interesting/ironic post. I had my last Dr. Pepper last Sunday and I have finally gotten through the withdrawl part of it; it was intense! I feel better now, and I'm glad I've given it up because my body wasn't responding well to caffeine.

By the way, I am obsessed with your blog. I discovered it a few days ago and have been reading it every night. Congratulations on your wonderful journey!

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    January 28, 2011 at 5:45 am

Wow Erin..thank you! I don't think anyone has ever been obsessed with my blog before. I love it. 😉

And congrats on dropping the Dr. Pepper. It sounds like it was much easier for you than it was for me. Whew.

Summer
    January 28, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Fantastic post and repost! Funny this is about pop. I just had a Pepsi a couple of nights ago and it was too sweet to drink! Never thought I would fell that way. I guess eating all those veggies really has changed my taste. 🙂

jennykate77
    January 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I could go forever without soda, but I have other things that I can't imagine ever having again…but I'm working on them.

I'm not sure about the happy foods. I think for me, when I can eat things without guilt, that makes me happy.

I just noticed that you changed your header. Cute. 🙂 Hope you have a fabulous Friday!!

Missy
    January 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I gave up pop on Jan 1, 2011. Haven't touched a drop! It's been nothing but water or sparkling water with flavor. I used to drink around 5 or 6 cans a day. I feel more awake and have a little more energy.

Annie
    January 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Giving up soda has been tough on me! I admire you for being able to do it. I drink much much less than I used to and don't keep it in the house, but I'll have one every three or four days. If I could get it down to once a week, I'd be happy for awhile and could then focus on letting it go for good. I want to give it up, but I don't do cold turkey with anything well and tend to binge later if I do.

h e a t h e r
    January 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm

The good thing is that Dr. Pepper was put to better use down the drain. It cleaned out your pipes!! LOL Great job! My favorite drink is water! Gotta have it all the time!

Chrissy
    January 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I too dropped soda last summer. I didn't think I could go a day without a pepsi, but I am proud to say that not a single drop has passed my lips since August 4th of last year. The way I feel about it is that if I have one I might regret it and feel bad (or weak), but I will never regret NOT having one. I feel strong for being able to turn something that I was totally addicted to and that was really unhealthy for me into something that I don't even think about and that makes me proud of myself.

Julie
    January 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for your post and your re-post about happy foods and drinking soda.

I was really frustrated last night after my weight watchers meeting when I found out I had gained FOUR pounds in one week. I started thinking about what would have caused me to gain that much weight — soda! Things have been crazy lately and we have been struggling to eat at home. We've been grabbing fast food and, of course, a Coke.

I have a long drive to make today and I am determined to do so without a soda. I had my last soda last night and I am going to make a pledge to myself that I won't have one again — diet or not. I don't enjoy diet soda so why drink it?!

Thanks for your blog. It has been motivating for me as I'm trying to make significant lifestyle changes.

LeFebvre Momma
    January 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Thank you for your insights – I am not addicted to pop, but I am addicted to food – it makes me happy, and I have just recently found myself not really thinking about it. I prepare my food (and its good) but it doesn't control me as much anymore. I have a long way to go, but I will make it. Thanks for your encouraging words.

J
    January 29, 2011 at 1:52 am

Thanks for the link to my blog! 🙂 I am so glad we are blog friends.

I can totally relate to your past-post. In fact, I've done posts on breaking up with Diet Coke (still haven't had one) and one called "Sneaky, Sneaky." That one was about me eating horrible foods in private. Sneaky eating. When I was sad, happy, excited, angry, upset, etc, etc, etc.

I am so glad to be moving on with life. Not revolving around what I eat!

We are changing, aren't we!
    J

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    January 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

Yes J..lots of changes, and it's great! =)

pinkvision
    January 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

So nice to hear there is a fun filled life without soda! 🙂 I've never really liked the stuff so it was no hardship for me to give it up. But other things – ummm, cheese for instance, 😮 still working on it. Like you say, small changes will get us there. 🙂

Leslie
    January 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Like J, I still need to break up with Diet Coke. I've cut down, but it's not a healthy drink.

I really like this post–I am trying to eat intuitively and lose weight without including the word "diet." Not surprisingly, I haven't lost more than a few pounds in a couple of months. My biggest roadblock is having "treats" too often, usually in the form of pizza, so I can relate to your old habits! Still, change is underway and it feels good to be eating better.