Pros and Cons and Immediate Plans

I’ve admitted in previous posts that I’m not sure what the future holds, but I finally feel like I’m starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel of uncertainty.  Changes are coming, and decisions have to be made.  And the time is now.

New York is the only place that has ever felt like home to me.  From the first day I was there, I knew I was where I was supposed to be.  I can’t explain why a girl from the middle of nowhere would find herself at home in such a place, but some things just can’t be explained.  Sometimes you just know.

During the last few months I’ve been quietly trying to make plans for the future…figure out where I’m going..where I’ll settle down…and though it hasn’t be easy to admit over the last few months, my heart still lives in New York.  When I’m honest with myself I know it’s where I want to be, but I’ve overcomplicated it in my mind so many times that it has been nearly impossible to make a plan.

I’ve considered going to Austin, at least temporarily, and I think it’s a good idea to move there at some point over the next month before moving back to New York in September (at which time I will go back to school.)  Does this sound like a good plan? Yep.

There are countless (obvious) reasons to love NY so I’ll just share my thoughts on Austin.  I’d like to go somewhere easy for a while – where I can find people who are like-minded and friendly.  And Austin is definitely a hot spot for intelligent, cultured, single people who want to enjoy a scaled-down city life.

And I know awesome people there already.  A few of them are on the same journey as I am so I’d have an inside track to the best Weight Watchers meetings, a workout buddy and friends who will watch chick flicks and eat sushi with me and join 5k races, etc.

The weather is another plus because I could ride my bike to work and to the gym most days and find pretty trails to enjoy in my free time.  It’s a great place to be active, and that would be a big plus in weight-loss.  Seriously, as I write about Austin I think I could fall in love with Texas again and even stay there…maybe?

But the point is that I don’t need to commit to spending the rest of my life in Austin or anywhere right now.  I’m 30 years old, single and going back to school to take my life in an entirely different direction.  That’s a lot to take in especially when I add the pressure of finding all of the answers today.

Right now I know that I love New York, and I can’t imagine not going back.  I also know that I have enjoyed living close enough to Dad over the last few months to see him once a week or head to his house when I just feel like visiting with him for a few days so staying Tulsa is an option too.

I also know that I really like the Mountain Man, but he would agree that Texas is a great place to live.  He’s a Texan, and he’d want you to know it. 😉  And while we are slowly building a strong relationship together, he would probably laugh or scream if he thought I’d consider staying there to see how things go with him.  We haven’t been dating long enough for that kind of pressure…not even close.  But Mountain Man and I will talk about that if the time comes.

Dad is a Texan too, by the way, who absolutely loved living in Austin.  He’s definitely in favor of me heading back to Texas, but he’ll support me in whatever I choose to do.  Mom will too (even if she takes a little more convincing, right Mom?)

So now that I have a few options laid out, I will take a few days to think them over.  I’m quite sure that if I stay in Tulsa it won’t be forever.  And while I’m not willing to say I’d stay in Austin forever either, it could be kind of awesome now.  And it’s a place I could stay long-term if I wanted to.  And New York is definitely on my mind, but the earliest I’d go back is September.  And I have to live somewhere until then.

I’m not sure if I wrote this post to ask for advice or just to simplify these options in my mind.  As I said earlier, I have overcomplicated it so much.  I’ve looked at my future as a problem instead of an opportunity.  I was dreading these changes, and now I’m looking forward to them.

My workouts and eating habits have been solid this week, and I’m ready to move forward with the rest of my life too.

Annie
    January 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm

My sister lives near Austin, in Georgetown. When I lived in OK (Altus for three years thanks to the US Air Force), we'd go visit her there often and I liked it a lot! I can see you likely it there and being happy. :o) Best of luck on your new adventures! I love the new header at the top, by the way. 🙂

Amanda
    January 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I'm an Australian, so have no opinion whatsoever on any of those places 🙂 I do however think that moving towns can be a really positive thing. A fresh start, and the climate sounds perfect in Austin for weight loss!

Good luck with your decision.

Formerly known as Frau
    January 6, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Good Luck in where ever you decide to settle!

Mae Flowers
    January 6, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Sounds like a great plan! What are you going back to school for?

SeattleRunnerGirl
    January 6, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Sometimes writing things down works just like talking them out with a friend – it helps YOU understand exactly where your brain is at! Whatever you decide you know we will support you, and I look forward to knowing what (and where) comes next for you!

Tammy
    January 6, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I think it is great that you have taken the time to go through all your options, and to be excited about the opportunities that await you. I am jealous that you are going to have friends in Austin that are on the same journey and who will do things with you that are healthy and fun. Best wishes on whatever path you decide to take – you have the spirit to come out on top!

Pinky
    January 6, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Good luck with your decision making Kenz – follow your heart and you will make the right decision for you!
    PS- The blog update looks great!
    Lisa in NZ

Kelly
    January 6, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Kenlie, since I'm from NY, I'm a little biased. But it sounds like you've made up your mind to come back, since you've said several times that your heart is in NY. I know you'll get here, it's just a matter of time. :0)

Joanna
    January 6, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I didn't realize you were currently so close to me – I'm in NW Arkansas!!

Anywho – I can't really offer an opinion. I lived in Texas for a bit – but it was BFE Texas, and I didn't care for it. I'm a city girl at heart, and would love to live in the city again.

You will make the right decision – go with your heart, your gut, and your drive. 😉

Becca
    January 6, 2011 at 11:51 pm

YAY!! YAY!! YAY!! I am thrilled you will be moving closer – I for one will be happy to meet you for a long walk around Town Lake!!!

I went out today for a long run and it was 70!!!

I am proud of you for making decisions- these are big ones!!

~Becca

Michele @ www.healthycultivations.com
    January 7, 2011 at 12:29 am

Living with uncertainty is difficult… no matter how optimistic or confident we might be. I'm glad you're starting to see the light at the end of your uncertainty tunnel.

J
    January 7, 2011 at 12:38 am

Good luck with your decisions!!! I wish you the best! 🙂

Heather B.
    January 7, 2011 at 2:07 am

AUSTIN, AUSTIN, AUSTIN, AUSTIN!!!! I'm not biased at all!!!!! 😉

And even if you don't choose Austin I support you in all your journeys!!! Do what is best for you girl!

Brittany
    January 7, 2011 at 5:16 am

AUSTIN!!! But we'll still be friends wherever you go, though 🙂

marisol
    January 7, 2011 at 5:35 am

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. I think you should do what is best for you.

Good luck!

Ms. Chunky Chick
    January 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Congrads on a solid week! I know when ever you choose it will be amazing!

Fran
    January 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I look forward to what you're going to decide. I think it's awesome when people have the nerve to move to a new place. I'm a chicken shit when it comes to that. Lived at home till I was 25 years and moved to a different city to live with my boyfriend where I'm still living.