Trying Something New

I tried something new yesterday. Instead of consuming my normal 2174 calories per day, I consumed only 1850. I wanted to eat more, probably because I’m accustomed to it, but I have to admit that I didn’t feel hungry. I ended the day with 1500 then decided I didn’t have an excuse not to workout so I burned almost 600 calories and opted to eat Fage Greek Yogurt (and rice cakes) post workout which added to my caloric intake. My deficit for the day was still over 1600 which feels like a pretty solid win. Today I’ll save 150 calories or so for my post-workout snack. Progress, right?

It was eye-opening to realize that I may not need as many calories/points as I’ve been taking in lately. Counting points with Weight Watchers allows for more consumption based on our choices, but I learned that I can be satisfied with less than I thought.

I was totally satisfied (until my workout) consuming fewer calories.  Does this mean I should limit myself to 1500 calories per day indefinitely? I’m not sure yet, but I’ll try it for the next several days and reevaluate.  I’m also interested to see how much I can eat when I’m making wise food choices as opposed to having a pop tart as an evening snack.

Over the next few weeks, I’d like to turn my attention back to whole foods.  I’ve permanently eliminated many of the processed foods that used to be part of my daily intake, but I’m ready for more.  I want to start focusing on micro-nutrients in addition to the macro-nutrients that have been my focus all along. I have a lot to learn, but my mind and body feels ready for this challenge.

In other news, I gave myself a mani/pedi last night.  It’s a great way to keep yourself busy when you want to snack instead. 😉   I used one of my all-time favorites for the first time in quite a while, “You Can’t Tappas This” by OPI.

And because I’m usually freezing, I painted my toes with socks on…hehe..Sometimes a girl has to be practical. Right?

I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.  Wish me luck as I try to learn more about what I’m putting into my body everyday. Knowledge is power, right?  I haven’t said this in a while, but it’s true…I want to be thin, but I want to be healthy too.

Amanda
    January 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm

If that's your hand holding the polish, I'm terribly jealous of your nails. My nail beds are so short that I always look like a little kid, and dark polish is totally out of the picture!! Yours, however, are gorgeous 🙂

Good call on the whole foods. I've dropped a bunch of processed stuff from my everyday consumption and have found that, for me, eating more whole foods really helps with satiation.

kristi
    January 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I try to do around 1500 or 1600 a day but haven't been able to work out much this week…my weight goes up and down by a pound or two. Can't wait to get a Wii so I can start working out with it too!

J
    January 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Oh my word! I love that color nail polish and you should totally be a "hand model" for them! (Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode or something? hee hee hee). Lovely! Great idea too, to keep the mind off food!

I joined Weight Watchers! I am very excited about it and it hasn't been as hard as I thought. 🙂

I'll keep you posted.
    J

Jess
    January 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Nice mani/pedi! I love the OPI colors!

Annie
    January 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Pretty nail color! My favorite is Blackberry Bogota and it has been for a loooooong time. I wear other colors in the summer, but it is always my "go to" color fall and winter.

I don't count calories, as you know. Just make sure you're eating enough so that your body doesn't retaliate and think you're starving yourself. You're doing so well and making choices to be HEALTHY over thin…awesome! Good for you!

Chubby McGee
    January 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Good work! It is funny how much we can eat and still feel full with even while keeping points/cals low, isn't it? It's like a weird epiphany that we can eat less and still feel satiated. I love it!

Also, I love the color of the nails. Very pretty. And you have gorgeous feet. I'm jealous. Mine look like Fred Flintstone's! LOL!

Patsy
    January 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I love OPI nail polish! That's a great colour – will look out for it. :o) I loved their Alice in Wonderland range recently.

I'm on 1500 calories a day and don't feel I'm missing out at all. Just have to go with what works for you!

Deb
    January 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm

First off, love the nails!

Good work on the calorie reduction. Sounds like it's working for you right now.

Peg C
    January 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Great idea with the mani/pedi and really great results! Your nails are beautiful and you didn't snack!

Steelers6
    January 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Oh that is interesting, cutting back the cals by that much, and you were ok with it. I'll be curious to see how this goes, and what the scale has to say about it.

I remember you mentioning OPI Root Beer one time, and tried to find it .. never did. When you showed this color today, I reached for my bottle right by my laptop to see if it was the same as yours, but it is Bogota Blackberry. Similar. Your mani (& pedi) both look super. Of course you have beautiful nails with which to work, but you also seem like you have a knack for giving manis!

Now you will excuse me while I polish my mostly stubby nails..pout and sigh.

Chrissy

Jill
    January 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I've been surprised too about how little I can eat somedays and still be completely satisfied. I'm sure you already know this, but cutting too many calories can be counter productive sometimes because your body starts to think it's starving and your metabolism slows down. I think it's a good idea thought to explore what your body really needs on a daily basis and take it one day at a time. Some days less will probably do it, and other days it won't. Evaluating where your calories are coming from is always smart though! 🙂 I hope this works for you, you're doing great!

Fran
    January 16, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Boy do I love the nails! I love the OPI's they have such great colors.

As for the calories I would not go from 2100 to 1500 but first start at 1900 or something and cut back a bit later. One day of 1500 when you are used to 2100 is easy but keeping it up could be more difficult. I would take smaller steps but that's just my way of thinking.

Heather B.
    January 16, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Going from 2100 to 1500 is going to throw your body into starvation mode! 600 calories is a HUGE jump so it should be a gradual change so your body keeps losing instead of stalling on ya! Especially since you workout so much!! I think you are doing great though! I am super proud of you!

~ Darla ~
    January 16, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I love OPI. Your nails look gorgeous.

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    January 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Amanda,

Thanks for the compliment on my nails..:)

And you guys are probably right..rather than 1500, I think I'll go to 1800 which is still substantially less. I'm looking for permanent change here. 🙂

Deb Willbefree
    January 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Great job with the cals and the nails! You have the longest nail beds I have ever seen!

Re: whole foods. I know that when I was on track with that, I felt MUCH better. Much. It makes a difference and now that the holidays and birthday extravaganze is over, I'm back to it. NMFF for me. (No More Food Foolishness)

Deb

alwaysjessie
    January 16, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I love your mani/pedi color! So pretty. I'm supposed to eat a lot of points and a lot of days I don't eat them all. And I end up being okay with that, lol. Also! I want to thank you:) I was going to have tortilla chips and hot dogs for dinner. Then you tweeted aboout a DELICIOUS dinner and I decided I wanted to make the dinner I had planned on (chicken, potatoes, green beans, corn.) So thank you! haha =D

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    January 17, 2011 at 1:12 am

I've been good with the exercise, but definetly realizing how many points is in each item has help tons. I'm daily inspired by you.

Love that color! MUST.HUNT.IT.DOWN.

Melissa E.
    January 17, 2011 at 1:36 am

That color is awesome. What impresses me, though, is your ability to paint your own nails without making a mess of it. Mine always look like they were done by a six-year-old, so I have to go to the experts.

Isn't it funny how something as simple as painting your nails can make a day brighter?

Vi
    January 17, 2011 at 1:58 am

Love that color and I agree w/ a previous poster you has purty nails 🙂

I have been thinking of doing a similar thing myself w/ PointsPlus. I think it's too many calories and that's why my loss is so slow or the lose 2 gain one thing. I only have ten to lose and I don't know how I'm gonna do that now that my points are at 29. they will never go lower than that and in the past they would decrease w/ every new weight decade. I'm frustrated so I may do an intuitive type eating thing w/in my points. I wont starve my body cause I eat at least 3-5 servings of free fruit a day.

*shrug* I wish WW gave the option of doing old points vs PointsPlus. I always chose whole foods unless I wanted junk so I didn't need the new nudge. *meh* rambling now cause I'm frustrated.

Can't wait to see what your progress report is and I agree that maybe 1800 is a safer jump to not put your metabolism at risk.

Rhonda
    January 17, 2011 at 2:08 am

I love OPI and your nails look fabulous as always. I think changing things up every now and then is a good thing. You want to keep your body guessing! Whole foods is a great thing to do too!

Laurie
    January 17, 2011 at 2:35 am

The other day i was at the bus stop with my daughter and someone was wearing socks like that. She said she is from Michigan and since it is so cold there everyone has those socks for pedis. I had never seen them and now twice in one week.
    What is this macro micro thing you speak of?

SeattleRunnerGirl
    January 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I think your reduced-calories experiment is a GREAT idea. When I'm eating lots of veggies, lean protein, legumes, etc. and limiting the less-healthy stuff, I am amazed at how much less I need in terms of calories to feel satisfied and nourished. Let us know how it goes, and best wishes to your mom!

marisol
    January 18, 2011 at 5:05 am

I'm on WW and it's working for me. But I have been trying to eat healthier by eating fruits and veggies rather than a 100 calorie snack pack. Little changes definitely make a difference. Good luck on your "experiment".

And I love that OPI color.

Scott
    January 20, 2011 at 4:16 am

That's amazing…100 pounds? Good for you!

This has been working wonders for me!:)