Junk Food Milestones

Craving Crap

The last 36 hours have been rough for me because I’ve been craving snacks.  I try to keep the fridge and the pantry stocked with healthy snacks, but right now I just want junk.  I can’t explain it, but I don’t think I have to…right?

I want cake or donuts or deep fried cheese sticks or Reese’s Crunchy Peanut Butter Cups!  What?!  My mind is in a frenzy, but thankfully none of these things are readily accessible right now.  Sure, I could go to the bakery or the grocery store, but that’s probably not a good idea at the moment.

I’m embarrassed to say that while I was in line at the supermarket a few days ago, I actually longed for the days that I didn’t count calories or points….the days when I would see a pack of cheese and crackers with little sausages and think “yay! I’ll take it!” instead of “ewe..that must be like 400 calories!”

I found myself wishing I could go back for a day or an hour…just long enough to eat sugar cookies loaded with frosting or turtle cheesecake without thinking about whether or not it was worth the calories.

Then, like a lightening bolt, I threw the cheese/crackers/sausage combo pack (which did look disgusting for the record) back on the shelf remembering how exhausted I used to feel just walking around the grocery store. There were times that I drove around for half an hour because I didn’t want to walk across the parking lot.

I thought about the times I skipped going out for food and other things (opting for delivery) because it was raining outside, and I was worried that I would slip and break a bone or bruise my knees. And forget snow!  That was more nerve racking than rain – not a good thing when you live in New York.

I remember making excuses to skip going to Central Park because it seemed too daunting, being afraid I’d break the frame of a bicycle or the time that I broke the driver’s seat because my excess weight was finally too much for it to handle.  And suddenly, the ridiculous cravings are gone.

Losing weight is so much more rewarding than the juiciest, most decadent bacon cheeseburger will ever be even with all-you-can-eat fries.  And while that should be obvious by now, sometimes I need to remind myself.  I can eat a piece of cake or peanut butter cups once in a while if I do it in a responsible manner, but looking at the big picture helps me remember what I really wantto be the healthiest, most confident version of myself.

Now, after reflecting on this post, I can proclaim victory against the cravings that I’ve been fighting since early yesterday, and I’m looking forward to a rockin’ workout later today.  Am I the only one who wakes up wishing I could eat lots of junk food on random days? How do you conquer cravings?

PlushBelle
    February 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Everyday you inspire me. <3

Kenlie Tiggeman
    February 23, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Wow..thank you Belle..that comment just made me smile. =)

trippingtiffies
    February 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I have NSRED. Basically, I eat in my sleep with little to no memory of doing so. In addition, I crave sweet foods with an almost unyielding desire. This is a problem when trying to lose weight, seeing as how I have ransacked the kitchen, living room, etc. trying to unearth sweets while still being, technically, asleep.

Really bad for weight loss.

KCLAnderson (Karen)
    February 23, 2011 at 9:12 pm

No you are not the only one. And something I realized while reading this post is how much I used to hate myself for having the cravings in the first place, whether I acted on them or not. I've gotten to the point where it's not so much that I have to conquer the cravings…I don't have them as much as I used to. So sometimes I give in. In fact, I JUST wrote a post about doing just that. Other times? I write or read other's blogs!

J
    February 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh, me too! I have struggled all.day.long. today!!! This is a first for me really (since January 1). I almost did a fast-food driveby but resisted. I ate my one truffle (2 points)…but I am craving stuff like crazy!!!

Hopefully, this too shall pass.
    J

Tammy
    February 23, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Perfect timing – I've been going through the same thing this week. I gave in a couple of times, but I've resisted at others. I do long for the days when I could eat anything and not care. I wish I could get to the point where I could honestly say that being thin is better than any food can taste. I just have never truly believed that – hence, the weight problem, I guess! Good for you that you are not giving in! You are my role model!

Zepherine
    February 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Sometimes, even 2 years late, I still want to eat junk food like I used to. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Thank-you for this post.

P90Xer
    February 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

SO inspirational! Really enjoyed your thought process on pushing away the junk. It is hard to remember what life was like before calorie counting. Some days I think it would be nice, but then I can't imagine what weight I would be if I let my cravings reign. Thanks for the encouraging post!

Shane G.
    February 24, 2011 at 1:17 am

oh no, not even close to being the only one Kenz. In fact, I just recently caved on a box of Samoas that was sitting around on the hearth of my fireplace taunting me. I just let myself do it sometimes cause 98% of the time, I don't do it. Just keep up the good fight Kenz, you are doing great.

Kelly
    February 24, 2011 at 1:50 am

You are soooo not alone. I am still struggling with junk food cravings. Yoou atleast fought ur cravings.

Tammy
    February 24, 2011 at 1:54 am

Gosh, I wish I was there. I mean your mental state and willpower. I am not yet, but all the points you made against eating the craved crap totally makes sense. I just want to be as strong as you are now. So difficult…

sorryaboutyourweight
    February 24, 2011 at 3:44 am

I completely understand. I'm still amazed that so many places deliver! Before August, I lived in a place that didn't have many food delivery places, so I felt like I had to try everything here. Tonight I was considering ordering food but remembered that I have potatoes that I need to eat before they go bad. Sometimes, it's really, really hard.

Melissa
    February 24, 2011 at 3:46 am

You totally described me today! I've been craving sweet, so I ate a little something sweet. Then I started craving crunchy so I had to find something crunchy. I only took a few bites of each thing, but it was enough to satisfy my craving. I think next time, rather than give in, I'll try your method!

Melissa E.
    February 24, 2011 at 4:02 am

I know just how you feel about cravings. My husband bought six (yes, six!) boxes of girl scout cookies. I'm cool with having one or two, but now there are six boxes in the house. Sigh.

ashleysweigh
    February 24, 2011 at 5:46 am

I've been craving ice cream the last 2 or 3 days. It doesn't help that I allowed myself to have it about 3x last week. There is none in the house right now and I don't do the grocery shopping, so I'm thankful for that. I don't think I'd go crazy on it but agh! I think TOM is coming soon which is probably the culprit.

Stay strong, you got this! You are stronger than your cravings, and darnit, so am I!

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    February 24, 2011 at 6:38 am

Every month when my "aunt Flo" comes to visit me. This last week couldnt help it and made brownies. The stress of the health of the hubby (in part due to overweight, ironic-no?)and not sleeping made me cave in.
    But I say, let me not focus on what I did wrong but what I'm going to do better

Joanna
    February 24, 2011 at 1:25 pm

You are totally not alone.

I've found using my cravings as a challenge to help me. I challenge myself to find a healthier alternative or I start to think about how the food will affect my goals for the day. I hate doing a lot of hard work and then throwing in the towel for something as silly as a candy bar or donuts. It helps by having that inner monologue with myself.

The healtheir alternatives help a lot too – I've found ways to cure most of my craves…including chocolatey or salty goodness!!

kozmicblues
    February 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Totally agree, girl.

To curb cravings, I just try to keep myself busy. I'm a student, so I try to do some schoolwork or study or something.

I also drink some water or tea or a 25-calorie hot chocolate pack. Hot beverages make me want to eat less–they seem to fill me up more.

This week is one of the best weeks I've had in a long time. What's funny is I'm not working out as much as I have been (I usually work out 6 days a week and burn about 1000 calories each time), but I practiced AWESOME portion control and I ate a well-balanced diet! And I didn't cave in to my cravings. It makes me feel stronger, ya know?

Keep it up, Lady!

Jessica
    February 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm

YES! I know how you feel. I also find myself craving things I don't even really care for…like hamburgers. They have never really been my thing, but occasionally I get the crazed feeling that a BURGER is the only thing that I want to eat. I also CRAVE salt! Give me something salty over sweet any day. I enjoy my healthy foods, and don't understand where these crazy craving come from…

DRYisarunner
    February 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I hardly ever post a comment! Your post really spoke to me, I am so happy to hear someone else say that they just want to eat junk sometimes. I have those same cravings, where I just wish for one minute that it would not count if I shoved Reese's Peanut Butter cups in my mouth all night. I ofter long for my fried friends too. Thanks for sharing and making me feel better!

Dawn

mensa
    February 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Well, well, well … I'm sitting here with two chocolate chip cookies that were just put in with mine and my boss' order from Paradise Cafe. He's already told me to never bring him the cookie, only the sandwich. I was thinking I'm going to the gym tonight, I'll work it off or I can work this into my plan and their cookies are SOOOO Goooood! I'm not sure if you've talked me out of it or not but I'm good for the next few minutes.

~Sheilah

Cara B.
    February 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I used to snack all the time sitting at my desk at work… cookies, crackers, chips (oh how i love chips!), etc. Now I try to keep a bunch of fruit with me so when I get cravings for the other stuff I just eat a banana or an apple and it generally satisfies me. Occasionally I do give in though and get the chips or the Reeses (yum!) so that I don't go nuts one day and eat everything I can get my hands on.

Stevie from across
    February 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm

You are the bomb. Are we going to shred later?

JaNelle
    February 24, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I have those days too! Some days (like yesterday) I craved every sweet treat in existence. Then today I'm totally fine! I don't know what it is, but some days I'm like a crazy beast lady and god bless you if you stand in between me and cake! But seriously, it's good that you're able to reflect on the big picture. I'm working on that too.

Chrissy MacCEO
    February 24, 2011 at 8:24 pm

You are not alone. I feel this exact same way every day, and I am a size 6. Eating right–or in moderation–is a constant thought in my head every single day. Every day I think about things I'd love to eat–this week, I've been craving a real cupcake from the bakery with creamy icing. Yum. But, if I don't watch it all of the time, I will gain weight very quickly because that's my body type, & then I feel the way you said–exhausted, defeated–because of the excess pounds. So, I guess watching it is the way to go–with the occassional big treat here and there. YOU Are an inpsiration!!

Musings of a Homeschooling Mom
    February 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I love this post! I crave junk, junk, junk! But I am finding that if I don't give in, the craving lessons. When I do give in, I want to binge.

Roz
    February 25, 2011 at 4:03 am

Kenz, I LOVE your blog. You have fantastic insight and are such an inspiration. It's hard not to give in to the cravings, but you did, and it all makes perfect sense. Thanks!!!