Calories PointsPlus weight loss Weight Watchers

More Questions About PointsPlus

My weight stayed the same last week, and while I can think of reasons for this (you know what I”m saying, right ladies?) I’m disappointed because I thought I’d see a substantial loss.  I really need a dependable scale, but I’m doing my best with what I have now.  And I look forward to attending Weight Watchers meetings again (at least to weigh in) in the next few weeks and at least bi-weekly after that.

I still feel good about counting calories, but I miss the support and encouragement I shared and received at weekly meetings.  And every time I see a commercial, I feel a little bitter about PointsPlus.  I wrote a post last month asking WW members how they felt about PointsPlus.  A few said they love the new program,  many said they disliked it and many were undecided because they started just prior to the holidays.  I’d like to know how it’s going a month later so I’ll ask the same questions again:

So Weight Watchers friends…

Are you losing weight at the rate you were before?
Are you happy with the results?
Do you feel like zero point fruits is helpful or harmful?
Has your points allowance changed yet? If so, by how much?
Are you calculating activity points acurately?
Is it as easy as Momentum?  Easier?

As I said before, I do know the plan basics, but I’d like to know how it’s working for you.  I’ll attend weigh-ins again regularly regardless, but I want to hear your opinions…Should I give PoinsPlus another chance or should I be satisfied with my success in counting calories?

In other news, Congrats to Melanie for winning last week’s challenge! Melanie, please e-mail me to receive your copy of Kim Kardashian’s Look Good in Your Jeans by Friday!

Anonymous
    February 10, 2011 at 9:19 am

I have been fighting the new program too. Counting points was much easier on the old program. I am spending so much more time trying to figure the new points on many foods (and it frustrates me). Jennifer Hudson is the spokesperson for the new program but she lost weight on the old program (go figure). I am going to try it again because I also miss the support of the group but, like you, I wish they had left the old program alone. I am waiting to hear what others say. Debbie in Maryland

MizFit
    February 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

eager to hear what the wiseWW people say…the points system in GENERAL has always baffled this misfit 🙂

This Old Woman Says What?
    February 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I quit WW when they changed the program once again. I was successful on it during Flex points, and Momentum. But enough with the major changes already.
    Time to spend more money with new calculators etc. I'm not that fond of calculating to begin with, but after seeing the complexity of the new program I knew I had enough.
    Now, that's not to say that it doesn't work for anyone… I've heard some success stories. It's not for ME.
    I've been counting calories as well. To me, whether you count points, carbs, fat, whatever… a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
    Check out the Calorie Count site. Love it!

Need to Get ME Back
    February 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I did the old program a few months ago (lost 30 lbs in ~3 months) and am doing the new program now. I started the second week in January and have lost 11 lbs. Hoenstly I didn't like it at first because it seemed a little stricter and seemed to discourage carbs. And I'm a fan of carbs… lol. But now I am liking it.

Are you losing weight at the rate you were before?

Are you happy with the results?
    Yes. It's easy to eat what you want while staying the points budget.

Do you feel like zero point fruits is helpful or harmful?
    I think helpful. I never ate fruits (hardly) on the other program because if a banana was 2 pts and an ice cream sandwich was 2 pts, I'd go for the ice cream. Now I eat a lot more fruits and obviously that's healthier.

Has your points allowance changed yet? If so, by how much?
    Mine went up about 5-6 points I think.

Are you calculating activity points acurately?
    I'm doing WW on my own and have looked into this, but I just choose not to count activity points.

Is it as easy as Momentum? Easier?
    I wouldn't say easier, but it is as easy. I think it is just trying to encourage people to look at the nutritional facts more carefully and thoroughly and to choose fruits & veggies.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do 🙂 Good luck!

Farrah
    February 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Although I was not on Momentum immediately preceding the switch to P+ I had used that program several times before, once being when I lost 70 pounds in 2008.

I like P+. I am having initial faster loss results with P+ than I did with Momentum. I have been on the program for 6 weeks and am down 21.2 pounds. I realize that a starting weight of nearly 320 pounds will see a faster rate of loss initially and then taper off but I am finding the faster loss on P+ is extending longer than with my experience on Momentum.

I am liking the free fruit. That being said, however, I am only having 2-3 fruit a day and then having 3-5 servings of vegetables. I feel free is good but too many free fruit will increase calories, of course.

I started with 49 daily points and have dropped three times and now am at 46. There doesn't seem to be the normal thresholds that I pass to change daily points, it seems random…but whatever…I do what e-tools tells me 🙂

I have yet to earn many AP. I do do some exercise DVDs at home and although I breathe like a horse after a race and sweat like a pig I just count it as moderate intensity. I have only logged about 20 AP in 6 weeks. I'll increase that to more….sometime…:)

Aside from the free fruit and the difference in calculation for points, changing all my prior knowledge of values for favourite foods I feel P+ is the exact same program for me to follow from a user standpoint. (The most difficult thing for me with the new program is having to consult the NI and input four variables for point value instead of three! LOL)

Overall, a good program for me. Many others are not having the same results, however.

adauntingtaleofscalewarfare.com
    February 10, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I wrote a comment but then it didnt post…ugh. Here is a link to the post that I wrote about why I quit WW http://adauntingtaleofscalewarfare.com/2011/01/19/time-flies-when/

I was sad to quit, but the new plan was causing me to gain weight 🙁

Anonymous
    February 10, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I did the Points Plus Program for almost a month and it went terribly. I didn't lose ANY weight and I followed the plan 100%. Very disappointing ! I've recently switched to just counting calories and I'm doing MUCH better.

wahoostampingirl
    February 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I lost 115 lbs on Momentum. That took me 3 years and I made goal the week Points Plus was rolled out. Even though, I'm technically at goal, I still want to lose 10 more lbs. I haven't lost anything yet on Points Plus, but I've found it very easy to maintain using it. This week, I'm going to stick to my 29 dailies and try not to dip into my WPs or APs at all. I typically eat all my WPs and leave my APs alone. Since you asked, I went from 18 to 29 DPs and I feel like this is more food, even though points when up on some things.

As for the "free fruit"….I like it, but I'm not a fruit fanatic at all. I eat about the same amount that I did on Momentum. About 2 or 3 servings a day. It's nice not to count it, but it doesn't really make me reach for fruit more often.

I think PointsPlus is a good program that steers people toward healthier options, but weight loss might be slower overall. Maybe that's a good thing, but for someone like me who loses slowly already, I think it's going to take some "tweaking" to make it work.

Anonymous
    February 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I love the new program!

Are you losing weight at the rate you were before? I'm losing about half a lb per week faster, and I have not had any plateaus so far. I've lost a little over 15lbs since right before New Years.

Are you happy with the results? Yes!!

Do you feel like zero point fruits is helpful or harmful? Very, very helpful for me. It keeps me from hoarding points for the end of the day "just in case". I didn't realize until they made them free that I always had a fear of running out of points and being hungry.

Has your points allowance changed yet? If so, by how much? I've dropped 2 points in the last 7 weeks.

Are you calculating activity points acurately? I think so. I ALWAYS err on the conservative side when I have to judge my intensity level or portion sizes. Sometimes if I'm not sure, I'll split the difference between two intensity levels.

Is it as easy as Momentum? Easier? For me, easier. Although, I thought I would be able to jump right into the new plan, and I wasn't. There was a lot more of a learning curve than I expected.

I think this made me see the program with fresh eyes, and for me it promotes healthier choices. I love fruit and veggies, but I didn't like to "waste" points on them on the old plan. Now I reach for an orange for a snack instead of something processed.

Heidi Williams
    February 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hi Kenz,

I think you should give it another try. I joined WW again the day the new points rolled out. I figured it was a good time to start new… I agree with everyone that it is sort of annoying that you cant easily estimate points like you could before based on calories – but for me, thats almost been a blessing. I had to really pay attention and start over, i have a sense of newness and thats been great.

I followed the plan by the BOOK for the first week and was all ready to have a great loss (after all, everyone does great on the first week!) i was totally bummed to have only lost 1.5 points and was totally pissed. BUT i kept at it, fell off over xmas, and got back on shortly into the new year. I just weighed in this morning and lost 3lbs, bringin my total to 9.8 in 4 weeks (9.8!! just .02 shy of my friggen 10 lb star) Im hoping for another 3 lb loss next week and hit my 5%.

After following the plan for a couple weeks now, i am surprised really that anyone wouldn't like this program… put aside the issue of having to start new, it seems to me you just get so much more food! I used to be a 100 calorie pack girl, and i didnt consciously make the decisions to choose empty calorie 100 calorie packs over fruit and vegetables, but i did it all the time!! An apple for 2 points or a 100 calorie pack of cookies…. DUh!! 100 calorie pack every time. This plan really does give me incentive to not just eat low calories, but pay attention to what those calories are…. empty carbs that didnt fill me up, OR eat some fruit, yogurt and fiber one cereal that keeps me going for hours….. Ive been finding new ways to eat veggies to keep points low and i love it!

Right now i get 40 points, still a quite a bit, and so far i havent had problems sticking within that plan. .. maybe that will change as my points decrease but for now, im loving it.

So hey, to each their own! but i'd say give it another shot! I doubt it will make you GAIN weight!…LIke i said at the top, i had a low losing first week but after that something must have clicked because i've seen 3 lb losses each week after!

Good luck and keep us posted!

absolut
    February 10, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Hey, I started reading your blog a couple of weeks ago, and I am a fan 🙂
    Thought I would share my story. I am 5'-6" or 5'-7" (it honestly changes that much depending on the day… it is probably my bad posture), I weighed 171 lbs in 2006, and went through a really hurtful breakup at the time, so I coped by working out. I bought myself an exercise bike, and I only used that – I was doing about 20 mins 4 times a week for a couple of months, and then gradually went up to 40 mins 4 times a week. I was losing weight but only knew that by my clothes (I was too insecure to weigh myself)
    Eventually, I found out I had lost about 20 lbs, and became obsessed with weighing myself, because I was proud. I lost a total of 25-30 lbs in about a year and was pretty comfortable at about 140-145 lbs. I hadn't changed anything about my eating habits though, and I wasn't gaining or losing anymore and at that point I had gotten my body used to doing 40 mins of biking a day (at least 6 days a week).
    Eventually I got very bored with the exercise bike and started doing less of it, still eating the same and somehow stayed in shape.. (sort of) I also graduated college about the same time and started my job, so big changes in my life overall. So at the beginning of last year (jan 2010) I weighed myself (which I hadn't done in a while – knowing I had gained) and I was very upset to find out I was 152-154 … yet I wasn't motivated enough to resume my workouts. I found an android app that does ww points and did a lot of research and reading and went on plan… by myself, with whatever information I had available to me. By may I was at 127 lbs 🙂 without being an official member – and by just sort of following their guidelines (old plan). I then fell off the wagon for a few months – not tracking points, but still being very aware of what I ate (not how much) … So in the beginning of this year I was very intrigued by the new program, and the bf kept complaining he has gained weight, so we started this new plan together. I was 132-133 lbs, goal is 124 +/- 2lbs. We have been working the program by ourselves, with our android apps and a few accessories from the WW store. So far he has lost 9 lbs and I have lost 5. (It has been about 5 weeks) We both lost the first week, we plateaued the second, I actually plateaued for 3 weeks, and the bf is consistently losing about 1 or 2 lbs/week. I dropped a couple lbs last weekend (pretend weigh-in is saturday or sunday).
    So yeah – I think the plan is great – neither of us feel like we are on a diet, and we both really don't like working out. We are team sports types of people (but winter doesn't work for that) LOL.
    Sorry for the ridiculously long post – telling my life story … :-S

absolut
    February 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm

free fruit – makes me feel less 'guilty' about spending my points, and makes great dessert smoothies after dinner 🙂 It also makes a great mid morning snack for me (I don't eat breakfast, it makes me hungry all day if I do, and it also makes me need a nap… not sure why 😛 ) But Free Fruit does the trick for me, I love it!

Wendy
    February 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I am glad u Oates this question as last night I was thinking on this and planning on emailing unto ask u about how u felt about it.
    Can't wait to go and read what everyone has to say about the topic!!!!

April
    February 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I also am very unhappy with the new PointPlus system. I just was not working for me. I had been on Weight Watchers for a year as of this month with great results until the plan changed. I have not lost any weight since the plan changed so I stopped the plan last week. It is a major discouragement on my journey to lose an additional 50 pounds by the time I go on vacation at the end of August which now puts me a month and a half with no weight loss. So I just started using Calorie Count at About.com. I like the tools it offers and you set goals and see on a daily basis a nutrition report and nutrition grade which tell me if I am taking in too much or too little nutrients, fat, fiber, carbs and so forth. Best part of all it is free to use. This is my first week so I won’t know until Saturday if I have lost any weight. I will continue to use all my old recipes but I will just put them into the new counter to track my calories instead of points now. Good luck Kenz!

Annie
    February 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Are you losing weight at the rate you were before? I'm not sure. It feels like I'm slowing down, but whether that is because of the new program, or just me getting to a little plateau, I don't know. As you get closer to goal, it is naturally going to slow, too. I'm more than half-way to goal now, so I expect it to slow.

Are you happy with the results? Yes! It does work.

Do you feel like zero point fruits is helpful or harmful? Helpful! I'm much more likely to grab a piece of fruit as a snack over a cookie or something like that since they're zero points.

Has your points allowance changed yet? If so, by how much? At the beginning of changing over to the new program, I went up 6 points. Food costs more points, though, so it was even as far as what I could eat for the points. I've gone down one point since starting the PointsPlus and, just like the old program, one point didn't make much a difference in how I felt during the day.

Are you calculating activity points accurately? Yes, but I very rarely eat them. That's the choice I make.

Is it as easy as Momentum? Easier? I think it is equal in simplicity to the old program. I use eTools, though, so pretty much everything I eat is already in the data base. If I do need to calculate something, one more number isn't a big deal. (fat fiber, calories vs. fiber, carbs, fat, protein now).

You know I love WW and highly recommend it to anyone who needs to lose weight. I've had several friends and family members join since the new PointsPlus has started and they don't have that comparison. They're all losing, at a healthy normal rate and are loving it!

Beth
    February 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I love the new points plus program. I never successfully did the other points programs because they always seemed like too few points for me. So I guess I was unhappy w/ previous programs the way some people are now unhappy with Points Plus. So I understand.

I am a refugee from calorie counting. I know it works, I have been successful with it many times. But I got to a mental place where if I had "too few" calories I was worried I would be hungry the next day. If I thought MAYBE I'd had too many calories, I felt like a failure, even if that total was only 1700. I just reached a place in my mind where I couldn't work with calories anymore.

Plus, I want to believe that there really is a difference in how different foods are digested. I've often suspected that might be true.

I'm having great success on Points Plus and the 0 point fruit is a good thing because when it cost me points or calories, I just would not eat it. I don't over do it now at all, but at least I eat it, and it's a good go-to food when I'm hungry.

Because I had so much trouble with previous points programs, I am so grateful I was nosing around on the WW site just as the new program was being rolled out.

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    February 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Debbie, J Hud actually lost weight with PointsPlus not the old program..she just did it before it was rolled out for everyone else. But I'm counting calories these days because I miss the old plan too. It's going well..

Laurie
    February 11, 2011 at 2:52 am

Kenzie-
    I just went back and looked at your progress pictures. I have always thought that you were beautiful. I can totally understand your reaction to your friend's comment, it brings tears to my eyes. Keep being as beautiful as you are both inside and out.

Laurie
    February 11, 2011 at 2:53 am

Ok, I just did a moron move, I meant to comment on the post re: to your friend calling you "normal" size. I guess I answered in the wrong place. Now, you can at least know what I am talking about…duh.

Anonymous
    February 11, 2011 at 3:40 am

Thanks Kenz….I really thought that Jennifer Hudson lost on the old plan…I guess I didn't realize that they gave her the plan early. I still don't know what I'm going to do. The reviews are so mixed. Debbie in Maryland

thinspired
    February 11, 2011 at 5:50 am

I did the Momentum plan about a year ago, and found myself not following it properly. I rejoined right after the new year and have been doing the PointsPlus program. I LOVE IT!! I'm on my 3rd week, and I'm averaging a loss of about 2 pounds a week right now.

I have so many points, I very very rarely have to go over into my weekly points…and I think that's what's getting me to lose. Hopefully I'll continue to see the scale go down…

Jen
    February 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Kenz – I am liking the new program, but not losing as much. Some people have said that possibly I'm losing less because I now weigh less. I had lost about 70 pounds on the Momentum program, then was doing it myself and kind of fell off the wagon and put on 14 pounds, and I have about 30 pounds to loose to get to my goal.

I do like the "newness" of the program – it's good that I have to relearn points and calculate everything because I was getting too comfortable with doing it on my own. I also like that it's forcing me to make better choices about what goes into my mouth. The only thing I don't like it losing less per week. In 4 weeks I have lost 5.2 pounds (and 4 of that was lost the first week!)

I do not like the way they calculate activity points. I have a heart rate monitor and had been calculating 1 point per 100 calories burned. WW has not come out with a way to replace that formula, but I like doing it that way because I feel that it's way more accurate than trying to determine intensity and looking it up on the chart, so I have stuck with the 100 calories per point to calculate mine. I am doing Turbo Fire and burning about 500 calories per session, 6 days a week.

Shannon
    February 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Are you losing weight at the rate you were before? I'm a lifetimer

Are you happy with the results? YES

Do you feel like zero point fruits is helpful
    or harmful? Helpful, I didn't get fat from eating to much fruit.

Has your points allowance changed yet? If so, by how much? YES, drastically, I only got 18 points before, and now I have a max of 29, though I rarely eat that much, I only eat when I am hungry.

Are you calculating activity points acurately? Yes
    Is it as easy as Momentum? hmm, I wouldnt say easier.

I have been on wwers for 10 years, I've been through a few different wwer plans now, started with the winning points. I love weight watchers and am glad the changed up the program, they have to keep up with the times. I mean could you imagine being on it in the 60's when all they were allowed to eat was stuff like liver and onions, ick!

BrookeNotOnADiet
    February 12, 2011 at 3:00 am

I'm not going to lie, I've been half assing the new program. I guesstimate on a lot of the PointsPlus. It's tough to get used to the new program when you've been doing the old one for almost 2 years.

I will say that I like the new program, it really makes much more sense to me. And it has moved me to make wiser food choices than before. Before when fruit cost points, I was more apt to pick a Fiber One bar for less points than a banana. But now that the banana is 0pts+, I'll pick that every time.

So, I think that the 0pts+ fruit and veggis is helpful. I don't go crazy on them, but it's great for when you're hungry and don't want to spend points you could use for dinner.

As for losing the rate I was before, well I probably would if I'd stick with the plan the way I was supposed to. Lol.

I'd say give it another try, you may fall in love with it! 🙂

J
    February 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Kenz,
    I LOVE WW! As you know, I never used the old plan. But, I am loving the new plan. I eat about 2-3 fruits a day. So, I don't think I am "abusing" the zero points thing. But I think you can overdo a good thing, if you know what I mean.

I also don't use my extra 45 points every week. I have NEVER used all of the 45 points either, but I am sure I will one day. I just haven't had the need. When I go out to celebrate, I try to cut the food portions in half. That has allowed me to "dip" into my plus points. I am also eating a lot of beans at lunch rather than meat. I eat meat at breakfast (eggs) and dinner. Beans do counts as points but they are low.

I also think I am counting my activity points correctly. I always think they should give me MORE points since I work my tail off, but I usually get between 5 and 8 points depending how the length of my workout. It also depends on your weight.

I have my account set up to use my plus points before my activity points b/c that's what they recommend. So…I've never had to exchange activity points.

I've lost weight every week. 🙂

It's of course…slower than I want, but isn't it always! I've been doing it 3 weeks and have lost a little more than 9 pounds.

Good luck.
    J

Tina
    February 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I'll start right off with what I don't like, b/c they're petty gripes. I hate the stupid name. Please go back to just calling them points. If they must use the full name, how about Points+. Second, it is much harder for me to guestimate the points in something like I could before. That's really annoying.

However, I really do think these are trivial issues. The plan is much healthier now. No one ever got fat from eating too many fruits, so it's smart to drop them to zero points, esp since (as a previous poster stated) when given the choice between ice cream or an apple for the same points, everyone chooses ice cream. That does not encourage healthy eating.

I lose weight when I actually follow the plan. Plus I find it easier to follow the plan now b/c I'm not hungry 20 minutes after eating an apple or banana like I was 20 minutes of eating ice cream for a snack.

Yes, my points allowance went up. Mentally that was a good thing once I got finally managed to toss all my old memorized points values out of my head.

I'm not tracking activity points b/c I have been a sloth, so I can't comment to that.

Overall I give the new plan a big, healthy thumbs UP!