Family Holidays Junk Food

Fat Tuesday

Where my family comes from, Mardi Gras is a big, big deal.  Fat Tuesday, the day before lent,  is a day of epic indulgence.  It is a day when folks get together and splurge on food, drinks and fun…

And while I have only participated in the festivities a few times in my life, I always used this day as an excuse to eat in excess until last year.  Now it’s just another day – a day in which I will eat responsibly and exercise.  My plan is to indulge in a 5k or a 10k.  Why not? 😉

In spite of my lack of willingness to indulge in food and drinks, I couldn’t let this day go unnoticed.  It is, indeed, a part of my heritage.  And I always smile at the thought of my mom catching beads and stuffed animals and other fun things at the parades.  =0)

Do you celebrate Mardi Gras?  Is there anything special about this Tuesday for you? How do you plan on making this day a success for yourself?

I plan on making today an incredible day!  Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulet

Summer
    March 8, 2011 at 10:46 am

We don't celebrate Mardi Gras nor is this Tuesday special at all. Except it is another day of precious life! 🙂 Today I am planning on exercising, journaling my food, and drinking my water. Yay! Getting back on track.

Joshua
    March 8, 2011 at 11:11 am

Let the good times roll, indeed! I've often thought about Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras. It's funny, because where I come from, we go through Lent, but we pass Fat Tuesday by like it's nothing. But, today – I will NOT be indulging in food/drink/sweets/etc. Rather, I will indulge my mind and stay on track for my #7daychip!

Jane Cartelli
    March 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Fat Tuesday was always an excuse to binge – and being Catholic and ready for a stringent Lenten Season, I felt it was a God-approved day of binging. Then I grew up and took responsibility for my thoughts and actions, and by grew up I mean after 44 years of literally eating my way through Fat Tuesday I finally took responsibility for my choices. At least for now I no longer have to follow Fat Tuesday with Wearing a Bigger Ash Wednesday.

Jane~
    Keepingthepoundsoff.com

Ms. Chunky Chick
    March 8, 2011 at 2:02 pm

There is nothing special besides being grateful for another day on this beautiful earth. Today I plan on taking a walk for at least 1 mile. Kenz you are an amazing person! and such an inpiration!

Chubby McGee
    March 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm

YES! OMG! We were actually going to walk to the bakery and get ONE Fastnacht (doughnut…we're in PA…it's a PA Dutch thing), but it's too cold. We were still having it about food…I guess…but just NOT excessive food. You're right though. As a Catholic, it was always a big day in our house. However…we never gave anything up and still kept eating like gluttons all through Lent. Which…is why…I'm fat and don't have good eating habits.

Ugh.

YAY for you on doing a 5K or a 10K! I LOVE IT! You make me happy!

Tammy
    March 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Not being Catholic or from Louisiana, Mardi Gras has never been a big day for me. Luckily, I don't even care much for King Cake – I think they are pretty, but not much on taste. I didn't even have any beads to wear today…..

I hope you enjoy the celebration – sensibly!

HS @ Our Debt Blog
    March 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm

What a beautiful smile you have! your teeth are perfect!!! amazing lol

HS

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    March 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

The one place I dream of living one day is New Orleans. I visited a few years ago and it forever holds my heart.
    We do celebrate Lent therefore restraining ourselves from eating meat, this would be a good chance to try new recipes with Fish for me. I'm with you, I'm not going to indulge

sorryaboutyourweight
    March 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I wore my beads today to work! Tonight, I'm going to a cajun place to get some jambalaya and celebrate before my evening class. I'll eat in moderation, but I have to celebrate.

Pinky
    March 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Down in NZ today is just another day in a very busy week.
    But I have always thought that New Orleans sounded like a fun place to be at Mardi Gras time!
    Enjoy your day

lanae
    March 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I too am not Catholic or from Louisiana but you have set the tone to have today be one of exercise so I'll join in the party. A nice long walk after work sounds lovely. Thanks for the inspiration!

trippingtiffies
    March 8, 2011 at 9:16 pm

HAPPY FAT TUESDAY KENZ! I wrote a post on Mardi Gras too! I LOVE IT!

-tiff
    fashionintheforest.blogspot.com

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    March 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I'm not Catholic either…it's celebrated widely in New Orleans..

Drazil
    March 9, 2011 at 12:23 am

I can't believe I'm saying this but I intend to actually fast tomorrow like we're supposed to on Ash Wednesday…crazy thought huh?

Shannon B.
    March 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I am living in New Orleans and we passed a good time! Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouller!