Hello Points Plus

I’ve been counting calories since the beginning of the year, and as a result, I have found myself doing precisely what I said I would not do.  I’ve become so focused on the caloric numbers that I haven’t bothered looking at fat, fiber, etc.  I have eaten within my caloric target, and I have lost weight.  But I’ve lost focus, in that, I’m eating more junk..less vegetables, lean proteins, fruits…

I’ve said many times that the method isn’t nearly as important as consistency,  and I still believe that to be an absolute truth.  That being said, Weight Watchers has been the driving force behind my success, and I believe it will continue to be just that for a number of reasons:

1) I look at counting points as an opportunity to get the best value out of my daily allowance.  This means that I tend to eat more fruits, veggies, lean proteins and other point friendly foods.

2) Weekly meetings are easily the best source for recipes, tips, support, encouragement and accountability.  There’s nothing better than a good meeting.

3) People on Weight Watchers love to help other people on Weight Watchers.  I tweeted a question about edamame (my favorite veggie ever) today and received an onslaught of responses within moments.

4) I can access e-tools wherever I am – from my laptop and/or my iPhone.  I loved the app when I used Momentum, and it seems like there are a lot of new features to enjoy now.

I’ve been extraordinarily (and  quite openly)  bitter about the changes Weight Watchers rolled out late last year, but that stops today.  I have not given the new plan a real chance.  My life changed in  the best way when I joined Weight Watchers and followed Momentum, and I did not want that to change. Everything else in my life was changing at the same time, and I desperately needed something to feel familiar.

But I’m ready to make the new program part of my everyday life.    I’m ready to find counting PointsPlus values as second nature as I found counting points on the old plan.  Weight Watchers is home to me, and this prodigal girl is ready to come home.

Annie
    March 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Yay!!! So excited for you to see all that WW has to offer you once again. :o)

Lisa
    March 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I have been loving points plus! I just returned to the meetings because I feel I was missing something. It makes such a huge difference! Good luck!

Jess
    March 25, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Good for you!! I have done WW many times and have had GREAT success with the new program!!!! Good luck!

Clarely!
    March 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Yay! I'm a huge fan of the new system, but I do think it's a difficult transition to make. Several people in my meeting really hate it – they've gained weight on PointsPlus. What helped me was being OFF the Momentum plan for six months while I changed jobs and moved across country. I was able to come to PointsPlus pretty fresh, and open to the change. I've been on some incarnation of Weight Watcher's points since they introduced them around the time I was 14, and the idea that they are no longer derived from calories is very strange… but oddly welcome.

I like that using carbs, fat, protein & fiber now really forces me to focus on foods that are good for me, and not just whatever "fits my points." I used to twist a lot of not-good foods to fit, which was always the first step to "cheating," which often took me down the path to quitting. It's strangely psychological, but making fruits & veggies "free" really makes me eat more of them – even though I knew they were good for me before! I go for bad-carb heavy stuff less now b/c the points are just too damn high.

I totally agree about WW community. Two of my good friends who doing PointsPlus, as well, and being able to talking using WW lingo does a lot for me. Previously, when I was the only person I knew going to WW, that support wasn't there in the same way. As you said, Weight Watchers like to help each other out 🙂

Christina
    March 25, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Good luck, maybe I need to rejoin Weight Watchers because I'm sure not getting anywheres on my own right now.

Patrick
    March 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm

You speak with great confidence in knowing what works for you. Many of us trying tolose weight and follow this or that program put our trust in it but do not find the confidence in it you appear to have. Someday, I hope for the same.

Thanks for your kind words of support on my blog today; very appreciative!

Have a great weekend!

Tammy
    March 26, 2011 at 12:59 am

Welcome back! I think you will adjust pretty quickly to the new program. Especially once you are back among the people who helped you be so successful on the old program!

Amanda
    March 26, 2011 at 1:24 am

I didn't join WeightWatchers until after PointsPlus was rolled out — I've been a calorie counter for years, literally. I've also been tracking fiber, protein, fat, and calcium.

After this long, it's boring… and a bit wearisome as well.

I really am enjoying just the change-up in counting PointsPlus rather than calories (okay, in addition to calories because I am a total data freak); and I have to say that the point-free fruit helps me in making better snacking choices, and the emphasis on fresh food rather than processed is also a huge benefit.

Glad to see you aboard 😀

Sarah
    March 26, 2011 at 1:39 am

Wow! I just stumbled across your blog and I am in shock at your pictures. You look great.
    I don't use Weight Watchers. I have my own version of it that works perfectly for me. I'm loving your confidence!

Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

Laura (wonderwife!)
    March 26, 2011 at 1:40 am

I can't even begin to express how successful WW was (and still is) for me! And it's definitely the weekly meetings and support that are the best part of it all! Welcome back 🙂

Mel
    March 26, 2011 at 3:10 am

Yay!! You know I'm a big fan of Weight Watchers. As much as I loved Momentum, I've grown to love PointsPlus even more. With fruit being free now, I am definitely snacking smarter these days.

On Momentum, I would rarely have eaten fruit as a snack because for the same 2 points a banana would cost me, I could have a granola bar which seemed more like candy. Now, I pretty much go to a piece of fruit every time I snack.

As for weight loss, I'm not really losing any faster or slower on the new plan than I did on Momentum. However, I know I'm definitely eating more cleanly and I think that's a really good thing.

Zepherine
    March 26, 2011 at 4:30 am

Welcome Back!

struggling
    March 26, 2011 at 4:33 am

i've tried mainly low carb and counting calories, both of which do work, but i've noticed the same thing–that when i count calories, i'm so focused on numbers, that i don't pay much attention to other nutritional info. in fact, since most processed products have the nutritional info readily available, i find that i lean more towards that stuff rather than going to the more healthy, "natural" food products that DON'T have caloric content labeled on them. unfortunate, yes.

i've never tried weight watchers, but i am aware that counting points is involved, and that some foods are considered "0" points (which i'm assuming encourages weight watchers members to eat more fruits + veggies?). my question is, then–if i'm counting calories, could this idea of "0" points translate to calories as well? for instance, do you think i could have the room to eat some veggies (such as some spinach on the side) for "0" calories"? just wondering…..

Kimberlynn
    March 26, 2011 at 5:05 am

I love Weight Watchers! It took a little getting used to the new Points Plus way, but really it's not that much different than the old plan. I've been on plan for almost ten months now. It's the first time EVER that I've been able to say that. I've really stuck it out this time. I've had my fair share of challenges along the way…as we all do. I for one am glad you're joining in with the rest of of Weight Watchers!!! You'll love it.

Marla
    March 26, 2011 at 11:30 am

Welcome home! I had my reservations about the new program when Weight Watchers released it in November. My bread and beer both went up in points. My go to 100 calorie snack packs were no longer 2 points. How was I going to make this work?

4 months later, I am so happy I was forced to make the switch. I am eating healthier than I ever have in my life. I reach for fruit all the time instead of those snack packs. I'm eating more complex carbohydrates and wheat bread. I just plain out feel better.

There are a few of us in the #7DayChip group that are doing WW. You'll have the support to make the transition to the new program. Believe me, you will be happy you did.

Alissa (A Journey to Thin)
    March 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Good luck on the Points Plus plan- I have been following it since it started.

Mike
    March 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I am a calorie counter too and you are so right about food composition. I can eat only 1200 calories of crap. It's still crap 🙂

Starting At 500 Pounds

Bethany
    March 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Yay! I am happy that you are going to give the points plus a try. Good luck!! 🙂

Beth
    March 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

I'm so glad you're going to give it a try! I am loving PointsPlus!

PlushBelle
    March 27, 2011 at 1:50 am

I have been thinking about going to Weight Watchers for some of those very reasons.

I am so calorie focused that I think my diet lacks the right balance of fiber and protein.

I can't wait to read your thoughts on Points Plus as you go along. 🙂

Mary
    March 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I've been doing Points Plus on line and find that it is way more satisfying than the old Points system. I am a big fruit eater & since it's free even though other things may be a little higher in points it all evens out in the end and I'm not so hungry all the time. Hope you like it.

Heather Forcey
    March 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Good for you! My husband and I have both had great success with Points Plus. I hope you love it just as much…and I think you will!

Brittany
    March 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm

yayyyyy!!!!!!! I'm so excited that you've decided to give pts+ a try! I know you're going to loveeeee it!

Roz
    March 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Hi Kenz, glad you are ready to embrace the new program. I was reluctant to change too, but now I'm on it, I love it. Have a great day!!!

Caron
    March 29, 2011 at 2:08 am

I'm a Life Time WW and have been attending meetings for 8 and a half years. I was looking forward to the new program but at first glance it seemed needlessly complicated and I balked.

I read a couple of posts by a gal named Sheryl http://www.sherylyvette.com/2010_11_01_archive.html who had a couple of GREAT posts about the new program and she convinced me to "just do it." In three weeks I was back at goal which was so wonderful. I had been five to ten pounds above goal for the past two years. You have to be careful with the "free" fruit but overall it is a really good program. Glad you are going to try it.

Sarah Kopf