My Internal Reset Button

My workouts have been pretty solid since the beginning of the year, but my eating habits need to change.  I’m losing steadily again, but I know I could be doing more than I’m doing. I’m going to keep trying until I get it right which means it’s time to make some adjustments.

I’m going to stay within my new calorie range which is now lower than it was in the month of January.  I want and need to see more substantial progress, and I think changing my intake will help.  It’s harder to lose weight now than it was a year ago, but that’s okay because it can still be done.

My weight has been inching down since the beginning of the year.  I change my workouts pretty often, but recently I’ve fallen into eating the same foods – many of which are processed – day after day.  Staying within my calorie range is good.  Staying within in my calorie range by eating satisfying, healthy foods is better.

My plan is to spend some time at Whole Foods later today looking for new fruits and vegetables, nuts and other satisfying, healthy food options, but I don’t think that’s the most important part of my new plan.  After thinking this through, I think sometimes we just need to do a hard reset.  And the food I choose will not be nearly as important as my efforts to adjust what’s going on inside my head.

It’s time to remind myself, once again, of what I really want – to be a healthy, aesthetically pleasing woman who is quick on her feet and slow with her fork. 😉  It’s time to remind myself that I will get there by concentrating on one day at a time.

Yesterday I found success in a good workout and eating in the way I described above.  I plan to do it again today while adding more variety to my dinner.What do you do when you find yourself bored and/or losing control of your eating habits?  How do you keep it interesting?

Miz
    March 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

Im fortunate in that Im not really one to get bored BUT the husband is.

so when HE does I make myself hit up gooooogle and search for new and creative—ANYTHING 🙂

Ms. PJ Geek
    March 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Good luck with the lower calories. I know it sucks. I started at 345 and was losing weight at 1900. Now , I only started losing weight again by eating 1200 calories ( at around 230-now 216). I exercise 4-6 hours a week. I was gaining some muscle and losing inches during about a year and a half plateau but the calorie drop seems to have made the difference.

I did some veggie calorie comparisons–yellow squash-low cal / very southern / good roasted sauteed, raw, with onions , cheese whatever. I've been roasting carrots , squash, asparagus, and peppers and just spritzing with olive oil from a mister and balsalmic salad spray and a little montreal seasoning ..yum.

Laurie
    March 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Like Miz, new recipes.
    I have a guilty pleasure, when I am home for lunch I will watch the food network.

Tammy
    March 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I made a similar decision yesterday, too (I posted it on my blog). Must be something about it being the first of the month! Day one went very well for me – I hope yours did, too!

{Absolutely, Positively} Josie
    March 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm

i think eating a wider variety of food helps me, maybe the most, when it comes to eating well. i actually went grocery shopping yesterday and got more "new" things (vegetables, cereal, etc.) than i have all year.

Brandi.
    March 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Just keep in mind, the closer you are to your goal, the slower your weight loss will be. I am currenly frustrated over the same thing but I only have about 40 pounds or so to go. And I am a major stress eater… I am paying dearly for my eating yesterday, and I realize how much I have truely learned the last couple weeks.

I am always trying new recipes and even when I find something not so healthy, I research substitutes that will reduce the calories, fat and carbs and make it a much better meal for the whole family.

lanae
    March 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I too go to the internet to find new recipes. Something as simple as a new salad dressing (which I found yesterday and will try this weekend after hitting the grocery store) can help me with the boredom.

Chubby McGee
    March 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

"What do you do when you find yourself bored and/or losing control of your eating habits? How do you keep it interesting?"

This happens to me often! I like to try something new…a new recipe…a new product. OR I like to go out for a meal (Subway, Moe's, Chipotle…etc). I find that it keeps me going when I realize that I don't have to eat the same thing day-in-day-out and/or not eat in a restaurant. But…yea…that happens…feeling bored and upset about it.

GREAT job on your staying focused! Makes me very happy for and proud of YOU. 🙂

Deb Willbefree
    March 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm

When I started this last leg of my weight loss journey—LAST leg–I said it was more about health than about fitting into the skinny jeans.

Well. Along the way it became more about the numbers. Which freaked me out for some reason. Now I'm back to it being about health.

I think that's the right focus. Yes, achieving an appropriate weight is important–and essential for health. How you get to thin determines if you're healthy when you get there, tho.

All of that to say, I think you're on the right track with making food choices with health in mind. You've consistently done well staying within your points/cals. Hopefully, the same will be said about me…eventually…soon.

Did you say what your calorie range is? I may have missed it.

Deb

h e a t h e r
    March 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I usually grab a book about healthy eating and nutrition that brings me back to earth. I am now re-reading Naturally Thin by that real housewife. The info in it makes a whole lot of sense. I also love You Are What You Eat by Gillian McKeith. I also like to do a lot of cooking and I challenge myself to find an old comfort food recipe and I try to slim it down! I also vary my calories going from hardcore 1200 one week to 1500 so my body keeps guessing. Like mixing up a workout you gotta mix up your fuel!

Darlene
    March 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I can go a long time on the same foods. I try to eat more veggies, and less breads and sugars. I'll also check the internet for new and different recipes. I'm a new follower. And you are doing a great job!

Cara B.
    March 2, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I try to find fun recipes that aren't worth a lot of calories or points. Tofu Shirataki noodles are really good. You can find them in the refrigerated tofu section of WF and some other grocery stores as well. They are a little smelly at first, but you have to rinse them off. Once you cook them and everything, pair a good sauce with them and you barely notice it's not regular spaghetti. Hungry Girl has a great pad thai recipe using those noodles.

Drazil
    March 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I'm such a routine girl and eat the same things every day and I love the predictability of it!

J
    March 3, 2011 at 1:00 am

I never get bored…I wish I did.

I can eat the same things over and over again. Work out the same way over and over again. I have to make myself change when I stop losing weight or my family starts complaining!

I think I may need to reset!
    J

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    March 3, 2011 at 7:27 am

actually I'm struggling with this right now. Being that I mostly make versions of our own typical food is hard to get variety. I feel like I should be doing more…I just dont know how

Jane Cartelli
    March 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I find that the more I stay with foods without additives and without added sugars the less I will overeat and the greater my resistance to 'just one bite.'

I am maintaining a loss of over 220 pounds. There are easy days and there are hard days. There are easy weeks and occasionally there are very hard and painful minutes or hours but I know that if I keep doing what I know to be right and not just doing what I 'want' to do I can maintain this loss. I have to keep doing what works and keep sharing. If I keep my thoughts to myself I will soon convince myself that sugar is a vegetable.
    Jane~