Southwest Airlines Travel

Dreading It

I’ve just experienced an incredible weekend, and I’m not ready for it to end. I never look forward to the end of fun weekends, but I’m dreading this trip home more than ever because I have to fly again…on Southwest.I booked this flight before my story made the news. And tomorrow I have to take that flight which makes me feel sick to my stomach.

I flew first class on American Airlines last week – best flight ever thanks to the lovely flight attendant as well as my incredible flying buddy – and as I said, I’ve purchased two seats many times in the past. At this point, I can sit with the armrests down without “spilling over”into the next seat. And I’ll be flying with friends tomorrow so I know I should relax and enjoy the last bit of time with people who support me and encourage me. But I find myself worrying about the boarding process because I can’t think of many things I dislike more than flying on Southwest.

That being said, my experience at the Southwest counter when I was en route to Los Angeles was fine.  They did everything by the book, and Kent and I had no issues with our flight.  I sat in the middle seat because Kent is so tall that he has to extend his legs into the isle when no one is walking through, and I was fortunate to sit next to a lovely woman who chatted with us throughout the flight.

I’ll check in tomorrow and hope for excellent service, but I’ll be a little nervous too until we’re in the air.  I’m not sure how to release that fear so I’m sharing it here because that’s what this blog has always been about – sharing my fears, facing them and overcoming them.

Wish me luck….

Melissa
    May 22, 2011 at 1:16 am

Kenlie – just fill your mind with all that great energy of the weekend and you'll be ok. I am SO glad I got to meet you!!! Keep me posted on your plans, let me know next time you're heading to LA.

Sarah G
    May 22, 2011 at 1:23 am

Good luck, Kenz!

Laurie
    May 22, 2011 at 2:04 am

Kenz-
    I can imagine how anxious you must be, but after meeting you, I have no doubt (nor did I before, actually), that you are just kick ass awesome and will be just fine! So so glad I got to hang out with you a bit last night.

A Fat Girl's Perspective
    May 22, 2011 at 2:20 am

I wrote this big long diatribe…..but then I figured it didn't help. I'll say that you do help. I've re-started WW for the 5th time (It always works, I just quit when I hit a stand still) and I needed something to tell me that I can get over my 30lb stalemate. 30lbs and I stop…I can't get past it. I lost 32 in a year, I've gained 10 back. First goal is to lose the 10 I gained back. Then I will work on getting to 40lbs total and over that 30lbs mark. It doesn't hurt that I have a cruise in October and I have a goal for that. The point being, you have lost weight reasonably and successfully. That is a good motivation for me.

Kelty
    May 22, 2011 at 4:27 am

Good luck! It's a totally understandable fear, but you can handle them!

Sarah Kopf
    May 22, 2011 at 4:45 am

Sending you positive vibes for the ride! xo

Sarah

keepitupdavid
    May 22, 2011 at 6:04 am

It'll be just fine. Remember – keep your phone in your hand, set to camcorder mode, so you can nonchalantly hit the record button the second any trouble should begin.

BUT – there won't be any trouble.

YOU GO, GIRL!

LaPopessa
    May 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Congratulations on getting so far on your journey, you are an inspiration to the rest of us. As for Southwest, drop those SOBs and fly United or American or others – I've always been treated with great respect from those when I fly.

Canterhard
    May 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm

You'll be fine. I watched your news piece, and first off I'll say kudos to you for your weight loss journey! Losing weight is right alongside quitting smoking as far as being frustratingly head banging against the wall hard to do, but DO-ABLE! So good job! From what I saw this was the 1st time Southwest has done this to you. I've flown SW numerous times & never had problems (because it's not just weight that can be discriminated against, it's age, sex, race, religion, all of the above, etc…). So I think you're wasting negative energy on worrying. An employee made a mistake, he apologized, and you probably helped him learn a good lesson that day, one that he, and all of SW, will not soon forget. You said you don't want to be a victim, so please don't turn into one. Worrying about a repeat offense by people in a totally different location (departure) (right?) on a totally different day is how people begin the transition into becoming a victim. If this had happened over and over and over again with you, or even with SW for that matter, I'd understand. But please give SW some credit as they are a good airline, they may just need to start considering adding a bit to their training sessions, or having reminder training sessions. You look wonderful by the way, keep up the good work!

Canterhard
    May 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

P.S. I really need to get me a phone that video tapes! I'm beginning to believe THAT is the key to GREAT customer service these days! Have you noticed, apart from this incident, that SO many places you go, people are just plain rude? I'm talking almost all retail and other service oriented places. You'd think we weren't in a recession the way people don't value their jobs. Hmmm, time to toss my dinosaur phone and get one that will come in handy like yours did! 🙂

struggling
    May 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm

just wanted to let you know that i saw your interview and you were so well-spoken and poised. you did an awesome job getting your point across! obviously i don't know you personally but i am so proud of you and your journey. keep on keepin' on!!! 🙂