Fitbloggin Friends Richard Simmons Travel

Dreams Coming True

Good things happen when you least expect them to, right?  We’ve all heard these words throughout our lives, but the truth in that saying has never been as blatantly obvious to me as it is today.

Yesterday, in my attempt to turn a negative into a positive, I wrote an open letter to Richard Simmons on my blog in which I expressed my gratitude to him for his help in changing my life, as well as my intentions to use my voucher from Southwest Airlines to visit Slimmons, his studio in Beverly Hills. I’m not yet sure how he saw the letter, but he definitely saw the letter!

And today, while I was at the track, I received an e-mail from him! Richard Simmons e-mailed me!  I got an e-mail from Richard Simmons!  He called me sweet and adorable, and said that he wants to sweat with me at Slimmons very soon! Yay!  He even asked me to e-mail him back to confirm my plans so he can fluff up more for me.  Don’t you just love that man?! I do!

So here’s how it happened:

Los Angeles had already been on my mind for a couple of days because my long-time friend, Kent, was planning a trip there, and he had already asked me to join him. I wrote about Kent a few months ago here.  I turned his offer down initially because I didn’t have extra cash laying around to fly off on a whim and cruise up the coast of Cali with him just a week before Fitbloggin’!  Then I started thinking……..vouchers.

Flying on Southwest fills me with the kind of anxiety that I haven’t experienced in over a year – until the incident, of course, but I have to do it.  I plan to face my fear with knowledge and confidence, and my trusty travel companion, Kent, is going to join me so I don’t have to do it alone.  Bingo! We’ll use my tickets to fly, and he’ll rent the car. Easy peasy. =0)

And my friend, Heidi, who will make more than a few appearances on my blog this week will be hosting us, and we’ll be able to plan some healthy meals together, workout with Richard a few times together and other fun things. She’s even going to show me where to find oddly colored vegetables because she knows how important it is for me to be as cool as David. 😉

Yes, I have plans to see Keep It Up, David this week too.  He’ll probably show up with a pink squash or something. 😉 I’m looking forward to seeing new friends and old friends that I haven’t seen in ages, and  I’ll post more about that later.

And speaking of friends, I asked Kent if he minds being a part of my blog this week, and he’s completely into it so I’m going to tell you a little about him.  I met him in late 2007 when we both lived in New York City.  He is a published author and a bicycle messenger turned law student who has ridden over 30,000 miles around NYC on his bike – more than the circumference of the earth!   I’ll share a link to his website and book later this week. When I told him that Richard had e-mailed me, I think he was as excited as I was!  He is going to workout with Richard too!

Needless to say, I was thrilled to receive the e-mail from Richard. I knew I could go to Slimmons to workout, but I had no idea that Richard would be waiting with open arms!  It makes my day, and I think this trip  and Fitbloggin’ will be an incredible way to spend the next couple of weeks before I begin a new chapter in my life.

The camera is charging, and I’m excited…I’m thankful..I’m ready.  It’s going to be a fantastic week!

Melissa Wolf
    May 7, 2011 at 8:46 am

That's SO INCREDIBLE!!!! I am really happy for you and know you'll have an awesome time. Can't wait for the updates and the photos! p.s. I'm not surprised about Richard Simmons because everything I've seen of him makes me feel he has a deeply caring heart. How perfect and special to connect with him!!

Nicky
    May 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

Woo! That sounds amazing! You totally deserve it and hopefully this will help turn that horrible Southwest experience into something that ended up leading to something else that was amazing. 🙂

downsizers
    May 7, 2011 at 11:08 am

I am so happy for you. Richard Simmons is genuinely concerned about obesity and all the emotions that go with it. Congratulations. I am looking forward to reading about the trip.

Amanda
    May 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

Kenz, that is freaking fantastic!!!! Richard Simmons has always been just such an awesome guy, and I'm beyond excited for you — enjoy yourself, and congrats on having this amazing experience to look forward to!

Denise
    May 7, 2011 at 11:38 am

That is so Cool! I hope you have a great time in CA. I know you will keep your readers posted and also get some fabulous pictures.

This Old Woman
    May 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

Okay, I'm going to use the most overused word that every blogger overuses, especially me… but this is definitely the right word…
    AWESOME!! awesome aWeSoMe AWEsome aweSOME!
    Can't wait to hear about it, and to see pictures, lots and lots of pictures!

Richard is the reason I lost so much weight over 25 years ago. I was miserable and uninspired… until I saw his tv show, and started working out with him. LOVED it, LOVE him, and LOST the weight. Say hi to him from Judy. He doesn't know me, but I want him to hear my name. lol

Bonnie
    May 7, 2011 at 11:57 am

WOW that's amazing…..have fun on your adventure, I'm sure it's going to be amazing, and the memories will be outstanding!!!!!!……Southwest airlines Who????….lol

freckles-fat-be-gone.blogspot.com

mary
    May 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

this is awesome
    i always feel the worse thing someone can say is no , right?
    so always follow your dreams, ask the questions and go for it!

Jules - Big Girl Bombshell
    May 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm

NOW, that is EXCITING! Congrats to you and YES! Good things come to those who wait…when you least expect it!

I Love Richard Simmons… His lessons, remembering his videos, is what encouraged me to use my Wii for exercising…Amazing how those things stick with you…How he explained the word DIE – T and how much he has devoted his life to helping others!

Miss S.
    May 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Yay! So excited for you!

Jess
    May 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

So happy for you Kenz!! How awesome that trip will be!! Enjoy!!! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return! PICTURES!

KCLAnderson (Karen)
    May 7, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I am so excited for you!! I can't wait to hear all about it and see photos! Have a blast!

safire
    May 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

That's AMAZING! I've always loved Richard Simmons because of his energy and positive vibes 🙂

I hope this all works out and then you post about it and I get to live vicariously through this!!!

Caty
    May 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm

You are going to have an amazing trip! I love Richard too, and your friend Kent sounds like the perfect person to have with you during this time! What's that tweet I saw about how a man doing Richard workouts with you was _________? 😉

Maria_NJ
    May 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Kenz don't send the link in the last post that I sent you, i thought it would just link up to the email that Richard sent me but it goes right into my personal email…Thank you Maria…

Heidi
    May 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Oh, there will be pictures. THERE WILL BE PICTURES. And they will be glorious.

spunkysuzi
    May 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm

That is fantastic!! And I agree please get lots of pictures 🙂 I love Richard Simmons!!

Deb Willbefree
    May 7, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I'm glad your post to Richard accomplished the "wuoldn't it be nice if" that sat quietly under the print. 🙂 Your trip sounds like everything has fallen into place perfectly. Have fun.

Deb

Mel
    May 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm

O.M.G.! That is sooooo cool that he emailed you! I've cleared my calendar for Tuesday night, so I should be able to make it to Slimmons to meet you that night for the class. Can.not.wait!!!

Kelty
    May 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm

That is AWESOME! Sounds like you're going to have an amazing trip!

J
    May 8, 2011 at 12:03 am

I love happy endings! 🙂

Roz @ weightingfor50
    May 8, 2011 at 12:09 am

That is SOOOOO exciting. Can't wait to see the photos of the meeting.

Laurie
    May 8, 2011 at 3:21 am

That is so cool about Richard etc.
    I would love to meet you at Fitbloggin'.
    The other day, my friend's mom died in a car accident. It was horrible. I decided to fly to Georgia (from the D.C. area) to go to the funeral. A different friend was helping me get flights and mentioned Southwest and I cringed. I ended up on United Express. It was a smaller plane than I had been on in a long time. I felt cramped and uncomfortable. I also thought about the seat belt and wondered if it would fit. I kept thinking about you…your story has really impacted so many people.

foolsfitness
    May 8, 2011 at 5:33 am

Richard Simmons is one of my heroes for sure. I think he is truely real and honest in how he really does care about people. I had a friend that took me along where he was making an apperance once. I never got to actually "meet" him but I did see him live.

I bet if I had his autograph I'd drop 10 pounds instantly just from all the uber cool mojo in it!!! Congrats again!

At Foolsfitness we adore Richard Simmons! – Alan

Brittany
    May 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Yay! How exciting! So happy for you!

SeattleRunnerGirl
    May 9, 2011 at 7:34 pm

What a FUN opportunity, Kenlie – have a GREAT time!