I Think I Need To State My Goals

For more than a year, I have attempted to complete at least 1,000 minutes of cardio or more per month, and I’ve been successful since 2012 began.  I’m happy about that, but I think it’s time to change my focus a little so here are my goals for the month of May:

•  Complete at least 1,000 minutes of cardio – a piece of cake when I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing…
  • Complete at least 10 5k’s – I’m pretty sure I did this in March and maybe other months, but now I plan to document it.  I completed my first one today.  Only 9 more to go!
  • Lose at least 8 pounds – I can and should be losing at least 8 pounds per month…period.
  • Do 101 crunches everyday – I’m going to start again after falling out of my groove.

These goals are attainable, but I noticed something last week that has made me keenly aware of what I need to succeed.  As I approached the end of the month, I noticed that my cardio goal was in jeopardy.  And I knew that because I skimped on workouts while I was in Colorado that I might have trouble reaching my 1,000 for the fourth consecutive month, and I felt like throwing in the towel.  The difference in my performance came from knowing that I’d post those numbers on my blog, and I wanted to post my achievements – not my failures so I succeeded.  I reached my cardio goal only moments before midnight on April 30.

The point is that posting my cardio goal – and even my goal for daily crunches (which has been a #fail lately) gives me the extra push that I need to do what I know I should be doing.  If you have a blog, you may already be aware of the power it yields in keeping you accountable.  At least, it does for me.

Announcing my monthly goals is (mostly) new to me, but I know from the sidebar on my blog that it works.  Do you have monthly goals?  Do you post them?  Does it work for you?

17 thoughts on “I Think I Need To State My Goals

1. Jane

I absolutely love your monthly goal idea. I was a little confused with the first one though, for a minute I thought you meant you were going to eat a piece of cake while doing the exercise :0 I am such a fool at times.

If you don't mind I am going to completely steal your idea and and your goals – I think they are very attainable and exactly what I need.

Thank you so much for sharing your goals:)

2. Jane

OMG!! I just checked out your scrapbooking slide, your pages are amazing. Do you do any digital scrapping?

3. Jane

Sorry, me again. I have been back-reading your blog and I just have to say that I love it and that I am going to have to add you to my favourite blog list.

4. MizFit

I do make monthly goals and announce to the husband.
    Id wager half the time he isnt even listening (really.) but the statement and putting it out there makes me feel far far more accountable anyway!

xo

5. Colleen

I post them each month and by and large it does work for me. I do a wrap-up at the end of each month with how I did on my goals for that month as well as what my goals for the next month are.

Here's the April/May post April Wrap Up / Goals For May

6. Maria_NJ

Kenz I do make monthly weight loss goals and since March 2nd when I stared I have meet them. I even meet my goal today of being under 200 by May 2nd…ONEDERLAND!!! It feels good…My next goal is June 2nd and I would like to have 5 more pounds gone by then…I think goals make you have something to work towards…Oh and you are so right about the blogging, if nothing else, I have to be accountable to that(ME)

7. Emily

I don't post monthly goals, but I definitely agree that posting goals on my blog and knowing that I will be posting my workouts keeps me on track. I am thinking of signing up for my first 5K and I know that if I decide to and write a post about it I will be fully committed! It is amazing how putting things like that in writing for anyone to see makes such a big difference. Good luck with your monthly goals!

8. safire

This reminds me I need to write my May goals 🙂 Good luck with YOURS! I can't believe April is over already.

9. Julie

I haven't posted monthly goals, but I think it is a good idea and I am going to do that this evening when the kids are in bed.

I LOVE your blog!!! I think you are such an inspiration!!!

10. Missy

Fantastic Goals! I like the idea of a total number of cardio a month… Something to think about ;o)

11. Diane Fit to the Finish

I make goals for myself as well. I generally write them in my journal, but should probably share them with friends, etc. for accountability. You have accomplished so much already.

12. Drazil

I have goals…craploads of them…I need to remember them…that's the key. Oh and by the way – I'm off to the treadmill cuz you told me to just do it. So Ima gonna.

13. J

I know! Posting my goals and daily workouts helps me. I guess I'll go back to that. I find too many excuses about workouts. I've been back on track now for …get ready for it…4 whole days! Woot woot!

Thanks for your comment on my blog. 🙂
    J

14. Bonnie

Great job on your goals, I'm sure you will achieve them no problem….you seem determined!!!!

freckles-fat-be-gone.blogspot.com

15. SeattleRunnerGirl

Goals. Got lotsa those. Need to get back to posting more often! Ever think about adding strength training to your list of goals? Just a thought from this strength training junkie!

16. ♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥

Hey RunnerGirl..;)

I'm pretty solid and consistent in strength training so I've never made it a goal for my blog. it's a good idea though! I'll think on it. Thanks!

17. Steph

I completely agree with you, when you share your goals with others it makes them feel more attainable to me. Not only do you feel more accountable for your goals, but also receive the extra motivation and support from friends and loved ones. Go Kenz go!