My Latest Flight on Southwest Airlines

If you read my blog then you know I felt some anxiety as I prepared to head to the airport yesterday.  My friend, Britt, and I booked this flight on Southwest Airlines from Baltimore long before the news covered my story.  And when the reality set in that my incredible weekend would soon come to an end, I felt sick to my stomach.

I wondered if people at the airport would recognize me as they did on the streets of NYC and if they’d be friendly or mean…I wondered if I’d face angry flight attendants or fellow passengers.  And I wondered if I would be singled out by gate attendants.  I shared these concerns on my blog and with friends at Fitbloggin’ and decided that I would walk into the airport just as I have on many other flights – without the fear of being singled out. Perhaps I’ll share my thoughts on how the airline industry could alleviate that fear for all passengers later, but for now I’m pleased to say that everything  went smoothly.

My flight on Southwest Airlines yesterday was fantastic from start to finish. From the courtesy I received at check-in, to the gate attendant who promptly and effectively answered my questions, everyone was well-mannered and friendly.  I was not asked to purchase an additional ticket nor was I singled out in any other way.  It was clear, after checking in and walking to my gate, that I would have a good flight, and I did.

I’m not sure when or how often I’ll travel with Southwest in the future, but I can confidently say – based on yesterday’s experience – that I would fly with them again.  For now, I will continue to seek consistency from the airline industry as a whole, but I will also put my top priority back on the forefront of my blog and life – to continue living a healthy life while working toward my personal health and weight-loss goals.

In the last few weeks, I’ve realized that I have reason to feel confident and strong, but I’ve also been reminded that I have a long road ahead.  I’m ready to use the strength and determination that I had in losing the first 127 pounds to lose the last 130 pounds.  So if you’re new to my blog, welcome.  If you can be courteous and respectful, please feel free to stick around and watch me change my life.  And if you’ve been here all along then give yourself a big hug for me 😉  because I’m utterly thankful for your unwavering support, and I’m looking forward to more of it as I continue on my quest to go all the weigh…

Melissa
    May 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I'm so glad to hear it went so well.

Krystal
    May 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Glad you had a good flight!

Bari
    May 23, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I'm so glad your flight went well. I also wish you all the best in the world. Not sure if we officially "met" at Fitbloggin, but I'm glad to have found your blog. I'll definitely be cheering for those next 130 pounds to fall off!

Patty mcmommy
    May 23, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I'm so happy that your flight this time was so much more like it should be!! I'm new here, but now that I have found this blog I will be posting it on my blog as one of my fav's! Just started following u on twitter as well when I stumbled upon your blog last week. Your sharing this journey with everyone is inspiring and brave to do. Don't let anyone try and kick you on this journey because of their own insecurities, phobias, or just plain assholiness! Thank you! -@mcsmilemaker

Roni
    May 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm

YAY!! Glad you had a good experience!!

Ellie
    May 23, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I'm glad to hear you had a good flight. I personally enjoy flying with southwest but after your post I was pretty disgusted.

I hope that you publicizing the incident helped ensure that this sort of thing won't happen again.

Thanks for the blog!

Christie O.
    May 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Girl, I was there with you in that room at Fitbloggin cheering you on in my heart. You have come such a long way, I am so sorry to know you've gone through that despite your huge success so far, you should only be proud! This was an awesome post, stay strong, stay brave, and keep blogging about your life (and anything you want to.) I am sure there are people you will help along the way. HUGS TO YOU!! xoxoxo Fellow Fitbloggin-er!

Katy
    May 23, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I am so glad (and relieved) that it went well. I thought about you all day on Sunday!

It was such a pleasure to talk with you, although we didn't have enough time together. I am very proud of you and can't wait to see the rest of your journey.

Katy

Steve
    May 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Really glad that you had a better experience!

Jessica
    May 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Glad it went well 🙂

Sarah from Onmyweightohappiness
    May 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Glad it went well for you!

lanae
    May 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Relief! So glad all went well and that you're home safe and sound.

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    May 23, 2011 at 8:34 pm

so glad it was a good one

Faith
    May 23, 2011 at 8:44 pm

So glad you enjoyed your flight!!

Tammy
    May 23, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I'm glad that you had a good flight! It's amazing how well things work when people are properly trained!

BTW – are you still following the Weight Watchers Points Plus plan? I know you said that you decided that you really liked it, but you had a bad experience at your old meeting. Just curious on what plan you will be using as you rededicate yourself to next part of your journey!

Mrs. Bee
    May 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm

yay!! So happy to hear it went so well!! You are amazing!

Darlene
    May 23, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Glad to hear that it all went well and you had a good flight. Keep up the good work!

Brittany
    May 24, 2011 at 12:24 am

I'm so proud of you! And despite how you were still nervous, that was one fun flight 🙂 I had NEVER laughed that hard on a plane before!!!!! love you!

The Monkey and Me
    May 24, 2011 at 1:00 am

big hugs for you right back!!! You are so awesome!

Maria_NJ
    May 24, 2011 at 1:07 am

So glad that the flight went well, I have to admit, I was worried for you, cause you were worried for you! Keep in touch Kenlie…Love, Maria

Nothing shocks me anymore...
    May 24, 2011 at 1:10 am

Glad to hear the flight went well! I am a newbie to your blog! Obviously I was directed this way as a result of the run in with Southwest. I want to congratulate you on your success! I have so much to read back-story wise! I am currently down 42lbs and my husband 63lbs! It is such a life changing event! I have you added into my blog feed so I can keep up with you! Keep on Keeping on! ~jess

irishgalinabq
    May 24, 2011 at 2:08 am

New subscriber here-already enjoying reading about your journey. Glad you had a great flight back from my home town! At 280lbs I have never had any trouble flying out of Baltimore. Thanks for being a great inspiration for all of us trying to live a healthier life.

Laurie
    May 24, 2011 at 2:24 am

I am so glad it went well for you. You so deserve it!

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    May 24, 2011 at 6:06 am

Tammy,
    I am in love with the Points Plus program, yes! As you know, it took some time for me to adjust, but I'm really glad I did.

~Karen C.L. Anderson~
    May 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

YAY!! I can't say it enough…your awareness, grace, presence and intelligence will take you far and to places you might not even imagine. You are a bright shining light in this world and meeting you was a highlight of my Fitbloggin experience! 🙂

woobielou
    May 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for posting this – I will be flying next month for the first time in many years, and I'm feeling very anxious about how it's going to go. I'm not flying Southwest on this trip, so I don't know what to expect… reading your blog helps me feel like I might have a good flight as well!

Should I Wear Spanx When I Fly?
    November 30, 2011 at 5:40 pm

[…] HQ who contacted me after my original blog post, I agreed to give them another chance.  And I did.  After taking countless trips on JetBlue as well as flights on American Airlines and even […]

Miss April
    December 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

Yup, it’s a gamble……… They need consistency. It’s amazingly sad how society views and treats overweight people. I’ve been at the losing end of it, just not by Southwest. Glad you had one good experience with them, too bad it was so fleeting.