Healthy Eating Healthy Living Richard Simmons Weight Watchers

What Works For Me

I’ve received so  many e-mails lately! And there are a couple of recurring questions so I’m going to answer the first one today. People have been asking what I’m doing to get healthy so I’m going to break it down for those of you who may be newbies to my blog.

I joined Weight Watchers in 2009 to learn what and how much I could eat.  What I didn’t know when I walked into my first meeting was that nothing would be off-limits.  I still eat cupcakes! I just do my best to make good decisions most of the time. And Weight Watchers is awesome because it works in real life so I’m not doing anything that I can’t do for the rest of my life.

I am currently down 127 thanks to Weight Watchers. And while I was hesitant to try the new PointsPlus program, I can say that it rocks.

I also workout regularly.  In the beginning, that meant a few times a week.  Now I aim for 1,000 minutes per month.  When I started, I walked a little, but I also purchased “Party Off the Pounds” my favorite workout DVD by Richard Simmons.

Dancing with Richard was so much fun, and after a few weeks I started feeling coordinated and athletic so it was perfect for me. And now I have the Sweatin’ to the Oldies box set, but ‘Party Off the Pounds’ will probably always be my favorite. =)

I also do strength training and run a couple times per week.  My running coach, Brad Gansberg, is a wizard!  When I met Brad I couldn’t run 0.1 miles without feeling like I might die.  Through interval training, Brad customized a running plan for me so I could get started without hurting myself.  Now I can run about 2.28 miles without feeling like I need to stop.  I hope to run an entire 5k by the summer before my first triathlon!

If you’re interested in learning to run – or if you’re intimidated by it, contact Brad.  In addition to being a fantastic friend to have, he’ll help you change your life.  He’s currently looking for a few more folks to add to his free Run a 5k in 100 Days program.  I’ll be a part of it so don’t be shy!

Changing our bodies – making them healthier – requires time, patience and consistency. Sometimes I breeze through it, and sometimes I find myself hanging on by a thread.  I’m no expert so I can’t say what will work for you…I can only share my own experience and wish you luck in yours!

I can tell you that by starting and not giving up, we’re better today than we were yesterday.

Does anyone have advice for those who are trying to get started? What works for you?

A Rancher's Wife
    May 26, 2011 at 4:48 am

Your story and motivation is amazing! Keep up the great work!

Mel
    May 26, 2011 at 5:32 am

Thanks for the reminder about Brad's program! I meant to tweet him after you told me about it at FitBloggin' and then promptly forgot by the time I got home. I just DM'd him, so hopefully he's still got some spots left. 🙂 Miss you!! xoxo

Mike
    May 26, 2011 at 5:47 am

Great post! I think the greatest question anyone can answer is how do I get started. It was where I started. Finding people sharing what works without the crap of people selling something.

I wrote down what is working for me in a post called Getting Started

Queen Nairobi
    May 26, 2011 at 6:30 am

I have a lot of different little things that I do, like trying to get 30 miles of cardio each month let alone the amount of other workouts I do. Also switching it up every work is important. And I limit sugar to like 0 except for once a week.

I have a more details description here

Shane G.
    May 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

I actually think you nailed it all on the head. Eat less, exercise more, and don't think you are going to be back in shape next week! I think that is where most people fail, they don't see want the process to take a year, they were thinking like a week or two, like the movie montages! Gotta have a looooooog term view folks, this isn't a fast process. Or at least not if you want it to be permanent.

carla
    May 26, 2011 at 10:04 am

testing to see if I can comment…as I havent been able to.

and

thinking

do you want me to do a post about what I wish Id known when I started my journey?

Id be honored!!

Miz.

Heather
    May 26, 2011 at 10:07 am

You're such an inspiration, Kenz! I've never ran a mile in my life, but I just wrote to Brad about his plan!

Life as a Caterpillar
    May 26, 2011 at 10:29 am

I just found your blog thanks to Kelly.

I am also on Weightwatchers and have also signed up for Brad's running programme.

I hope for good results like you! I have 127lbs to lose right now until my goal weight:)

xx
    lesley

Melissa Wolf
    May 26, 2011 at 10:34 am

Wonderfully post!! But even more, WOW GIRL what a gorgeous singer you are! Just beautiful! I was the lead singer in a blues band in grad school and singing is still my favorite thing–sadly I don't get up and do it anymore. But once again you've inspired me.

live-laugh-love.org
    May 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I'll be participating in Brads 5k In 100 Days program and I'm very excited! I actually found Brad's blog through you 🙂

therunningjewess
    May 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I think it is awesome that you are trying for your first 5k. Good luck!
    When I first started workout out regularly, I found that it was most enjoyable when I had great music to keep up with. And when I don't actually want to go out for a run (in this ridiculous heat), I try to push myself to just go around the block. By the time I make it to the turn for my apartment, I've already decided to do more.

A Fat Girl's Perspective
    May 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Those diets that tell you what you can and can not eat will never work for me. I don't have the mind set for someone denying me something. It may be a flaw, but I have to be real with myself. So, that's my advice. Be real with yourself. If you have flaws that will hinder your weightloss don't live in denial about them b/c they might be embarrassing, learn to work with them. These could be traits that would take years to overcome and if you want to get healthy, now is the time. Kenz, have you thought about making a new page a posting your recipes? I would love to try some of them, but I can never remember the posts.

spunkysuzi
    May 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I'm definitely joining brad's running group 🙂 I'm so glad you'll be doing it too!!

keepitupdavid
    May 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the sharing the song, Kenz. Simply beautiful!

Brandy
    May 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for sharing all of that! I am a huge fan of Weight Watchers too. I lost quite a bit two years ago but because of life stress and everything else I gained some of it back. I'm getting back on Weight Watchers because it truly did help me to see what I was putting into my body and how I needed to eat differently. I'm excited about the points plus program also.

I shot your trainer an email – I would love to be able to run an entire 5K. Thank you so much for the link!

Maria_NJ
    May 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I wish my knee would allow me to run…I think I did too much over the weekend and I am back to limping…dang! But I do have a plan in mind I am going to run the 5K next year at fitbloggin even if I ahve to walk the whole thing..I am going to do it…

nice song Kenz, you nailed it…

Lyn
    May 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm

the recording is amazing Kenz!

Amanda
    May 26, 2011 at 7:07 pm

You are soo inspiring! I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now. I started my weight loss journey with weight watchers about 8 weeks ago and I just started a weigh loss blog yesterday! I'm not much of a blogger or writer, but I see how much it has encouraged and motivated so many other people. It's so amazing to see your progress! I have about 100 lbs to lose and I'm 13lbs down…seems so far away, but I will get there!! Thanks for your inspiration!!

Lyn
    May 26, 2011 at 9:03 pm

how can I get your recording on my ipod – LOVE IT!

irishgalinabq
    May 27, 2011 at 12:03 am

Thanks for this post. For me, I have a lot of trouble getting motivated for exercise so my big game changer was instead of thinking "there is no way I can do the 30 laps I had planned at the pool" and completely bailing on it. I have now started thinking "Ok, I'm not feeling great today but I'll just go to the pool and see what I can do". I find once I am there and swimming I can do a lot. Anything is better than sitting on the sofa. 🙂

peasandlove
    May 27, 2011 at 12:10 am

"I can tell you that by starting and not giving up, we're better today than we were yesterday."

I love this quote. SOOOOO true! I have lost 40 lb. in a year, but I still have 90 to go and I focus so hard on those 90 than appreciating and giving myself kudos for the 40. Thanks for the reminder that I am better today than I was a year ago. 🙂

Chrissy/Steelers6
    June 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I feel out of the loop here..I can’t find what everyone is talking about a recording you’ve done. Maybe on FB and they commented here?? Help! I love your singing…

And to make me feel even more out of it, I, [like Carla/Miz] have had major blogger issues for quite a while and have not been able to comment. (still reading though!) I would have been commenting on all your super fun activities and posts! I must delve in to Tom & Heidi’s recipes; wow! Some divine looking things there!

ps – what is that song on the clip from your workout with Richard?!