A Week of Personal Accountability

Last week I decided that I needed to be very honest with myself and anyone else who would listen about what I was eating.  I did okay some days and horribly over the weekend.  I don’t typically note my emotions as they relate to food, but over the last week I did.  And while my emotional connection to food isn’t exactly an earth shattering revelation, I was surprised at how often my food choices were affected by my emotions.  Admitting this is not easy, but it’s the truth.  And just as I’ve said so many times recently, admittance of my issues is the first step toward change, and changing when it’s not easy is something to be proud of, right? Yep!

Everything I ate last week is listed below, and I don’t expect anyone to read it all.  I’m posting it in an attempt to exercise my responsibility for the choices I’ve made.  I’ve had some really healthy eating days this week – filled with protein, fruits and veggies and lots of water.  I’ve been pretty far under my PointsPlus target this week eating only 30 points a few different days this week.  After a weekend of eating garbage, it doesn’t make sense to eat just to reach my target so we’ll see what the scale thinks later, but I’m happy with my decision to stop when I’m satisfied.

Monday, June 20, 2011

banana 0 (0)
Popchips 3 (3)

toast 2 (5)
Light Laughing Cow wedge 1 (6)
Roma tomato 0 (6)

1 oz. tortilla chips 4 (10)
1/2 c. refried beans 2 (12)
watermelon 0 (12)

1 c (225g) vanilla Greek yogurt 5 (17)
fresh strawberries and blueberries 0 (17)
2 mini kit-kat 4 (21)

Fiber One cereal 2 (23)
1/4 c. FF milk 1 (24)
banana 0 (0)

2 Roma tomatoes 0 (0)
1 c. sugar snap peas 0 (0)
toast 2 (26)
Laughing Cow light wedge 1 (27)
Popchips 3 (30)

Total PointsPlus: 30 *15 points under my target. What?! That doesn’t usually happen, but I ate lots of fruits and veggies today with some protein!*

Water Consumption: 9 glasses

Fruits and Veggies: 10 servings

Exercise: 27 minutes of circuit training *9 activity points earned*

Notes: I didn’t feel like eating today, and I’m reasonably sure it’s because I felt so bloated and yucky due to my weekend eating. Or it could be that I just wasn’t in the mood for food. It happens though I wish it happened more often. 😉 I’m satisfied with my actions today, and I’d like to do this week over the next 7 days. That’s my new, short-term goal. I’m also proud that I worked out even if I had to convince myself well after midnight. Also, homegrown roma tomatoes are incredible.

********

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Popchips 3 (3)
Skinny Cow wafer bar 3 (6)
HandiSnack 3 (9)

2 pieces of fried fish ?
french fries ?
fried hushpuppies ?
fried squash ?
peach cobbler ?
fresh tomatoes 0
banana 0

2 baby back ribs ?
red beans and rice 5
mandarin cake ?

popcorn 2
candy 5
smores ?

Total PointsPlus: Uh, no idea, but way over, I’m sure…

Water Consumption: not a lot…not even sure I drank 8 which is highly unusual though very congruent with my actions yesterday.

Fruits and Veggies: 4

Exercise: I did not workout today.

Notes: I went on an impromptu trip to visit family..they cooked, and I ate what they cooked even though I don’t care for fried fish. I wasn’t prepared to go so I did my best with food choices. And apart from the homemade hushpuppies, I didn’t overindulge in any of it. I had small portions, but they were all fried. Yikes…then near the end of the evening I ate the s’mores knowing that I should not. Period. Disappointed two days in a row now…resetting now.

********

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Popchips 3 (3)
Skinny Cow 3 (6)
Chicken sandwich 10 (16)
Small fries 5 (21)
ice cream cone 4 (25)

Skinny cow bar 3 (28)
mini kit-fat 2 (30)

Chinese noodles 7 (37)
Chicken and shrimp 16 (53)
Egg Roll 3 (56)
Crab rangoon 5 (61)
chicken 1 (62)
Watermelon 0 (62)
Fortune cookie 1 (63)

Total PointsPlus: 63 *18 over target. Um, not happy with this.*

Water Consumption: 11 glasses

Fruits and Veggies:

Exercise: I did not workout today.

Notes: I knew what I was doing as I was doing it. I see a direct correlation with my stress level and my eating, and I chose not to control it at the end of the evening. I’m obviously not pleased with myself, but I believe I can still have a successful week on the scale. And I’m really aggravated that I have allowed myself to feel defeated without bothering to workout. I’ll keep working inside my head so I can do better than this. I want to do better than this.

********

Friday, June 17, 2011

115 g vanilla Greek yogurt 3 (3)
fresh strawberries and blueberries 0 (0)

toast 2 (5)
Light Laughing Cow wedge 1 (6)
tomatoes 0 (6)
banana 0 (6)

sour cream and onion Popchips 3 (9)
fun-size Snickers 2 (11)

handi-snack 3 (14)
banana 0 (14)
candy 5 (19)

sushi rolls 14 (33) *overestimating because I’m not sure!*
Skinny Cow wafer bar 3 (36)
fortune cookie 1 (37)

watermelon 0 (37)
sugar snap peas 0 (37)

Skinny Cow wafer bar 3 (40)
fresh blueberries and strawberries and coolwhip free 0 (40)

Popchips 3 (43)
mini snickers 2 (45)

Total PointsPlus: 45 *didn’t go over my target today. yay!*

Water Consumption: 11 glasses

Fruits and Veggies: 10 servings

Exercise: 27 minutes circuit training *earned 9 activity points*

Notes: Today proved that tracking my food intake for everyone to see (if they want to) affects my choices. I considered Chinese takeout, but I knew that sushi would be a better choice. And it was really important to me to stay at or under my target today. I’m so happy that I did.

********

Thursday, June 16, 2011

banana 0 (0)

egg white sandwich w/bacon, mozzarella and tomatoes 5 (5)
Popchips 3 (8)
extra tomatoes 0 (8)

Sushi roll 8 (16)
Cheesecake cup 3 (19)
candy 5 (24)
BBQ Popchips 3 (27)

tortilla chips 7 (34)
refried beans 2 (36)
pico de gallo 0 (36)
banana 0 (36)
Skinny cow wafer bar 3 (39)
fresh mixed berries 0 (39)

popcorn 2 (41)
Cheesecake cup 3 (44)
mini kit-kat 2 (46)

Total PointsPlus: 46

Water Consumption: 8 glasses – will up this to 10 before bed!

Fruits and Veggies: 6 servings

Exercise: 55 minutes of cardio *earned 8 activity points*

Notes: I hit 46 again today. Really? Okay, so I need to cut down on the fruit a bit and concentrate more on eating vegetables tomorrow.

********

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

1/2 serving of Uncle Sam Strawberry cereal 2 (2)
1/4 c. fat-free milk 1 (3)

1 c. fresh strawberries 0
1/2 c. fresh blueberries 0
6 tbsp. Coolwhip Free 1 (4)

Popchips 3 (7)

1 c. watermelon 0 (7)
cheesecake cup 3 (10)

WW Smart Ones meal 7 (17)
1 c. tomatoes 0 (17)
banana 0 (17)

homemade chicken club sandwich 10 (27)
1 oz. Sunchips 3 (30)
cheesecake cup 3 (33)

popcorn 2 (35)
Skinny Cow wafer bar 3 (38)
Chip’ins 3 (41)
Cheesecake cup 3 (44)
Strawberries/blueberries/Coolwhip Free 0 (44)

Strawberries/blueberries/banana/Coolwhip Free 0 (44)
Mini Kit-Kat + 1 reduced fat Nilla wafer 2 (46)

Total PointsPlus: 46

Water Consumption: 11 glasses

Fruits and Veggies: 11 servings

Exercise: 27 minutes of circuit training *earned 9 activity points*

Notes: I’m anxious to get on target. Going 1 P+ over two days in a row is just silly. I’ll work on improving that tomorrow, but I’m proud of myself for working out and staying pretty close to my target. There is clear room for improvement, and that’s all I need to focus on now.

********

Homemade Cheecake Cups

1/2 oz. sun chips 2

1 1/2 c. watermelon 0
Cheddar Popchips 3

microwave popcorn 5
Skinny Cow wafer crisp bar 3
Cheesecake cup 3 *Went a little crazy with these today. This new recipe = so good!*

Total PointsPlus: 46 *One P+ over target, but I think I’m okay due to activity points.*

Water Consumption: 12 or 14 glasses *I lost track after 10 glasses*

Fruits and Veggies: 9 servings (servings based on 1/2 c. each)

Exercise: 50 minutes of cardio *7 activity points earned*

Notes: I’m mostly satisfied with my tracking today..also feeling good about getting creative with dinner and dessert. I’m looking forward to being more creative throughout the day tomorrow. Overall, I’m feeling pretty positive about my choices I’ve made today.

It’s not easy to put emphasis on my personal food choices, but I’m doing it. And this may not be the last time.  I definitely made better choices throughout the week (sans weekend) based on the knowledge that I’d be sharing my intake so I plan to record everything I eat over the weekend.  Being at a party Saturday could get tricky so I will implement my newest personal accountability tactic.

How has your week been?  Are you eating in a way that makes you feel proud of yourself? Ashamed? Somewhere in the middle?  And what’s happening with your workouts?  How can you improve this week?

Roxie-Girl
    June 24, 2011 at 8:13 am

I’ve had more than a few popcorn and smore’s nights myself. I always ask “why” afterwards. Why do I wait til AFTER? Who knows, but something to keep in mind next time it happens.

You had some wonderful food choices, especially your fruits and veggies! Keep going strong and keep a mental note of trigger foods? Keep them far far away!

xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

June 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I did that this evening by not ordering pizza. I actually called, ordered and cancelled..ha I ate sushi instead (which I wanted more anyway) and enjoyed it even though it was less convenient. #win

Lisa
    June 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

I can totally relate! I never really paid attention to my emotions, either – other than I tend to get bored at work = munchies. That’s a good idea to write it down along with the rest of the tracking.

I’ve also decided that Tim Horton’s TimBits (little donuts) are food crack. I can’t even be in the same room as those things because I can’t control myself. And at around 2 P+ each?? Insane.

June 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Haven’t heard of them…sounds like that’s a good thing!

Brooke
    June 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

I don’t do a food log on my blog, but my blog isn’t really about weightloss and more about just my life being fat (the good, bag, ugly, funny etc.). I do however post my eating habits on a forum on a cruise website (as I love cruising) and I use my cruises to encourage goals. Its the cruising healthy forum and I list my food I plan to eat for the day. Its an eye opener sometimes especially when I think I’m doing something healthy (like a Mcd’s wildberry smoothie for 5points that is full of sugar) and then people help me see that maybe that isn’t a good choice. I think as long as you are seeing the errors of your ways and then make attempts to change them…….you are always WINNING. 🙂

Patty (135by2012)
      June 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

Brooke, I love cruising too! I even got married on a cruise ship. Which cruise website forum did you join?

Brooke
        June 24, 2011 at 10:58 am

cruisecritic.com has a board for healthy cruising. I think my thread is called Cruising to Healthy.

Patty (135by2012)
          June 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Cool! I use cruisecritic.com all the time and never went into the healthy cruising board. I will check it out 🙂

Amber
    June 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

I need to get back into logging what I eat and posting it on my blog. It was initially why I started blogging and I’ve kind of gone away from that. I’ve found that I’m way more successful when I do it.

I have a couple of questions for you! So the WW PointsPlus , I know at first you were a little hesitant about it and are enjoying it now, but I have a hard time understanding it (I did WW a few years ago on the old points plan). A banana has 100 calories in it, eating five bananas a day is still 500 calories. Good calories? Sure. But still 500 calories, and in my case AS a calorie counter, that’s more than 1/3 of my days worth of calories. That’s a lot to me, so I don’t quite understand how WW is able to get away with listing them or any other fruit and veggie as 0 points and still have client success. Are you limited on the number of free fruits and veggies you can have in a day? Are ALL fruits and veggies free or do some still have points attached to them?

I think even with a couple of slip ups you’re still doing great even if you’re not doing so well with food you’re still getting your exercise in and it looks to be really good lengths of exercise too! Keep it up girl, you got this!

June 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm

No, you’re not limited, but I don’t think gorging on it works either…you know? I try to eat between 5 and 10 or so fruits and veggies per day…but not all fruits, and it seems to be working. I’m down another pound this week!

Mike Badger (@Used2b500Pounds)
    June 24, 2011 at 9:46 am

I have been in a funk over the past few weeks with eating too. Accountability is a big motivator for me so good on you for owning it. I have a saying:

“Own it, learn from it, get over it, get on with it!”

June 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Awesome advice Mike…..

Patty (135by2012)
    June 24, 2011 at 10:57 am

I started logging my emotions when I eat. It was a real eye opening process. I thought I was a bored eater, but turns out I eat more when I am stressed and crave the worst foods at stressful times. When I am happy, or not as stressed my eating is right on. Now, I am learning how to handle my stress, so I don’t grab food. It is still a challenge, but atleast I am aware and am trying.

PS – I love that your follwers can directly reply to other comments. Such a great feature that helps us all connect.

June 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I love it too Patty! I see you guys talking and love it!

aggie in illinois
    June 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

To Amber (above): My experience with the new WW is that you REALLY have to exericse to counteract all the sugar in the fruit, which are supposedly 0 points. I do WW at Work and our leader said the first day, “I had a member who wasn’t’ losing and I looked at his tracker and he was eating 5 bananas!” Nobody asked, 5 a day?? 5 a week?? WTH. And I didn’t ask either because it didn’t occur to me until after I started (and did poorly) that 0 points fruit might not be so great. On the momentum plan, I could eat all my points, maybe use all the extras, exercise once or twice and still lose. I personally can’t do that on the new plan. And technically if you put in the nutrition info of a Miller Lite into the calculator, it comes up as 0 points… everywhere else says it’s 3.

I went out for pizza last night and lost track of how many pieces I had. I can do well for a couple of days and then fall off the wagon. Going try attempt moderation and exercise this weekend. I’m just so burned out on the gym and the machines and the weights… that I’ve been running after work around my neighborhood. I need to get back on the gym wagon too.

Brooke
      June 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for talking about the fruit. I had been eating fruit to supplement snacks during the day. But not high calorie fruit like banana (watermelon, grapes, oranges, apples, berries etc.). Still it adds up and the loads of natural sugar can still have effect. I was probably eating about 2-5 servings of fruit a day. I think that is why I haven’t been doing so well on the plan. However, I noticed when i stopped supplementing with fruit my cravings got worse and I made bad decisions. Its so much easier to grab a baggy of fruit and nibble on them while I’m working and I’ve always been more partial to fruit than veggies. But, I know I need to change my focus to change myself and so I’m going to give most fruit up ( 2servings) and try to supplement more with veggies (easy ones like carrots and broccoli that I can also munch on).

June 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I supplement with veggies more than fruit, yeah…good plan!

Amber
      June 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Thanks so much for the info, I was really curious how people were handling this.

I guess ultimately in the end, as with ANYTHING, moderation and variety is key.

Nina Patricia
    June 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I think this is really good for you (and all of us) I feel like when I write it down I can really keep myself in check or at least make better choices the next day

June 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

It definitely works for me Nina!

Miss April
    June 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I like that people discussed the fruit vs. veggies – that is something I hadn’t gained a helpful knowledge of before starting to read. Any fruit or veggie is better than a donut or chips – but if weight loss is the goal, carbs and calories matter a lot. Good post and comments!

Hilary @ The Big Weight
    June 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I like this idea a lot and I also appreciate you posting it!