Healthy Eating Lifestyle Reflection

Breakfast Matters

As I write this post, I am eating vanilla Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries and blueberries.  I eat it almost every morning because it’s a good P+ value, delicious and easy.  Sometimes I eat a cup (225g) and sometimes only 1/2 cup (112g) plus a serving of fruit or two.

225 g plus fruit = 5 p+

I’ve never been a fan of breakfast.  Seriously…if I could wait to eat until 4pm everyday, I would.  And for years, I did just that.  I didn’t understand why my weight continued to creep up when I spent half of the day not eating.  It never occurred to me that I was doing myself more harm than good by not eating breakfast.

I was (am) morbidly obese so, in my mind, it made sense that I should skip a meal or two.  After all, strangers (and people I knew) often made jokes out of me by saying I should do just that.  I skipped breakfast regularly, and I didn’t feel hungry.  I did, however, feel tired and lethargic though I didn’t understand that eating breakfast could (and would) eventually change that.

Then I joined Weight Watchers, and I quickly learned that breakfast was “essential.”  My WW leader praised the benefits of breakfast and insisted that it was necessary to jump-start my metabolism.  So I began eating breakfast (a little begrudgingly because I preferred to save as many points for the evening as I could.)  I began eating a banana then grew into egg whites with toast then ventured into breakfast cereals like Fiber One Honey Clusters and Kashi GoLean Crunch.  I also fell in love with Special K chocolate protein shakes. Yum!

And after a few months of healthy eating (including a balanced breakfast) I started losing weight, but I also noticed that I had more energy (particularly in the afternoon) and less cravings throughout the day.  At that moment, I was sold, and I’ve been eating breakfast ever since.

At this point, eating breakfast is part of my daily routine.  It still has to be easy (no more early morning egg white omelets for me) and nutritious and quick because I still get queasy at the thought of eggs before noon.  I just know that breakfast is an essential part of healthy living, and I want to give my body the tools it needs to reach my goals.

And because Attune Foods knows the importance of breakfast, they have invited me to take part in an 8-week breakfast swap.  Starting next week, I’ll be swapping out my regular breakfast (currently vanilla Greek yogurt and fresh berries) for a bowl of Uncle Sam’s cereal.

I was hesitant to take part in this swap because one serving of Uncle Sam Original is worth 5 P+ on Weight Watchers plus milk, and I’m still pretty hesitant to spend that much on breakfast.  But the cereal is filled with protein, fiber and other nutrients so I’m going to give it a shot.

I’ll be blogging about it at AttuneFoods.com along with my friends, Jess and Mel.  If you don’t know Jess and Mel you should because they’re awesome!  You can click on their names above to check them out!

Attune Foods will provide me with cereal for the swap, but my thoughts and opinions on the swap will me mine…and they will be authentic.  During the swap, I’ll be offering up some fun opportunities for several of you to try Uncle Sam as well so stay tuned and get ready for some early morning, breakfast fun.

Now tell me…Do you eat breakfast everyday?  If so, what do you eat?

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming
    June 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Like you, I used to skip breakfast thinking I was saving calories but nowadays, I never skip my morning meal. It keeps me from overeating later in the day!

I actually look forward to breakfasts now because I often eat very light at night.

June 30, 2011 at 3:02 pm

So true Grace! =)

Shari @ Finding A Weigh
    June 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I eat breakfast daily, depending on how much time I have to prepare it and depending on if its a run day or not determines what I eat. My current go-to fav is Western Bagel Alternative English Muffins (2), 1/4 egg beaters, and 1 Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedge. Its got tons of protein and fiber to tide me over and good before running. Otherwise its cereal (Wheaties!) and skim milk with coffee =)

June 30, 2011 at 3:12 pm

And because it’s mid-afternoon, an egg sandwich sounds delish! =) I’m super allergic to egg beaters, but I might have to go for some egg whites at some point today. And who doesn’t love Laughing Cow? =)

Amy
    June 30, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I would skip breakfast it I could get away with it too! I have a glass of orange juice (2 fruit servings on the plan I’m on) before I leave in the morning and then about an hour into my day at work I have a FiberOne breakfast bar.

June 30, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I like Fiber One bars too! Forgot to mention those! =)

Tabitha
    June 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I eat breakfast everyday. Usually waffles with two slices of bacon (Low sodium and center cut).

June 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Yum! That’s the kind of thing that sounds good to me for dinner. =)

Misty @ Life Off the D List!
    June 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

This is something I still struggle with. I have never been a breakfast person, and still am not…however I am still constantly working on changing that. My RD told me that on average people who eat breakfast have less issues with weight. I know how important it is but yet I still find myself struggling to have something first thing in the morning other than coffee.

June 30, 2011 at 4:10 pm

There are so many days in which I don’t feel like eating so I opt for the Special K shake….it seems to work for me on those days..

Melissa
    June 30, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I eat breakfast every day. If I had my way I would go the way of the big breakfast: pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon…yum! But I try to go the healthier route and I have applesauce with granola, or a smoothie.

Patty (135by2012)
    June 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I usually an egg sandwich. 1 large scrambled egg with a slice of 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese on an english muffin with one 1 tsp of whipped butter. I need to incorporate a fruit with it too.

On off days, I have a bowl of cereal and 2% milk.

June 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Sounds so good..definitely going to have an egg sandwich later! 🙂

Bonnie
    June 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I usually eat a yogurt, and a whole wheat english muffin with 1tbsp of a light peanut butter. Then about 2-3 hours later I have 1/2 1% cottage cheese. I try to eat every 3 hours, I find that really helps!

June 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Light peanut butter? Interesting…..I’d like to try that…

Diane
    June 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Like you, I am not a fan of eating breakfast. Most of the time it makes me queasy to think about it. BUT there is a huge difference between my energy level when i do or don’t eat breakfast. Most days I will try to eat a medium serving of fruit (medium banana has been a favorite lately) when I wake up, and about an hour later I’ll have a cup of sugar free carnation instant breakfast for some protein.

Becca
    June 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Have you checked out http://www.mixmygranola.com? I do that so I know what is in my cereal and I eat it with low fat yogurt and a banana. I am a diabetic so it is tricky but I am working hard at it.

Thank you for a great blog!

Amanda
    June 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I used to skip breakfast (I felt like I was going to hurl if I ate any time before 10:00 a.m.), but I always eat breakfast anymore. Usually it’s either an egg and 2 whites (and about 1/2 oz. of sharp cheddar or shaved Parmesan) scrambled with a side of berries, or I’ll get the egg white with Black Forest ham & Provolone cheese muffin melt with a baggie of apple slices from Subway.

Michelle @ The Running Jewess
    June 30, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I don’t think I could survive without breakfast. Every morning I have a bowl of oatmeal at work, on the weekends I eat more brunch. I also make sure to have fruit available at work so there are healthy snack options at all times, usually I’ll have a banana between breakfast and lunch.

Corinthe
    June 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

We have protein fruit shakes, or yogurt and berries as well. I am a HUGE lover of Greek yogurt (all the protein!). I don’t love high maintenance breakfasts, so whatever is quickest is best. We’ve also had plain instant oatmeal with almond butter and cinnamon. Yummy!

Angela
    June 30, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I LOVE BREAKFAST!!!! Although I usually end up waiting a couple hours after I wake up . . . . I ALWAYS eat it!! I saute onions and peppers in olive oil and cook down spinach . . . then I add mushrooms & chopped tomatoes and add 1/2 c. egg beaters (or egg whites if I run out) and sprinkle Cajun seasoning on and scramble it all up. Then it goes in a low carb tortilla and top it with Weight Watchers cheese . . . . then into the microwave to melt the cheese. I pair it with nonfat yogurt and a fruit or 2. Keeps me completely satisfied until lunch!

Melissa E.
    June 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I, too, love greek yogurt and kashi go lean cereal. But my favorite thing to have is scrambled eggs with red and yellow peppers, spinach, and a little bit of goat cheese. It’s healthy enough for me and it keeps me full for a long time. Plus, it is absolutely delicious.

Kathie
    July 1, 2011 at 12:08 am

I love breakfast, but I eat the same thing every day. I have a high point value right now (54) so I can afford it. I like 1 egg, 1 english muffin & 1T jelly and fruit (to the side). Not perfect, but it’s quick and easy.

Kris
    July 1, 2011 at 12:50 am

What I eat depends on what I’m doing and where I’m eating. If I’m running, I eat a toasted english muffin with peanut butter and honey.

If I’m eating at work, I’ll eat cold cereal (usually Vector – high in P+, but filling!) with milk and a banana.

If I’m at home, but not running, I will sometimes cook myself oatmeal with a banana mixed in, or eggs of some sort.

But unless I’m sick, I (now) always eat breakfast. It’s a learned behaviour though!

Nina Patricia
    July 1, 2011 at 1:52 am

I’ve always eaten breakfast, although is mostly toast and coffee. I’m adding an egg now and then, and snacking on fruits mid morning. I’m so not a morning person but I have notice my energy has increased.

Hilary @ The Big Weight
    July 1, 2011 at 8:12 am

I try to switch up my breakfast every week so I don’t get bored. This week I made French toast from the Eat What You Love cookbook – it’s one that is focused on WW Points+ so you should check it out if you haven’t already!

Jill
    July 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’ve always been a breakfast eater. My favorite things to eat for breakfast are the types of things you’d find in a continental breakfast, fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc. My favorite is actually strawberries and blueberries with yogurt! lol Every once and a while I made low fat bran muffins and throw them in the freezer and then take them out as I need. 🙂