Happy Taste Buds

I know I said that I wouldn’t post about what I eat daily just because I’ve added a new Food Journal tab, and I won’t.  But I want to share how posting my food journal on my blog affected my choices yesterday.  If you missed yesterday’s post, you can read my reasons for sharing everything I eat for the week here.   And if you want see a complete list of everything I ate yesterday, click here.

I’m no stranger to tracking, but sharing the details of my intake for everyone to see (if they want to) definitely had a little impact on the choices I made yesterday.  And I’m already thinking about how I can improve on my choices today.

There wasn’t a huge difference in how I tracked yesterday versus other days, and it feels good to recognize that.  But knowing that I planned to share my snacks and meals drove me to be a bit more creative with dinner.  I  baked chicken breasts stuffed with broccoli, cheese and bacon with mashed potatoes and cheesecake cups for dessert.

An old photo of the same dish because I forgot to photograph it today!

I adapted the recipes from one of my favorite sites, www.skinnytaste.com.  You can find Gina’s *stuffed chicken recipe here and the **cheesecake cups recipe here.  They were both easy to make and satisfying.  I made the chicken pretty regularly when I lived in New York, but this was my first attempt at baking cheesecake cups.

3 P+ of sheer deliciousness!

I baked my first authentic NY cheesecake last Winter for a guy I dated briefly, and you can see it here.  Each slice was valued at 11 P+! In fairness, the servings were bigger, but who needs 11 points of decadence?  The cheesecake cups are perfect because I can enjoy a guilt-free portion, and I can even double it if I want to…and I did. 😉

Tracking often feels like a game in which I attempt to get the most bang for the buck (i.e. the most food for the points,) but yesterday the game seemed to revolve around satisfying my taste buds while making healthy and sustainable choices.  I’m looking forward to seeing what I can come up with today.

What will you eat for dinner tonight?  Do you eat differently when you know others are observing?

*I added a slice of bacon and used half a slice of mozzarella instead of Swiss.

**I used Dannon Vanilla Greek yogurt, left out the lemon zest and substituted with strawberries and blueberries because I had them in the fridge already. =)

Miz
    June 15, 2011 at 5:37 am

I love this and I really think part of what you say is why it has been SIMPLE EASY for me not to weigh or count calories.
    Im NOT a numbers fan.
    I can think of many games I adore 🙂 but ones with number are not in the list.

calorie counting or points counting with your mindset is a healthy ONLY A TOOL thing.

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming
    June 15, 2011 at 6:55 am

My dinners are always very small. I actually eat more if I’m among other people because I don’t want them to think I don’t eat.

My bf’s favorite dessert is cheesecake so I always make him one for special events. I need to look into these cups though!

June 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I adore cheesecake Grace! And I have to say that I love the cups. =0) I’m looking forward to taking the to parties and things where it’s easier than bringing one big cheesecake.

And I love cute cupcake wrappers so it’s really just an all-around “win” for me. =)

Marla
    June 15, 2011 at 7:06 am

They both look yummy, but the cheesecake cups look incredible. I may have to make some soon.

Miss Felicity
    June 15, 2011 at 7:50 am

Wow! That chicken looks delicious, you should post the recipe. I know its probably common sense to throw together, but I just love to have a recipe to coach me along. MMMMM! thanks for sharing 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm

The recipe is available in this blog post. Just click where it says “chicken recipe here” between the photos…=)

Michelle
    June 15, 2011 at 8:33 am

It is official, I’m making that chicken for dinner this evening. Thanks for (inadvertently) suggesting it! And those cheesecake bites look delicious, but I don’t think they’d be safe in my refrigerator.

June 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Oh Michelle! I think you’ll love it! Let me know how it goes! =0)

Joan
    June 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

The dinner was great! I never try new things I usually stick to what I eat, fattening stuff in Louisiana, but I got home and Kenz had dinner waiting. It looked good, but most of all it tasted great. And it was good for me.

he dessert was so pretty and easy to fix, I think it would be great for parties and just summer fun when you have company or family over. I didn’t eat the dessert. I don’t like cheesecake, but my neighbors were over and they and my husband loved it.

So it was a fanastic dinner and all legal if your watching your intake for points with weight watchers. Thanks Love you . MOM

June 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I’m glad you tried it Mom. I know you like to stick with what you know so I’m proud of you. =) Love you too!

DefineDiana
    June 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Those cupcakes look so yummy. Hopefully my Fiance will like them!
    Ok, this seems like a stupid question. Is it 3p+ for 1 cupcake or 3?

Amanda
    June 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’m going to have to try the cheesecake cups! My husband adores cheesecake, but at nearly 50 he’s seeing his metabolism drop and the scale inch up, so he needs something that will satisfy his sweet tooth with a bit less of a caloric impact 🙂

Tonight for dinner I’m having another interminable bowl of lentil soup (now with turkey sausage — only don’t tell my husband it’s turkey or his Louisiana-bred soul will shriek), and then for dessert I’m going to have a bowl of Edy’s Caramel Praline Crunch Yogurt Blends ice cream-like-substance, LOL. 2 servings are 7 P+ (1 serving is 3P+), and since today has been a lower points day, that works for me!

Bambi
    June 15, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I can’t wait to try that chicken recipe. I get bored with chicken and never think to stuff it with yummy things.
    I will probably make the cheesecake cups for my next family gathering. They are the perfect size for curing a sweet tooth.

I had subway for dinner. Simply because it was to late to cook something when I was finally headed home.

Lorie
    June 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Kenlie, I wanted to let you know that I made the cheesecake cups, I substituted fat free cream cheese and splenda sugar blend and they are only 2 pts!!! Not only that you can make 18 for 2 pts…I doubled the recipe to make 24, but was playing around and found you could make 18 for the same pt value. I also used Vanilla flavored fat free greek yogurt even w/ the additional point per serving compared to plain, they are only 2 pts..and let’s face it a point is a point….