One Week Commitment

My blog has been keeping me honest for a long time, but it’s time to step it up.  I am a firm believer in tracking my daily food intake, and I’ve been doing it pretty religiously since I started this blog.  I still do it, but I could be making much better choices.

Yesterday I actually thought it was a good idea to eat a Lean (Pizza) Pocket for breakfast.  And 7 wasted P+ later, I realized that I am no longer a fan of them.  I don’t always make choices that are that appalling, but you get the idea.  And I struggle on the weekends so I am going to hold myself accountable for the next 7 days.

Starting today, I am going to log everything I eat on my blog.  Don’t worry! I won’t be writing a post about it everyday.  I’m just going to quietly update my food intake in the Food JournalTab at the top of my site in the hopes that it will persuade me to make better choices.  It seems to work well with my Daily Cardio Log so it’s worth a shot.

We’ll see how I feel after a week and go from there.  Do you track your food intake?  If so, does it affect the choices you make?

Alyssa
    June 14, 2011 at 2:08 am

I really need to start tracking my food, which is part of the reason why I’m contemplating joining WW again! I applaud you for your public tracking- good idea to keep everything in one place and accountable.

June 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm

It’s a great way to stay accountable! We’ll see how tracking publicly goes, but so far it’s going well. =)

Sophie
    June 14, 2011 at 3:13 am

I find it I don’t track my food I just start eating anything in sight and my eating plan goes straight out the window! Good for you for vowing to do it publically – Good luck!! 🙂

Jill
    June 14, 2011 at 6:51 am

Hey Kenz, I’ve never commented on a blog of yours before, but I started reading yours a few weeks ago (from the beginning). I’ve seen you struggle and come back stronger than ever on multiple occasions. You’re such an inspiration, and I KNOW that you can do this. I track all of my food at fitday.com. It definitely helps me because I don’t realize how much I’m actually eating until I look at the totals on the screen. It keeps me accountable. I don’t necessarily make the best choices about what I’m eating (like I know for sure that eating carrots with my dinner would be far better than eating a low-cal snack cake for dessert). However, there’s a lot of reaffirmation that comes along with food tracking (for me), and I know that this is not a journey I would succeed on if I didn’t track. I know not everyone is that way, and more power to them, but if you’re looking for accountability, tracking is probably your friend.

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming
    June 14, 2011 at 7:23 am

I used to track my food intake and it definitely made me accountable and aware of how much I was eating. Nowadays I record mentally since I prepare almost all my meals.

It’s funny how our taste changes!

Michelle
    June 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

I track my food intake using myfitnesspal and it plays a huge part in helping me get to where I want to be. I need that accountability, it makes me think more about what I am eating and why.

Annie Weighs
    June 14, 2011 at 9:37 am

Good for you! I track religiously and it often keeps me from making poor choices. I do slip up from time to time, though, but I really think that’s okay as long as those times aren’t close together and I track it anyway! 🙂

June 14, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Yep! That’s the key Annie! We track anyway. =0)

Amanda
    June 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

I not only track my food, but I do it twice — once for the WW e-tools, and once on SparkPeople. Yep, I’ve got a running tabulation of what I’ve eaten daily that goes back farther than I can reasonably think. Why both trackers? In part because I’ve been using the SparkPeople tracker for so long I didn’t want to give up that particular record (plus it’s free, LOL). And also in part because I noticed that I tend to go below 1200 calories/day regularly while counting P+, so that reminds me to grab another piece of fruit or something, just to make sure I’m eating enough.

It’s a little weird, but I’m obsessive about data. It works for me 🙂

June 14, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I don’t think I could track twice..tried it for a while, but good for you! =)

Shannon
    June 14, 2011 at 11:11 am

When I track my food I do a million times better! In that same breath it is something I avoid doing because it scares me to be so accountable.
    I love the look here. You look gorgeous as always and I am excited to be back in the blogosphere 🙂

June 14, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Oh Shannnnnon! I’m SO HAPPY you’re here! <3 <3 <3

Heidi @ Finishing the Hat
    June 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

I log my food at LiveStrong every day. Or if I’ve missed a day, I try to catch up by the end of the next day. Whenever I feel myself getting less mindful about my food (like, if I find myself catching up frequently, instead of daily logging) I post my food log on my blog for 7 days to make sure it stays at the forefront of my mind. It’s very helpful to make that extra commitment.

June 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I think it’s such a great way to stay accountable. As you may know, I use WW e-tools, but when I can’t find something there, I find it at Livestrong. They have stats on everything. I love Livestrong too!

Amy @ A Little Nosh
    June 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I’ve slacked on tracking for the past month, and it’s shown on the scale. But now I’ve been tracking again for the past 3 days and I feel really good about the choices I’ve made.

Kris
    June 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm

After I reached goal in April 2010, I continued to use WW online tools to track – it kept me accountable. After I had surgery last fall and gained back 9 pounds, I used WW to take it off again. When they changed the points system, and my focus changed from weight loss/maintenance to eating properly for marathon training, I stopping using the WW points system, and switched to myfitnesspal.

Even now, using the tools helps me make better choices – I usually log my meal plans for all day in the morning, which tells me how many calories I have left to work with if I want a less than healthy snack. I can still have a treat, I just have to know where it fits into my plan. 🙂

DefineDiana
    June 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I do so much better when I track my food. When I don’t all hell breask loose! Good luck with tracking this week!

Tammy
    June 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’ve been making an effort to track every day. This weekend was crazy busy, and I didn’t track, but I was very conscious of everything that I ate. Tracking makes a huge difference in how I choose foods to eat, especially snacks.

Sarah
    June 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Food is a much bigger issue for me than exercise, so I log EVERYTHING every day! Even when I want to cheat & “miss” writing something down— I can’t. It’s a habit now.

Sarah @ Thinfluenced

June 14, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Me too! It’s a great habit! =)

Val
    June 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I am most successful when I track, but I am NOT as faithful with it as I wish I were.
    And I do love myfitnesspal-it’s on my phone-the easiest and best tracking app I’ve used. So basically I have no excuse at all 😉

Greg Lohr
    June 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Hi Kenlie! Love your blog, but especially your spirit. Keep on moving forward 1 step at a time and you will get to your destination!

Regarding your question about food tracking…it definitely works. I was lucky recently to be chosen to beta test a new health & fitness program that will be hitting the market soon, and they have a food tracking system as well, and it is really helping people be aware of what they are eating. They are also teaching us why the vast majority of people fail in their fitness programs. Wow…some amazing info. This is going to be awesome when it hits the market.

I’m not really trying to lose weight, but I am trying to lose a little fat and put muscle in its place (so that I maintain the same weight). I played with the food tracker for a little bit and it really made me realize that I need to watch my food intake just a little more carefully. Tracking what you eat opens your eyes to some bad habits you may not realize you have. I lost 5 lbs. in 1 week by using the food tracker without even trying to lose weight.

June 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Actually Greg, as I mentioned in my post, I’ve been tracking my food intake since Day One of my journey, and I’ve seen fantastic results so I know it works. My question was whether or not, my choices would change if I put them on display.

Laurie
    June 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I don’t know what is wrong with me. I feel like the only one in the world that doesn’t feel like tracking helps. Am I in denial?
    I am black and white. Either all healthy foods or bingeing. I guess I also can be healthy food til night and then bingeing.
    I have never felt that tracking will stop a binge. I keep saying “it works for everyone else, why not me? let’s try it again” . Ho hum. Would love to hear your thoughts on my nuttiness.

Steelers6
    June 18, 2011 at 12:11 am

“Do you track your food intake? If so, does it affect the choices you make?”

To answer that question, yes, I have been logging my eats for about 2.5 years. Interesting for me to see how long it actually is.

I know it has affected my choices at times. Perhaps moreso kind of early on as I was learning to record everything. I think I would feel less inclined to eat something so I wouldn’t have to bother to log it. Maybe in part bc I thought I wouldn’t be able to remember it. (it is for my eyes only, though.)

And I guess overall it does help keep me in line. I know my logging my food & the motto “if you bite it write it” HAS made me much more aware of what goes in my mouth. I will confess to even noting what I eat when I am on vacation. But, if it helps me somehow, even if it is a mental thing, then I will do it. A few times when I didn’t write it down [2 days while out of town] it made me feel like I would be headed to the beginning of the end of my WL journey. Slippery slope kinda thing. But I will also mention that I totally maintained my weight over that time, so I do know what I can and can’t do..I was encouraged by that.
    Best to you! Chrissy