Turning It Around

I’ve been feeling pretty pathetic over the last few days.  I tracked my food intake, but I didn’t eat the types of food that make me feel good.  I ate lots of fruits and veggies, but I also ate processed crap that leaves my stomach feeling bloated. I went straight from fighting a cold to nursing a foot injury, and it left me feeling like a giant underachiever.

My foot still hurts, but it doesn’t hurt so badly that I can’t workout so I knew it needed to happen today.  I didn’t need to run or do 45 minutes of butt-kicks, but I needed to get my heart pumping so I did.  When my friend, Kelly, exchanged text messages this afternoon, I committed to working out tonight so I decided to do something simple – Level 1 of the 30-Day Shred.  It’s one of my stand-by workouts so I did it then my friend, Megan,  showed up at the neighbor’s house and challenged me to do Level 3 with her so I did that too. I did over 50 minutes of circuit training, and it felt great!

Not sure what happened with my friend's camera, but you get the idea, right?

I was in a whiny, self-loathing, lethargic  mood until I started working out.  And almost immediately, my mood changed.  Instead of concentrating on my faults, I started feeling strong and athletic.  And during the second circuit of level 3, I realized that I could do more than I could last time!  I was even able to do the side planks near the end of the workout.

I’m not sure why it’s so hard to remember that a sweaty workout can change my mood almost instantly, but I’m happy to have remembered today.  My body needed a workout, and my mind needed to be released from the negativity that has tried to work its way in during the last 48 hours.  I’m thankful for friends like Kelly, Megan and Britt who challenge me when I need it. (Meg, our pics so didn’t turn out. We’ll have to workout again with one of our cameras. hehe)

Sometimes this lifestyle can be a battle, but I’m winning.  I am not a quitter.  I am strong, and I will continue doing what I have to do to be a little better each day.  And today, that’s enough.

On a different note, you can now subscribe to my blog (you know, if you want to.)  I’d love it and appreciate it so take a minute to make me smile.  If you have previously signed up through Blogger then I thank you, but you’ll no longer receive update there.

I hope everyone is having a productive and healthy week!

Jane Cartelli
    June 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm

One of my favorite movie quotes (re-written to fit this situation)

Exercise releases Endorphins; Endorphins make people happy ; Happy people do not kill themselves. Think about it: has anyone ever committed suicide during or directly after a workout. If I get my butt moving for just 5 minutes I am willing to go for an hour. I just have to get the first five minutes of sweat going and I can do that because it is just five minutes. It really is working for me today.

Keep going!

Jane~
    Keepingthepoundsoff.com

June 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm

“Happy people don’t kill their husbands. They just don’t!” That’s one of my favorite movies of all time. =) And you’re right! =)

Brandy
    June 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Love the pic! Nothing better than feeling sweaty and satisfied after a work out! Way to go! 🙂

STEPHANIE
    June 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Well, neighbor you know you are welcome to come workout every day, who knows maybe one day I’ll feel well enough to join you!!! Cause you rock!!!!

June 8, 2011 at 6:06 am

Thanks neighbor. =0) It felt awesome yesterday and today..see you tomorrow!

Gail (@its_gail)
    June 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Isn’t it great how a workout can turn everything around? Not just the endorphins but the feeling of accomplishment when it’s done.

June 8, 2011 at 6:06 am

It’s a powerful thing, isn’t it Gail? And it just builds..

Kelly, Future Thin Girl
    June 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm

See how much better we both felt after the workout was done & in the books? =)

June 8, 2011 at 6:07 am

I now Kelly! Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. It worked like a charm. 🙂

Heidi @ Finishing the Hat
    June 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I’m already subscribed via Google Reader. 🙂

Proud of you for working out even when you were feeling lethargic. I know how hard that is, and I know how great it feels afterwards, too. But why is it so hard to remember it when I feel that way?

June 8, 2011 at 6:09 am

I don’t know Heidi, but I do know that if we ever figure it out, we’ll be very, very rich…that means, of course, lots of Trader Joe’s Brie and dresses!

Chubby McGee
    June 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm

You are my FIT GODDESS of the day! Holy Lord! The 30 Day Shred Level 1 is SIMPLE?!?!?! I just started it and I’m DYING! Not to mention, I gave Level 2 a try and was, like, “WHAT?!?!?!?!?”

You’re my hero! MY HERO! I aim to be as strong as YOU some day! Thanks for inspiring the hell out of me! I’ll give Level 2 another go tomorrow. 🙂

June 8, 2011 at 6:10 am

I’ve never been any kind of goddess to anyone so I’ll take it. lol It’s not simple..it’s just that it’s familiar..I can do it with my eyes closed..you know?

And actually, Level 2 is a rough transition from Level 1, but if you keep at it, you’ll see that the transition isn’t quite as bad to Level 3. Hang in there..

It doesn’t get easier..we just get stronger.

Alana @ 107down
    June 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

needed to hear this today… I have been really discouraged and kinda gave up trying for a week or two. Gotta kick it up a notch. Thanks for the encouragement. 😉

June 8, 2011 at 6:12 am

You will never feel as good giving up as you will if you just keep trying. You’ve got this!

Patty (135by2012)
    June 8, 2011 at 2:43 am

I have never made it past week 1 of Shred and I don’t think I ever truly completed the workouts in week 1. I agree with Chubby McGee – You are my fitness HERO! Such a rockstar 🙂 I just started exercising again, and I have to agree with you, once you start and get the sweat going, you feel great. I hope I can get addicted to the feeling again.

June 8, 2011 at 6:11 am

It takes some time to get addicted, but I feel it happening in me again..so I know it’s possible. Just keep doing it..:)

Melissa Weisbard
    June 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I really need some of your determination. My husband and I worked out for years, but I absolutely HATE going to the gym. I love getting my heart pumping by doing fun outdoor activities, but I hate the atmosphere of the gym and I gave up my gym membership a few years ago. Lately, I’ve been feeling very lethargic and I know that I need to excercise. I just need some motivation. What do you do to stay motivated?

Courtney
    June 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I’ve had a horrible week and I just ate a McDonald’s double-cheeseburger combo that was definitely off limits, but your post has lifted my spirits and inspired me. Thank you for that.

I read somewhere recently that “you’re only one good workout away from a good mood.” So true.

martha
    June 14, 2011 at 7:41 am

Howdy. you have inspired me today when I do not feel like getting off of the couch. I am going to the gym.
    hugs:)