Uncategorized

A Guest Post By My Dad

My dad and I talk about my blog and the comments I receive pretty often. And he always has wonderful things to say about those of you who take time to share your thoughts so it seemed like fun to have him share his thoughts with you too!

When Kenlie surprised me with the invitation to do a guest post, I was honored to do it. I am her father, and I live north of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on a farm 20 miles from the nearest town.  I am proud to say I am the father of two lovely daughters, Kenlie being the eldest. Both have accomplished tremendous things in their lives, and I couldn’t be more proud of them.

While I am not on a weight loss journey, I do follow Kenz’s blog and read most of the comments that you leave for her everyday.  And one thing that truly pleases me is the sense of community and the common bond many of you share.  It seems that no matter where you are on your journey, there are things to learn from each other, and that is priceless.

For a long time, I was concerned about Kenlie’s excess weight.  And over the years, my heart ached for her – especially when she would break down and cry, as we discussed it.  I could not make her do it, but my prayer and heart’s desire for her was that she would come to a place, where she would do for herself, what I could not do for her.  And she did.  She reached that point, and the changes are amazing.

How many people in the middle of a weight loss journey can swim a mile?  I am sure some of you can, and I’ve watched my daughter do it. I’ve watched her transition to the person she is today and share her enthusiasm for what the future yet holds.

The icing on the cake (excuse my analogy) for me is watching her share her journey which allows her to inspire change in others. And when I read comments that express that, I am reminded  that she is on the right track.  Each of you is truly a blessing to her, and I know she is to many of you too.  Kenlie believes in what she’s doing, and she also believes in you.

As her father, I feel as though I should leave you with a wise thought, but what can I say?  The measure of a person’s character does not lie in our mistakes, our failures or our shortcomings.  We are, after all, human.  What matters more is our willingness to press on after those mistakes and to make ourselves better everyday.

We win at life by living it one day at a time, and everyday gives us the opportunity to chase our dreams.  I’m proud of Kenlie for doing it, and I’m proud of all of you for doing it too!

Michelle
    July 29, 2011 at 3:43 am

What a wonderful blessing it is to have a Dad who is so willing to let the world know how proud he is of his children. With mine he doesn’t have the ability to be a true Daddy. I have been lucky enough though to have in my life a step Dad who is worth his weight in gold and makes up for what my real father lacks a million times over. He makes sure I know that he is proud of me.

July 29, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Michelle, it’s good to know that your step dad appreciates you and makes sure you know…<3

MizFit
    July 29, 2011 at 5:24 am

Totally choked up.
    #thatisall
    #fornow

Marla
    July 29, 2011 at 7:04 am

” The measure of a person’s character does not lie in our mistakes, our failures or our shortcomings. We are, after all, human. What matters more is our willingness to press on after those mistakes and to make ourselves better everyday.”

Absolutely one of the greatest quotes I’ve every read. Thanks for a inspirational post Kenlie’s Dad.

July 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm

He really nailed it, didn’t he? It’s all about a “willingness to press on.” I agree completely..

Tammy
    July 29, 2011 at 7:09 am

What a great post! Thanks for your encouragement and words of wisdom, Mr. T.!

Shelley
    July 29, 2011 at 7:57 am

Very sweet post!

Corinthe
    July 29, 2011 at 8:49 am

“The measure of a person’s character does not lie in our mistakes, our failures or our shortcomings. We are, after all, human. What matters more is our willingness to press on after those mistakes and to make ourselves better everyday.

Wise words from a wise man, and definitely something I needed to hear today. Thanks Kenlie’s Dad!

July 29, 2011 at 12:46 pm

He’s going to be so happy you heard him when he reads the comments later today. And I’m glad too.

Hyla
    July 29, 2011 at 8:50 am

Awesome post! Words of wisdom! You are so very lucky to have him in your life!

July 29, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I know. <3

Doing It My Weigh
    July 29, 2011 at 9:13 am

“We win at life by living it one day at a time, and everyday gives us the opportunity to chase our dreams”

I love this quote! Chasing implies that we are actively pursuing whatever it is we want. Nothing in life worth having just falls into our laps..we have to put some effort into getting what we want. Awesome guest post by your dad…loved every word!

KCLAnderson (Karen)
    July 29, 2011 at 9:15 am

Dear Kenlie’s Dad:

It has always touched me that you read Kenlie’s blog and sometimes leave comments or comment on our comments 🙂 I am so glad you openly share your pride in, and admiration for, your daughter. You are a good father.

Dear Kenlie:

This post has me in tears and I thank you for that and for inviting your Dad to write a post. In some ways I feel that your Dad’s words are meant for me too. My Dad also read my blog and cared about me in the same way that yours does. I miss mine so much. It’s been just about seven months since he died.

July 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm

You know, Karen..I think my dad’s words are definitely meant for you too. In fact, yours is the first comment I can ever remembering my dad comment on…cool, huh? 🙂

I can’t imagine (don’t want to) what it would be like to lose him. I’m so sorry you have to know that pain right now…<3

dad
        July 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Karen,
        I lost my dad 7 months before Kenlie was born. In fact, we were to go to the doctor to confirm the pregnacy the day we buried him. That will be 32 years in December. I still miss him.

Jules Big Girl Bombshell
    July 29, 2011 at 9:32 am

Thanks Kenlie’s Dad for the words of wisdom and the support you show for your daughter….

BTW : your icing on the cake analogy is PERFECT here!

July 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm

hahhaha Jules…so true! 🙂

Joan
    July 29, 2011 at 10:06 am

This was and is a great post Wayne. I agree with everything you said and I too love our daughter and I am proud of her and the accomplishments she has made with her weight and what she is will do in the future with it. Next year I know you will see another milestone. She is a fantasic young women.Thanks for the post it was great.

July 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Love you Mom! <3 <3 <3

Michelle S.
    July 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

Great post Mr. Kenlie’s Dad! I’m so glad that she has such a great support system at home. I know there are times that comments and emails can be mean-hearted so it’s good that there’s someone there for her. She’s done such an amazing job and it’s nice knowing that people can appreciate the hard work she’s done while she’s still on her journey. Also, gotta say, a little jealous of living on a farm 20 miles from the nearest town. That’s one of my dreams!

July 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

He’s far away, but he’s always there. Does that make sense?

Also, you like the idea of the farm too? Dad loves it…but it would drive me insane..lol

dad
      July 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm

i do enjoy it.deer, wild turkeys, the occasional rattlesnake,a great pond close by, starlit nights, cattle lowing in the evenings, tons of trees and a lot of peace and quiet.

Rebecca
    July 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

So very sweet!

Tatiana
    July 29, 2011 at 11:57 am

Very well spoken & very sweet!!! Indeed I agree with Dad! Kenlie I am so proud of you & in giving me the inspiration to loose weight! Thanks for all your support & in dedicating so much of your time educating others on how you do it!!! If you ever publish a book I’ll be one of the first to buy it!!! Congrats!! <3

July 29, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Wow Tatiana! Thank you and thank you……!

Amanda
    July 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm

SO well said, Kenlie’s dad — thank you for guest posting 🙂

@LisainLouKY
    July 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Oh.My.Word! How sweet is it that your Dad wrote all those great things! My favorite line is: “We win at life by living it one day at a time, and everyday gives us the opportunity to chase our dreams.” — I think I may ‘steal’ it and print it to hang up on my mirror!

Sweet blessings to you and your super supportive parents! What a great network of support you have!

–Lisa

July 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Thanks Lisa……I do have really supportive parents. Thank you! =0)

dad
      July 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

lisa
      it’s not stealing, if i tell you to, by all means take it.
      dad

Jill
    July 29, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Wow. You’re a lucky girl 🙂

July 29, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I know. 🙂

Jan
    July 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Oh my word! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that your Dad did a guest post on your blog. I had that “awwww” feeling the whole time. What a great supporter of you. What a wonderful father and friend. What an encourager! I love that he’s so proud of you (and he should be). I love that he reads your blog and the comments (now that’s one devoted reader). 🙂 Thank you for having him guest post and thank you Kenlie’s Dad for such an encouraging and powerful post.

July 29, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I love that he did it too! I can’t believe I didn’t think of asking him sooner! 🙂

Kathie
    July 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm

What a powerful support partner you have Kenlie. Awesome post Dad!

July 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I’m blessed with two really supportive parents who love me and believe in me. =0)

Dana
    July 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Awww, your dad is AWESOME!!!!! What a great guest post! Thank you, Kenlie’s daddy!!!

July 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I know, right? =0)

Jessica
    July 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm

What a great guest post! I want to give your dad a hug!

July 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I wish I could give him a hug today too..I haven’t seen him since April, and it’s going to be a while…can’t wait…..

Emily
    July 29, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Honestly, I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes. What a genuine and beautiful relationship you clearly have with your father. I’m so glad that he stopped by and shared a little piece of his perspective with us. 🙂

The last part got me, because I really did feel the sincerity in his comment:

“We win at life by living it one day at a time, and everyday gives us the opportunity to chase our dreams. I’m proud of Kenlie for doing it, and I’m proud of all of you for doing it too!”

What a great support, Kenlie. Thanks to both of you for sharing!!

Steelers6
    July 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Well, wasn’t that nice! I enjoyed reading Dad’s words, and feel I’ve gained some insight into your writing gift Kenz!

Yes, she IS a blessing to her readers!

Interesting to think about a parent’s concern for their adult child, & the helpless feeling that must accompany that concern sometimes. I am a mother now, & I know it must have been a tough place to be. So neat that prayers were answered, & Kenz has a new perspective [as do I, finally!] and is working at this!

I so appreciate that my Dad has never said anything about my weight. Funny, bc he also has only commented in an encouraging/positive way maybe one time during my WL journey. But I would rather have that than someone harping, y’know?
    Hugs, Chrissy

Ximena
    July 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Thank you so much for your kind and warm words. We are happy to be part of this journey with her and each one of us are fighting our own battles to become better, healthier and as her we are doing it by going “All the Weigh”.
    Ximena

dad
    July 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

as for the farm. i just drove 1/4 mile south of my house through a wheat field to get to the pond and fish. i chased up 5 or 6 deer a hundred yards from my garage. didn’t catch any fish, but i enjoyed the late evening breeze and the peaceful setting.
    thanks for all the kind responses to my guest post. you are a delightful group and i am glad you and kenlie have a connection.
    dad

kristi
    July 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

U are a lucky girl Kenlie! My dad was never around for me. It bothered me for a long time but it’s all good now, I am a good mom and want to be an even better grandma one day.

Amanda
    July 31, 2011 at 9:13 pm

This so made me cry. Your dad is so proud of you and I love it. My dad is proud of me, too, but I don’t hear it as often as I need to hear it.

Sierra
    August 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Wow! What a gift to read this guest blog! Your dad is very eloquent and his love and care shine through his words! I don’t have a dad, but I do have a mom who is behind me 100%. Thanks for sharing your dad with us! 🙂