FMM and Some Other Stuff

If you read my blog regularly then you know that I typically post FMM on Sunday nights in preparation for Monday morning.  And if you didn’t know then the secret is out. 😉   So it’s late Sunday evening, and I find myself thinking of things that are unrelated to Friend Makin’ Mondays so I’ll get to that in a moment.

But first I’d like to share what’s happening in my world.  Last week, I weighed in on Monday with a few members of my family, and we’ll be keeping ourselves accountable every Monday through mid-October.  We live in different states, but we’ve decided to complete a weight-loss challenge together so I’ll be back to post my results of week one at some point Monday evening or Tuesday.

I needed this challenge because I’ve recognized for quite some time that I could be trying harder. Well folks, I tried hard this week!  I ate well and exercised like someone who actually wants to lose weight so I’m looking forward to stepping on the scale because I’m anxious to see the results of my efforts in black and white.

I mentioned over a week ago that I planned to start logging my losses again so that will begin this week.  For some reason, losing 100 pounds doesn’t seem overwhelming – probably because I’ve done it. 😉  But reaching the 200 pound weight-loss mark seems daunting so last week I started reframing my thoughts.  I mean, I know I can lose 100 pounds so I started looking at my journey as if it was Day 1. I feel good about it so I’m going to start logging as if this will be my second weigh-in.  So, I’ll have my current loss log in addition to the 100+ I’ve already lost.

It’s important for me (and anyone reading my blog) to remember that I’m doing what seems best for me.  I don’t have all of the answers.  If I did, I never would have tipped the scales around 400 pounds.  I’m just taking it day by day, and I’m intent on striving for more.  Now back to FMM!

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: Defining Moments

Was there a defining moment in which you realized that you needed to lose weight?  If so, will you elaborate? (If you experienced this moment in some other area of your life, please feel free to share that too!)

I’ve shared this before, but I am curious to hear what everyone else has to say about their moments.  People ask me this question fairly often, and I never have a short, precise answer.  But I can tell you how it all came about…About one month before I began losing weight, I was on an escalator at a Metro station in Washington DC.  I was relieved to be taking public transport there because of the giant escalators that don’t exist in New York subways, but that relief turned to intense pain when I slipped and broke my foot.  I was wearing Ugg boots, and the entire metro and escalator was wet with a cleaning astringent so my body went forward while my foot stayed behind me.

After an afternoon of being awkwardly  carried up the escalator by a team of fireman because I was too heavy for one then taken to the ER, where the doctor told me I was too heavy to use crutches and suggested a walker instead, I was frustrated.  And it was even more frustrating to realize how much harder everything over the next 6 weeks would be due to my weight.  My feet hurt terribly – both of them – not just the one that was broken.  I ached regularly, and I was looking forward to a nasty, prolonged recovery due to my extreme weight.  I took showers with a garbage bag taped around my leg, and I spent a week on a gorgeous desert island getting a strange tan as I was carted around in a wheelchair.  In short, I wasn’t living life in the way I wanted to be living it.

So one evening, after my foot had begun to heal, I googled Weight Watchers, and at that point, I knew I was going.  I knew I wanted to change, and going to that first meeting made me believe I could do it.  So while I can’t pinpoint an exact moment, I can look back on a series of events that led me to make changes.

And reflecting on this over the last few weeks has caused me to reframe my thought and reform my goals.  I’m pushing toward them again now, and I feel like I’m running in the right direction again.  Have I mentioned how much I hope the scale reflects that Monday afternoon?

Now it’s your turn…your answer certainly doesn’t have to be as long as mine, but I’m anxious to hear it.  This question is very personal to me so I plan to read everyone’s answer even if it takes a day or two to do that.  Have a happy Monday friends!

62 thoughts on “FMM and Some Other Stuff

1. Tiffany

I realized I needed to lose weight in a very vain way, I suppose. I realized that I was embarrassed to go to my High School reunion. I didn’t want the people I was friends with then to realize I’d gained almost 100 pounds. I was no longer this bubbly, hyper, skinny energetic girl that I had once been. So I didn’t go.

I’d gotten comfortable eating what I want and laying around. I hadn’t realized how bad I looked because when I looked in the mirror, to me, I didn’t seem that much bigger. But when I realized I couldn’t fit into my size 18 jeans, I looked all sorts of lumpy in a swimsuit even with a cover up….and I make a “meh” noise when getting out of a chair….I needed to do something.

I’ve lost 38 pounds since the beginning of the year although honestly…I can’t really tell a difference yet. I feel like I need to lose about 30-40 more. I need to get my butt into gear and get to it. I’m frustrated that I’ve stopped losing weight lately.

I do have to say, though….your blog inspires me, Kenz. I’m so happy I found you! You’re great:)

1. Kenlie Post author

I’m happy you found me too Tiff! I think you’re awesome…

And hey…I know all about that frustration! I’m trying to push through it myself, and I believe that we both can. We just have to keep trying!

2. Kris

I’m in…. I’ve told my story many times too, and each time I try to figure out why THIS time, the decision to lose actually worked, and why I’m keeping it off. I *think* a large part of it was my complete change in attitude toward exercise, but so many other little things make it work too.

Great topic this week, Kenlie!

1. Kenlie Post author

I can really appreciate your series of moments because I relate to them..thank you for sharing them Kris!

1. Kenlie Post author

I love this topic too, and I chose it because I figured that a lot of us would have a great deal to say about it.

3. Chubby McGee

Kenz, you’re amazing. In sharing these stories, you give so many people such strength. And I love that. You empower people to get healthy. You are awesome!

As for one of my defining moments, I’d have to say it was when I tried on a sleep shirt I’d gotten for my 31st birthday. It was an XXL and I thought for sure it would fit. It didn’t even button at the bottom…around my hips. Yo…the shirt was HUGE. I was mortified. Shortly after that happened, my four-year-old mentioned something about how big my butt was. Apparently, I was in deep denial about the weight I’d gained. When my son…the pillar of truth….pointed out that my rump was bigger and my unshapely, bulky XXL nightshirt didn’t fit…I realized that it was time to get my butt into shape.

1. Kenlie Post author

You are amazing Ms McGee. =0) I had a moment recently in which I needed to cover up so I grabbed my mom’s robe knowing that I’d have to walk sideways because it was far too small only to realize that it fits with extra room now…but I remember when I was surprised that it wouldn’t even kind of fit…I like how it feels now more…

1. Kenlie Post author

Hi Suz! Your blog doesn’t have to be big to join! FMM is all about making new friends and appreciating the community of support that exists..we’re happy to have you! =0)

1. Suz

Thanks Kenlie! I’m so pleased, just got home from work and I’ve actually had some comments for the first time lol! Your followers are so lovely! x

4. Lorie

Hi Kenley, for me it started years ago, I have been heavy my entire life, I was at 320 lbs and had gastric bypass surgery Sept 3rd, 2003, I then lost approximately 145 lbs, I was happy at 175 lbs, but it then took me about 7 years to gain about 65 lbs back, I woke up January 2nd 2011 and was ready to get back at it (after seeing my neighbor New Year’s Eve..she joined in Sept)!!! For me it’s mental before anything else, I got up that Sunday morning, opened up my computer and joined Weight Watchers, my first meeting was January 3rd and I have lost 44.2 lbs so far (I weigh in tonight, hoping to hit that 45). I am so excited and LOVE the program, this is my new way of life……..

1. Kenlie Post author

I love the program too because it allows us to live life without unrealistic restrictions! =) Congrats on your achievements AND on your new way of life!

5. RobinH

I feel a bit out of place because I don’t usually blog about weight loss! But I am trying to lose weight and build healthier lifestyle habits- I’ve always been overweight but it’s been creeping up distressingly since I passed 40.

But my watershed moment had to do with exercise. I’ve always been klutzy and not good at sports. But in my twenties I was living near the mountains in a small town with few opportunities for a social life–but near lots of ski areas. So I figured I’d give it a try. I took some lessons in downhill skiing, and practiced, and it was fun, and I took some more lessons…and finally realized that I wasn’t bad at sports- probably more average. I’d just never liked a sport well enough to practice it before. Skiing, like other sports, is a *skill* and skills can be *learned*. And they get better with practice.

And that was a huge life lesson, and turned out to apply to so many more things than exercise. So now I’m practicing portion control and healthier eating. I need to work harder at the exercise part- I now have plenty of exercise that I enjoy, but it’s getting the time for it into my schedule that’s the challenge. Time management remains a skill that needs additional practice!

I enjoy reading your blog and the comments- its very inspirational.

1. Kenlie Post author

Robin, you are welcome here regardless of the focus of your blog! =) I knit too, but I’ve never completed a sweater…I’m still a novice! Welcome!

6. Pingback: Friend Makin’ Monday – Defining Moments

1. Kenlie Post author

It’s such a cool thing to talk about over and over…..it really doesn’t get old so keep talking..And congrats on the anniversary! =0)

7. TC Meagher

Hi everyone, my big moment was when I saw that Dukan diet on Dr. Oz and I just said to myself, I have to lose the weight. I have a few wedding to go to this year and I was tired of being so heavy. Of course I have a husband who is thin and I look horrible next to him in pictures. I was thin as a kid but as the years have gone by I just have seemed to gain a pound here and a pound there. I wear frumpy cloths to work and have had just a bad self-image. I also always thought that we are healthy eaters, and we are, but it was portion control and really looking at what I am eating and when. I started the Dukan diet and did not tell anyone until after about 7 pounds my husband really noticed. It’s been about 3 months now and I have lost a little over 15 pounds. I’m also off the Dukan diet a bit as I just could not do every other day only protein, could not look at another piece of grilled chicken. So I am doing mostly salads, veggies, chicken, fish and I am happy with that and I’m still losing weight, just very slowly which is good. I do miss fruit and that is one thing that I am following on the Dukan diet, not until I reach my goal, which I have not figured out what that is yet, will I start introducing wheat and fruit. If anyone has some thought on what I’m doing, let me know, would love to hear. I feel so much better
    TC

1. Kenlie Post author

You can’t eat fruit? Uh oh…I’d sink the first day…we’re all just doing what we believe is best for us though, and I’m sending skinny vibes your way! =)

1. Kenlie Post author

Yep Nina! It’s true…I can do it..you can do it..we can all do it with some effort and consistency!

8. Stephanie

So I wanted to let you know that I have a similar challenge going on with my daughters step mom. It is the War of the Scales. Her and I have never really gotten along very well in the past but have come to terms a bit in the present. We have both struggled and struggled with weight loss and decided to use each other as competition and it seems to be working! We are very competetive towards each other and doing this we both win!

My defining moment to lose weight was after my son was born in March I felt horrible! I felt bloated and my feet hurt and I just didn’t have any energy for my family. I was depressed. But I was all of this before I was pregnant too. So I lost half of the weight gained during pregnancy breast feeding which I had to stop and my weight loss stalled. So now I am not eating any processed foods or sugars until I feel that I can live without them and then I will incorperate them back into my life but will not make them my life! Does that make sense? Anyway, i have my own healthy blog going on plus the challenge with Trisha…

thanks for your story… 🙂 Your doing awesome! Your smile is amazing!!!

Thank you for the compliment Stephanie ::blush::

And you’re right! You’re both winners when you’re doing your best to be healthy. Keep it up!

1. Kenlie Post author

Thank you Sarah! I think a lot of people could use a good start or restart..I think I’ll have to talk about that in another post!

9. Amanda

My big “aha” moment was thanks to my elder son. I went back to work when my younger son was 18 months old. I was weighing in at 160, which wasn’t my best weight but wasn’t my worst either. I just figured I’d slim down like I had back in my early twenties (riiight… when I’d never lost my baby weight from #1 son, I have no idea why I thought this would work).

Anyway, over time I’d been noticing clothes weren’t fitting right (clearly the dryer shrank my jeans/ I was bloated/ the pants were cheap anyway) and the few times I got on the scale weren’t pleasant experiences (my, I must be retaining so much water!), but the knowledge of what was happening hadn’t clicked.

Then one day my boys and I were at a local supermarket. The boys, then ages 7 and 3 (now 12 and 8), both hopped on the scale and for some reason I have yet to determine I figured I’d hop on as well. My elder son read my weight out loud.

He is not a subtle child.

I started NutriSystem the next week (my mother, who’d noticed I’d put on a pound or forty had offered a month on her previously). I continued with that for two months, then went to calorie counting and pretty much kept on (the Hacker’s Diet, SparkPeople, and finally Weight Watchers) doing whatever I needed to do to keep my motivation up. I’m now 5.75 pounds from goal, finally, thanks to Weight Watchers and eyeballing my food intake like a hawk! It’s taken awhile, but it’s worked for me.

1. Kenlie Post author

Oh dear….out of the mouths of babes, right? Congrats to you for being so close to your goal..wow!

1. Kenlie Post author

I’m only sorry that you have such a story to share, but I’m amazed at your willingness and ability to change your life Heidi. Thank you so much for sharing…

10. kckk

For the record, I am only answering this in your comments…not on my blog. There are individuals who read my blog that I would prefer not see this answer (even tho she *may* see it here).

I have always struggled with my weight…in high school I *thought* I was overweight. Ha. I was thin as a rail compared to now! I put on weight with each of my pregnancies, the most with the last one. I have tried many different ways to lose, with minimal success. My aha moment was a few weeks ago, when I realized WHY I not only gained the weight, but why I have so much trouble losing it.

I separataed from my husband of (now) 20 years in Jan of this year, primarily because on a trip home to visit his family, he met up with the woman he had an affair with last year. I told him to stay, and filed for divorce in Feb. I have since come to realize that he has a personality disorder. Much research and participation in support groups has taught me much–a primary symptom of life with persons with this disorder is PTSD. Prolonged exposure to different types of abuse (not necessarily physical) has very detrimental effects on one’s health. I was at a support group I recently started attending…a nursing student is attending the meetings to learn, as she wants to focus on psych nursing, domestic violence in particular. She gave a few presentations on the physical effects of prolonged abuse….weight issues being one of them. Cortisol production, which is produced during stressful times, and has a negative effect on weight loss. 20 years with a narcissist…no wonder I can’t lose weight. My eating is not out of whack (although my soft drink consumption is)….and my exercise is increasing slowly.

Feel like I rambled, and didn’t really answer the question. I’ve been struggling with how to control the stress to reduce the cortisol, but not much luck there either.

Suggestions?

11. Jillian

Hey Kenz,
    Thanks again for all of your kind comments on my blog yesterday. I don’t have an email address for you, and I didn’t want to leave my thoughts on my blog since it’s under siege right now. However, I did want to say that I appreciate the encouragement so much, and I’m happy that I’ve finally “met” you as well! I was really glad that you asked this question today. I’ve been meaning to get into the “why” part of why I’ve started losing weight, and you gave me the perfect opportunity!

12. Pingback: Friend Makin’ Mondays: Defining Moments

13. Bella

I’m so sorry you had to go through something like that, but as you said, it is sometimes those types of humiliating experiences that give us the big wake up calls that we need.

And in terms of your weight loss journey – you absolutely need to do whatever it is you think is right for you. It’s YOUR journey – no one else’s.

14. Pingback: Holiday Long Weekend Link Roundup! | Trying To Tri