Healthy Eating weight loss Weight Watchers

Healthy Portions and Alternatives

It’s possible that I might be a little addicted to video blogging, but this time I’m asking YOU for answers. (I know…I do that a lot!) One of our family friends visited recently, and she shared her frustrations about not losing more than 10 pounds in the last two months. That’s great progress, but I know it’s all relative. And I definitely understand.

Melanie seems to go too light on calories throughout the day and too heavy at night so she asked me for suggestions, and I’m asking you. Check it out…

I know that so many of you will have incredible ideas for Mel because so many of us are facing the same challenges so let’s hear it. What would you suggest she eat at night that would keep her more satisfied than several servings of peanuts or almonds?

—–

And one more thing…I’m doing some fun things in the blogosphere lately, and I appreciate the support I always receive from you all so I’d like to invite you to see my first post at Sealed with a Kiss Fashion Boutique. I talked about my plans to blog for them last week, and my first post is up! Will you take a moment to check it out and make me feel loved? 🙂 If you do, thank you! And just so you know, you can find me there every Thursday talking about clothes and other fun things! <3

Miz
    July 22, 2011 at 6:11 am

the night thing is tough as IMO it’s hunger and mental.
    What I tend to do, especially in the summer, is make a protein shake a few hours ahead and freeze.

Then it’s like ice cream and slooow eating 🙂

July 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm

That’s a good idea Miz! I freeze yogurt regularly then eat it frozen…..it’s just like eating, um, frozen yogurt. 😉 lol

Ximena
    July 22, 2011 at 8:22 am

Hi Kenlie and Melanie, one good snack can be 1 small container of fat free cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries. Also here is a link where you can find a list of healthy 100 calories fueling or snacks. This is from the program I’m doing to loose weight and they will provide satisfaction and also they are healthy. Hope you enjoy it.
    Ximena

July 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I’m going to pass these ideas on to Mel…for sure…thanks X!

HeAther
    July 22, 2011 at 9:17 am

I eat 1/2 cup old fashion oatmeal mixed with fat free greek yogurt and a teaspoon of natural peanut butter on top (sometimes add a little fruit too) keeps me full all night and away from the kitchen!

July 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Wow..oatmeal and peanut butter sounds awesome…I’m going to try that..definitely!

Jan
    July 22, 2011 at 9:19 am

I’m like you and need volume so I find popcorn perfect for night time snacking.

July 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Sometimes I do popcorn because of volume…and sometimes I do frozen yogurt…like yogurt that I freeze..that takes a while to eat too, and it’s delicious!

NewMe
    July 22, 2011 at 9:33 am

First of all, Melanie must get it out of her head that faster is better. Five pounds a month is awesome and much healthier and sustainable in the long run.

In my opinion, her breakfast sounds great, but lunch is a bit skimpy. I think she needs some sort of protein with every meal. Salad without protein (chicken, some cheese, etc.) will just not keep you going and satisfied for very long.

She should have lots of veg and protein again at supper.

With regular servings of protein throughout the day, in addition to her veggies and some complex carbohydrates (oatmeal, multigrain breads, etc.), she will probably be less hungry in the evening. I still think a handful of almonds (rather than 3 or 4) is a great, healthy snack.

Also, does Melanie stay up late at night? Maybe she needs more sleep–another way to avoid over-snacking (even if it’s on good food).

Good luck, Melanie.

July 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Agreed! Slow and steady = best chances of actually keeping it off..

Cindy
      July 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I agree with NewMe. One to two pounds per week is the best way to lose. You are doing great, Melanie.

I read something from someone from France and they have a saying, “eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper”. I have found this to be very helpful, and it works. I’m on WW, and when I eat more power foods I am full longer and satisfied. If I eat a good breakfast, I can go longer until the next meal.

If I’m still hungry in the evening, I reach for almonds, popcorn, and low fat cheese, sometimes with an apple (which by the way is great for preventing heartburn, the apple that is).

Keep it up, Melanie. You’ll do great.

Tiffany
    July 22, 2011 at 10:16 am

I try to avoid snacking after dinner b/c it tends to lead to binges so I try to eat dinner a little later (usually after 6pm) so I can make it until bed time without snacking.

But if I am really hungry I will have some carrots with lf dip or hummus or a cheese stick or Babybell cheese wedge. A 100 calorie pack of popcorn would be a good idea b/c it gives you portion control instead of making a big bag and potentially eating it all.

July 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I forgot about the 100 calorie popcorn bags. GREAT advice!

Anna-Lisa
    July 22, 2011 at 11:37 am

First of all Congratulations Melanie! 10lbs is a great accomplishment. Sometimes when you are trying to lose weight you are so focused on the goal that you forget about the journey. But learning healthy habits takes time but is sooo essential to keep weight off.
    Just going by the video, it sounds like you are not getting enough calories during the day which then makes you hungrier in the evenings. I would experiment with adding a snack between lunch and dinner.
    This could be hummus with carrots, yogurt with fruit, boiled egg and a rice cake or even half a PB& J on whole wheat bread. This way you are not starving by the time dinner comes around and may only need a small snack after dinner.
    For after dinner snacks your best bet is to find out what type of snack you are craving and find a healthier version. For example, if you crave something crunchy=rice cake with PB, creamy= yogurt with fruit, salty=pretzels or if you like to keep your hands busy in front of the TV=shelled edamame or shelled pistachios are great snacks.
    Hope this helps and keep experimenting. Be well!

July 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I eat edamame regularly…I love it…and you’re right…it’s a great snack!

Kathie
    July 22, 2011 at 11:59 am

Apple slices with peanut butter is a favorite of mine. But lately, when I get a rumbling stomach, I just try to ignore it by telling myself I can eat in the morning. It’s like playing the game of Mercy or Uncle with yourself…which part of the body is going to win out, the mind or the mouth? 🙂

July 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Yep…I often remind myself that I can eat again tomorrow. That’s probably the single biggest self-talk message I send to myself..

Sarah
    July 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I personally like to snack on greek yogurt, protein bars, popcorn, fruit anything low in calorie. Things with high protein will fill you up, like protein bars fill me up and normally cut the hunger, tastes like a candy bar but is loaded with great proteins and is good for you!

July 22, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I do the same thing so I agree!

Amanda
    July 22, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I tend to go to either fruit or vegetables for my bulk, and I fill up on them earlier in the day (breakfast, lunch, snack, pre-workout snack, dinner). Then when I need my munchy-after-dinner treat I’m able to hold it down to one serving of what I’m really craving… which for me at the moment is 1/2 cup of Edy’s Slow Churned Yogurt Blends Caramel Praline Crunch (1/2 cup is one scoop). Yeah, it’s just one scoop, but I put it in a tiny bowl and eat it very, very slowly!

Maybe nibbling on the nuts would help? If you eat something slowly it can satisfy more fully, in my experience. Because sometimes, you just need what you need. Portion size is such a buggabear!

Patty (135 by 2012)
    July 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm

First, I am loving all the video blogs. 🙂
    I have been trying not to eat after dinner. If am hungry, I drink a glass of water to keep me from snacking, but fancy it up a bit so it feels like a treat. Fresh mint, fresh lemon, raspberries or other fruit. OR ice with frozen fruit in the middle.

Jessica S
    July 23, 2011 at 7:52 am

Congrats on the loss! One of the largest changes for my husband and I has been to not eat after 7pm as a rule. I understand that not everyone can adjust their schedule to this but the reason is it gives the body time to empty out and relax. Evening snacking easily can get out of control calorie wise. I needed to snack at night for a while when we started our life change/weight loss journey and my choices were deliberate. Preportioned, calorie counted packaging-NEVER a food free for all- that was too risky.
    Food wise you need to bump what you are eating through the day. Breakfast sounds good, are you getting in a nutritious morning snack? Lunch needs more to it. Vegetable salad is great but you are missing the protein that carries you.. What is ON that salad? I personally do not like chef salads.. but I love bites of grilled chicken breast with hot sauce! Add a half sandwich of lean meats on light bread to boost the meal… My husbands favorite snack is a half cup of fat free vanilla yogurt, a quarter cup of sugar free coolwhip and an ounce of peanut chopped on top.. Homemade parfait! (Thankfully he works from home so he has freedom to create his snacks and not rely on convenience foods or take out)

nikkianne
    July 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm

One of the things I do is have a small snack around 4:30 (like 1 oz of nuts) and a couple of glasses of water and eat a later supper, like 6:30 or 7:00. I often don’t need to snack during the night if I do this. Also I do most of my hydrating at night. I drink 4-6 tall glasses of water between 5-11 each night. This helps me stay full too.