Uncategorized

So Much Better

In my last post I said that I would reset and start making healthy decisions again immediately, and I did.  I am happy (and relieved) to say that my eating and workout habits were back to normal today. I ate several servings of fruits and veggies, two servings of lean protein along with whole grains, and I completed a heart-pumping, sweat inducing workout on the elliptical at the gym.  And while it can take more than one day of healthy choices to make up for one day of unhealthy choices, I’m a step closer to my ultimate goal – to be healthy.

It’s no surprise that I feel much better  after a full day of healthy eating than I felt after eating junk food all day.  I’ve spent the last two years making (mostly) good choices, and it’s still hard to admit that I made a conscious decision to eat unhealthy foods for an entire day.  But if you read my blog, you know that I own my decisions – the good ones and the bad ones.  And the last 24 hours of good ones will soon become 48 hours of good ones.

This journey, at least for me, is not about perfection.  It’s about changing my relationship with food and exercise and doing my best and not giving up.  I’m so much healthier than I was when I began this journey, and I’m going to do my best to make it another healthy day.

How do you bounce back after a less-than-stellar day of eating?

Steph
    July 7, 2011 at 12:15 am

I drink a lot of water hoping to flush all the bad stuff out.

Miz
    July 7, 2011 at 5:29 am

I remind myself I am never as far from my path as my very next choice.
    for me that really works.

July 7, 2011 at 11:19 am

OMG Miz,

I’ve heard you say that before, and I have a note to myself hanging on my wall that says “I’m only one choice away from living a healthy lifestyle.” It’s totally Miz inspired…You rock. And it works for me too. I love it.

Miss Felicity
    July 7, 2011 at 7:02 am

It seems for me what works best is short term goals. I try not to talk myself into eating “healthy” or “dieting” forever, but I look at everything in little increments. For instance, when I feel like making a healthier choice is hard I tell myself, its just right now, its just today. And surprisingly I do that every day and somehow trick myself LOL I also have planned alot of 14 day challenges for myself where I will cut out all the bad stuff or change my way of eating. 14 days of just water (and food) no soda, no juice, etc. Then 14 days of no carbs. Then although ill prob go back to carbs, next will be 14 days of no gluten. Im going to try a few different things. Sounds silly but I think itll be fun!!! Anyways – great job at “resetting” yourself and going back to whats good for you!!!

Amy
    July 7, 2011 at 10:01 am

I try very hard to take things one day at a time. I do better if I take each decision individually instead of thinking “I went off the wagon yesterday so I shouldn’t have all of my calories today” OR “I’ve been really good this week and I am entitled to splurge”.

Momma Hunt
    July 7, 2011 at 10:02 am

I just remind myself that everyday is a fresh start to make good decisions. I am not perfect, my eating is not perfect. I am just shooting for good enough. I am the type of person I am not perfect eating, exercise etc, I get really discouraged so I have been working really hard to be ok with being good enough. Glad to hear you are back in business

Shelley
    July 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

I bump up my exercise a bit more. It won’t burn off all the excess calories, but it makes me feel better, like I’m actively taking back control and being good to myself.

July 7, 2011 at 11:20 am

Feeling sweaty from a killer workout definitely helps me feel like I’m back on the right track too.

Jennifer
    July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

I purposefully think of healthy eating as the norm and repeatedly fill my mind with a feeling of relief when I eat nutritious food. Otherwise I will criticize myself into feeling so badly that I make additional bad food choices (crazy I know). Also, I put up little lists of tasks in the kitchen so when I go in there I see a little list and then use the timer and usually preparing veggies is one of the tasks. That way I can spend mindless time doing that instead of mindlessly eating. (An example task list: 7 min cleaning, 7 min food prep, 7 min put away). Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Michelle
    July 7, 2011 at 10:25 am

I drink a lot of water to flush out the impurities and help reduce bloat. I eat a salad for lunch or dinner. I eat a lot more fruits and veggies and more natural foods. It helps!

Nina Patricia
    July 7, 2011 at 10:37 am

See, I get frustrated with myself because I know that it is going to be a long journey for me. I’m not depriving myself but focus more on portion control, making good choices, etc. Then along comes someone I know doing one of those fast diets, they are down 35lbs in 6 weeks and I feel like a looser…then that feeling makes me want to eat more junk. Vicious cycle. This is why I like you, because you are real and show us when you do the good and the not so good choices, I feel like I can relate. So thank you for the honesty.

July 7, 2011 at 11:24 am

Nina, I often remind myself that I’m in this to change from the inside out. I have never been a yo-yo dieter, and I’m not going to start now. For me, this is about making healthy choices for my mind and body. People try to simplify it, but it’s far from simple! It takes time, patience and a good attitude, but it also takes the ability to admit our mistakes and start over.
      I’d rather start over after one day of poor choices than to start over after months of poor choices, you know? This is real life..not the Biggest Loser. Hang in there, and I will too.

Brooke
    July 7, 2011 at 11:20 am

Lets see…..I’ve started my day with greek yogurt (honey flavored), oatmeal w/ skim milk and brown sugar and I’ve slowly been snacking on some mixed fresh berries. I also bought a veggie tray and packed them up in baggies to eat on. I will do a salad for lunch. Ruffage. Probably Bird’s Eye Steamable Asian Medley with lean chicken and low sodium soy sauce for dinner.

July 7, 2011 at 11:26 am

What time should I be at your place for dinner? 😉 That sounds great! I think I’ll do something similar. Last night I had chicken, broccoli, squash, zucchini and onions over brown rice. Yum.

Tammy
    July 7, 2011 at 11:25 am

I wasn’t hungry for breakfast this morning (I usually eat about 6 am), but I was starting to feel hungry before I left for work. Instead of just jumping in the car planning to get something in our cafeteria, I scambled some southwestern Egg Beaters, put them in a container, threw in a pre-cooked turkey sausage patty, and brought breakfast with me! Success! I brought my lunch, too, and some healthy snacks (watermelon and strawberries!). I will also get some exercise today!

July 7, 2011 at 11:27 am

Tammy! This makes me very happy to hear. I know you’ve been right where I am, and I love it that you’re turning it around too. You rock my friend…….keep it up!

Roz
    July 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm

HI Kenlie, way to go getting back on track so quickly. You are an inspiration!!! Have a great day.

Bonnie
    July 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I just tell myself that it’s a new day…..no dwelling on the past.
    Be positive and you will see results!!!

Kris
    July 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Yesterday was my bad day – bad news from my doctor (no running for at least two weeks due to an injury), led to major anxiety (she could sense it even before I left the office, lol!), and led to a major binge. BUT… I was conscious and aware of what I was doing – no excuses, no self-loathing, and today is a new day filled with the opportunity for better choices. 🙂 So while yesterday included a cheeseburger, fries, and pie (!), today is all about yogurt and fruit, pasta with salad, veggies sticks, and going for a nice long walk, which I am allowed to do. 🙂

One day does not a lifestyle make…

July 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm

You’re so right! My lifestyle consists of the last several hundred days of mostly good eating..=)

And on the running, ugh….stay strong!

Used2b500Pounds
    July 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

So happy for you. I think after the holliday weekend there are a lot of us that require a refocus. So glad you are there.

“You are successful the moment you start moving toward a worthwhile goal.”
    — Charles Carlson

It feels good to be a success.

KCLAnderson (Karen)
    July 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Pretty much the same way you did… 🙂

I saw this somewhere recently and liked it:

“We don’t begin again, we start from where we are, each and every time.”

Kathie
    July 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I plan my meal for the day and even cook as much of it as possible the night before, so I just have to reach in and grab it and go. It’s just a stumbling block that you can definitely overcome.