Lifestyle

What Are You Watching?

My healthy living has been going really well this week. I’m so happy to report that I’ve eaten well again today, and I completed a 5k as well. I know that if I keep doing what I’m doing, I’ll see the results I want to see on the scale. I’m feeling good, and I’m just going to keep taking it one day at a time because that seems to work. And small steps turn into big results.

Instead of talking about weight-loss or exercise or healthy living, I feel like talking about TV. Thanks to the USA Network, I have a few favorite shows right now. My favorite is still White Collar, but I also love Suits and Necessary Roughness.  I like Burn Notice, Covert Affairs and Royal Pains too though I don’t always remember to watch those. Is anyone else watching these shows?

I don’t usually watch much TV, but this summer I’ve embraced these shows as well as Drop Dead Diva and a couple of shows on TLC – Say Yes to the Dress and Extreme Couponing.  If I watched all of these shows (and I usually do) I’d be devoting 8 hours per week to watching TV.  I typically watch these shows at the end of the night when I’m in bed, but it still seems like a lot of TV.

Is it normal to have so many favorite TV shows?  Either way, I think DVR is the greatest invention ever, and my habits aren’t likely to change.  I’m just wondering how much TV everyone else is watching.

Shane G.
    July 21, 2011 at 7:08 am

Kenz, it is funny I read this post right after the ONE night I spent watching tv in the last week! I actually don’t have any shows I watch seriously, or at least during the summer. I only have one that I HAVE to watch . I am a Big Bang Theory fan. But apart from that, I have gotten to the point I don’t really watch tv on a regular basis. It has been a heatwave around here, which is actually one reason I watched a movie last night. I was so bored I was debating about a run when it was still 101 outside. I thought better of it.

July 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Big Bang Theory is at the top of my list, but I haven’t seen the latest season..I definitely plan to find them on DVD at some point. 🙂

Lyndsay @ Thinspiration
    July 21, 2011 at 7:26 am

I’ve always been a big TV watcher. Or at least having it on in the background & sneaking glimpses while I get other stuff done. But I watch it at night in bed mostly these days too. Or, if I do find myself just sitting there watching it…I find other stuff to get done at the same time.

July 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I tend to multitask too, but I try not to during suits, white Collar and Necessary Roughness..

Marla
    July 21, 2011 at 7:43 am

I would have to say it’s a tie between getting a DVR and Lost that restarted my obsession with TV. For years I could care less what was on TV. I’d catch a show here or there, but I was never an avid watcher in my early adult days. Then Lost aired and you had to watch every episode to understand what was going on. I find myself drawn to similar shows that rope the watcher in than sitcoms. Sure I watch How I Met Your Mother and the Big Bang Theory, but you can miss an episode or two and still understand what is going on. Right now I’m currently taping True Blood and Falling Skies. Each fall I make a Google Calendar to map out my TV watching/recording. Obsessed? Just a little.

July 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Lol I used to Get obsessive about 24!

Jessica S
    July 21, 2011 at 8:51 am

I love the DVR option! Summer watching is really slim for me but during the rest of the year I can find lots to record. I have 3 young/school aged kids so I don’t watch much tv in the evening. DVR records it all for me and I can watch it back after bedtime ans during the day while I clean, fold laundry or cook dinner.. and it is much less actual time b/c I FF all commercials! lol

Patty (135by2012)
      July 21, 2011 at 10:33 am

I am the same way! I have a 19 month old, and we have to have Disney Junior or Rapunzel on continuous loop. Once she goes to bed, I am able to catch up on the DVR’s. During the regular season, it is full all the time. Summer is the time I catch up on the shows I just couldn’t follow during the year or some old shows I never got to watch in reruns. I am enjoying Freeks and Geeks right now.

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie
    July 21, 2011 at 9:44 am

I’m trying to kick the tv habit right now. I even got rid of our cable box and told them to cancel, but we still get it through the wall for free! I wish I still had the DVR because then I could watch at my leisure. I have a lot of favorite shows like The Office, 30 Rock, Hell’s Kitchen, Storage Wars. I’m trying to not get into any more shows so that it doesn’t consume more of my time, because I also really love to read!

July 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I read a lot too! 🙂

Amanda
    July 21, 2011 at 9:55 am

My can’t-miss shows are True Blood, Survivor, What Not to Wear, and Biggest Loser. I’ve watched other shows, but the time involved to get them watched seems to just… elude me. I liked Sanctuary on SyFy, but could never remember when it was on. Alphas also looks interesting, but it doesn’t come on until 10:00 and the likelihood of me being able to stay awake until 11:00 is 50/50. On the plus side, it’s OnDemand on my cable service so I might try to keep track of it that way.

Then there are the shows I’ll watch if they’re on… which are too numerous to mention:P I’m a big background noise person.

Doing It My Weigh
    July 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

I’m not a big television person, but this Summer I have been into it a bit more. I love Suits and that’s about it for me. Any show that has a legal angle, I’m all for! Suits is a win win for me!

July 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I’m in love with Harvey even though he’s a fictional character. 😉

Patty (135by2012)
    July 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

I watch far too much tv, but I love it. Just like Jessica above, with the baby now, I don’t get to watch my shows live, so the DVR’s (yes, I have two going) are always full and I need to catch up each night before bed. I am really wrapped up in the ABC Family shows lately, because I love me some good teen angst. I have given up following some of the “reality” shows, so that is an improvement. LOL!

July 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I had two in NY, but I never got caught up…lol

Kris
    July 21, 2011 at 11:12 am

I used to watch a ton of TV, but now it is more background noise while I blog, cook, clean, etc. I’m obsessed with Criminal Minds, and when running on my treadmill during the winter watch my DVD collection of The West Wing (Going to get all the Criminal Minds DVDs next).

Other than that, and the Biggest Loser, I don’t follow much. I’m loving the Tour de France right now though!

July 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I’ve been at Trek today being custom fitted, and now I’m in the mood to watch the tour de France! 🙂

sorryaboutyourweight
    July 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I watch Drop Dead Diva and Falling Skies on Sunday nights. Although they’re off the air for this season, I watch Dual Survival and Bones, as well. When it comes back in September, I’ll definitely watch Sons of Anarchy. Sometimes I watch other shows, like the ones you mentioned above the picture, but I don’t make a point to set aside time for them. I actually set up a recurring event on my Google calendar for shows that I know I want to watch.

July 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Wow..that’s an interesting habit. Others have mentioned calendars for TV too.

Kristen M.
    July 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I quit the TV habit when we started living on a boat; we would watch DVDs on the laptop and that was it. I live on shore again, but the TV is always playing DVDs, rarely ever on regular TV, and I don’t get cable.

Absolutely LOVE Burn Notice. I’m always a season behind, when things come out on DVD. The pilot for White Collar was on the Season 4’s Burn Notice DVD, so I saw that, and it looked good. I wish I knew why the stuff on USA was so all so entertaining, maybe they have just attained that level of smart-ass-ery that I crave in life. I haven’t seen Covert Affairs or Royal Pain, not even sure what they’re about, but one of these days when I’m bored I’ll probably check them out.

I also watch House, I just watch it on DVD. I used to tune in on TV to watch Biggest Loser, but when I found out more about what’s going on behind the scenes I decided to quit. Uncool.

July 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm

You lived on a boat?! I’d love to hear more about that!

Duveen
    July 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I don’t watch a lot of TV, especially during the summer. But there are several shows that I do like when it’s not re-run season … Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Blue Bloods, Law & Order SVU (although I really sad that Christopher Meloni is leaving the show), What Not To Wear, and Dancing With the Stars. I also loved Flash Forward and really sad when it wasn’t renewed. Oh, and I love DVR too – I almost never watch shows “real time.”

Natalie
    July 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I adore my DVR and can’t imagine watching television without it anymore! My husband and I love the new show Suits this season. It’s great to be able to throw a pile of clean clothes on my bed and watch my shows on my schedule while I fold them. But yes, my whole family is watching too much television…:(

Mich
    July 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I don’t own a tv and have not owned one for 5+ years. If I had one in my house I’d waste way too much time in front of it. I’ll watch an occasional Ironside (it’s an old show from the late 60s / early 70s) or Bones episode on Hulu. If there’s a show that interests me, I’ll get the dvds from the library eventually.

Tammy
    July 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

There is way too much TV at my house because hubby has to have it on, even if he isn’t watching it! We regularly watch Big Bang Theory, Hot in Cleveland, Pawn Stars, and American Pickers. I also watch What Not to Wear. This week I’ve been watching TV while on the treadmill, and I’m just trying to find things I haven’t seen before. The TV upstairs with the treadmill doesn’t have cable or a DVR. If I really make this walking a habit, I might have to buy a DVR for up there!

KCLAnderson (Karen)
    July 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Whispering:
    ::::::none:::::::: nada, zip, zilch

It’s been a long time and I think the main reason is because it feels like an assault on my senses. It was starting to make my anxiety worse.

Cynthia
    July 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm

We only get Netflix streaming for our TV time so we’re always a season behind whatever is currently out. I watch one tv episode a night and then try to fill the rest of my time with other things. Right now we watch Dr. Who a lot and I just got a disc of Season 1 Mad Men which I’m really enjoying. I also love True Blood!

Shelley
    July 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm

True Blood…it can be a bit much sometimes, but that guy who plays Alcide the werewolf makes it all worth it! Image search him if you get bored.

PlumPetals
    July 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm

The Style Network and E! are my guilty pleasures – just during a quick afternoon break. As for other TV programs, I tend to wait for most of them to come out on DVD so I’m a bit behind. Grey’s Anatomy, Mad Men, 30 Rock, and Criminal Minds are among my favs! Right now, though, I’m catching up on Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen Season 8 🙂

missmarisol
    July 22, 2011 at 1:02 am

I don’t watch a lot of tv during the summer. I used to be hooked on Big Brother but I stopped a few summers ago. Right now I am obsessed with True Blood and need to catch up to Drop Dead Diva. I also try to catch SYTYCD but forget when it’s on.

Is that Tiffany Thiessen in that picture? I adore her since Saved by the Bell. Gotta check out her new show.

Jen
    July 22, 2011 at 3:53 am

Between work and school I hardly ever get the time to sit down and watch tv but when I do it’s usually one marathon sitting where I try to catch up on everything… Recorded that I have to get through at the moment is Desperate Housewives, Supernatural, Big Bang Theory and Smallville (I’m in the UK so we’re probably an entire season behing y’all)…. I used to dip in and out of other things but I just don’t have the time anymore and reality tv (although I love it!) is just too time consuming!

nikkianne
    July 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I usually don’t watch a lot of tv. I always avoided it, especially in high school and university because I felt it was such a time suck and that there were better things I could do with my time.

However, I do go through phases where I watch A LOT of tv. I mostly watch reality shows or shows that are easy miss for a while and come back without being lost. Some of my faves are: anything CSI, Criminal Minds, Unsolved Mysteries, Hoarders, Ace of Cakes, most cooking shows, Say Yes to the Dress, What Not to Wear, Till Debt to Us Part, Survivor and Big Brother (I only started watching those 3-4 years ago). I watch the Biggest Loser now and then. There are a few Canadian weight loss shows that I love to watch: X-Weighted and Last 10 Pounds Boot Camp. Since my significant other is a carpenter we also watch home reno shows and real estate shows too.

We had Netflix for a while but I think it is nowhere near as good as it is in the States. What they list under their ‘new’ movies are mostly obscure movies that came out 3-4 years ago. There are a few popular tv series but not a lot.