Bicycle! Bicycle! Bicycle!

If you’re friends with me on Facebook and/or twitter then you probably know that I have a new bike.  I’ll share some details about that later, but right now I’m just so excited to share pics and talk about my first experience with it.  It’s 2012 Trek Lexa C WSD, and it rides like a dream!

My long time friend, Joe (a bicycle commuter in L.A.) put my bike together so we could ride to Slimmons.  I was so nervous to ride in traffic, but Joe made it easy.  And I was thrilled when he decided to join me for a workout with Richard!

Our bicyles are friends.....

On our way to Slimmons...

By the time we arrived at Slimmons, I was on cloud nine!  I faced my fears of riding in L.A. traffic, and it was so rewarding!  And I was surprised by how easy it was to get there.  Commuting by bike is so much faster than driving, and I can’t tell you how happy I was with myself for stepping out of my comfort zone again.

Joe and Me before our workout

Aunt Janice and Joe joined the workout and had a blast, and Barbara watched and took pictures with us after class.  They loved being there, and I loved that they were so close for a while.  I already miss them, as they left yesterday.

Aunt Janice, me, Richard, Barbara and Joe after our workout...

And, of course I had to take a solo picture with Richard before hopping on my bike again.  I love taking pictures with Richard…I’m quite sure I’ll always love it.  He’s just such an incredible person, and I feel so lucky!

On my way home via my bicycle...

I’m excited about adding another fun form of exercise to my regular routine.  I’ve missed having a bike and a car, and now I have both again.  I also feel as though I’ve regained control of my body and habits.   I’ve been struggling with cravings lately, but I’m winning the battle.  And I know that if I keep this up, the scale will yield good results Monday.  I’m a work in progress, and that’s okay.

Life is so good right now, and I’m thankful for the people and the opportunities in my life.  I have friends and family that support me and a body that is strong enough to change.  And I’m going to continue reminding myself of these things because I believe in myself now, and I believe that I will reach my goals.

I feel renewed today, and I’m looking forward to a weekend filled with exercise and health-minded friends.  What are your plans for the weekend?  Will you make healthy choices that you’re happy you made Monday?

Miz
    August 19, 2011 at 6:05 am

MY FAVE PART OF THIS POST (yes Im shouting) the words “life is so good right now”
    that made me SMILE from my heart.

August 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thank you Miz…It makes me feel really good too. =)

Anon in Ireland
    August 19, 2011 at 6:23 am

I’ve been following your blog for a while now – I actually followed you here a while ago from another blog and well now you’re my favourite! I’m so pleased you’re enjoying your new life – I love all the honesty and positivity in your recent updates.

Also, I liked your bike so I typed the details into google to see if it was available in Ireland and guess who’s website came up as the second hit on the page? Yep – All The Way. Famous!

P.S I started weightwatchers just over a week ago – 1st weigh in last night and i’m 2.5lbs down, so happy and now I can finally appreciate all your WW posts!

August 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

That is awesome! Way to go on the loss! =) That’s just fantastic!!

Gail @ Shrinking Sisters
    August 19, 2011 at 8:58 am

LOVELOVELOVE this post. Sounds like everything’s falling into place there.

(And what was Richard’s getup supposed to be yesterday?)

August 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

He was just dressed in black feathers. 🙂

Fat in Suburbia
    August 19, 2011 at 10:02 am

Great post! I think it’s so cool that you get to work out with Richard Simmons!

August 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I think it’s cool too..he’s the greatest!

Amanda
    August 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

Congrats on the new bike! I started bike commuting (and riding for fun too!) two years ago and absolutely love it – every day that I bike to work is a good day. I love seeing other people find joy in riding too 🙂

August 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I love how much easier it is to get around! I need a lock though so I can commute regularly…will get one in the next week or two..:)

Cathy
    August 19, 2011 at 10:15 am

Keep an eye and a good lock on that bike. It will disappear fast – even in a good neighborhood. Glad it’s working well and that you’re happy!

August 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I definitely will Cathy…:)

Foodie McBody
    August 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

That bike is a beauty! And I love the Richard/Slimmons pics. WHAT are those glasses?? Beyond awesome. So excited for you in your new life!!!!!!!!

August 19, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Thank you for being a part of it Foodie! <3 <3 <3

Tammy
    August 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Kenlie, I am so happy to hear things are going so well for you in CA. I love your new bike. I have such a fear of doing things or just being in public otherwise I might consider buying a new bike that could support my weight. You have fun for me. I love the pictures, the neighborhood you rode through looks inviting. You’re doing a great job!

August 20, 2011 at 1:37 am

Oh Tammy…Your comment breaks my heart. I was riding a bike when I was 75 pounds heavier than I am now. We should have fun regardless of what everyone else thinks…I know it’s hard, and some days it bothers me…but I deserve to enjoy life…and so do you!

Ryan Yewell
    August 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Very happy to see you stepping outside your comfort zone… You are creating momentum for yourself… So glad to hear it! It seems like one day you can even start another blog called “PicturesofRichardandI.com” 😉
    Ryan

August 20, 2011 at 1:37 am

PicturesofRichardSimmonsandMe.com……..I like it. =0)

Lisa M
    August 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm

OMG! looks like so much fun! That bike is a beauty!

August 20, 2011 at 1:37 am

Thanks! I love it!

9a
    August 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm

This is all so awesome! You are doing amazing!!!

August 20, 2011 at 1:38 am

Thanks..I feel great! =)

Amanda
    August 19, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I love your Richard pics. They are fantastic. This weekend I have a bridal shower that I would like to not go to, but I’m going to suck it up and be there (lots of family drama – my stepfamily think I’m not so fab and I’ve done nothing wrong – the bride is marrying my stepbrother). Hopefully, I will make good choices.

August 20, 2011 at 1:38 am

Just make good choices one choice at a time…It sounds like that will be taxing, but I hope you find some enjoyment in it too!

Scott Cutshall
    August 20, 2011 at 5:36 am

Awesomeness.

Keep going… the more you push, the push you get.

Best-

-Scott

August 21, 2011 at 6:24 am

Thanks Scott!

Jess
    August 20, 2011 at 5:48 am

Google “39 stone cyclist” to see what riding a bike can do. Happy cycling!

August 21, 2011 at 6:25 am

That was awesome…wow!

todd
    August 20, 2011 at 12:15 pm

made me smile. go you! you look great. keep pedaling!

August 21, 2011 at 6:25 am

Thanks Todd! I’m working on it. =)

Richard Edge
    August 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Kenlie,

A great post and a fantastic blog. As someone (-80lbs) who is also on a journey of wellness and weight loss (along with my wife who has lost 170 lbs.) we are encouraged by your story. You also illustrate clearly the need to have loving and supportive people around you to help you on the journey. Congratulations on your efforts thus far and keep up the good work.

PS Welcome to the cycling world. I saw Joe’s link to your blog on Google+.

August 21, 2011 at 6:26 am

Thank you Richard! And congrats on those losses! They’re life changing!

Mellisa
    August 21, 2011 at 11:14 am

I got a bike for each person in my family as a tool to spend more time together, but we are not all in the right age range to make it easy to ride together – but recently I made a new friend that bikes for exercise and I’m really excited about biking with her and on my own too!

Nina Patricia
    August 22, 2011 at 12:45 am

Gosh I feel so proud of you, you don’t talk about changes, you make them happen 🙂