Slimmons Friends

by Kenlie Tiggeman on August 26, 2011

I talk about Slimmons a lot because I’ve had so many incredible experiences there!   I have had some amazing workouts, and I’ve also met some incredible people.  And one of those people is Paul.  Aside from the fact that he’s seriously handsome, he also has an incredible story to share.  And last night he shared it with me so I’m sharing it with you.

Paul was one of the first people I noticed at Slimmons when I was there in May because he seriously knows his stuff!  He makes the entire workout look effortless which is awesome for me because I typically stand right behind him.

He began his journey that started at Slimmons in January.  He had reached a point in which he knew he wanted to change his body and habits so he went to Slimmons after a friend suggested it.  And he had so much fun that he just kept going back.  He also changed his food habits replacing snacks (often times quality chocolate) with homemade fruit salads and adding turkey to his personal menu. And he lost 25 pounds.

It’s obvious when you’re talking to Paul or watching him workout that he feels fantastic.  He’s a great example of someone who has changed his habits and his life.  And while I have a long way to go, it’s much more fun to exercise with others who have embraced healthy living.

Do you find motivation in people you meet at the gym?  Are you driven or in any way affected by what the people around you are doing when you’re working out?

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

MB August 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

My kickboxing instructor and a few of the ladies in my class inspire me to workout harder because they are so intense and give every workout everything they’ve got. I may never look the way they do, I may never kick as high or punch as hard but I’m getting better at keeping up with them in class.

Rock on!

Kenlie August 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I think kickboxing would be awesome. I’d love to try that at some point!

Jill August 26, 2011 at 8:11 am

I’m so happy for you for finding a group of like minded people. That’s often what it takes to stick with it. I’m a group fitness instructor and a lot of my gym’s membership is made up of ladies old enough to be my mom. I really admire and respect these women and aspire to be like them when I get to be their age, they’re strong and beautiful and healthy – wonderful role models. After my last class I had one participant comment that he doesn’t know how we (instructors) do it – continuing to smile and crack jokes. Truth is, we’re feeling the struggle too, but this is when my participants need encouragement the most and I find strength in their support!

Kenlie August 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I think a great instructor makes all the difference, and Richard is just the best. His classes are so much fun that it makes me want to try other group classes too. :)

Joan August 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

Beautiful picture, and I am inspired by you because I have watched you exercise and change your eating habits and I have seen results. That is incredible. And our family has noticed the change.
Yes,you are always happier when you have worked hard at giving your all to exercising even when you don’t want to. And then you go walk or do whatever exercise you feel will help you, when you get done your so much happier to have not given in the the food; but a better person for working out. Everyday you were here you say ” Lets go walk MOM or lets do this” but I would say no. It’s not because you have not shown me what can be done. I just find excuses. I am thrilled that you are working towards your dream. I love you MOM.

Kenlie August 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Oh Mom….I love you and miss you! When I’m there again, I’ll probably bother you about walking again. :)

OperaWife August 26, 2011 at 11:19 am

Kenlie, can I just say something? YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, every time you post one of these pictures, the first thing I notice is your AMAZING smile.

Okay so the first thing I noticed in this particular picture was the cute guy, I mean I’m ONLY HUMAN, but after that? I noticed how gorgeous and happy you look.

I’m definitely driven by people who are just starting out on their journeys to a healthier lifestyle. It reminds me how I felt when I first made the decision to change my habits and become a healthier, fitter version of myself. It’s really easy to get discouraged or complacent, so I always feel energized and refreshed when I see someone getting so excited about the start of their own journey and the first time they announce a noticeable weight loss/better overall feeling. :)

Kenlie August 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm

He’s really done an amazing job, and it seems so natural to him..It’s really neat. :)

Latina Barbi August 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

I love meeting new people at the gym..I let them know when I’ll be there and then I feel like I HAVE to go! btw, your waist looks great in that pic! Muah!

Kenlie August 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

That’s a great idea Barbi! :) And thank you…hehe

Jay Pres August 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Who is that hottie Paul?? Did you get his phone number? You guys look great!!

Kenlie August 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Haha He’s a Slimmons friend and a really nice person!

Tracy August 26, 2011 at 7:22 pm

YOU are inspiring – and I’m right there with OperaWife, your smile is radiant and you are truly beautiful.

Robyn August 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Hey – where did you get that cute top? and it must be REAL hard to stand behind that in class ;)

DizzyGirl August 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Kenlie you look fantastic- keep it up beautiful!!! xoxo

Dominique September 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

There is a woman in one of my Zumba classes that I’ve noticed always stares at herself in the mirror. I later found out that she has lost over 100 pounds. (I’d be staring at myself too!) She has now become one of my motivators and she isn’t even aware of it.