Uncategorized

Will Run for Cupcakes

It is no secret that I love cupcakes, but what you may not know is that my new neighborhood is home to some of my favorite cupcake shops.  In New York, I discovered Crumbs Bake Shop – where the oversized cupcakes are beautifully decorated and decadent!  And a few days ago, I realized that I’d be living close to one again.  (Don’t worry..I have a plan.)

And earlier this week, as I was walking around and checking things out, I discovered Sprinkles which is even closer to me than Crumbs.  (Uh oh…I know!)  So I’ve come up with a plan to keep myself in check.  First, I’m going to stay away most of the time which makes the most sense.  I mean, I talk about cupcakes…dream about them, but I rarely eat them.  But at certain times, I think it’s okay to indulge.  And on those days, I will force myself to run to the bakery and back then enjoy half of a cupcake.

This is what 497 calories looks like....

After a little research, I learned that a red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles is worth 497 calories!  Yikes!  But eating half (which will be totally satisfying) will only be about 250 calories.  I can live with that…sometimes.  The bakery isn’t far so I’ll run the long way which will allow me to burn a few hundred calories according to Nike+.  I’ll do that run in addition to my regular daily workout so I can enjoy a bit of yumminess without guilt.

I’m not saying that we should all run and eat cupcakes daily, but sometimes, for me, an extra workout is worth it.  Would you run for cupcakes? Wine?  Do you count calories/points even when you’re eating unhealthy foods?

Lyndsay @ Thinspiration
    August 10, 2011 at 12:16 am

YUMM!! Red Velvet is my FAVORITE!! And I’m TOTALLY willing to run/elliptical extra if it means I can indulge every now and then. Everyone needs a treat sometimes 🙂

August 10, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I love the elliptical…just saying..

Nina Patricia
    August 10, 2011 at 1:26 am

Tell me about it. I just finally came to the realization with my Dr. that I have an addiction to sweets {when you open your covers 4-5 times, search the fridge, looking for something sweet, you have a problem}. I have been trying to be good but my Mom-ster (another addict) is arriving this week, staying for a month and a half, and planning to go to Georgetown Cupcakes-better known as TLC’s DC Cupcakes-that are so close to us. I think I’m going to do like you and eat only half.

August 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yes…good idea. Sometimes I eat less than half. A bite or two is great then I remind myself that I can indulge again some other time, and I’m usually okay with having just a little.

Melissa (@MelGetsFit)
    August 10, 2011 at 3:15 am

I firmly believe that we all need to indulge from time to time … within reason. I find if I deprive myself completely of my favorite “treat” foods that I end up going on a binge. If I allow myself to have a small quantity from time to time, it keeps the cravings at bay and keeps me in control. All that said, there is NO way I could live between a Sprinkles and a Crumbs. It’s bad enough that my office is right next door to an Entenmann’s! 😆

August 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I don’t actually live between them, but they’re both very, very close…very close…

PlumPetals
    August 10, 2011 at 4:07 am

I’m so glad I don’t have any tempting restaurants or cafes near me — but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a sweet tooth. Right now my only strategy is to not to bring sweet foods into the house, or if I do, then they have to be of the ‘healthier’ variety – e.g. 80 calorie snack pack … the next challenge is to make sure I just eat one and not 3!
    It’s definitely important to give yourself a treat – I think your strategy of running to and from the sweet shop is a good one.
    Enjoy your treat 🙂

August 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Thanks..I like the idea too…just can’t do it often!

Jill
    August 10, 2011 at 5:32 am

long time reader, first time commenter – just had to say I LOVE your blog and think you’re just so brave and amazing for moving all the way across the country. can’t wait to read about all of your new adventures!

about those cupcakes…I think it’s always appropriate to make room in your daily food plan for high quality treats (cupcakes from a fabulous bakery definitely count as high quality). count the calories, work them off, and enjoy that cupcake! and please post pictures of the ones you try, for those of us that live in an area completely deprived of proper cupcakes 🙂

keep up the great work Kenlie, it’s been such a pleasure reading about your journey!

August 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thank you for the sweet comments Jill! And I’ll take pictures…definitely.

Miz
    August 10, 2011 at 5:44 am

HELL YES.
    I lost a dear friend quickly to ovarian cancer 2 years ago (2 months after diagnosis) and as trite as it is I frequently think about how glad she would be for all the stuff we did and ate that was “trashy” 🙂
    life is too too short.

August 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Life is short, isn’t it?

Jenny
    August 10, 2011 at 6:34 am

We walk a four mile loop and stop for NSA vanilla ice cream with bananas in the middle. 🙂 It’s the way we justify the ice cream!

August 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm

A four mile loop sounds good today…so does ice cream…;)

Dominique
    August 10, 2011 at 9:01 am

The blog says it all – Dom Will Run For Beer!

I think you have the right idea! Cheering you on 110%. 🙂

August 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm

LOL thanks Dom! =0)

Jessica
    August 10, 2011 at 9:56 am

I dream about cupcakes too 🙂 haha! I was a little nervous when TWO cupcake shops opened downtown, close to my work. But I have only had one cupcake since they both opened (6 months ago). And I walked to pick it up 🙂
    Good luck with your Run for Cupcakes plan! I think it is a great idea!

August 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hahaha Jessica…that’s so me! I think about them often, but I don’t really eat them often….

Leah
    August 10, 2011 at 10:32 am

Kenlie,
    Haven’t reached out in a long while, but wanted to let you know I still catch up on your blog and mentioned it to a friend the other day who said she logged on and really liked it too! Glad to read that you are trying out life in sunny Cal. Still working on my weight-loss challenges, always trying to make healthy choices but not taking the time to exercise the way I should and would like to. Keeping myself honest, and active. Love the video and photos. Keep it up!
    Leah from New York

Jodi
    August 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Kenz I actually have those shipped from new york to Louisiana special for myself and my family. Those are the best cupcakes in the world! Seriously I have never had a cupcake in my life like Crumbs! It cost 150 just to ship the suckers but its so worth it!

TC Meagher
    August 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Too funny I am not interested in sweets; I’m a pasta, salt kind of girl. Portion control and wine is my downfalls. Relearning how to eat and being satisfied with what I have has been my school work. Like we all say it’s a life style. My treat this morning was one med. Size hash brown with my 2 eggs.
    My sister wanted to to join up for a beginner triathlon, but I’ve been so bad this summer about working out that I said no. But I am looking for maybe some 5k by the end of the summer and this fall. So today I finally got my butt out and did a spin class at lunch time. Tomorrow I need to get out there and start running again 😉

teresa
    August 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I think that’s a great idea. It’s sort of like preparing for maintenance too. That’s what we have to do. Just stay conscious. If we eat some extra calories, do some extra exercise and burn it off. For me it’s eating in the unconscious moments that does all the damage.
    Enjoy your run and your treat!

Hilary @ The Big Weight
    August 10, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I have an AWFUL habit of quitting counting Points+ after I’ve eaten something indulgent. It’s stupid because on those rare occasions where I have went ahead and tracked the item, I find out that it’s not always as bad as I expected. Where as, if I don’t track the indulgence, I typically end up “calling it a day” and then eat mindlessly. I’m working on this though. Even as I type this we had a groom’s shower here at work and we had cake. AND I tracked that cake! My only problem is that I have an issue with not tracking perfectly – I just based the slice of cake off of some Etools research, but I don’t know how accurate it is and that kills me!

auntiekim
    August 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’m pretty much obsessed with cupcakes. It’s an illness. For my birthday in June I made my own using splenda. I used a regular sized muffin pan, but only filled them halfway. While I would never say there were as good as cupcakes made with sugar, I have to say these babies rocked! For real! I made pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (half splenda, half powdered sugar for the frosting). They were so flipping full of flavor. Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe. I split them into 3 batches and put 2 containers in the freezer. I didn’t even feel guilty when I ate one! But yes, I could easily follow your plan of running to get one.

Tammy
    August 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Having cupcakes that accessible to me would not be a good idea. Is it wrong that I got excited when Jodi wrote that she has them shipped. What? I could have cupcakes shipped? Oh Lord, help me with my willpower.

I like your idea of earning the cupcake by burning some calories along the way to them. Good luck eating half. I would need to cut the cupcake in half at the store and throw it away before running home.

Glad to hear your first days are going well. More adventures await, enjoy.

Jane
    August 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Cupcakes are too slippery a slope for me. Once I have half I will dream of the other half. Life is short? It sure is, so I will eat both halves – you know? But when I do not have any I don’t have to worry about the other half. It does not always stop me from wanting it it does help me not to start at all.

Jane~
    Keepingthepoundsoff.com

Bella
    August 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I think your plan is perfect! Totally balanced, especially since you’ll be getting in an extra workout when you run there. I just met with a therapist (my first time ever) to talk about food issues and he actually introduced the concept of “scheduled treats” to me. It’s exactly like what you’re saying here.

And I definitely count the calories of indulgences, otherwise I’m not being honest with myself and my food log.

Mike Badger (@Used2b500Pounds)
    August 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Can someone explain how to eat only half a cupcake? I can’t do it. It is one or none and like you said, 497 calories is not something I can live with. Unless I figure out how to reprogram myself to only eat half, I have to stear clear…… freek a cupcake sounds good right now

Eva
    August 11, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hi Kenlie,

I love your blog! I am new to blogging. I live in LA, too. I’m 30 and working on becoming a consistent runner and a healthier lady. If you ever want to run together (I like to run in Santa Monica because it is flat and the sea breeze is nice, and also in Pasadena, b/c i live near the Rose Bowl) let me know. I’s love to make some new workout buddies.

–eva

Emily
    August 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I have a Bondi band that says “Will run for cupcakes” so yes, I WOULD run for cupcakes, but I’m not sure I’ve done it quite so literally! 🙂