Exercise Weight Watchers

506 Steps Closer To My Goal

We have good days and bad days, and I’m thankful for the good days that I’ve been experiencing recently.  And I’m even more thankful for the experiences I’ve had with Mom lately – experiences I never thought we’d share – like our time at the gym.  Mom completed 40 minutes on the treadmill last night, and though she was tired, she admitted that she actually enjoyed her workout!  Going to the gym was a first for her last week, but she’s been fully committed to getting the most out of her 7-day pass.  And I’m amazed and thrilled and proud that she wants to continue going.  Working out is great, but working out with Mom has been unexpectedly incredible!

I’ve enjoyed being back at the gym too though I’m still strongly considering a move to Anytime Fitness.  I like the flexibility of working out anytime, and if you know me, you know I’m not opposed to working out after midnight at times.  My first midnight workout happened on Thanksgiving Day (evening) because I preferred to work off the pecan pie as opposed to skipping the pie.  And if I can be up at 3 am to shop, I can be up at midnight to workout.  (Can you tell the holidays are on my mind? hehe)

Last night at the gym I did weight training.  I worked my legs and arms, but I wanted to add some cardio too so guess where I headed…yep, the ladder!  I’m obsessed with that thing!  I love the fact that I can burn over 100 calories in 10 minutes so tonight I did 21 minutes.  My goal was to complete 300 steps, but early in my workout I decided I could safely push myself to 500 so I did – 506 to be exact.  And it felt great!  At one point, about 100 steps in, I was checking my heart rate when a super hot, healthy looking guy stopped running to ask if I was okay.  I explained that I was just letting my heart rest for a minute, and he smiled and said he seriously impressed.  I winked and said “Wait until I reach 500!”  But I still didn’t know that it would happen last night.  Reaching that goal made me feel like a rock star!  If you follow me on twitter, you may already know that “sometimes I feel like Rocky after a good workout, but last night, I felt like I could kick Rocky’s a$$!”

After one day of overeating processed foods on Saturday, my eating has been on point again too.  Last night for dinner, I ate a chicken wrap loaded with vegetables and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese.  I love wraps though I don’t eat them often so when I spotted Joseph’s Lavish bread (1 p+) at the supermarket, I knew what I was eating for dinner.  It was delicious, nutritious and satisfying so I’ll probably repeat last night’s dinner today.

I feel healthy and strong, and I’m looking forward to seeing the results of my efforts on the scale again Thursday.  Have I mentioned how great it is to have found a Weight Watchers meeting that I’m excited to attend again?  I honestly didn’t think I’d find that when I left New York, but I am so happy that I was wrong.  I’m still far from my goal, but I’m closer than I was yesterday.  And right now, that’s enough….

Used2b500Pounds
    September 21, 2011 at 1:10 am

I am with you. When it co es to working out, ai own the night. I rock my gym till it is closed. I too would love a 24 hour gym but I LOVE my gym too much and it’s only $10 a month with no contract. Hard 2 beat.

September 21, 2011 at 2:00 am

$10 a month and no contract?! Sounds like Planet Fitness which isn’t available here…I’m looking at $100 to join and $60 per month for a year (which is tough since I don’t know if I’ll be here for a year.) I’m going to see what Anytime Fitness has to offer first…but Wow…lucky Mike! 🙂

Bella
      September 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Do you have 24 Hour Fitness where you are? They have really decent rates, and you can use the gyms all over the country (the world). I did a pre-pay membership that got me 3 years for $300 at any club, “sport” level or below. (Meaning I can’t go to the ultra-fancy ones, but the sport-level all have pools and basketball courts, along with all the cardio/weight equipment and cycle/group exercise rooms). That way, even if you aren’t living in the same city/state next year, you could still have a club to use in your new area.

September 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm

That would be awesome, but there isn’t one around here..booo! I love the price though..wow! Thanks for letting me know!

PlumPetals
    September 21, 2011 at 3:10 am

I love how I feel after a good workout! I’m not a late night exerciser, but I’m an early morning one — in the spring I’m usually the first one there and have to turn on all the lights and some of the machines even!

Awesome work on the ladder! 🙂

September 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm

That’s awesome! I wish I was a morning exerciser, and once in a while I am…but I’ve never been the first person at the gym. I’ve been the last many, many times though. 🙂

kristen
    September 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

HI KENLIE!,
    I’m so happy just to send you a quick note! I wanted to say THANK YOU for your encouragement, honesty, and time you put in to run your blog. I started following you about 3 months ago and you have made a difference in my life. I’ve struggled with weight issues since high school (lost 60 lbs w WW when I was 17). Now after having my son 2 1/2 years ago I am back at the weight I really dont feel good about. I have a lot of joint pain and flat feet so it’s crucial that I drop the lbs. BUT!!! you have really inspired me in the time I’ve “known” you to get my butt in gear. I just tried a new approach of weighing myself every morning and it seems to keep me more focused throughout the day, as well as journaling which is so weird for me because I am busy running around all day but I find the time to do it. And I am pround to say that the scale finally went below 180 this morning. So, THANK YOU. YOu are doing awesome and I hope you are loving Californina.
    -Kristen

September 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hi Kristen,

You can absolutely change your life and your weight! And it’s so awesome to hear that you’re doing it! 🙂

I left California, but I’m enjoying the big easy……:)

Keep up the great work!

Laurie
    September 21, 2011 at 8:27 am

So, you did that ladder thing for 50 minutes? That is awesome!!

September 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

No, no…did 21 minutes on the ladder last night…I did weights before that though so I guess my workout was around 50 minutes total. I’m definitely feelin’ it today…I’m sore, but in a good way. 🙂

Joan
    September 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

Kenlie did great! I was there and I am proud of her for working so hard. The place was really great and the people there were amazing and sweet and very polite to older people like me. When they saw me they asked if I was alright. But the place is not affordable. Peak is a fanastic gym and I loved being there. I would join. But at $100.00 to join and 60.00 a month it is not affordable. But truly enjoyed being there; it was the first time in my life at age of 60 that I have been to the gym and it was amazing. You all keep up the good work. Anything worth having if worth working for. Joan

September 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Thanks Mom…you’re right. It IS expensive for a gym here…I paid more in NY, but everything costs more in NY. We’ll check out anytime fitness!

Love you! And I’m so proud of you too!

Brittany
    September 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm

way to go!!
    I just nominated you for the versatile blogger award! I always love reading your posts and everything you share!! Come over and accept your award! 🙂

Mrs. Bee
    Bee’s KinderGarden

September 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Thank you Brittany. =)

Marion
    September 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Hi! I hope your MOM continues. She has a nice support system in you.

🙂 Marion

September 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I hope she does too Marion. It’s really a lot of fun AND good for us both. 🙂

Nina Patricia
    September 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I get excited every time I see/read about your accomplishments. I feel as if you can do it so can I.

September 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Yep! You can do it too Nina! =)

Bella
    September 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I’m so happy to read a post like this! I’m actually feeling very much the same after a bad night of eating on Monday night. It’s so amazing that we can turn our moods around with just doing what we should be doing all along – eating well and exercising. 🙂

I’m more than a little impressed with that workout you did last night, missy! Very cool. I think you’re inspiring your mom (and lots of us who read your blog) to push past what we thought our limits were. I love how determined you (we) are, and I know it’s going to continue!

September 21, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Thank you sweet Bella!!! We can all push through our self-imposed limits, and it’s a lot of fun to recognize that…

Life Lesson # 102 : Using A Broken Scale Won’t Make You Skinnier
    September 22, 2011 at 12:05 am

[…] 1) The feelings of disappointment that I might be experiencing now seem to be minimized because of the strides I’m making right now.  I am pretty proud of myself lately (as you may have noticed if you read yesterday’s post.) […]