A Smarter Choice For Me

Going to the gym is one of my favorite parts of healthy living.  I love working out (most of the time) so it’s important to love where I’m going to do it.  And after trying Peak Performance, the newest local gym in town (which was amazing) I’ve decided that it’s much smarter to join Anytime Fitness, and here are my reasons…

• Anytime Fitness has gyms all over the US which means I can workout wherever I am, and that’s very important for someone who travels as much as I do.
  • I can workout 24 hours a day.  Again, that’s important for me because I’m often inspired to workout at midnight.  The new gym is only open until 10pm. (Really?)
  • Mom, who plans to join the gym I join as well, can workout at 4 am if she wants to (and most likely she will!)
  • It’s much more cost-effective to join Anytime Fitness because Mom and I can both workout there for less than I’d pay to workout alone at Peak.  And the added bonus right now is that there’s no fee to join whereas the fee at the new gym is $100 per person.
So while Anytime Fitness isn’t as fancy schmancy as the new gym, I’ve decided that it makes the most sense for me.  I’ll miss the new gym because all I still can’t stop thinking about the ladder.  Seriously…I have dreams about that ladder – not kidding.  And I’ll also miss the “Women Only” workout room because I’m much more comfortable doing weight training without a bunch of guys around.

The new gym has cool amenities like a smoothie bar that I’d rarely (if ever) utilize, but it also has a full schedule of classes including Zumba, Spin and more…and when you join, you get 6 personal training sessions so one could look at the joining fee as inexpensive training, but when I look at the numbers, the hours and the flexibility I’d have at Anytime Fitness, it clearly makes the most sense for me.  So why am I still considering the local gym? The ladder…that’s why…But is it really worth it to burn almost 200 calories in 10 minutes?! Maybe…

Mom will join me in working out at Anytime throughout the rest of the week, and I’m looking forward to hearing her feedback.  What do you think?  Do the benefits at your gym outweigh the cost? Or do you pay as little as possible?

Sierra
    September 27, 2011 at 2:00 am

I went with the much cheaper community rec center in my town and I have loved it! It’s WAY less crowded! I’m considering switching to Gold’s for 2 reasons: 1) Gold’s is open more hours than the rec center and 2) Gold’s has group classes included in the price. I don’t know though. A lot of meatheads go to Gold’s and it’s just…uncomfortable. :S

September 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Ha…I used to be bothered by the meat heads, but I don’t mind as much now. At one point though, I would have said ‘no way.’

Dee
    September 27, 2011 at 6:24 am

I don’t belong to a gym currently but I will in the near future once I move. My factors will be location – must be convenient; reasonable hours; price; and amenities. I want classess and options. Just the basics won’t be enough to motivate me to workout.

Shelley
    September 27, 2011 at 6:31 am

I do well with classes. I like going in there and knowing that I will get a great workout as long as I try hard and do what the instructor is doing. I don’t have to figure out my own thing. Plus, the classes are FUN! If you wanted to check out something like Zumba, though, there are plenty of places around that will offer it for $5 or less a class and you don’t have to be a gym member ( go to zumba.com and search for classes near you). Other places offer walk-in classes for spinning, etc. It might be something to consider at some point, if you wanted to mix it up as well as go to workout at Anytime.

Jen
    September 27, 2011 at 6:37 am

In the UK 24hr gyms are practically unheard of – My gyms opens at 6:30am and closes around 10pm on a weekday – with later opening hours and earlier finishes at the weekend… So I think the idea of 24hrs is awesome! : )
    I moved gyms back in May and went for the more expensive option but I was doing myself a favour really… My new gym is down the road from work so I’m working out 4/5 times a week instead of 2/3 and the class schedule is immense… I get bored of the gym easily but I LOVE classes! I know in a class I will be pushed and work way harder than if left to my own devices in the gym and now I’m able to do a class or two on a daily basis which I love! I’ve never heard you mention Spin on the blog before so not sure if you’ve ever done it but give it a go! I’m hooked! And it’s a serious calorie burner for when you can only spare an hour! : )

September 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I don’t think I’ve mentioned spin before because it’s new to me – in class form. I ride a road bike, and I push myself though I think I could push it to a new level in a spin class.

Tammy
    September 27, 2011 at 7:07 am

I don’t belong to a gym right now because I have a fitness center at work – on my floor, even! It was redone last year, so it is small but very nice. There are no classes, but I can take classes on a pay-as-you-go schedule in several places. We used to belong to the Y. We would take classes there, and my husband would use the pool (I’m not a swimmer). I used the treadmills there a couple of times, but never the weights because of the guys over there who were so serious. At least at work, I know the guys doing the heavy lifting, so it is less intimidating.

September 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm

If either gym had a pool, my decision would be made for me. I miss having a pool at the gym because I love to swim a mile after a hard workout. It’s extra calorie burn and so nice for my joints. Oh man…Now I want a pool too!

Amy
    September 27, 2011 at 7:42 am

I think it sounds like you made a good choice – the hours and the geography factor (and the cost!) are all really great benefits of Anytime Fitness. I can hear how much you love that ladder, though. 🙂 It made me think – how much does it cost to get a day pass at the other place? Could that be some kind of special treat or reward every once in awhile – to go there for a day and enjoy a class and the ladder and maybe a healthy smoothie or something like that? I don’t know if this is a crazy idea financially, but it was just a thought. 🙂

September 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm

It’s a nice idea, but financially it doesn’t make sense. it’s 10 dollars per day, and I’d want to go everyday. I make rockin’ smoothies at home…now if only I had a ladder….sigh…:)

Karen
    September 27, 2011 at 9:45 am

I belong to Anytime Fitness…I joined because it is so convenient…right across the street from my house. I love the fact that is is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I wish that there were some classes, but if I want to take a class I will go to our local community centre. If your Anytime Fitness is as friendly as mine…you are making the right decision.

Morgan
    September 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

I joined Anytime Fitness over a year ago, and the one near my home at the time was awesome – there was always a machine open in the early morning or late at night when I went, it was rarely crowded, and they had a few free classes. My favorite was a cross training class that really challenged me, and there were only 4 of us in there so the teacher ended up giving us a lot of free training too. But then I moved, and the Anytime Fitness gyms near me are not nearly as good – they aren’t as clean, they charge for their classes, etc. So I would say that if you like the one near you, and you won’t be moving before your contract is up, then go for it. It is super convenient and way cheaper than your average gym. But know that while they all carry the name, they are a franchise and are not all up to the same standards, which I feel they should be. Good luck with whatever gym you choose!

September 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Interesting points Morgan…I thought I could workout regardless of location so I’ll double check today since that’s a key factor for me. Thank you!

Krista
    September 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

I have, over the last few years, belonged to 24 hour fitness and Anytime fitness. By far I loved the 24 hour fitness much better. I believe if you are self motovated then Anytime is a good choice but most of the time I am not. Where I live now, 24 is not avalible to me but here is what is. Its called the Rush Fitness 24/7. I love it. It is built around the same concept of 24 hour. To me all of it is important(equipment, classes, pool) but what I first want to see are the showers. Something about going through a hard workout and coming out refreshed, clean and ready for the rest of my day makes a big difference. My choice is to go for the extras. I figure if your putting out the effort, its worth all the extras.
    I love your blog Kenlie and now have all my friends and family reading and cheering you on

Joshua
    September 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

I’ve been going back and forth with a similar kind of question. There is an Anytime Fitness in my (small) town. But, the city’s Parks & Rec department has a fitness center, too (The 3C’s). I think the costs are about the same – but the 3C’s has a walking track, basketball court, lots and lots of weight training equipment. And, my kids can go to the library that’s in the same building. But the hours stink.

Of course, none of this matters right now, as we don’t have a membership to either…but I’m going to change that!!!

Mike Badger (@Used2b500Pounds)
    September 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

I would kill to have my gym be open “Anytime”. I know working out in the morning is better for you … blah … blah… blah. Forget all that noise I own the nights! Don’t know why but I can get in a better workout then.

Hope you enjoy the new gym.

J
    September 27, 2011 at 11:12 am

Where I live, there are three gyms nearby. Anytime is one of them. However, I LURVE LA Fitness. The locker room alone is amazing! They have a pool, sauna and hot tub. And I enjoy being there. But it’s also a 40 mile round trip for me. So that’s the only reason I haven’t signed back up. I like Anytime, but they just don’t “do it” for me.

Dominique
    September 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I left LA Fitness to join Planet Fitness, which is very similar to how you describe Anytime Fitness. While I miss the opportunity of taking classes like spinning, Zumba, etc., I felt that the clientele and staff at LA Fitness was a bit too pretentious for me. I had one of the most upsetting and embarrassing situations I have ever experienced when trying to cash in on my “free personal fitness assessments.” I’m happy in my decision to go to Planet Fitness because people are there to do the same thing I am – to exercise. They aren’t preening around in their skimpy workout outfits, hanging out at the juice bar or grunting at the weight machines. I hope you will be happy in your decision too!

Denise
    September 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm

My decision was based on a combination of things. It really came down to 2 items though: distance and pool. That is why I ended up signing up at the Y. It is the closest gym to my house which is great and I have access to a pool. I could have gone cheaper with SNAP fitness but then cheap is only good if you use it. I am using the Y way more than I think I would have used SNAP so this makes my per workout cost much less. Plus I was able to get my roommate to join and we were given the family rate which lowers both our costs.

megan
    September 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

i hear there is a pay per day if you are interested in accessing the gym for the ladder.

what i love about PEAK is the atmosphere and the classes. I love the motivation in the group fitness and nothing pushes me more than someone next to me working and seeing the changes together. I love the racquetball court also. it’s wonderful cardio and so is Body attack. the Jacob’s ladder is amazing. (i agree) and so is the track.

I’ve never considered or even thought of Anytime, so I don’t really know what the comparatives are but I hope you enjoy your decision now matter which you decide.

Nina
    September 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I think that how conveniently located and what open hours a gym has is the biggest factor of success … over how “nice” a gym is. (Not to be confused with clean – which is a must!) The one I go to now is on the smaller side but it is literally a block ½ away from my home. Though I totally lust after having an Arch Trainer to use … and the ladder thingy is very cool. (It also looks modified from the one shown on BL – with the metal hand rails instead of just the ladder?) It’s great that you tried different ones and you can be confident that you are at the right place.

Tim
    September 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I prefer gyms where I feel most comfortable. They can be pretty intimidating places sometimes. I’ve tried various gyms in my city using free passes but once the novelty wore off when trying the new machines, I ended up using the same machines which are at the gym i’m a paid member of.

TC
    September 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Wow, so many good responses. I go to the YMCA, it’s right across the street from my job and I go early in the AM. My motivation? I have a very long commute and the traffic is just Horrible, so it forces me to get up early and get going. After Labor Day I went in without getting up early and it took me 2 hours to get into work. But anyway, the YMCA is great, the people are so nice there and the classes are great. Spin class alone is worth it. I also need motivation so that is where the classes come in and the diversity of them is also nice. At lunch time I can go over and take a spin class or if I am sore and need some stretching I will take a Yoga class. I understand the $ factor and it must be a hard decision, but if you base it on what your needs are and where your motivation is coming from you will make the right decision no matter what. Good luck
    TC

Bella
    September 27, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Personally, I would go with the Peak gym – even though it’s not open as late, it sound like their amenities are really what you’re after. That $100 for 6 training sessions is so worth it! I love taking classes and having a nice environment to workout in, so I think it’s worth the extra money. How often do you think you’d go after 10pm anyway? If it’s not that often, Peak seems like the better choice. Plus, maybe paying more would be a good motivator for the times when you’re not in the mood to go to the gym? You are wort the extra money, if you can afford it. When you travel, don’t most of the hotels have gyms in them? So it wouldn’t really matter that Peak doesn’t have a location there. Or, you can do a “trial membership” at a local gym while you’re traveling to get your gym time in.

No matter what you choose, I think it’s fantastic that you’re putting such an emphasis on working out.

Bella
      September 27, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Sorry for the typos – soundS and wortH.

Steelers6
    September 28, 2011 at 9:52 am

Haha, while reading your post I was thinking I had to reply; “but does the gym you want have a LADDER?” and then you mentioned it. 🙂 I guess your readers know you.

I have heard some places can be convinced to waive or lower the contract fee. If it actually is a deciding factor, then it might be worth mentioning to Peak to see if they budge. I don’t think you mentioned anything about how ‘locked in’ you are either. That might be something to consider, especially since you may be moving again.

I know you do often work out late; does the route to and neighborhoood of Anytime seem quite safe?
    Chrissy

Cathy
    September 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

Referencing Chrissy’s above post: you might mention to the folks at Peak that you have this amazing blog with many readers…perhaps direct them to the posts and pics regarding the ladder and other cool stuff…then see if you can negotiate your cost! Do they have a family option for you and Mom? You can still do your Shred stuff at home later at night. Just a thought.

We had a membership at Lifetime Fitness that we rarely used. Gave it up to join Fitness 19, a no-frills place. Never went there at all. So we reactivated Lifetime. Used it all summer – not for working out, I’m afraid, but because they have a lovely outdoor pool as well as indoor! For the price of a gym membership, we got a pool membership too!

Good luck with your decision,

Cathy

KLA
    September 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm

You have to join the gym that works for you, and you are the only one who can figure that out! (And you have…)

I quit the gym a long time ago. When I was getting in shape for my wedding, I found a trainer that came up with a strength and cardio plan for me. He came over once a month for a training session and updated my workout plans. I bought these great stackable weights that take up no room in my house and a stability ball (acts like a bench) for strength training. For cardio, I used my bike with a bike trainer (for indoor use) and ran outside with my heart rate monitor. I also sign up for running races and triathlons to keep the motivation up.

Now that I have a couple of kids and there isn’t as much time, I’m walking between office and the train station (25 minutes each way) and I joined the local masters swim team for kick ass workout once a week. Now that the weather is cooling off, I’m hoping to get back into running as well.

Jill
    September 29, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Finding the “right” gym can be really hard! Now let’s face it, money is often a factor, but it definitely isn’t the only one. You need to be comfortable where you are and it needs to have what you need. I’m a fitness instructor and have taught at a few different places and what I’ve learned is that for me, it’s really the PEOPLE at the gym that make a difference for me. I’m currently at the YWCA in my city and love it there (even though teaching anywhere else I’d make more money!) Ultimately you have to do what’s right for you. 🙂