FMM: Creating Change

It’s Monday again which means it’s time for FMM, and this week’s question is simple though it may require a bit of thought (and homework.)  No…I won’t be quizzing you later, but I want you to think about something that has been on my mind recently.  This month marks the beginning of the Lose For Good Campaign in which Weight Watchers will donate up to one million dollars toward the fight against hunger.  And while looking back at the post I wrote about it last year makes me sad in some ways, I’m ready to do my part to combat hunger.  And I’m going to call on you to help me do it.

My plan is to donate the amount of weight I’ve lost in food over the next several weeks which seems to have become my yearly tradition.   And while it will be harder this year, I think it’s just as important now as it’s ever been.  My weight hasn’t changed much, but over 100 pounds of food will still be quite heavy for me!  I guess it’s time to do the math so I can figure out the exact number for my donation.   We’ll see how much I can fit in the trunk of my Prius in the coming weeks too!

So in the spirit of Lose For Good, instead of the usual post about ourselves this week, I’d like to ask you to give to someone who needs it.  Most of us don’t have to worry about our next meal, but there are plenty of people in this nation and around the world that worry about it everyday.  And while I don’t have an extra million dollars to spare, I do have canned food and other nonperishable item that I could donate to a local food bank or church or to someone in need.  (Finding a place to donate is as simple as doing a google search!) I haven’t always put myself before others.  In fact, I rarely do, but this is my chance to change that.  And I’m asking you to be a part of that change too.  It’s not about whether you count points or calories or none of the above.  And there’s no prize or reward for participating…This time, it’s just about people.

FMM: Creating Change

Here are the details…(I’m making this up as I go so feel free to make suggestions.)  To my wonderful friends and lovely FMM regulars, I’m asking that you write a quick post today about your plans to donate food to a local food bank or church or charitable organization in your area during the month of September. (You can even copy this paragraph for your own post if you want to.)  Maybe you plan to donate 10 cans of beans or 5 packs of spaghetti or one jar of peanut butter.  Or maybe you’ll make a cash donation or volunteer.  You don’t have to get fancy or expensive.  Just give as much as you can, and be proud of yourself for making a difference.   Then, like usual, post a link here about your plans to donate for change.  And if someone leaves a comment on your blog about their plans to donate food or money to the hungry, leave another comment here at www.alltheweigh.com letting me know.  And when you’ve gathered your donation, you can e-mail a photo of yourself and your goods so you can be featured on my blog.

Here’s a look at last year’s photo of my donation at my old Weight Watchers meeting in New York.   It’s hard to face the fact that I look practically the same (okay, so my hair looked better there.  I miss you Momotaro!)  But I can’t change the past.  All I can do is continue trying to move forward, and I believe my new meeting will help me accomplish that!)   And one last thing…If you squint, you can see me in a photo with my leader and receptionist from the year before.  I donated 47 pounds of food because at that point, you guessed it…I had lost 47 pounds.

This is really important to me.  No one asked me to do it, but it’s on my heart so I’m asking you.  I know that those of you reading this now have hearts of gold.  And I know that because of the encouragement and support you show me everyday.  So let’s take a little time to support and encourage folks who need it more than I do.  We may not be able to change the entire world, but we can make the day better for someone in need.  So what do you think?  Who’s with me?

**Don’t forget to come back and share your link, and have a happy Monday!**

Nina Patricia
    September 19, 2011 at 1:16 am

I love this tradition, and although we are facing some major difficulties right now, I would do what I can to make sure every bit counts 🙂
    I’ll link my post later.

September 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Bless you Nina! I know things are so rough for so many! I wish you so much prosperity!

auntiekim
    September 19, 2011 at 5:20 am

Kenlie, I’ve been on vaca the past couple of weeks and have missed your blog! I can’t wait to get home to catch up with everyone’s blogs.

This is my favorite topic yet. Bravo!! This is the kind of stuff that makes me passionate. I’ll post about it when I get home.

Fortyisthenewfabulous.blogspot.com (I think LOL)

September 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I’m happy to hear it Kim! And welcome home! 🙂

PlumPetals
    September 19, 2011 at 6:54 am

Charity is very, very important to me. Being from Bangladesh (but working in Kuwait) has provided me with so many opportunities to donate to charity because most of the people in the country are so poor.

I don’t have a new post/link to share, but here’s one of my posts from a few years ago. My family and I still participate in all the charities above. Although the cyclone was many years ago, the country is frequently affected by many natural disasters – including an earthquake just yesterday.

This is a link to the entry in my other general blog:

Tammy
    September 19, 2011 at 7:23 am

I don’t have a blog post about it, but my company just finished our annual campaign for our local food bank. I made a cash donation (the food bank has more buying power than I do, so it went farther than a few cans of food), which was matched in full by my company! Also, last year, our food bank didn’t think they would have any turkeys for Thanksgiving, so I wrote a check for turkeys and had it matched by my company. So, while I might not do anything today, I’m a giver!!!!

Marion@AffectionforFitness
    September 19, 2011 at 8:24 am

Hi Kenlie! You are very generous! We give generously to the food drives through our kids at school and for Boy Scouts.

🙂 Marion

Angela
    September 19, 2011 at 8:47 am

Just as I did last year, I’m going to donate a pound of food to a local family (found through my job) for every pound I lose during the 7 week period. Last year I lost 13.something so I rounded up and donated 14lbs of food. In addition to that I will be contributing a non perishable food item for each pound for half the amount I lose to the collection at my Weight Watchers meeting. Also just now reading your post gave me the idea of volunteering at a kitchen that serves lunch to the needy. I may try doing that every Monday and Friday for the rest of September and through October as well.

September 20, 2011 at 12:39 am

I might adjust to make that my personal goal for the year too. I like it a lot, and that’s less overwhelming than carrying in 100 pounds of food..and next year, I hope it’s closer to 200 which would be insane!

I like this plan…I’m going to think about it..

Flabby McGee
    September 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

This is really cool. As someone on the other end of the spectrum, I think this is a great idea. I spent many years as a single mother, I was also homeless for part of my pregnancy – so I’ve been to many a food shelter. It makes a difference – believe me. I can’t find the words to describe how I felt when I almost couldn’t feed my son – then I’d go to a food pantry and get excited b/c someone donated something fun and yummy. It’s weird, but there you have it. I would love to do this if I could. My county has just been through the worst flooding I have ever seen here. 2 weeks later, hundreds are without power and water. Garbage lines the streets, homes have been destroyed and jobs have been lost. My husbands job is on hold until they rebuild. Which could take weeks more. People like you are what makes things better for people like us. Yes, one person can make a difference.

September 20, 2011 at 12:40 am

I’m so sorry that you’re going through so much…and that you’ve endured so much in the past too….It breaks my heart..I know you’re strong (it’s obvious) though I hope you get a break from having to be that way soon.

Kris
    September 19, 2011 at 10:47 am

This is such an important topic!

I missed last year’s annual charity campaign due to illness, so I’m committing to make some of it up this year. As well, my darling hubby already committed to his annual amount (due at the end of September) which his company matches 125%!

Thanks for the kick in the behind Kenlie. 🙂

Lisa
    September 19, 2011 at 10:55 am

I realized we don’t donate food very often, but we do donate clothes & househould goods pretty regularly to the Vietnam Veterans and I’ve taken 2 huge baskets of old towels & sheets to the Humane Society. And because of my blood type, I’m pretty popular with the Red Cross, too.

kourtney
    September 19, 2011 at 11:21 am

great idea!! the month of September, our church & preschool are having a Can Goodness canned food drive. all donations are going to our church food pantry, we help many local people with food each week. so i’ll be donating some canned goods to our pantry. thanks for reminding us to not always think of ourselves, but others that are less fortunate.

teresa
    September 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

This is a great idea and a reminder to me to do this with my daughter. It’s the perfect time for her to really start understanding this concept.
    And I have to say that the fact that you look maybe the same in a photo from last year…. be proud of that too. Maintaining a huge weight loss for a year is a miracle! So many people don’t do that. Actually, at 47 pounds lost, you did lose more, didn’t you?
    And that is a great photo of you, by the way. Definitely keep that outfit!
    I’m not sure if I have the wherewithall to post about it, but we’re doing it thanks to your post.

September 20, 2011 at 12:45 am

I had lost 47 the first year…and a bit over 100 the second year..I’m about the same size as I was last year, but yes..it does feel like an accomplishment too. I’m just so happy to see a downward trend again.

Chubby McGee
    September 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Kenlie, I really want to thank you for doing something like this. My family and I have had it pretty rough since baby #2 (Coc0) unexpectedly came along last February. We’ve had to scrape by just to have enough food to feed both our little guys.

As a result of our experience, we’ve become huge advocates about donating food to local food banks/pantries. We give what we can, when we can. It’s so important for people to understand that there may be kids, babies, whole families, right up the street (or even right next door) who are having trouble paying mortgages/rent and being able to afford food for all the bellies in the household. We’re very fortunate to have helpful, supportive families who can help us out when it gets REAL bad, but there are sooooooooooo many Americans without such great support systems and they, most likely, have to turn to food pantries.

This warms my heart so much, Kenlie! Thank you for spreading the word!!! And, take it from me, you don’t have to have a lot to give a lot. Anything you can give helps some little boy or girl go to bed with a full tummy.

September 20, 2011 at 12:47 am

I’m so happy to hear that you have such a great support system though I hope you prosper greatly! And you’re right…small actions can yield big results. It’s hard to remember that sometimes, but it’s true.

Jenn
    September 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Wow Kenlie! This is something I always say I am going to do. I walk past the food pantry donation box every time I enter/leave the grocery store. It really isn’t that hard to purchase a few extra items to put in the box. I always say I am going to but forget by the time I am done with my shopping. (I’ve remembered a few times, but not as many as I would like – should make it a habit.)

At Thanksgiving, the local middle school does a can drive. We always clear out our cabinets at that time. I also do a lot of clothing, blankets, and coat donations to various charities throughout the year.

Chrystal
    September 19, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Great idea! I am going to do the exact same.

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie
    September 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm

This is awesome Kenlie! I’m glad I’m already apart of Weight Watchers, so it makes it extremely easy for me to donate and make a difference!

Bella
    September 19, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Great idea!! As soon as I get the food gathered, I’ll be sure to send you an email.

dad
    September 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm

There is a prize when you give. It is the satisfaction that comes from lending a helping hand to someone in need.

Chris
    September 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm

For those that don`t know, September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day, So…

This moon I plan on donatin’ food durin’ our city wide scavenger hunt. Me buxom beauty organized th’ event an’ included in th’ list o’ things t’ collect ten items per team that we could then turn around an’ donate.

Ye can read a bit more about ‘t an’ other food donatin’ plans here:

Great idee t’ be havin’ sea dogs an’ land lubbers share how they help ou’ in the’r communities.
    Ya scurvy cur!

Carina
    September 20, 2011 at 8:58 am

I’ll have to email you a pic when I’m ready to donate!

Jodi in Canada
    September 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

Kenzie,

I had to come back and find this post because I wanted to share something with you that I do. A lot of people out there are not in a financial position to be able to donate to food banks/groups. I regularly donate as much as I can but there are times when I just can’t swing it (being a single mom and all) so I found this site through the world food programme. It’s called freerice. it sounds wierd but there are little word games you can play online and differnet things you can do and they donate 10 grains of rice for every correct answer you get. It is a LEGIT site, they are amazing, I have done all kinds of research and even though 10 grains is not a lot I will sit there and play for hours at work just killing time. It’s great and I think that if we all even answered 10 or 20 questions a day we could make a HUGE difference…. The address is http://www.freerice.com

OH YEAH! and I get news letters and updates from the world food programme to let me know where all my donations are going…. it’s amazing and it lets me help when maybe financially I cannot. This should NOT take the place of anyones current donations but it is a great top up 🙂