Uncategorized Weigh-In weight loss

Four Letter Words

I know that one of the primary focuses of my blog is weight-loss, but I am not on a “diet.”  And I have some big problems with that word and its connotation in today’s society. As someone who is on a journey to lose over 200 pounds, I hear it often, and  when someone  references my “dieting” I cringe because it’s so squarely against everything I do.  I am not on a diet!  I changed the way I eat, and I exercise.

Last night I weighed in at my weekly Weight Watchers meeting, and I lost 3.2 pounds which brought my total to 105.6 pounds lost.  Mom lost 2.8 pounds bringing her total to more than 11 pounds for the last two weeks.  And while I think we always wish for more, we’re both happy to be moving in the right direction.  I love being back on the downward trend!  That said, I’m not doing it by “dieting”  nor do I plan to start.

I've lost 14 since joining this meeting and 105.6 since joining Weight Watchers....

I wrote about my feelings on the word “diet” early this year, and I think it’s time to post them again…

I cannot stand the word “diet.”  I’d rather hear words starting with the letter “F” than to be asked whether or not I can eat this or that “on my diet.”  Going on a diet implies, at least to me, that I’m doing something temporary, and that’s just not true.  It cannot be true.

My friend, Hillary, said “the original definition of the word was the foods we ate. People have turned it into the ones we don’t. Everyone is “on a diet” if they eat food so let’s show people that they are using it incorrectly.”  You can find Hillary’s blog at ByHillary.com.   She made a great point.  We are all on diets, but in weight-loss it means something so different now.

Few people would argue with me when I say that permanent change can be found when we change our habits in ways that we can sustain for a lifetime, right?   I’m still testing this theory, but I believe it’s true.  Changing my habits permanently is the best shot I have at losing the remainder of my excess weight and keeping it off.

But here’s the thing…if I want to eat cake, I decide if it’s worth the calories/points/whatever at that moment.  I make the choice in the moment.  You’ll never hear me say “I don’t eat cake” or “I don’t eat fried foods.”  Of course I eat cake.  I love it. ;)   I love fried foods too though I don’t eat them regularly like I did prior to starting this journey.

The one thing that I have completely eliminated from my diet (you know, my food intake) is soft drinks.  I quit drinking them cold turkey in 2009 because they controlled me, and that needed to change.  But I always planned on working them back into my life.  When I felt strong enough to drink one instead of 3 or 4,  I just didn’t want them anymore.  If I really wanted a soft drink today, I’d track it and drink it.

My point is simply that nothing is off-limits, and this is not a new point.  I hear it all the time.  I eat what I want to eat, but I’m more responsible with when and how much.  And it has worked well for me so far…

Nikki
    September 23, 2011 at 8:07 am

Kenlie, I’ve been reading your blog for a while but I never felt the desire to comment until now. First off, congrats on the loss!

I wholeheartedly agree with you 110%! I’m down nearly 50 pounds (looking to lose about 20 more) because I changed my life, not because I dieted! I too cringe when I hear people talk about me dieting or asking me what diet worked for me. Changing how I view food and incorporate it into my life is the only “diet” I’m on!

Kenlie, congrats on your successes so far and I wish you the best of luck on your journey 🙂

September 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Wow Nikki! Congrats to you on your loss as well! 🙂

Peg
    September 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

I think that this is going to be my new mantra – Permanent change can be found when we change our habits in ways that we can sustain for a lifetime. So very true and important to remember!

September 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm

It’s a great mantra peg. I think that’s a good idea. 🙂

Tiffany
    September 23, 2011 at 9:48 am

Whenever I would go on a “diet” it would only last a few weeks and then I would want to binge because I restricted myself. Only when did I actually just make a lifestyle change and just start eating less calories and moving more did the weight start to come off and it felt a lot less stressful.

To me when I say diet now, I don’t even think of a real diet in the sense that people do when it comes to weight loss. I think of it is what I ate today and not as a restrictive eating plan. Wasn’t that originally what the word meant?

September 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Yes, that’s what the word means definitively, but it feels as though it has lost its actual meaning..

Lorie
    September 23, 2011 at 10:22 am

Totally agree Kenlie, I am not on a diet either, I have changed my life and will be counting points for the rest of my life, because that is the method I have chosen. Everytime someone speaks about ww and they say things about food they or I cannot eat, I flat out tell them, that’s not true, you can eat whatever you want, you just have to decide if it’s worth the points. And that my friend, is what I am and will be doing forever….maybe that’s why it’s working for me this time, because I am not on a diet…I am living my life in a new healthier way, and I have accepted I will be measuring everything forever…………wish me luck!!! -55.2 lbs and counting, have about 45 to go!!!

September 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Wow Lori! Congrats on being over halfway! That’s fantastic! I don’t think I’ll count points for the rest of my life, but I’ll continue for the next couple of years. My personal goal is to look at food and recognize what i serving looks like, etc. But I’ve had a lot of practice, and there’s a lot more ahead…I’ll worry about the rest later.

Annie Weighs
    September 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

I hate “diet”, too. I’ve said it many times to a certain someone and they STILL say it. Why don’t they understand that this isn’t a diet. Diets are temporary, this is forever! That certain someone, yeah she’s been yo-yo dieting her entire adult life. Again I say, diets are temporary and I’m not on one! Great weigh-in! 🙂

September 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I’m glad to see I’m not crazy for letting it bother me from time to time. I usually try to drown it out, but it is obnoxious……ha

Latina Barbi
    September 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Who’s on a diet? Not US!!!! muah!

September 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Heck no. 😉

Marion@AffectionforFitness
    September 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hi Kenlie! It is really an important milestone to accept that it is a lifelong pursuit, not a temporary thing. I congratulate you on that because it is much easier to lose weight if you’re planning for the long-term results. Then binges matter and you won’t want to do that to yourself. On diets, the day after the diet ends always comes sooner or later. And we all know from experience, we don’t want those day-after-the-diet-ends days back in our lives ever again.

Yay for your mom’s and your great weigh-ins.

🙂 Marion

September 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Yeah, I don’t want to be a yo-yo dieter so I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing…..And thanks! I enjoyed the weigh-in, and Mom did too. 🙂

Hyla
    September 23, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Huzzah! I did a post about the same thing when I first started WW.

Congratulations on your accomplishments at this meeting!

September 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Hyla! ::)

Jessica S
    September 24, 2011 at 6:55 am

AGREED! My inlaws are constantly making comments to my husband and I.. “OH.. we cannot order pizza b/c isn’t on your DIET”.. Once again it is explained.. We DO eat pizza, not regularly or as much as before.. but we are not against it. We just limit and portion control what type and how much we do eat…
    That said they are both VERY overweight and talk about how they cannot lose it like us b/c they cannot live on diet food like we are.. they don’t like it, they need to be able to enjoy their food… (This is usually said while eating something I cooked, that they are enjoying and overeating on… Obvioulsy it is not that unpalatable!)0lol

September 24, 2011 at 6:07 pm

That’s a tough one, and I think those reasons could make another long post….Mmmm….pizza…

Tim
    September 24, 2011 at 9:31 am

Ugh, diet. That word I hate with a passion. I never actually hated it until people assumed I was on one because I wasn’t stuffing my face with fish and chips 24/7.

What annoys me most is when people say to me “Are you sure you wanna eat that?”. Unless it’s filled with poison or horse poop, I think i’ll make the decision whether I want it or not and they should butt out and worry about themselves lol.

Hmm thinking about it….maybe it’s people I hate! LOL

All the best and congratulations on your weigh in and happy birthday to your mum!

Tim (@Timmoyoung) 🙂

September 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Ha Tim…I’m quite sure you don’t hate people even though you have terrible discretion regrading baseball teams. Go Yankees. That is all.

kristen
    September 24, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Hi Kenlie,
    I wanted to comment on your request for smoothie recipes. Take some watermelon, greek yogurt, (honey and lime are optional). I dont have specific measurments, I just threw it together. You put all in smoothie maker, blend and put in freezer pop holders and after they freeze you have some really delicious and healthy yogurt pops, SO YUMMY, and good for you.

keep up your great work!

kristen
    September 25, 2011 at 3:20 am

yes! i agree whole heartedly about changing your life to loose weight. Loosing weight derives from so many changes u can make in your life, (realizing you are worth the time and energy, learning to like excercising, learning to prefer healthier foods, practicing different coping skills) As you’ve said before it is a mental chanllenge. It’s tough and you do need to consider if the way you are eating to loose is something you can keep up with long term. I mean the whole goal is too take good care of ourselves, not starve ourselves. I am a food lover, it makes me happy to be around it, whether I’m preparing it or just even looking at pretty fruit. It’s part of who I am, I dont want to give up that joy to be smaller version of myself. Sorry for the long comment.

Bella
    September 25, 2011 at 10:19 am

You and your mom are doing phenomenally well! You both had such big weeks last week, so it’s great to see solid numbers on the scale again this week. It definitely shows all the effort you’ve been putting in.

I think your take on the word diet is absolutely right, and I’m glad you shared it again.

nikkianne
    September 25, 2011 at 10:23 am

I feel the same way! There are no things that are off limits, but there are foods that I eat less frequently. I have managed to incorporate it into my life and I am successful with it most of the time and have lost 45 lbs to date. I think I will be able to keep this up for the rest of my life.

KLA
    September 26, 2011 at 11:21 am

I agree with you. Even in jest, I have very strong and immediate reaction if someone tells me not to eat something because I’m on a “diet.”

Congrats on your progress!!

Dawn
    September 28, 2011 at 9:23 am

I read all kinds of blogs and love the fact that everyone is so different. One way that works so well for other people doesn’t work for me and visa versa. I have found things I never thought of and tried them. Through blog reading I found out that for me diet sodas were a really bad thing and cut them out for water ..what a good move that was. However, you and I are different in the way we see the word diet. I AM very much on a diet. I am dieting and that word helps me to refuse the wrong foods. I try to use it positively in my head…not saying ..oh no I can’t have these foods because I’m on a diet…but saying I’m really losing weight on this diet and I don’t want the bad food. I’m good with the word diet, and I’m good with the results.

IloveKona
    September 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm

YOU are spectacular! New to your blog, just came across it from a link to a story in The Daily Beast about Southwest Air and their awful treatment of customers. I plan on reading and forwarding this blog to several friends.