Emotions Exercise Lifestyle Uncategorized weight loss

If You’re A Tall, Hot Guy Who Likes Me, Please Skip This Post

I’ve started writing posts on this topic so many times, but I always stop because it’s so embarrassing.  But it’s such an important part of weight-loss – probably the hardest physical part, and I’m not sure when it will be better.  If you read my blog, you know I workout, and you know that I push myself hard. You may also know that before I started exercising, I despised sweating.  And now, I love it.

My body actually craves exercise, and the payoff is great….but…it comes at a price. And right now, my body is paying for it.  I’m in so much pain. I know it’s my fault for mistreating my body, and I take responsibility for it.  I’m trying to change it too, but for the next few sentences, I’m going to whine.

My stomach hurts, but I don’t have a stomach ache…I have a rash under my stomach which is a direct result of obesity.  When I put on this excess weight, I found that the majority of my weight was in my lower abdomen.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m (still) heavy all over, but if you make the picture bigger, you can see what I’m talking about in the photo below.  Basically, without being completely gross, when I sweat hard (like during workouts) my stomach takes a beating which has been creating a rash under my stomach lately.  And it hurts!

The doctor prescribed meds yesterday so I’m hoping for some relief in the next few days.  I plan to start taking the medicine today, and I also plan to skip my workout in the hopes that I’ll feel better by Friday.   I know it’s gross, and I know it’s not fun to talk about this…But if you have advice, I’m ready to hear it.  I’ve tried Gold Bond Powder (which works most of the time) and cortisone cream, but if you have better idea please share it.

I have to workout, and I probably have to go through these cycles of pain to get to my goal so I will.  But today, it hurts, and I just want it to stop…

Jane
    September 29, 2011 at 4:48 am

I remember that rash on my body. It did hurt. As the fat came off the rash disappeared completely. There is hope up ahead!

Jane~
    Keepingthepoundsoff.com

Flabby McGee
    September 29, 2011 at 5:11 am

that sucks, I know exactly what you’re talking about. Only thing I can think of is keep it dry. I used to put anything in there (towel, washcloth, even wrapped an ace bandage around my belly) to keep it dry. It’s the skin on skin thing, I still get it all the time – no matter how clean and dry I keep it. 🙁 So sorry you’re feeling the pain, I’m glad you went to the doctor for it, and I hope you feel better soon!

Jessica S
    September 29, 2011 at 6:11 am

You are NOT alone! The first time I experienced it I had no idea if it was related to my weight:roll and crease or due to it being right where my c/section scar is.. I called my *overweight 3 c/s surgeries friend* totally embarrassed! She laughed and said she gets that sometimes.. It does suck! and HURTS! I washed and dried really well and used baby powder b/c that was what I had. I do that every day.. My reason is I worry about odor.. I have NEVER had anyone tell me I smell but in my head I do.. So I dry off and I powder that abdominal area… Helps all around..
    My most terrifying moment happened a few months into my weight loss journey.. I rolled over in my sleep and my tummy hurt.. I ran my hand over my belly and it got wet….???? I went to the bathroom and looked.. the skin coming out of my navel and all around was FLAMING red, raw and irritated… WTF? Really? Infected rashy belly button? Who gets this? I have had it happen quite a few times… I need to remember to talk to my Dr about it the next time I am in.. My only thought is since I have lost a bunch of weight.. it is more flabby skin and less solid? The tissue around my naval is loose and bacteria can get in there? Less open space for air ? I am at a loss but it is really gross and really painful when it happens!
    Hope my drama brings a ( Thank goodness it was her not me) smile!

Marion@AffectionforFitness
    September 29, 2011 at 6:27 am

Hi Kenlie! Sorry you’re going through that! But it is one EXTREMELY good reason to get rid of that weight forever. I hope it fuels your fire to lose the weight.

🙂 Marion

Brandy
    September 29, 2011 at 6:57 am

I was going to recommend powder but obviously you already do that. I have VERY large breasts and the only way I can combat wetness/rash issues is daily deodorant/antiperspirant. I especially put it on before exercising. Hopefully it gets a LOT better as you get smaller!

Colleen @ Goodbye, Fat Girl
    September 29, 2011 at 7:20 am

I completely agree with Flabby McGee. Keep it dry any way you can. I have rolled washcloths up before and tucked them under that extra skin to avoid the skin on skin thing. Keeping it dry is really the only way to prevent the rash, and I know how you feel. It hurts like hell. Keep it clean and dry for a day or so and it’ll heal itself.

SKM
    September 29, 2011 at 8:36 am

When that has happened to me, my doc has actually referred to it as kind of an outside yeast/fungal situation and I’ve ended up using the cream stuff for athlete’s foot … on the underside of my belly and it used to happen under my left breast as well. (Yes, I have one breast that likes to go rogue … why one and not the other? Who knows?? 🙂 ) So I’ve used cream and then once things settle down, I use powder after I shower. GOOD LUCK. Hugs! You’re doing so well … keep it up!

Tammy
    September 29, 2011 at 9:09 am

I have a problem with chafing on my upper thighs. I bought some Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel, and that seems to help. You can use it before a workout or afterward when you have the soreness. I bought it at Walmart, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find, if you want to give it a try.

Morgan
    September 29, 2011 at 9:16 am

Something else that might help with the chafing is to use something like Body Glide – I use it when I run so that my thighs don’t bleed when they rub together. It comes in a stick that looks like deodorant, and it just glides on. I think it would be worth a try.

September 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oddly enough, I have recommended Body Glide to so many people! It works like a dream! I seriously can’t believe I didn’t think of that….thank you!

April Crawford
        March 31, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I struggled with this for years my solution? Dove deodorant. I put it on armpits, under breast and under stomach flap. Even as you loose weight many of us have loose skin.
        Don’t use it while you still have rash but once it clears up. I discovered this 4 yrs ago and haven’t had a rash since.

Pj geek
    September 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

I give you props for posting this. I’m an old hand at this–obese and and a nurse. Even after losing 130lbs, I still have a belly that hangs over ( sometimes called an ‘apron’-I hate that). The rashes are less but they happen. When I was heavier they were more frequent and in more places. So I’m guessing I’m saying it gets better. I have issues especially when cold weather comes and I start wearing flannel and sweatpants.

Washing and patting dry as soon after exercise is best. I find that desitin cream –baby diaper rash cream- works to protect the area if I want to go exercise and sometimes it heals it and sometimes it doesn’t. I also use Gold bond powder for minor irritations….I have actual muscle/ tissue pain from the loose flesh hanging in my belly when I rum / exercise hard. We really need to support our belly/ underlying musculature with support underwear / spanx/girdle/compression workout clothes- whatever. . otherwise it just flabs.

Fyi from the nurse / insurance world aspect. It’s technically called a panniculus and it is usually what people want to get rid of after major weight loss. Sometimes it does actually qualify for surgery under insurance if the skin irritations / treatments become excessive and if it hangs down below the pubis. When it hangs this low , a girdle or spanx is a must.

Lisa
    September 29, 2011 at 9:39 am

Desitin Cream, the baby diaper rash diaper cream works great to help avoid it from happening. When it does happen I go with the good old Neosporine. LOL It’s my cure all!

Lorie
    September 29, 2011 at 9:41 am

I used to have it too, and you are doing what you can that I know of to help. But as PJ geek said, make sure to keep going to your doctor for documentation and it may be covered under insurance once you have lost your weight to have the skin removed. I have heard this happen before for people.

Good luck Kenlie, I know it hurts and there really is nothing more you can do but wait for it to heal. Sorry, hugs!!

Big Girl Bombshell
    September 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

The best thing for any type “moisture” rashes . is Desitin – just like PJ said.

Rebecca
    September 29, 2011 at 9:56 am

I second the suggestions of using Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel or Body Glide. I’ve used both and they work relatively well at preventing. I prefer Body Glide because it looks like deodorant and it isn’t goopy, so my hands aren’t a mess like they would be with applying a gel product. Body Glide can be found at most athletic/running stores usually by the registers.

Good luck Kenlie! I read your blog often (but rarely comment), but you should know that you truly are an inspiration to me! Hope you start to feel better really, really soon! No pain, no gain,; right?! 😉

Sarah
    September 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’ve got no advice my dear, but I have to ask – what are you doing in that picture?!?! Are you painting a gave? I’ve never seen above the ground grave slabs like that! Facinating! You have to paint them every year?

October 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Yes Sarah…I was painting my grandma Daisy’s grave…and next to it is my Papa’s grave. November 1 is All Saints Day (a Catholic holiday though we’re not Catholic) so my mom paints the graves every year, places new flowers out there, etc so it looks nice…

Cathy
        October 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

Actually, All Saints Day is not just a Catholic holiday. It’s a Christian holy day when the Church honors all saints, both known and unknown. Especially in the Protestant tradition, we give glory to God for the lives of those who have gone before us, remembering that they were once here with us. Some congregations use it as a memorial for those from their congregation who have died in the past year. Whatever the tradition, it’s a good time to think about our loved ones who have died and also those who are still among us. (Just a little aside…sorry to digress!)

Brenda
    September 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

My mom struggles with this and she uses an OTC anti-fungal cream. It clears her up every time. Good luck!!

Tara
    September 29, 2011 at 10:26 am

Diaper rash cream will help heal it, or anything with a high zinc content. To prevent it, powders.

What really sucks is that I still get it. I’ve lost 51% of my body weight and I still have times when it flares up – my pannus is the part of my body that just refused to go away when I lost weight. I can’t afford surgery so I live with it.

Dawn
    September 29, 2011 at 10:45 am

I had exactly this but not from exercising, just everyday walking about. However clean and dry I started the day at, skin folds would get hot, and I got red infections. I used witch hazel cream which kept control but didn’t get rid.
    I did get rid of it completely…gone, totally, but losing the fat rolls. You are doing the right thing in losing the weight to lose the problem.
    Dawn

Emily
    September 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

I use Monistate Chafing Relief powder gel and it’s awesome. I use not only on my stomach but my thighs and arms. Wait until the rash clears before you put it on though.

Jodi
    September 29, 2011 at 11:07 am

I hope no one throws stuff at me (unless its an oreo)…but the only thing that helped for me was skin removal. I actually had a tummy tuck before i lost all the weight because I had so many issues related to my skin.

Tabitha
    September 29, 2011 at 11:48 am

Vaseline it works wonders

Erin
    September 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Desitin! All the time. I swear by the stuff. Not just for babies. :o)

Nina Patricia
    September 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm

You are SO not alone, My Hubs tends to get them in his inner thighs from rubbing too much…honestly is not gross, it happens to most of us, but the reason why is happening is a good one, you are trying to do better.
    My advice was the powder but you already know that…I’ve also heard about the Desitin…feel better my lovely.

Nancy
    September 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I definitely have the pannus problem. What works for me is good old Vaseline in the fold area each morning after I dry the area very carefully (after my shower). Then I use a cornstarch baby powder in generous quantities there and everywhere else I might have skin rubbing issues, under arms, boobs, between thighs. This regimen works really well for me, I used to have a lot of problems with yeast infection type rashes before doing this.

Tracy
    September 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Kenlie,

I am right at 400 lbs. I work out occasionaly and use cornstarch regliously. I use it all over, where ever there is a roll of fat cornstarch goes under it. My best friend taught me this wonderful little trick years ago and I still swear by it to this day….no rashes. Plus cornstarch is especially cheaper than those other powders…give it a try. Good luck and hope you feel better.

DesertNails8
    September 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Best wishes on this. Would swimming be a way of exercising that wouldn’t aggravate the situation?

Jennifer
    September 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm

As strange as this sounds it worked for me. A very thin maxi pad. I was able to keep it tucked in the fold and that would absorb the sweat. Or try getting the old granny pannies out and instead of wearing them outside tuck them into the fold that will help keep it dry.

Brandy Relaxing
      September 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I second Jennifer’s comment about putting the undies under the tummy instead of over… even if it’s just during exercise to absorb the extra moisture. However, I’ve heard really good things about cornstarch too though.

Megan
    September 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I think there’s skin irritation from rubbing, and then there’s a fungal infection from rubbing, sweating, festering and heat. I get this yeast infection under my breasts after a particularly sweaty day, and it creates raised welts. I use Lotrimin for a couple days to clear it up, along with baby powder. I think a barrier cream, such as Desitin, would be helpful in prevention, to eliminate irritation during workouts.

Stephanie
    September 29, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I definitely suggust body glide…I wouldn’ts survive workouts without it!

Sarah
    September 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oh my goodness that is absolutely awful! I don’t really know what to suggest. Have you tried anything like UnderArmor? Since it’s really snug material maybe it would help keep a layer between your skin.? Maybe that’s a terrible suggestion too…I have no idea!
    It is awesome to hear that you don’t let this problem get you down and that you keep pushing yourself.

Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

wendy
    September 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm

athlete foot spray…;otramin….i know it sounds weird but i gets the rashies too and it used to be so bad i would wake up itching and scratching to death!

Cathy
    September 29, 2011 at 5:52 pm

All great suggestions! In addition to the powder stuff, I use a piece of a cotton handkerchief tucked in there. You can handwash them each night or throw them in the laundry with your whites. It absorbs anything that the powder doesn’t catch. Another idea is a piece of a cloth diaper. They are made for absorbing lots of liquid.

Thursday's Child
    September 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I’d say a little vaseline would do the job here to help you (I’m guessing ‘bodyglide’ is a similar american product)

Patty (135by2012)
    September 29, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I know exactly what you mean! I use Suave spray deodorant to keep me dry under my belly and it works wonders!

Julie
    September 30, 2011 at 4:04 am

The thing is, it’s a fungal infection so whoever suggested the Lotrimin cream hit the nail on the head. Don’t use anything that will foster more fungal growth, i.e. Continue to keep it wet such as Vaseline etc. Your m.d. Most likely gave you a diflucan-type oral drug to treat the yeast overgrowth internally. A bit of overkill imho but fine for now. The cortisone cream will be of little to no benefit in the long run other than right now it will help with your current inflammation. I do best with a cream that has clotrimazole in it. As active ingredients there are creams that also have tolnaftate and lotrimin.. They’re available over the counter in the foot section at drug stores.

Diana
    September 30, 2011 at 6:27 am

I don’t have time right now to read all the respsonses and suggestions, so I’ll just let you know what works for me. I got a medicated powder like Gold Bond. Works great. Keeps the area dry and really clears up the redness fast. Good luck. It is painful and icky, I know. 🙂

Just my .02

Laurie
    September 30, 2011 at 7:47 am

I get it under my boobs.
    Someone suggested Desitin, that diaper rash cream. It helped to heal it really fast.
    Good luck.

Mary
    September 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I completely understand what you’re talking about. My problem is thigh rubbage (not sure that’s even a word). Have you tried the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel? I love it. It’s about $6 a tube from Wal-Mary, but so worth it. I get every last bit of it out of the tube by cutting it open and using it all up. It works miracles!

Brooke
    September 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Okay, dealt with this. Did the GB powder, did anti-fugal, athletes foot, butt cream, baby cream, peroxide, soap and water etc. You name it, I did it. It got so bad one time and would just not clear up with anything. Then I realized what I needed. Yeast infection cream. Yep, bought a tube of it and rub it on the infected area. Here is the big thing though. The yeast stuff is kinda wet and so are all those other creams, so the environment stays moist and thats how the bacteria breads. I take some GB powder and pat it on over the Yeast cream to dry things out as well. Of course, I take a shower and clean it and air dry before doing any of the above. But this method has NEVER failed me. Preventative: Using the chaffing gels (that dry like a powder, Monistate makes one) or good old dry solid deodorant before you think you will get sweaty.

deb
    October 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Thank you so much for having the courage to post this. I thought I was the only one suffering from this! I haven’t worn a dress or skirt for close to 10 years because my thighs rub together so much it kills. These suggestions are so helpful!

Steelers6
    October 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Bodyglide http://www.bodyglide.com/ is such a great product. I did see that you commented about that above, Kenlie. I thought it might work for what you describe if it was a chafing problemo.

For those not familiar with this product I believe I have attached the link here. You can click on ‘where to buy’ on their site. On the East Coast I have found it in chains like Sports Authority, or Eastern Mountain Sports. It can also be purchased at independent running stores and some online sites.

I use it to avoid blisters w/running shoes, flip flops, & heels alike. It can also be used to avoid chafing from a bra, or for those who deal with “chub rub”. [thigh chafing] 🙂 I highly recommend using it BEFORE a problem has a chance to start. It isn’t greasy or visible.
    Chrissy

Ammanda
    October 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I would recommend good old cornstarch..it should provide a layer between the skin rubbing, helps it slip against the layers and best of all cornstarch kills any yeast cells that may cause an infection. This was recommended to me by a Doctor a few years ago…works great!

Ammanda

Denise
    October 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hey Kenz! Catching up on my blog reader cause I’ve been moving!

1: My prayers are with you and your family during this time. I pray for peace and comfort that surpasses all understanding for you and Uncle Wes!

2: Aerosol Suave deodorant is the only thing that helps when I have this rash. I get it under my boobies as well! INSTANT relief!

Several Things
    October 8, 2011 at 3:04 am

[…] so it’s back to the gym for me.  If you want to know why my stomach hurts, you can click here for the details.  That being said, I took your advice and felt a lot better yesterday. […]

Ally
    October 11, 2011 at 8:42 am

Use corn starch in these places at night after your shower (yes the kind you can cook with — or the baby powder kind) until the places are gone. And when you work out put aquaphor on the places that are irritated or get irritated. 🙂

Can Obesity Be Sexy?
    January 4, 2012 at 12:01 am

[…] definitely easier for plus-size girls now than it was a decade ago.)  Working out is harder (I’ve talked about the side effects of tough workouts before even though I don’t regret them.)  And feeling desirable is harder […]