Just Another Day

Some days are easy for me, and some days are extraordinarily tough.  And right now, I’m in the middle…I’m working out hard (after a couple days off) and eating fairly well though I need to eat more vegetables today so I prepped a giant salad last night. I don’t use salad dressing so it’s easy to keep a big salad (seasoned with garlic pepper) in the fridge so I can pull it out quickly when I’m hungry. And I’m sure it’s obvious that I’m much more likely to make good choices when they’re easy. It’s easy enough to add beans or chicken, but I’ll do that when I’m ready to eat it.

And speaking of choices, I’m still struggling with the gym decision, but I went to Anytime Fitness again today.  And it’s obviously the right choice though I have to admit that I don’t know how to use some of the machines, and I was pretty embarrassed as I fumbled around trying to figure it out (though no one seemed to notice.)  People are friendly at both gyms, but there are definitely more “beef cake” types at Anytime Fitness. At one point, that would have been a deal breaker for me, but it’s not anymore so I’ll probably make the *smart* decision by the end of this week.

During my workout I warmed up on the treadmill before moving to my old favorite, the elliptical.  And I followed that with a little weight training – legs and arms, but I was frustrated about not knowing how to utilize some of the machines.  Weight training is serious business because doing it wrong can result in injury so as I was doing leg presses (no problem there) I found myself thinking about the other gym…again.  I like the idea of visiting the ladder and women’s weight room via day pass at Peak once a week or every other week, but at $10 per day, that’s ridiculous because I’d be spending more $55 t0 $60 per month to workout in a place I love 4 times per month as opposed to just spending the $60.  (You don’t have to tell me that’s a dumb idea.)

My daily health goals now include hitting the gym and limiting processed foods, but I’m trying to sleep more this week too.  I’m trying to decide if I feel differently if I sleep for an hour longer every night.  I’m also tracking everything I eat and feeling good about most of my choices so I’ll ready for tomorrow’s weigh-in.  And while we were at the gym, Mom mentioned that I’m looking smaller, and I know it’s true so I’ll feel good regardless.

How are you doing?  Are you satisfied with the progress that you’re making this week?

Morgan
    September 28, 2011 at 1:29 am

When I signed up for Anytime Fitness, they included one free session with a trainer who taught me how to use the machines – you should check into that and see if yours offers it. Because some of those machines are confusing!

I am not currently satisfied with my week, and it is frustrating me. Is it bad to not be satisfied when you are only 2 days in? (I don’t start my week on Sunday.) I am going to work harder to feel better by the end of my week though.

Hilary @ The Big Weight
    September 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

Kenlie – do either of those gyms offer a more short term membership, where you could commit to one of them for a shorter period of time, and that way, if you felt like you made the wrong decision, you would at least know that your commitment was not as long term?

TC
    September 28, 2011 at 9:24 am

I’ll say again, whatever decision you make about the gym will be the right one for you. I totally get about fumbling with the exercise equipment, but don’t worry, we all go through that and in no time you will get the hang of it. As for me, the traffic has been horrible this week, Monday it took me 2 hours and 20 min. to get to the Y, so all I did was go into the locker room and get changed for work. Yesterday and today was 1 ½ hours, so I only got a ½ hour in the gym, but I will take what I can get. Ran yesterday for 1 ½ miles and did weights today.

Thursday's Child
    September 28, 2011 at 10:03 am

I have no idea how much these things cost, but could you save up the money and jsut get yourself a ladder machine for home?

Jodi
    September 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

I go to LA Boxing. I love it because its a HUGE calorie burn and its fun. I have been boxing for over a year now and I don’t think I will ever stop. I like it that much. When I am trying to lose and not just maintain I personally stick to cardio 6 days a week with 3 days of weight training. My cardio routine consists of boxing/kickboxing class for an hour or 1.5 hours on the treadmill or elliptical. I have a trainer that helps me with weight training. I have my final skin removal on 11/18 so I am trying to drop 15 lbs by then.

IloveKona
    September 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm

The staff should be more than happy to show you how to use the machines, after doing it once or twice you will have it down. Also, does your club have an indoor pool? Swimming is a great cardio work out and wonderful complement to weight training. Helps relieve soreness 🙂

Jess
    September 28, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I have eating paleo and I’m in a crossfit boot camp right now…and feel the best I have ever felt in my life! I’ve been a gym rat at Gold’s gym for about 3 years..lost about 30lbs then plateaued. There are all types of people in the boot camp. A guy from the boot camp a few months ago was pushing 300 lbs and he lost 40 lbs during the boot camp (4 weeks) and he joined the gym and looks like he is just one of the guys that have been there for at least a year! I’m not sure how many lbs or inches I have lost, but I have more energy and sleep great. I’m going to join the gym after the boot camp. If there is a cross fit gym/boot camp around your area…try it out. They usually have free sessions you can go to. I wish you the best! <3

karen F
    September 28, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Just my two cents as a 7 day a week exerciser- go where you will be excited and motivated to work out. Period. You are not talking about that much of a difference moneywise. So give up a weekly meal out or something else. Its totally worth it as it brings you a step closer to your goals. I can tell from your post what your instincts are telling you. Now its just up to you to listen!

KLA
    September 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm

From what I’m reading I think you are gravitating towards the Peak gym and its perks are outweighing the convenience and the low cost of the Anytime gym….

Chubby McGee
    September 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm

You RULE, gym gal. Remember that you’re there at the gym for YOU…not for beefcakes or people who feel the need to compete with everyone else around them for some sick gratification issue they developed in middle school or something. I love that you’re killin’ it. I love that you’re gymming it up. LOL! Gymming it up.

My life is literally screwing with my routines right now. I can’t wait until the weather changes and my kids aren’t sick so I can get my ass back into the swing of things. 🙁 I am not happy with the way things are going these past few days.

J
    September 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Nope…not so glad. I weighed in yesterday and had gained .8 lbs. I know that’s not a lot, but it was the last week before my 31st birthday, and I had hoped to hit my 40 lbs lost mark. I didn’t.

So I am going to LA Fitness tonight to listen to their schpeel and try to get me to sign up right now…errr….work out. I might try to finish off the week strong and see if I can’t still make it the day after my birthday.

But birthday weekends are very.very.very difficult to stay good on!!

Nina
    September 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I think that you should take price out of it and think about which one you would choose. (What matter most is that you are at the place that is best for you and it’s an investment in your overall happiness.) If it’s a matter of $20-$30 more, it’s probably worth it etc.

It kinda makes me think of the trainer thing I am doing, I really cannot afford it, but then it makes me happy because it’s really taking the place of all the eating out that I couldn’t afford … and use to do anyway. I am hoping once I feel OK back on my own I can keep putting away that same amount of money, maybe in savings or something really positive?

Tim
    September 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I hate the elliptical! Actually that’s a lie, I love to hate it. It’s a beast of a machine that causes me nothing but pain, but in a good way! 🙂

I’ve been a member at my gym for nearly a year and i still havent a clue how to use most of the machines. I swear one of them looks like the medieval torture rack and would rip my arms off as soon as I have a go on it lol.

nikkianne
    September 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Workout wise I am awesome! I was away for two nights and worked out both days. Eating is another story. I’ve been struggling so much with eating reasonable portions and healthy food. I am trying to take it one week at a time, accept my failures and try and make each day better than the last.