Emotions Friend Makin' Mondays Lifestyle Reflection

Friend Makin’ Mondays: Bouncing Back

This has been one of the longest weekends of my life.  Actually, it’s been one of the longest weeks.  Since Uncle W passed away Wednesday, my life has been thrown into a tumultuous array of emotions.  I have cried (so much) and eaten complete crap (and too much of it) and have felt miserable and wonderful at various moments.  I’m still emotionally drained, but I’m looking forward to sharing some guest posts this week while I recover and get back into a healthy routine.

The memorial was standing room only, and I saw many people that I hadn’t seen since I was a kid – family members, my kindergarten teacher and other folks who were impacted by my uncle.  I sang “It Is Well With My Soul” and choked up so much during the second verse that I had to stop for a moment before finishing, but I made it through.

Cal was here all weekend.  He met my family, and he didn’t leave my side at all.  He hugged me, held my hand, let me cry and wiped my tears.  He told me I was pretty and answered all of the questions my family asked like “what are your intentions with my niece” and more…He carried heavy things, grabbed things on the top shelf  and encouraged me to eat more vegetables by wanting to eat more vegetables himself.  I could say so much about him, but I’ll do that later.  For now, I’ll just sum it up by saying that he provided exactly what I didn’t know I needed this weekend.

I need to change  a lot of things this week – starting with food and workouts.  I need to eat healthy foods and workout.  I need to jump back into the good groove that I found in September because that feels like a lifetime ago.  I’m tired, and I’m going to work on getting through Monday by making good choices which leads me to this week’s topic…

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: What do you do when trying to reclaim your healthy lifestyle after a few emotional, unhealthy weeks?

This week, I’m asking you to share your answers because I need to hear them so don’t forget to come back and link up! Happy Monday!

Becki
    October 31, 2011 at 3:05 am

I wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. Im so happy that you had a wonderful person by your side to support you during your time of need.

Becki
    October 31, 2011 at 3:12 am

I am sorry for your loss. I am happy that you had someone wonderful to support you during your time of need. Im also glad to see that you are ready to get back at it and move forward.

Michelle
    October 31, 2011 at 10:56 am

I’m very sorry for your loss.

To answer your question, the first thing I do is plan. I plan my meals for the day or the next few. Plans have always helped me make better decisions. I also drink a lot of water to help flush out all the impurities I’ve put into my body. It also helps reduce bloat!

October 31, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thank you Michelle….And you’r right..Planning is key! I’m drinking lots of water too, but that part is pretty standard..:)

dad
      October 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm

great comment. we don’t plan to fail, we fail to plan

auntiekim
    October 31, 2011 at 11:18 am

big hugs, my friend. I love Cal 🙂

October 31, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I’m kind of a fan of Cal myself. 😉

Kris
    October 31, 2011 at 11:37 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Kenlie. Sometimes we neglect ourselves when we take care of others. Good luck bouncing back, I know you will.

October 31, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Bouncing today….so far, so good..

Amanda
    October 31, 2011 at 1:27 pm

This is something that is a constant struggle for me. I’m curious to read how others cope in these situations. I know that music is a comfort to me.

October 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Music comforts me too. Definitely. I turned on my iPod and rode my bike for an hour this afternoon. Now I’m going to head to the gym and turn it on again. 🙂

Nina Patricia
    October 31, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I so hope that your heart starts to feel better soon…give yourself time to grieve, it’s ok. hugs.

October 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I feel like things are more normal today than they have been in a few weeks, and it feels like a relief. At the same time, I still miss him…not sure it has really set in yet that he’s gone..

Nina
    October 31, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Kenlie,

Glad you are hanging in there and glad you are spending time with family and loved ones. (And a special someone – too exciting!)

I think the biggest thing I do is let myself know that it is OK to have times where I am not perfect … especially during times of great stress and loss! (Forgive myself for being human etc.)

Then look at every day as being a new group of choices and how even with the slips the goal is to always do more good than bad on a consistent basis – not to be perfect 24/7.

I think it’s through love that we all do better.

You can also look at how much your Uncle loves you and wants you to be strong and the best you, you can be. I am sure he is so proud that you are finding healthy ways to grieve, such as asking friends for support etc.

Losing people we love is one of those things that NEVER gets normal or easy. It’s just hard and feels unnatural – and it’s definitely a roller-coaster process of good days/hours and bad. No matter what you do right now there is not a right way, and you just have to be kind to yourself.

XOXO,
    Nina

Steelers6
    October 31, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Oh…I was so touched by the fact that you sang at his service, and the choice of song. Aww…I’m trying to imagine your beautiful voice singing it. That is so special. <3 Pret-ty sure you were not the only one who was emotional at that point! [How does you Mom seem to be through it all? I'm glad she has you closeby right now..]

Wow, standing room only. The impact this man had while on the earth is really something. You didn't mention if he leaves behind a wife & kids…(but of course as always, if that is none of our biz, then fine!)

I'm so thankful for the care Cal extended to you & others I'm sure, during this difficult time. What a blessing! What you describe sounds like he was so tuned in to your loss, pain and needs over this time. So special, Kenlie. I'm glad you had that support!!

When attempting to reclaim my healthy lifestyle, I dig in and go for walks, & workout with Jillian, and it feels SO much better to be back at it! And as you know it lifts one's spirits. Sorry, no blog to link to.
    Chrissy

Sharilee
    October 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Hi. I’m sorry for you and your family at this time.

I did a response to the question but I this is one I am still trying to figure out, too.

Here is the post:

Nancy
    November 1, 2011 at 12:30 am

Walking along the beach letting the waves somehow soothe my soul after losing my sister, my husband by my side. Also another loss both he and I walked through a special formal garden, just sitting together in the gazebo there, experiencing our grief. Be very good to yourself when the horrible bad times hit. Allow yourself to make it through the day. There is always a hole in us where the loved one lived and left footprints. It does get better but you never “get over it” as those who don’t understand suggest. I will be praying for comfort for you and your family Kenlie.

Brooke
    November 1, 2011 at 9:10 am

I’m sorry for your loss. And though my unhealthy habits were not due to a sad occasion, they were unhealthy. Ever been on a cruise? Food is literally thrown at you, well not really……….but you get the point. Free food pretty much everywhere you turn, well cooked, and 247 access. It was difficult to say no all the time. Though, I did say no more than I have in the past. I tried to listen to my body and we did try and take stairs and keep moving. I came back excited to get back on track with my weightloss, which was new. I was excited to see what I could do next after meeting my last goal. However, I was completely scared of what that scale would say after a week of indulgence. Nevertheless, I stepped on the scale and………………up 3.6lbs. I expected a gain………how could I not have one. I was actually really happy with the about gained though. If you didn’t know, the average weight gained on a 7 day cruise is 5-7lbs. I was really happy that I was below the average gain. Also, after eating rich foods for a week, my tastes buds are actually a little tired and really aren’t going after me to eat too much. My eating schdl. is off, but I’ll fix that soon enough. I got right back on WW points yesterday and tracking. Tonight I’ll get back with my Zumba. I doing a quick goal of getting the 3.6lbs off by next friday, which is my weigh in day. After that, I have a new goal of 25lbs by my next cruise in Nov. 2012.