Emotions Friend Makin' Mondays Uncategorized

Friend Makin’ Mondays: Stereotyping

My weekend flew by, as usual, but I had a great time with my Mom.  We worked out at the gym, did a little shopping and visited with friends on Sunday, and she saw Uncle Wesley though I didn’t.  My throat has been scratchy since Friday, and I woke up feeling a little under the weather Saturday morning so I didn’t take a chance.  He’s doing well enough that he went to church again yesterday.  This week, I’m going to work on some fundraising which will start with making a flyer so wish me luck.  Now it’s time for FMM!

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM:  Stereotyping

Have you ever been the victim of stereotyping?  If so, will you elaborate?  What do you wish people thought of you as they notice you for the first time?

I know it won’t be a surprise to anyone that I’m often stereotyped due to my weight, but I think it’s still pretty common.  When people see me walking down the street, I still assume I know what they’re thinking though they don’t say it out loud as often these days.  All too often, I think people assume (based on personal experience) that I’m lazy and that I sit on the sofa eating giant bags of Cheetos every night or something.   I wish people saw someone pretty and charming who is also intelligent and worth knowing.  And lately, I’ve started to realize that some people do see that, and I’m thankful for them. (You know who you are.)

Now it’s your turn to answer the question.  Feel free to expound more than I did, and don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments! Happy Monday!

Kris
    October 17, 2011 at 2:47 am

This week’s topic is interesting – makes you think about what others think of you… and what you think of others too!

Good luck with your flyers – your cookies looked adorable!

October 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Thanks Kris! I’m going to work on the flyer more today, but the cookies had to go so I wouldn’t eat them. 😉

Nina Patricia
    October 17, 2011 at 3:37 am

Thanks to my insomnia I’m joining on time 🙂

October 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Oh no! I’m glad to have you here, but not because you can’t sleep! I hope you were able to rest eventually! 🙂

auntiekim
    October 17, 2011 at 6:37 am

Oh bless you for posting this early. I’m having surgery this morning and am a bundle of nerves, so obviously not sleeping. Can’t wait to read everyone’s answers on Wednesday when I’m fully awake! Great topic as always. Glad to hear your uncle was well enough to get to church yesterday!

Ok, I’m off to take a shower and head to the hospital…ciao ciao

October 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Oh Kim! I pray that all goes well in your surgery! Can’t wait to hear from you after it!

Jodi
    October 17, 2011 at 8:00 am

I know I am guilty of stereotyping — as we all are to a degree — thanks for the interesting topic! I look forward to reading others posts!

October 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I think most of us could admit stereotyping..I’ve done it.

Joshua
    October 17, 2011 at 8:11 am

Hello everyone!

Excellent topic this week. Kind of a head-scratcher!

Sharilee
    October 17, 2011 at 9:20 am

Awesome! I was looking forward to FMM this week. Here’s my post. Have a good day!

October 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm

That makes me happy to hear! 🙂

PlumPetals
    October 17, 2011 at 10:23 am

It’s been a while since I’ve participated in FMM! It’s unfortunate that people can be judgmental without any real reason … I would have thought by now people would be more tolerant and appreciative of differences, but I guess we still have a long way to go!

October 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm

It’s nice to see you here! 🙂

Brooke
    October 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

I often get fussed at by friends and “people” in general when I speak to this topic. “You shouldn’t say things like that.” Why not? You can’t tell me that there is at least a 50% chance that its what they are thinking. How do I know? Well, I’ve been big all my life, I learned a few things and b/c I’m a person too and I know I’ve judged others. Its human. We are not perfect, not even those who have been judged can’t say they haven’t judged themselves. I just don’t want to be in denial about things. Real expectations are good, but the best part is that with real expectations sometimes…………..you get surprises. Would I normally think some 6 ft tall, six packed Adonis would take a second look at me, no. But, that is a real expectation. However, life is full of surprises and maybe one day…………..

But I also say, its those who know you, who truly see you. My friends and family love me and think I’m perfect and beautiful b/c they get to know all of me. People on the street, only know what they see. Hopefully, they see someone who dresses nice, is presentable, and will most the time smile at a passing stranger.

It always sticks with me what a friend told me once. I was talking about my weight and how people look at me and what they see. My friend is generally one of those people who just says what she thinks and it may have been offensive to some, but I knew what she meant. She said,

“When I look at you, I don’t see fat. I forget that you are. Your personality shines over that and I guess I’m just blinded by that light.”

October 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Sounds like you have some great friends!

Joshua
    October 17, 2011 at 11:51 am

I guess I hadn’t linked back here!!

October 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Now you have! 🙂

Lisa
    October 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Wow, this was a tough one!

October 21, 2011 at 2:29 am

Yeah, it was…I’ll make next week’s post easier! =)

Erin
    October 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm

My answer surprised even me!

October 21, 2011 at 2:29 am

Wow! Awesome!

Jenn
    October 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

a day late and a dollar short… 🙂

Still have to catch up on everyones answers. Happy Tuesday! 😀

October 21, 2011 at 2:30 am

That’s okay….still glad you’re here! =)