Dating Healthy Eating Lifestyle Produce Uncategorized

Guys, Good Food and Inspirational People

Yesterday was a busy day for me, and while it was a good day overall, some parts were better than others.  After I accomplished what I had to accomplish in the afternoon, I spent some time with Cal.  We shopped for groceries (well, he did while I bought only vegetables and Brie) then he created a lovely meal for us at his place.  I had never been there before, but I’m going to go often if he prepares a healthy and delicious spread like last night. 😉

Check out the fresh veggies that he chopped and drizzled with Turkish Olive Oil from Whole Foods and the savignon blanc which is my favorite white wine…

I decided to have wine after I declined initially so I drank about half of what you see in his glass. 🙂

While we were at the store, Cal willingly took time to peruse every aisle.  (I like the way this guy shops!)  And I found some interesting fruits and vegetables which, of course, led me to explain my love of oddly colored produce – courtesy of KeepItUpDavid.  Cal knew the origin of every fruit and veggie that I found interesting so I learned a lot.  And while he knew what it was called, he didn’t know how to prepare this…

Ideas? Anyone? The packing peanut leads me to think it's more delicate than it looks.

Yesterday was a good day, and last evening was great.  And while I ate pretty well until the end of the night, I didn’t exercise so I plan to double up today by riding my bike and going to the gym.  I also have a healthy day of eating planned out for today, and I’m going to make homemade turkey pumpkin chili for dinner!  It’s always fun to try new pumkin recipes in the fall! 🙂  If it tastes as good as I think it will, I’ll be sure to share the recipe soon!

I’m looking forward to seeing Cal again later in the week, and I plan to see Uncle Wesley as well.  This is the longest I’ve gone without seeing him since I arrived in Louisiana, and I’m ready to hug him and sing to him.  We’re making some progress on his upcoming cancer benefit, but I hope to make a big push for it tomorrow so wish me luck!

He still seems to be doing well though some days are much harder than others, but something happened yesterday that really bothered our family (and Uncle Wesley, I’m sure.)  Hospice is supposed to send a nurse to his house once a week, but for some reason they chose not to send a nurse yesterday.  Instead, they sent a chaplain which was disheartening.  Regardless, Uncle W still believes that God has a plan, and he’s committed to helping others see it as long as he’s here.   He is such an incredible example of someone who has every reason to give up and doesn’t.  He is faith personified, and I’m so thankful for him.

The last several weeks has reminded me that my problems are nothing compared to the problems that many people face (and overcome) everyday.  And as I spend time looking , I’m finding inspiration in people who really do believe that they can make a difference in our world, and two of those people are Rhonda Sapirstein and Ellen Stohl.

Ellen, who has spent most of her life in a wheelchair became the first disabled woman to appear in Playboy (take that disability!) and has inspired others to live life fully as a professor, a wife and mother – and as someone who doesn’t acknowledge the word “limitations.”   And it seems that she inspired Rhonda to create an organization to make life a bit easier for those who are active in spite if their disabilities.  I just love this story!

Most of us know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but did you know that October is also Disability Awareness Month?  I had no idea until I heard about it through friends recently, but I think it’s important to get the message out!  I’ve learned about some awesome things in the last few weeks that are happening to help people in wheelchairs.

Check out this Cozee-On-The-Go!  It’s an adaptive garment that makes it easy for people in wheelchairs to stay warm.  And I think this is a spectacular idea because while I may not benefit from one personally, I can think of many people like Uncle W who could greatly benefit from something warm and easy.

I’ve been so inspired over the last few weeks by people who are facing obstacles and overcoming them, and I think we should all take a moment to be inspired by them.  If you’re interested in learning more about the Cozee-On-The-Go, or how you can donate to people who need them check out at http://www.revmoradaptive.com/.

I hope everyone enjoys today as much as I enjoyed yesterday.  Will you workout today?  Do you have healthy meals planned?

Tim
    October 19, 2011 at 4:27 am

That fruity thing looks like some kinda alien! Never seen anything like it before in my life! The turkey pumpkin chilli sounds good. Pumpkin isn’t as popular over here than in the US but in recent years they’ve become a lot more available, so I’m hoping to start trying some nice recipes with pumpkin in. Yummy!

October 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I love all things pumpkin though I typically make sweet treats. Now I’ve incorporated it in my dinner.

Kris
    October 19, 2011 at 6:26 am

Pumpkin chili? Sounds yummy! I’ve done pumpkin cookies, muffins, bread, and soup (aside from pie, of course!). I’ve also seen recipes for pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin smoothies – I love fall.

I have two workouts to do today (three if I can find the time, because I skipped yesterday…) – a bike ride and a core workout. Dinner will be a healthy version of meatloaf – slimmed down comfort food!

October 19, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I adore pumpkin pancakes…especially when I add pecans. =)

Joshua
    October 19, 2011 at 8:55 am

So, did you buy a Buddha’s Hand? I’ve never had one, but as I understand it, they’re kind of citrus-y. I would totally try it, though. Tossed in a fresh salad; or chopped and used as part of a marinade maybe? I would think that anything that called for a citrus flavor would work.

The plate of veggies and bread looks SOOO good!! Are those grape leaves on the back of the plate?

We’ve been continuing to pray for your family. I certainly hope you post information about the benefit when it’s finalized?

Workouts today? 30 of resistance/core + 30 of cardio!! According to BodyBugg, I burned just over 5,000 calories on Monday, and about 4,500 yesterday! So I’m totally fired up with getting another awesome workout in today!! I think today is a leftover day…time to use up stuff in the fridge, ya know?

October 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Yes Josh! They’re stuffed grape leaves, but I can’t remember what they’re called. I’ll ask Cal again..=)

MissJ
    October 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

I recently lost my Mother, and Hospice was a huge comfort during her last weeks and days. The Chaplain was likely sent was to provide another resource to your Uncle and the rest of your family. The Chaplain that was sent to our family helped to prepare my family for the things that lay ahead some of which are disturbing. One time I told her “I hope I’m strong enough to be with her when she dies”, and the Champlain told me that she hoped I would be as leaving this earth is physical work involving letting go, and that my Mom needed me and might need coaching. She read words from the Bible on her last day, as hearing is the last sense to remain.

Hospice nurses are there to be sure that the patient is in no pain. Chaplains are there to help pave the road to Heaven. I learned so much from being with my Mom thanks to the help of Hospice. May God be with your family and especially with your Uncle.

October 21, 2011 at 2:09 am

I understand why he was sent, but he was sent on a day that my uncle went outside to get fresh air. He’s doing better than expected so he needs to be treated as opposed to left at home without a nurse.

My family and I appreciate hospice, but it was disheartening none-the-less.

I’m so sorry for your loss…

Gail @ Shrinking Sisters
    October 19, 2011 at 9:32 am

That fruit (a type of citron) is great if you need a lot of zest or want to make marmalade. I’ve seen ’em in stores down here, too.

October 21, 2011 at 2:09 am

I love Whole Foods because I almost always find something new and awesome to try there! 🙂

David (Keep it up, David)
    October 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

BUDDHA’S HAND! They’re one of the coolest pieces of fruit I’ve ever seen. Ive cooked with it, too – last December I put together two different posts about what to do with it.

I tried candying it:
    (which was really good, and lasted a few months in an airtight container)

And I tried a chicken and vegetables dish with a Buddha’s Hand sauce:

It’s a winter fruit, like most citrus, and if I see them this year, I’m going to buy a couple just to keep as centerpieces. I could stare at them all day!
    -David

October 21, 2011 at 2:10 am

And this is why it’s easy to love you….well, among other reasons including your sheer awesomeness! =) I’d love to have a couple as centerpieces too! Great idea David! =)

Anne Schexnaydre
    October 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Hi Kenlie …
    Joshua (the smaller twin) would FIGHT you for that plate!
    I make him what we call a “fresh plate” … tomatoes, boiled eggs, chicken, pickles, cheese … looks much like your plate. He would LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!
    My work out today …
    30 minutes on the Treadmill – 15 incline (thought I was going to DIE, but lived to tell about it, 15 minutes on the eliptical, abs, then back to the treadmill for another 15 minutes (no incline, high speed).
    I feel awesome !!!!!!!!! Great workout !!!!!!!!!
    Miss chatting with you ! I have been on the run ….boys, work, my dad, working out …. you know … life !

October 21, 2011 at 2:11 am

Now that I’ve met Jacob and Joshua, it’s easy to distinguish between them! 🙂 He’d be welcome to have my food anytime! 🙂

15 incline?!?! Whoa! You’re on fire lady! Keep it up!

Tammy
    October 19, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I have never seen that fruit before, and it creeps me out! I think it looks like the Grinch! I had to look it up on Wikipedia after someone posted the name!

October 21, 2011 at 2:11 am

Hahaha no wonder I like it. I love the Grinch…well, I love how his heart grows at the end. =)

Megan
    October 20, 2011 at 2:57 am

From what you’ve shared about Uncle Wesley, it could be that God sent the chaplain to learn from him. It may have been less about what Wesley needed and more about what the chaplain could gain.

October 21, 2011 at 2:12 am

Wow, I never considered that, but you could be absolutely right. There is much to learn from my uncle…

nikkianne
    October 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Sav B is my fave white wine too! Thanks for sharing about Disability Awareness Month – it’s important!

October 21, 2011 at 2:13 am

It is important, and I think people need to be aware which means I’ll, of course, share my feelings on it. 😉 Thanks for listening and being so supportive!

Sqeeeeeee!
    November 9, 2011 at 12:19 am

[…] to guys who are extraordinarily intelligent, and he fits the bill there too.  In an earlier post, I mentioned that he knows the origin of odd produce (I find that attractive too, right […]