Fundraising Questions

My mind is swirling with things that are unrelated to weight-loss, but today is weigh-in day so it will be on my mind at some point.  I’m just busy with a variety of things, including this event that’s happening for my uncle on October 30th.

Aunt Janice and I are organizing a charity bake sale for  Uncle Wesley which will be held at the fundraiser that my family is hosting next week, and I don’t have much experience in this so I’m asking for your advice.  I know that many of you have experience with these things so I’m going to share my questions, and I’d love for you to weigh in with what you know.  The first group of questions is related to the bake sale, and the second set will be about the fundraiser.

Bake Sale…

1. How much should we charge for a dozen sugar cookies like the ones I made last week?  They’re about 3 inches in diameter.

Yep..I'm showing you again...

2. How much should we charge for bigger, single cookies? Should that even be an option?

3. How should we package the dozens?  I know that I can use clear bags for the single cookies like the ones in picture below, but I’d like to keep my costs as low as possible so I can maximize the money that will be donated to Uncle W.

4. How much should I charge for cupcakes? I plan to bake homemade inside out German Chocolate minis and regulars with homemade cream cheese frosting.

And now about the fundraiser…

I guess I don’t really have questions about this because it seems pretty simple.  We’re having a spaghetti dinner, and we’re trying to find food and monetary donations which will become my job in the coming days.  I’m going to speak to the pastor of a large church in town hoping that he’ll allow me to invite his congregation to the benefit so wish me luck with that.

What’s on your mind today?

Eliza
    October 20, 2011 at 6:40 am

Hi Kenlie, here are my suggestions:
    1. $4 per dozen ($5/dzn if you use a small basket-see #3)
    2. $1 per cookie – it is after all a fundraiser!
    3. Either use dollar store small baskets or use tissue paper to make a puffy-cloud-type holder and sit cookies on it. You can cellophane wrap the whole package – very pretty.
    4. Mini cupcakes – $1.50 and regular (at least) $2.50

For the cupcakes, you could also make a sign that states the single prices but ‘buy 3 for $4 (mini) or $6 (reg)’

You could even try putting together something to raffle off and make extra money that way. Perhaps a dozen mini cupcakes and charge $1 per ticket/$5 for 10 tickets. You can potentially make over $100 for something that would have been charged for $18.00 (12 single mini x $1.50).

Hope this helps.
    Eliza

October 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Thank you for the input Eliza! We are having an auction too and raffles every hour…:)

Peg
    October 20, 2011 at 8:51 am

It is a fundraiser for a good cause, so people will pay a little more, especially if they are presented attractively. Go with the colored cellophane and ribbon and I’d price at $6.00/doz and $1 per larger single cookie.

I’d hit the grocery stores in the area for food donations and let them know that you will be posting a sign giving them credit for helping to sponsor the fundraiser. I’d also have family members/friends set up intros with the HR departments where they work. You’re more likely to get a financial donation from a company if there is a warm intro.

Good luck and prayers are with you and your family.

October 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I definitely want them to be wrapped attractively..

IrishChaos
    October 20, 2011 at 10:51 am

Kenlie, We’ve done several fundraisers for my nephew who had a bone marrow transplant. Get grocery stores(Walmart is usually very generous, along with smaller stores) to donate the products you need for the baking. That way you don’t have to use any of the donations for the making of the product. Many businesses will offer their services(hair salons, nail places, the list is endless) that you can raffle off. With ours, most people who bought the raffle tickets for prizes wrote my nephew’s name on the back of the ticket, so he was a double winner! One business donated all the spaghetti sauce, already made. A grocery store donated all the desserts, another donated bread for the garlic bread. We made thousands at our benefit dinner and I would say a huge part of that came from the raffle. Anything else I can help you with, send me an email or contact me on Twitter. Hope it goes very well!

October 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Wow..I never even considered reaching out to Wal-mart for a donation, but I will now! Definitely! I don’t mind supplying the baking things, but I need to spaghetti and sides donated… definitely. Thank you so much!

Summer
    October 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hi Kenlie! This is my first time commenting, but I have been following for a little while. Do you know approximately how much it costs you to make the cookies? I guess if you get the supplies needed donated to make them then that part doesn’t matter. My suggestions are close to Eliza’s price wise. I would also suggest placing a basket or something for people who just want to donate money. Also, if you have enough time it might be possible to have some local companies donate items for either a raffle or silent auction. I wish you and your family much success!

October 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm

A basket for donations is fantastic…Thank you!

Jodi
    October 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Kenlie is there a place to donate online for your uncle?

October 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yes Jodi, there is…I haven’t shared the link because I don’t know if it’s appropriate or not…What do you think?

Jodi
    October 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I think you should share it. Every little bit helps and not all of us can attend fundraisers. I would like to make a donation. If people don’t want too or aren’t able too that’s okay too! I just like to help out when I can.

October 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Jodi!

Tim
        October 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I was just about to ask the same question as Jodi. I’d be happy to donate if it’s possible.

If you tweet the link then maybe people can retweet it too?

October 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Thank you Tim. That makes my heart smile! =)

Dacia
    October 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm

How can we donate? I love the cookie idea but I would prefer just to give the money to the charity and skip the cookies.

October 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Wow Dacia..that is incredible. Thank you. I’m not sure how to set it up, but I know there’s a way so I’ll check into it this evening when I can speak to my family about it.

I haven’t asked for donations on my blog because you all do so much for me already with every supportive comment. I’m just overwhelmed and humbled…thank you so much…

Barbara
    October 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I a regular reader/not so often commenter, but PLEASE post a link as to where I could donate. I’m sure many of your other readers would donate as well.

October 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Oh Barbara! I appreciate this so much. I’ll try to figure out a plan tonight…thank you so much!

Stephanie O
    October 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Alex’s Lemonade Stand is an organization that raises money for fighting childhood cancer by encouraging fundraising with lemonade stands. They have a whole “how to organize your event” packet on their site: http://www.alexslemonade.org/sites/default/files/downloads/Hold%20Your%20Stand%20Packet%206.22.11%20-%20web.pdf

In particular, they suggest that you *don’t* put a price on the lemonade and other goodies, just ask for a donation. They think this makes people act more generously. Good luck!

October 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Interesting concept! Thank you so much..I’ll look at the packet right now!

Karen
      October 21, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I think “no pricing” works great for something inexpensive to produce, like lemonade. It could backfire badly though for baked goods, which are so much more expensive & time-consuming to make. While it might inspire generosity in some, it might inspire the Ebenezer Cheapskate in others and you could end up giving things away for cost-of-production (or less), which would defeat the purpose.

October 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm

That’s a good point Karen, and I think you’re right. Thanks for sharing!

Karen
    October 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I did a bake sale to raise money for Dana Farber Cancer Institute last month after my dad passed away, when I participated in their Jimmy Fund Boston Marathon Walk. I set it up as an Event on my FB page, and invited all my FB friends to donate, and to thank them, I’d send baked goods. Here’s the structure I used:

Donation Amt. —–> Baked Treat
    $13.10 ($0.50/mile): Bakers Dozen (13) homemade choc. chip cookies
    $26.20 ($1/mile): 2 Bakers Dozen homemade choc. chip cookies
    $50: 1 lb. homemade fudge
    $100: homemade banana bread or chocolate cake.

Using this structure, I raised over $1000 for DFCI. So I think Eliza’s prices are on the low side.

For you, I’d suggest setting these prices for your items:
    Dozen frosted sugar cookies: $15-$20
    Large decorated cookie: $5
    Mini cupcakes: $3
    Standard cupcakes: $5

For packaging the dozen cookies, could you buy a bunch of disposable, cheap chinese take-out containers? Otherwise, I’d head to a craft store and see what they have that’s cheap, but stackable if you’re setting up a table to sell from.

October 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Packing has been pledged by one of my blog readers, and I’m thrilled by that. Now I can concentrate on baking and pricing! 🙂

Foodie McBody
    October 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Those cookies are so beautiful!!!!!!!!