I Know It’s October, But…

The last couple of days have been great, and I’m officially excited about Fall.  It’s my favorite season because of the crisp mornings, the array of squashes found at the supermarket (love every kind of squash I’ve ever tasted) and college football.  And at this time of year, I start preparing for the holidays.

I went to Hobby Lobby and Bed, Bath and Beyond today with Mom yesterday, and they already had Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations all over.  And I love it, and Mom loves it too.  (Sorry, Kelly..ha)

I love the holidays, and I also love the anticipation that starts building for me in October.  I love cheesy movies, baking cookies and making candy and Christmas music.  Yes, I realize that it’s October, but it’s who I am. =)  Tomorrow, after our trip to the gym, Mom and I plan to venture out to explore other stores with Christmas displays.  See? I come by it honestly. 😉

Christmas 2008 at Macy's on 34th St, NYC

I bake sugar cookies (among other things) every year, but sugar cookies are one of my favorites because I like decorating them more than I like eating them.  I can pass by cookies on the counter without feeling the need to eat them though it’s harder for me to pass up cupcakes.

This year, I’m trying new recipes for cookie frosting because somewhere along the line, I lost my favorite.  I found one today that is very similar, and it seemed to work though it still needs to be adjusted a little.  I want my cookies to look and taste great before the benefit that my family is hosting for my Uncle Wesley at the end of the month.

My latest frosting attempt...It needs work. 😉

I was out of icing bags so I used ziploc bags. Ha...

I typically bake sweet treats and make candy over the holidays, but this year it’s starting early.  I plan to share them at a benefit at the end of the month so it’s important to create a plan of attack before the parties begin.  I wrote about it during my first year of weight-loss, and I think it’s important to remember what worked so I can do it again.  Here’s an excerpt from a post I wrote in December of 2009:

Over Thanksgiving I learned that I could eat things that I enjoy without gaining weight, and I plan to do that again over the Christmas holidays. Baking, making homemade candy and fudge and parties can be challenging though I try to remind myself that the next bite will taste like the last. And so far, it has worked for me.

This is really good advice to give to myself because it applies everyday, and in the past, I’ve proven that it works. And now it’s time to prove it to myself again.  I’m a firm believer in living life and enjoying it, obviously.  But I also know that it’s important to remember that I have goals if I want to achieve them, and I do.  I made great strides (including solid losses on the scale) in September, and I’m going to stop letting one week define how I feel about my progress.

So while it’s only mid-October, it’s never too early to start preparing mentally.  I’m working on a list of things that I can do to make it through the holidays without a hitch, and I’ll share that list in detail at some point later.  Until then, I’m going to keep trying to perfect my recipes and remind myself that each healthy decision I make will lead to a longer, healthier, holiday-filled life.

Becki
    October 16, 2011 at 9:46 am

I think this is great. It seems that you have really learned a lot about yourself. That is so wonderful.

October 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I have….still learning though. =)

BrandyRelaxing
    October 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I love your thought process “The next bite will taste like the last”. That’s perfect! I don’t know why I never thought about it that way before! Brilliant!

October 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Thanks Brandy. It works when I remind myself that it’s true..

Steelers6
    October 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I await your list of tips. 🙂

I think the cookies look really nice. I’m wondering what needs to be perfected. They look wonderful!

Chrissy

Xazmin
    October 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I’m with YOU! I am listening to Christmas music right now. I get so giddy about the Holidays. I love the feeling, the atmosphere, the smells, the music and lights…all of it!

October 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I LOVE that!!!!!!! =0)

Bella
    October 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I think your cookies look great – much more professional than anything I’ve ever done.

Making a plan of attack for the upcoming holidays and other festivities is a great idea. I’m going to do the same thing this week before I head down to the Love Your Body event in LA this next weekend.

Monique Seibel
    October 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Those cookies look SO good! I love it.

Laurie
    October 16, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I love your attitude. All the food around the holidays scare me and I DON’T even celebrate Christmas, but it doesn’t stop me from being around all the goods.
    I think your cookies look AWESOME! Keep showing us as you move through all of your creations.

Kris
    October 17, 2011 at 3:17 am

Those cookies are adorable!

I had to give up making most types of holiday baking – my kids and hubby don’t each much of any of them, and I will eat them if they are there – can we say trigger food?

So I try to get my fill of the holiday feeling with lots of carols and decorating the house instead. 🙂

Good luck with your fundraiser!

Brooke
    October 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Holidays are such a struggle. Its all based around food. Well, at least with my family it is. Christmas is super hard for me b/c we go into my grandparents for a weekend and well………they live in a secluded area, so the extent of a day is sitting around in an 80 degree house (wood stove) and eating carbs. Yep….oh and lots of soda too or “pop” as they call it. I always put on pounds when I go. Both sides of my family have weight problems and that side seems to do things worse b/c there is a lot of emotions running wild with a aunt who died around that time and my grandmother bed ridden from a stroke for the past five years.

Last year I did much better than I ever have before. It was just pure will power. But the thing I try to remember is……….The holidays are NOT about food, that’s just a bit of the glue that brings us together. Its about being with the ones you love. I’m sure this year will be exceptionally hard for your family with your uncle, but that should emphasis the point even more. Cherish your family, not food. Ask questions and listen to stories, make a point to sit down and talk with every family member. When you are busy enjoying the people….the food will not be as important and those memories will last a lot longer than the food.