Bicycle Exercise Lifestyle weight loss

Riding Into 2012?

I want to be more than just a skinny girl.  Losing weight is obviously my biggest goal, but another equally important goal is having a healthy heart and a capable body.  So, for me, fitness is a big part of this journey too.  And when Trek graced my world with this incredible bicycle, some of my goals became crystal clear.  I want to create a healthier, more active lifestyle for myself, and I want to accomplish things that seemed impossible before.  I want to love myself more, and I want to love the earth more.  And riding my bike is helping me accomplish those things.

As someone who is appalled by driving in traffic (I can thank NYC for spoiling me) I’m always happy to bike somewhere as opposed to driving.  And biking only a few hours per week can dramatically improve our heart health and lower the chances of having a stroke.  And after a little research (courtesy of Trek) I learned that a 2-mile commute can translate into several tanks of gas that I won’t have to purchase which is awesome for my wallet and the environment.  And that same commute would lead to a 10 pound weight-loss for someone who didn’t change any other habits.   Obviously, biking is a great way to make myself healthier and to give the enviroment a break so I want to share some of my goals for 2012.

My original plan was to complete a triathlon in the fall, but I’m not ready.  After moving and settling into a new city, I know I need more time for training. And I need to find a new race so I’ve decided to train over the winter (which shouldn’t be hard in The Big Easy) so I can complete my first triathlon in the Spring.  And while it may sound crazy now, I also want to work on completing a century race.  Yes…I want to bike 100 miles someday, and I’m reasonably sure that ‘someday’ could happen 2012!  I’ll probably do a duathalon or two along the way because that seems like a great place to start.

There are few things I enjoy as much as riding my bike, and I’m ready to challenge myself to take it to the next level.  My goal over the next month is to get comfortable biking 10 miles at a time.  That seems like a big goal to me, but I won’t really know what I’m capable of until I try.  I’m pretty confident that I can ride further than that already, but I want to feel good at the end.  We’ll see how that goes!

My goals have been big from day one of this journey, and it’s time to embrace some new challenges so wish me luck!  I’ll keep you posted!

Joshua
    October 7, 2011 at 7:17 am

I used to ride my bike ALL the time. I loved it. Then, I got too big, and now, I’m actually scared that I’ll break it. By spring, I’ll be back on my bike, though!

I would think that a century would be easier than a tri. But, the century has always had more appeal to me than a triathlon. I’ve always wanted to do 100 miles, too.

Best of luck to you, Kenlie! I’m cheering for you!

October 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I had the same fears when I started losing weight too Josh, and it was an awesome realization to recognize that I wasn’t going to be breaking any bike frames. I’m guessing that I’m heavier than you now too, and my bike is super light…but it’s not going anywhere. You might be surprised!

marthabilski
    October 7, 2011 at 7:57 am

If you have an iPhone there is an app I use for measuring my rides. there are a few out there. I find it very motivating to measure how may miles I actually do bike and run. I have run 125 miles since may23-when I could not put together more than thirty seconds. got on you bike a ride like the wind! you will be surprised how fast the miles add up!

October 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I’d love to know about the app you’re using. I use Nike+ for running and walking, but I’ve never used an app for biking!

Lisa
    October 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

What awesome goals! Good for you!

October 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Lisa!

Sarah
    October 7, 2011 at 10:32 am

I hope you enjoy the biking! I would like to do that too, but I’m trying to work on walking more and walking faster! After that I might try biking! I totally agree that losing weight is important, but being healthy and active is also such a huge part of the equation!

Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

October 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I already enjoy the biking so much! I’m assuming I’ll only like it more as I continue becoming more fit. =)

Having goals, whether they’re walking, running, biking, swimming, etc. is awesome! Keep it up Sarah!

PlusStyle
    October 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

I find bike riding a great way to use different muscles and get in a quick workout fast but traffic is always an issue. Love that you are wearing a HELMET! Safety first. I used to do some mountain biking but have gotten away from it because it requires loading the bike in the car and driving somewhere first – much more planning than I usually allow time for.

Jill
    October 8, 2011 at 11:36 am

I miss bike riding 🙁 ….can’t really do that in my area.

D
    October 9, 2011 at 12:49 am

I’ve just moved to a much flatter area, not far from the beach and a coastal bike path, I’d love to have a bike but at over 300lbs I’m terrified of breaking one and dealing with the embarrassment of getting it fixed or explaining to people why I’m no longer riding it. Can’t wait to get down to a place where I’m comfortable getting one (I know I will), you look very happy on yours and certainly give the impression you’re loving it 🙂

Bella
    October 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm

If you choose a path that has great scenery, you’ll be surprised by how far you can bike in a relatively short amount of time. Good luck on all of your goals – they’re great ones.