Friends Who Understand, A Great Workout and A Plan

Yesterday I did some things that I don’t ususally do – some good things and some things that I wish I didn’t have to admit.  Let’s start with the things that I wish I didn’t have to talk about…my weekly weigh-in.  I skipped it.  Yep, that’s right.  For the first time since joining Weight Watchers in 2009, I skipped a weigh-in because I didn’t want to deal with the numbers on the scale.

As a monthly pass member, Weight Watchers allows me to attend unlimited meetings, and they don’t require a weigh-in to attend.  I just didn’t do it, and this behavior is a slippery slope that I am not willing to slide down so I’m saying it now – I will NOT skip another regularly scheduled meeting because I don’t feel like facing the music.  I just won’t do it so feel free to hold me to it.  Over the last week, my choices became progressively worse until yesterday when I decided that enough was enough.  Now I have to do it again tomorrow.

I also did something that made me feel good about myself.  I took Anne’s advice, and set a challenging fitness goal for myself.  I hit the gym and completed 10 miles on the bike, pedaling as fast as I could.  It takes me 5 1/2 minutes to do a mile which added up to a great cardio workout followed by 100 crunches.  I know I should feel good about being able to do 10 miles on a bike without much effort, and I do.  But I thought I’d feel exhausted, but I didn’t.  I think I’ll have to try 20 miles when I’m back at the gym Monday.  Until then, I plan to do my favorite Richard Simmons workout, “Party Off the Pounds.”

I’m traveling again tomorrow which means that I’ll have the opportunity to prove to myself that I can make healthy choices even when I’m away from home.  I’ll bring a gigantic English cucumber, grapes and bananas.  And this time, Cal is coming with me, and I think we’ll spend some time ruminating over his ideas to change my palate.  I think it’s okay to like sweets, but I don’t think it’s okay to let them consume my mind or control my actions as they sometimes do.

With the holidays quickly approaching, I’ve come up with a plan that will (hopefully) help me stay in control of my cravings and food intake.  Chubby McGee, one of my favorite blog friends (check out her blog here) spurred a thought for me that has turned into action, and it worked well yesterday so I’ll do it again tomorrow.  She said that she loves cupcakes so she allows herself to have one every week.  She budgets for it in her intake, and she walks to the bakery and back to get it.  By the way, I’ve done that before, and I think it’s a brilliant plan.

And her comment made me think about something that I did during my first year of weight-loss.  I ate fruits and veggies and lean proteins along with foods that were high in fiber.  I exercised regularly, and I ate a piece of cake almost every night.  Yep…I did it.  I had a serving of cake (7 points at the time) for dessert almost every evening, and it took a lot of pressure off.  I didn’t worry about skipping ice cream when my friends ate it, and driving past a bakery was no big deal because I told myself I’d enjoy something sweet later.  And it worked.   it allowed me to focus on everything I was trying to accomplish without the fear of eating too much later.

So that’s my new plan, kind of.  I don’t plan to eat cake everyday, but I will allow myself to have something sweet everyday, at least for now.  I have more than enough PointsPlus to eat nutritiously and stay satisfied while enjoying  half of a cupcake or a Kit-Kat.  I have me entire life to reform my nutritional intake and to figure out why I crave sweet treats, but I don’t want to spend my entire life trying to reach my weight-loss goal.  I’d rather do what I can to reach that goal asap and worry about the rest along the way.

So in addition to working out hard, I’m going to eat healthy foods that are rich in vitamins and nutrients – and have something sweet everyday.  That’s my plan, and I think it’s going to help me get through the holidays with success just as it did the first year.  Obviously, I’m no pro.  I’m just a girl who’s trying to figure it all out, and I have a feeling that while I might get a little flack for it, this plan is going to get me closer to where I want to be.

mary
    November 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

oh girlie i can so relate…we are in this together
    i am rooting for you!

November 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

Thank you Mary!

auntiekim
    November 18, 2011 at 9:49 am

I hope you find what works for you. I have a treat every day, too. But now my treats consist of Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers ice creams, or 100 calorie packs of cookies, etc. I admire those who don’t have a sweet tooth. I do, so I’ve learned how to manage it so that it doesn’t rule my life. And like you, I ADORE cupcakes. I will occasionally get one, and by occasionally I mean once every couple of months or so, and then I eat half of it one day and half the next. It was hard at first, but it’s not hard anymore 🙂

November 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

I LOVE the WW ice cream sandwiches…that sounds like a perfect plan…

Sarah
    November 18, 2011 at 10:22 am

I am right there with you! I have such a major sweet tooth, that when I started WW back in September, the thought of never indulging in my sweet tooth again scared me, almost out of signing up. But I’ve learned to budget for it, so every night since I began this journey, at about 8pm I pour myself one cup of fat-free milk and have either 2 weight watcher chocolate creme mini-cakes or one of their 4-point ice cream cups. It works for me. You’ll find what works for you in your journey.

November 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

What works for me has changed so much so my plan to go to back to what worked in the beginning….thank you!

Peg
    November 19, 2011 at 10:11 am

It is hard, but as long as you keep trying you’ll eventually get there! The reason most diets don’t work is because you don’t eat in a way that can be sustained over time. Enjoy your treat!

November 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

I will enjoy my treats..:)

Nina
    November 19, 2011 at 11:00 am

I completely believe in eating a variety of foods – unless of course you have some major allergy …

I am getting better at knowing when I have splurged a little too much, and then I cut back on other things. What I really love is the new Starbucks mini- deserts. Not a day goes by that I do not have a little cupcake or maybe a cake pop. (Not always, but at least a few times a week.) I also keep single-serving frozen yogurt cups.

I think I allow myself around 200 cals a day for something fun.

The rest of the time I eat mostly good.

Right now I am annoyed because I am stuck on the scale … but usually this means a couple of weeks of that and then a nice drop. I will say my clothes are feeling a lot better.

What I have also started doing is wearing jeans in a size down, or cut that are not quite roomy as soon as I can … but don’t look painted on – obviously! I stick with the same pair of jeans on Fridays as long as I can, since I can wear them to work for casual day.

Over the weeks I can see how the pants go from “fitting” me to baggy. (At first it wasn’t a conscious thing, mainly I could usually only find one pair of jeans I liked to wear – but when I started having to buy new ones in smaller sizes I sort of started thinking it was cool to be more active in down-sizing my work clothes.) It’s just a good weekly reminder of how far I have come and where I am going.

November 21, 2011 at 11:59 am

Your jeans strategy is awesome! I love it! I bought new jeans last week too, and it felt incredible to finally need a smaller size again. 🙂

Tim
    November 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I hate denying myself things because it makes me want them a lot more but by allowing yourself something in moderation then I personally think it’s a good idea in the long run and helps keep us motivated to achieve our overall goal and prevent less binge eating.

November 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I think you’re absolutely right Timmo!

Tim
    November 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm

BTW, I had to google ‘English Cucumber’ which I thought was funny. Do you have other types of cucumbers in the USA or are they just generally known as that throughout the States?

November 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

We do have other types of cucumbers….English cucumbers are my favorite because they don’t have as many seeds. 🙂

Angela
    November 21, 2011 at 9:31 am

My something sweet I constantly crave is Reese’s PB Cups…..I have a bag of them in the refrigerator and are totally worth the 3 pointsplus if I want one (sometimes 2 for 6 hehe). If I don’t have any in the house I will only get some if I walk to the store for them (the long way) and I usually get the dark chocolate ones (hey flavanoids lol). I think fitting in sweets while losing weight is very important and I’d never give them up, I just pick and choose which ones I cannot live without….or I find suitable substitutes for them.

November 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Reese’s….love them. That is all.

Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife
    November 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Having friends who understand… is IMPERATIVE!!!!! I wouldn’t be able to do this without the support I have! I love our support group! Love you!

November 21, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Love you too! (((((((hugs)))))))

Elanor
    November 23, 2011 at 12:32 am

Firstly, I am a cake addict and have scheduled my sweet treat for once a week. I really look forward to it!

Secondly, have you been told about the theory that sugar is addictive? So if you are eating a lot of it then cut down your body starts to complain! Substituting real sugar for a sugar replacement (Equal, Splenda etc) also confuses your body as your brain says “we ate sugar” so your stomach is going “where is it??” making you crave even more sugar. So diet drinks are meant to make you fat (or so the tv now tells me).

Not sure how true that is or not but a sugar free / detox fortnight might be a thought??