Lifestyle Weigh-In weight loss

A New Philosophy (Because the Numbers Do Matter)

A couple of weeks ago, I said that my short-term goal was to lose 14 pounds, and that’s still my goal.  I knew it would be a lofty goal to achieve over the holidays, but I’ve decided that the time line isn’t as important as I was making it.  And after talking with Cal’s mom, Patti, last week I’ve decided to try something different.

It is common knowledge to many of you that Weight Watchers recommends losing half a pound to two pounds per week, but that doesn’t seem like much at all when losing 100 feels like it has barely made a dent.  But the truth is that time flies, and two pounds a week added up over a year would bring me into the 100’s – something that seems completely foreign to me right now.

So while my immediate goal is to reach 279 – a magic number in my mind, I’m going to spend more time focusing on tiny goals like 2 pounds per weigh-in, and that will be enough.  Patti, a successful, self-made real estate broker who owns a few different real estate offices and kicks butt at everything she does, lost 50 pounds by focusing on two pounds each week, and I know that would be less overwhelming for me too.

I’m hoping (and expecting, I think) to see a loss at my next weigh-in which will be the Thursday after Christmas.  Two pounds would be awesome, but any loss over the holidays would be nice.  (I say this as I’m about to indulge in a small piece of carrot cake that I made from scratch earlier this week.)

We had company...

I swam laps again yesterday, and I really wish I owned an Olympic size pool.  Of course, I’d be content just living close enough to swim regularly at the YMCA.   Until then, I’ll keep using the elliptical and treadmill and weights at Anytime Fitness.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.  Hasta luego mis amigos. (I’m learning Spanish, remember?)

Beunas Noches!

DesertNails8
    December 21, 2011 at 12:40 am

I’m very glad to hear you have chosen a smarter & realistic timeline. Have wonderful holidays!!

December 22, 2011 at 12:01 am

Smarter and more realistic is definitely better…agreed.

Ryan Yewell
    December 21, 2011 at 3:27 am

Hola Amiga. Ciao Bella. Salut mon ami.

Happy merry holiday Xmas AKA Christmas, eh?

December 22, 2011 at 12:01 am

=)

Tammy
    December 21, 2011 at 7:38 am

My WW leaders have always encouraged setting small goals, so I think you are still within the WW philosophy. Most of the leaders said they never thought beyond the next 5 pounds because the total number of pounds they needed to lose was too overwhelming to consider. Good luck with your next weigh in. My WW group won’t meet again until we start a new session on Jan. 4.

December 22, 2011 at 12:02 am

I definitely remember doing that and having success. It just seems so foreign right now. Trying again….err, still…

Nikki
    December 21, 2011 at 8:26 am

Good luck reaching your goals! 🙂

2 pounds here and there add up quickly and I’m glad that you’re focusing on the immediate 🙂 It’s much more satisfying to celebrate a small victory than lament over a “failure” because you didn’t reach a more ambitious (and difficult) goal.

I made every pound lost a victory and before I knew it I had lost 66 pounds!

December 22, 2011 at 12:03 am

Yeah…I did that during the first 100 pounds, and now I want to do it again.

auntiekim
    December 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

I lost 100 pounds this year, so that averages 2 pounds a week. Sure, there were weeks with larger losses and weeks of stalls, but it all evens out in the end. When we have a lot to lose it’s hard to be content with the small losses, but they add up!! Don’t lose sight of that. Happy holidays, my dear. Here’s to continued weight loss success for us all in 2012!

December 22, 2011 at 12:04 am

Congrats Kim…! I lost 100 over a year during the first year, and it evened out in the same way…Now I just have to do it again to add to my total number..sigh..:)

Hyla
    December 21, 2011 at 10:44 am

You can do it. I think the change in the way you are thinking about it will help alot!

Steelers6
    December 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hey, good to hear from you. Feliz Navidad! How are you learning Spanish? Have you enrolled in a class? Mine is high school Spanish. My sons also studied Spanish in HS, so they know some, and my daughter is learning French. Love to hear her talk and sing in French. 🙂
    Chrissy

December 22, 2011 at 12:05 am

I studied Spanish in high school so I know a little bit, but I want to be fluent like Kelly and Cal….I have a long way to go, but I think I can do that too. 🙂

Anne
    December 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Great plan !! And speaking of plans and goals …. in my humble opinion … as long as you HAVE a plan or goal …. and are working on it … that is what counts! Even if you change that plan or goal every few weeks … at least you were working toward something. GOOD PLAN !!!!!!!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS (No Hablo Espanol)

December 22, 2011 at 12:06 am

Merry Christmas Anne! I miss you tons! Can’t wait to see you! xoxo

Maren
    December 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I think that’s a great angle on weight loss, that’s how I try to go about it. I can’t think about the HUGE number I need to lose.. But 1-2lb a week, that we can do!

Lily Fluffbottom
    December 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

When it gets warmer out, I think I’m going to start swimming laps at my local university. And buy a bike so I can ride home.

December 22, 2011 at 12:12 am

Riding my bike is such a liberating feeling, and swimming is the same…I definitely recommend it!

Nina Patricia
    December 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Thank you for that perspective. I think if I do that then I will, finally, reach my goals (15lbs by March)
    Buenas Noches, espero que sigas aprendiendo Espanol

December 22, 2011 at 12:15 am

Aww gracias Nina! 🙂

Staying MOtivated MO
    December 21, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Happy Happy and Merry Merry to you and your family!!

Small goals are the key. I don’t look at my larger number and not sure when I will actually look to see what my final goal will be. I am loving the blog challenges that people have on month basis, that is always a good small goal where it adds up to my long term goals!!

Looking forward to seeing your little numbers adding up to large ones!!

MO

December 22, 2011 at 12:16 am

I’d like to see the little numbers add up some more….here’s to trying again!

Bella
    December 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I think looking at it in smaller pieces is a great idea. While 100 lbs sounds daunting, 2 lbs seems completely do able. Multiply that by 52 and you’re at your ultimate goal. Patti sounds like she’s got a good head on her shoulders.

December 22, 2011 at 12:18 am

She certainly does……..

Nina
    December 21, 2011 at 11:47 pm

That is great to hear – I think the focus should always be on being the best to yourself each day. The world keeps rocking regardless and any step forward is a good thing … and everything adds up over time!

I am there with you on anxious part, I am working really hard and the scale has been stuck! Though being stuck is so much better than the alternative!!! Hope you have a great Christmas – sounds like you already are!!! =)

Linda
    December 22, 2011 at 9:54 am

Have you ever seen the hilarious movie What About Bob? (stay with me here). The mantra I have long ago adopted form that movie is “Baby Steps”. Every obstacle since then, I have attacked with ‘baby steps’. Seems you’re doing that now. It works! It really, truly does.
    ~ lmk

Jessie
    December 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I don’t know if what works for me will work for you, but once I stopped focusing on “dieting”, “only eating certain things”, “not eating certain things”….etc. I began to lose weight. I started thinking about other things in life – hobbies, personal relationships, etc. and just stopped obssessing about food and losing weight, my body took over and naturally lost weight. It was slow, but it happened. I do eat more healthy meals than not, still treat myself if I feel like it, eliminated most junk food, did not track what I ate, only tried to make sure that most choices were healthy, didn’t count calories, didn’t weigh food, didn’t control portions – I just “LET GO” of the obsession of losing weight – sometimes we use that obsession to cover up the real problems that we don’t want to face. Just some “food” for thought – pun intended!! Good luck to you!