Cal Weigh-In Weight Watchers

Keeping A Promise To Myself

Well, it’s weigh-in day, and I can tell you right now that it will not be pretty.  I will show a significant gain this week which made me consider skipping my weigh-in, but that’s not how it works.  I’m going! I ate and I exercised less, and now it’s time for the scale to reflect what I already know is coming.  For the record, I do think that going on and off of the birth control played into my gain a bit too, but the reasons don’t matter as much as the fact that I am back on track.

I don’t expect to undo several weeks of damage in two days.  (Sigh…I wish.)  Instead, I’m going to face the scale because I made a promise to myself, and I’m not going to let the yucky number piss me off, stress me out or impact what I’ve done this week.

I am back in the habit of exercising, tracking and being more mindful of everything I put it in my mouth.  I have tossed out the divinity, the fudge and the caramel cashew trail mix from Target that I’ve been waiting since September to eat.  The cookies that Mom and I made went to an office of folks that were more than willing to get them off of our hands, and they’ve been replaced with cabbage, sugar snap peas, raw nuts, grapefruits and other foods that are delicious AND healthy for me.

Regardless of the number on the scale (it’s going to be bad, remember? I’ve already peeked) I know that I’m on the right track.  I know that I’m living my healthiest life today.  I lived it yesterday, and I’ll do it again tomorrow.  And right now, that’s as far into the future as I need to go.

The fact remains that I started here……..

My friend, Gordon, and me in 2008.

And now I’m here…

With Cal now...

And I feel different…better.  But I’m far from finished.

The scale does not define me, but my actions do.  And my actions will be reflected when I step on the scale this evening.  But hey, it could be worse.  I worked out a few times while I was gone (elliptical and swimming laps.)  But as my trip progressed, so did my leniency.  I admit it, and I take responsibility for it.  And that’s really all I have to say about that…

Maren
    December 29, 2011 at 6:31 am

The scale does not define me, but my actions do. <- this is the truth!!! You have done so well in the past. You know HOW to do this, so now .. just continue in the right direction. 🙂

PlumPetals
    December 29, 2011 at 7:52 am

I totally agree with Maren’s comment — you have been super-successful in the past and you WILL be successful again. Don’t lose sight of the final goal 🙂

Michelle
    December 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

I just started following your blog and I know exactly what you are talking about in owing up to the scale. I was well on my way to meeting my goal weight(within 10 lbs) and in the past year, I have packed 40 lbs back on. I am very disappointed in myself, but I’m also aware that no one was holding a gun to my head and telling me to eat. I have tried everything but Weight Watchers–we are getting ready to move to DC in just a couple of weeks and when we get there I’m going to attend the meetings. Well, anyways, thanks for being my new inspiration!!

Jodi
    December 29, 2011 at 8:12 am

Kenlie,
    I think to lose the amount of weight you have lost shows that you can and will succeed! I know how hard it is to keep going. For me I felt like I would never finish and truthfully I haven’t. I will always have to watch what I eat. I do truly believe you can do it.

Jodi

Melissa (@StatOfLims)
    December 29, 2011 at 9:05 am

I don’t know if this will be helpful, or just obnoxious, but for me, I had a breakthrough when I realized that I’m not just maintaining this lifestyle “until I lose the next ‘X’ pounds.” I had this realization that I’m not eating healthy to get to my goal weight just so that I can eat however I want. This absolutely has to be my new norm, regardless of what I look like or what the numbers of the scale say. I’ll be honest, since changing the way I thought about dieting and weight loss, I haven’t lost a pound, but I feel fantastic. And I know that slowly, but surely, if I continue to eat healthy and exercise, my body will adjust my weight accordingly. Even though I still have a “goal weight” I no longer focus on the “goal” of weight loss. I just tell myself, “pursue healthy eating and fitness, and the rest will take care of itself.” And for me, that has been so liberating!

I hope this comes across as intended. Just one girl’s approach to getting out from underneath that horrible “starting again” feeling every time the numbers on a scale don’t reflect the work I’ve put in. Everyone has their way of doing it. And if tracking and weigh-ins work really well for you, keep on keeping on!

Anyway, congratulations on your amazing health improvements thus far, and I wish you continued success and happiness!

auntiekim
    December 29, 2011 at 9:42 am

‘The scale does not define me, but my actions do’ is pretty profound. My yoga teacher always says ‘Suffering is optional’ and I tell myself that all the time now. We all need little reminders and, personally, I find them very helpful. Probably a whole bunch of us cheated big time lately and now we’ll get back on track. We can do this! YOU can do this!

Emily
    December 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

Your transparency continually encourages me to keep going. I know you’ve never stated that you have it all together, but when I first started reading your blog, I thought that you had found the “secret” to success. It’s not a secret- it’s hard work, determination, commitment, transparency. Reading your blogs, I know I’m not alone in my struggles. I haven’t lost as much as you have (I’ve only lost 20 of the 105 I need to lose), but I’ve been on a plateau for four months now. I know the things I need to do (be diligent with tracking, be committed to working out regularly) and haven’t been doing them. I appreciate you, Kenlie.

Half Chinked
    December 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

you. are. beautiful.

Peg
    December 29, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’m in a similar place and I’m not looking forward to the scale on Monday. I know that I have a chance of mitigating some of my poor choices between now and Monday by eating right and getting in some intense exercise, but the scale isn’t going to be nice. Thank goodness each day offers us a new chance to make good choices! In truth, each time we make a choice we can make a good choice, no need to wait for a new day.

Bella
    December 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

Your attitude is excellent, and I know that’s going to spur you toward success. Good for you for not letting yourself slide on this weigh-in. Facing the scale and then moving past it is a great way to move into the new year. Bravo!

Mo
    December 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Your posts are always so encouraging to me. Can’t wait to read what you have to say or post or write about…call me crazy…but it does help me more then you know!! Wishing you good luck on the scale tonight and yes, it does not define you!! You have come far and we are going to go farther together!! Here’s to a successful 2012!!!

Staying MOtivated MO

Latina Barbi
    December 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Love your face!! I posted the same thing last week before and after face shots..amazing what weight does to us! MUAH!

Roz@weightingfor50
    December 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm

You are an inspiration Kenlie. Continued good health and happiness in 2012.

Jane at Keepingthepoundsoff.com
    December 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm

In the final analysis, our actions are the only things that will make a difference. We do not think ourselves healthy or thin. We do not wish away the pounds. We do not cry away the calories (okay, maybe some of the calories. A hours deep, heavy crying burns about 88 calories but it gets the sheets wet and causes deyhydration . . . .