Lifestyle Reflection

Resolutions?

It’s hard to believe that 2011 is almost over, but I’m looking forward t0 2012.  With each new year comes a new start, and while 2011 provided some incredible moments (good and bad) I’m ready to see what the new year will bring.  And if you’re reading this post, I have a question for you…

Are you going to make a New Year’s resolution?  If so, what will it be?

Kelly O
    December 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm

No. I tried the resolution thing, and like everyone else I wound up at the end of January in the same situation.

It may sound like semantics, but I’m setting goals for the year. SMART ones, mind you – specific, measurable, actionable, realistic, and time-sensitive. It’s helping me figure out where I want to be in December 2012 in relation to my health, my job, my family’s development, and all that jazz.

December 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Same here, Kelly. I’m going to blog about those goals later, but same here…It helps to formulate a plan that’s attainable whether it’s on January 1st or August 18…agreed.

Pam @ The Meltaways
    December 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I decided not to wait til January to try to make things about myself and my life better this year. No time like the present, you know?
    I bash no one who wants to use the day as a “fresh start” date, unless they use it as an excuse to put something off for a week, a month or longer. It has to be something deeper than just a passing whim or it will never take root and grow into the results that you want, though.
    I think some people bit off more than they an chew at one time and get discouraged and quit too quickly. I speak from experience here – the only resolution I ever kept was when I made one to never make another one. : )

December 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm

There’s definitely no time like the present….I agree…

Kris
    December 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Last year I took a different approach to resolutions. After years of failing at them (this year I will lose weight! No, really!… always a fail). I stopped a few years ago. Then for 2011, I sat down and wrote out five specific, measurable goals, and attempted to put together a detailed plan for making them happen. I was fairly successful at 3 of them. Two failed. Not bad!

For 2012, I’m doing the same thing – setting specific goals and creating plans that improve my potential for completing them! I’m still working on those goals right now, though. 🙂

Although it’s an arbitrary thing, I like the idea of taking stock once a year, to reflect on the year that has passed, and think about what I’d like to accomplish in the year coming up.

December 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Making attainable goals is my plan too, and I believe it will work. I guess we’ll find out, won’t we?

Brooke
    December 27, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I make resolutions that don’t have to do with my weight, but will still have a positive impact on my life. Weight is something I will have to deal with all the time, just not every new year, so be in that mindset.

December 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I’m not in that mindset….and I wasn’t asking specifically about weight..just saying.

You’re right…I have to deal with weight all the time too…totally.

Meredith
    December 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Mine will be to take the positive changes I’ve made in the last few months and making them a permanent lifestyle. So, it will include finding strategies that work for me and continuing the “health circle” I started with some friends to exchange weekly emails with weekly goals and reviews of progress on the previous week’s goals. In other words, instead of making my resolution a number or something amorphous like “lose weight,” I’m concentrating on the process that yields success for me. I’m also going to put together “process” goals for other areas of my life that I think I need to improve.

December 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Doesn’t it feel good to make those positive changes? Good for you Meredith!

Shelley
    December 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’m also taking a goal approach instead of calling them resolutions. In a notebook I wrote a list of things I want to accomplish in 2012. I have a separate page for health, household and professional goals. I guess it’s more of a to-do list than anything. Then I made a page for each month in 2012. For some of the goals I wrote them in under each month. For example, one of my goals is to run at least one race every month so I wrote that under each month. In January I want to put together a household binder so I put that on my January list. But most of the goals I’m just leaving on the master list (for now anyway) because I don’t have a definite timeline for them yet (or for household project we don’t know for sure when we’ll have the time or money). Also, I’ve already started getting myself back on track eating wise instead of waiting until Jan 1. Just got back from the grocery store with bags full of fresh produce!

D
    December 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I tend not to do resolutions because they have always been about losing weight but just a focus is good for me to keep in mind though the year

December 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Weight definitely matters all year…so true..

Tim
    December 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I probably wont make a New Years resolution because I tend to forget what they are after a month or so!

I might do what I did last year and use a word to describe how i plan to live 2012.

2010 was awareness
    2011 was action
    2o12….not sure yet! hehe

This is what I wrote last year:

December 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I can’t believe how quickly time passes as I think of the events that you described from the prior year in your posts. Wow..time flies. I’m glad I know you going into 2012……just saying Timmo!

Erin
    December 27, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I am also setting myself goals and plans–but I wonder why people think that is different than just calling them resolutions? Is it just the term?

Mostly I just want to be more consistent about the good things I have been doing (exercise, healthier eating, keeping an online food journal) and increase frequency on something I let slide in 2011 (running). If I do all of those things then the weight will come off–how can it not?

Bella
    December 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Instead of resolutions, which seem to go to the wayside by the time January 21st rolls around, I make goals for the year. Last year I made 11, and I did very well on them. This year the plan is to make 12. I’ll post about them on Jan. 1.

Jack Sh*t
    December 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

For 2012, I’m going to forgive all of the debts I owe.