A Fresh Start, A Gray Hair and Will You Be My Valentine?

You may have deduced from the title of this post that I have a lot to say today, and I do.  Let’s start with school.  I started classes yesterday, and I was immediately reminded that I LOVE being in the classroom!  I’m studying behavioral/social psychology, etc.  and find myself interested in it already.  And after being out of the classroom for what feels like forever, it feels great to be back.  Learning me makes me giddy, and I hope I always feel that way.

And only days before I reentered the classroom, I found my first gray hair! I noticed it as I was staring at myself in the mirror washing my hands so I pulled it out and compared it to the brown strap on my bag.  Check it out…

If a picture is worth a thousand words then I think the photo above tells the story…I’m 31 years old, and I’ve officially experienced my first gray hair!  I let the color grow out last year because I wanted to know if I had any gray, and now that I know that I do, I’ll probably go back to coloring it at some point soon.  For now, most of my hair is brown so I’ll worry about it later.

Today is weigh-in day too, and I’m ready.  I’ve hit it hard at the gym and outside of it this week, and I’ve been mindful of my food while tracking it everyday.   Focusing on small, weekly goals seems to be working for me again, and I’ve spent a lot of time reminding myself that  as I accomplish these small goals, they’ll add up.  I know that, and that’s good enough for me.  And now I want to talk about something fun…

********

Last year, Janna, who blogs here, and I hosted a Healthy Valentine’s Swap, and we’ve decided to do it again this year.  Everyone deserves a valentine so if you’re interested (even if you have a valentine and just want another one) check out the details below!

Janna and I love presents – giving them and receiving them, and we’re inviting you to join us in the fun.  And because many of us are living healthy lives, we’ve decided to host a healthy valentine swap.  Let’s get creative with candles, DVD’s, lotion and other fun things that won’t interrupt our healthy living.  Let’s just keep it around $25, okay?  And you know, skip the giant heart filled with chocolate or the giant Reese’s heart…swoon. (Okay, send the Reese’s heart to me. hehe)  But seriously, we’d love to have another fun-filled swap, and if you’re reading this, we’d love to see you participate!

If you’re interested in taking part in the Valentine’s Day swap, please sign up no later than Tuesday, January 31st. We will send you an e-mail with your partner’s information and blog address no later than Wednesday, February 1st so you can send your package no later than February 8th.

Once you’ve received your e-mail, take a little time to read your partner’s blog so you can get to know them a bit. Take it a step further and maybe you can shoot some emails back and forth. It will totally help when thinking of what they might like to receive. =) And once you’ve received your package, please take some time to post about it on your blog. It’s a nice and easy way to say thank you while sharing what you received with the rest of us!

So here’s a recap:

* Leave a comment with your e-mail address so we know how to contact you.

* Post about the swap on your blog and link back so others can join. Hey..everyone deserves a Valentine, right? 🙂

* Sign up before January 31st at noon central time.

* Wait for an e-mail with your swap partner’s information and blog address.

* Get your package out NO LATER than February 8th.

If you have any questions you can email Kenz or Janna at: kenlie@alltheweigh.com or atxbikegirl@gmail.com!

* You will have a partner by Sunday, February 6th.

Then let the shopping, shipping and friend making BEGIN!!!

Janna, Reese and Kenz

I’ve been fortunate to meet so many awesome people through my blog, and Janna and I are friends as a result.  Please join the fun, make some friends and do your part to make this an incredible swap! 🙂  Janna and I are definitely looking forward to it! 🙂

Nina Patricia
    January 19, 2012 at 2:02 am

what a great idea, I would love to join…but let me check some things before I commit.
    Don’t you love Gray hairs? I also started getting them in my 30’s (I’m 36 now) so I keep coloring my hair {I’m too young to let them show}.

January 20, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I appreciate that Nina! and I hope you can join…

And no, sigh…I don’t love gray hairs…except the ones on Anderson Cooper’s head….swoon..

Lisa
    January 19, 2012 at 2:55 am

Hey there would love to join in the valentine swap if anyone wants to do international – I am in New Zealand.
    Keep up the great work Kenlie and good luck at weigh in

Lisa
      January 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Opps forgot my email address incase – vmkp@xtra.co.nz

January 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm

We’ll shoot you an email to see if we can figure out how to make that happen. I’ll consult Janna! =)

Cathy
    January 19, 2012 at 6:52 am

I had my first grey hair around 30, but now am 44 and still have very very few. Sometimes I get my hair lightened, but still don’t need color. So you never know!

January 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Yeah, it looks like it may not be a big deal for a while….which is nice…but there’s always color. 😉

Christina @ Just Running
    January 19, 2012 at 8:29 am

I found my first gray when I was 19, and five years later I have TONS of grays. My hair is a light brown that makes it hard to notice the grays unless one is looking for them. Will you dye your hair? I like my grays.

January 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I was surprised that I hadn’t seen any gray in my 20’s…and now I’m not seeing much in my 30’s, but hey..they just started last year. 😉

Natalie
    January 19, 2012 at 8:46 am

Girl, I feel your pain on the gray hair! I found my first gray hair at 21 and if I didn’t highlight or color my hair, I’d be almost entirely gray at 32! It sucks, but it’s better than going bald! 🙂

I also love your small goal philosophy! I’d much rather focus on my small goals than the larger, intimidating picture!

January 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Small goals = so much more doable for me.

Lisa
    January 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

This sounds like fun! My hubby is an absolute poo when it comes to gifts.

Do I need to leave my email here or it is OK in the section above?

Denise
    January 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’d love to take part! Almasdays@gmail.com

January 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Fantastic Denise!

Ann
    January 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Tag: You are it! I have tagged you!!! I hope you choose to play along – I look forward to reading your answers!!! http://annstersdomain.blogspot.com/2012/01/random-eleven.html

Deb
    January 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I love being a student too and wish I were in school now. It’s always so much fun, even when its work.

Also, I don’t mean to be rude/totally off topic, but want to ask a favor. I read your blog regularly, and the worst you can do is say no or delete my comment.

My good friend was the victim of a violent crime and has no health insurance. Could you please spread the word for the cause? We’re trying to raise money to put a dent in his medical bills. You can see more about what happened and photos here on my blog: http://debslosingit.com/help-fix-jeremys-face/.

If you can’t repost the information, and you use Stumble Upon, could you at least thumbs up the post and share it with your friends? Thank you so much! I would really appreciate it!

January 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Deb, I wish your friend the absolute best!

Angela
    January 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Oh man….I wish I had a blog so I could get a healthy Valentine 🙁
    ohh and I found a few gray hairs when I was 16 (I’ll be 27 in 9 days) and have been dying my hair since. I recently let that go and my roots are almost nothing buy gray 🙁 my birthday present (& to celebrate having lost almost 150lbs) I’m treating myself to a fresh new do…which will include a dye job lol

January 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm

New hairstyle and color is always fun! Happy birthday, and 150 pounds?!? Congratulations Angela!

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake
    January 19, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Im in for the valentine’s day exchange… Another great idea! Nothankstocake@gmail.com

Also, I don’t even want to tell you about my grays. Color them or remove them is my motto!

January 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Oh heck yes, I agree….no gray here….no way.

Kelly, Future Thin Girl
    January 20, 2012 at 7:37 am

I’ll do it – like I even needed to tell you that! hehehe. You know my email address, but just in case:

ke11ny@aol.com

January 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I know, and I know…but yay!

deb_dee
    January 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’d love to hear more about your school’s program and what degree you’re pursuing (if you’re comfortable sharing it).

A Few Updates
    January 27, 2012 at 2:01 am

[…] love to have you take part in it with us.  If you’re interested, check out the details here, and don’t forget to sign up by Tuesday!  Do you want to be my valentine? […]

Ima Bovine
    January 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I’d love to take part in the Valentines exchange BUT am a bit intimidated. Can you provide a little more info like how much $$ we are supposed to spend, what sort of things make good presents (obviously not candy), I don’t want to be the one person that sends the worst gift…can you tell I have issues? Sorry to be a pain Kenlie, I just don’t want to commit and then do a piss pour job. THX

Lyn
    January 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I’d like to participate in the Valentine exchange.

Emily Boswell
    January 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

Gave the wrong website earlier!

Emily Boswell
      January 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

i will get it right at some point today lol.. i would like to take part in the Valentine fun!

Getting All the Hearts Together for Next Week
    February 22, 2012 at 9:04 am

[…]  You may have seen it on Kenzie’s blog, All the Weigh… but she and another blogger are hosting a swap amongst bloggers in the true tradition that everyone should have a Valentine.  LOVE […]