A Weigh-In Update and A New Snack

I know I’ve gushed about my Weight Watchers meeting before, but I just cannot express how much the meetings help me.  It makes every week a fresh start, but it’s more than that.  It’s an opportunity to vent my frustrations, to share motivation and to celebrate little accomplishments that add up to big success.

This week, I tracked my food and exercised, and I showed a 3.2 pound loss, and I’m determined to show another good loss next week.

Wednesday night, I felt like snacking so I tried something new – roasted spinach chips.  And it was fantastic!  Here’s what I did…

I placed 5 cups of spinach in a zip-loc bag with a teaspoon of olive oil and a little dash of salt and shook it up.  After the spinach was coated, I placed it on a cookie sheet and baked it on 300 degrees for about 15 minutes.  The spinach seemed soggy as I used the spatula to remove it from the pan, but it got crispy pretty quickly.  And it was delicious so I made it again last night.  Next time, I’ll make it without salt.

Picture Courtesy of Cooking-Books.blogspot.com

I forgot to take pictures the first time I made them, and now I can’t find my card reader so I borrowed a photo from cooking-books.blogspot.com  though I didn’t use that recipe.  And honestly, this picture is prettier than mine anyway. =)  Now i’m excited to roast kale and baby bok choy and other leafy greens too!

My workout schedule has been crazy this week so I plan to exercise much earlier today.  There were a couple of days in this week in which I didn’t exercise until midnight.  And while I’m glad that I got it done, I know that I need to get it done earlier so I can rest better when I sleep.

How’s your week going?  Are you working out? Eating well?  Do you need encouragement?  What’s new?

Carbaholic Mama
    January 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

Great idea and I’m glad the spinach turned out well for you! I have two workouts in so far and eating has been okay, but not as good as last week. My downfall (obviously) is carbs, and I’ve had way too much bread the past two nights 🙁 Hoping to get in another workout tomorrow morning…thanks for the positive attitude and motivation!

January 20, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Isn’t it nice to have a new day filled with the opportunity to make healthy choices?

Half Chinked
    January 20, 2012 at 8:47 am

Roasted spinach sounds amazing! I love those easy go-to snacks that add flavor and texture. Great idea!

January 20, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Yep, agreed! I eat it raw most days too, but it’s such an awesome alternative to chips.

Michelle Sharma
    January 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thanks for the recipe! I think I have a new go-to now when my family breaks out the Doritos during game night! I’ll try it out this weekend and let you know how it goes. Four pounds down this week and yesterday I ran 40 minutes-I want to get signed up for a 5k when we get to D.C. Hope you have a great week!

January 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Exactly! Use parchment paper (lesson learned) so they get extra crispy!! 🙂

upinthecosmos
    January 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

That sounds great. I have a recipe for Kale chips that I was planning to try so now I’ll add this one to my list!

January 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I need to pick up some kale because it seems like everyone loves it. I love doing baby bok choy the same way.

Jamie
    January 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

I cant wait to try this recipe out! Congrats on the weigh in this week. That is awesome. My food has been ok this week but I know it can be more balanced and healthy so that’s what I want to work on. Less packaged & processed foods may be my next mini-goal for the week. My mini-goal for this week was no added salt (cooking & serving) but I just don’t think this is for me, I really enjoy my garlic salt.

January 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I eat processed food too, but I’ve noticed that when I eat fresh food, I can usually eat more…and it usually tastes better. 🙂 I love garlic pepper, by the way…

desertnails8
    January 20, 2012 at 10:33 am

I love dehydrated kale chips. I haven’t tried spinach chips yet but I think I will now. On the kale chips I like a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt. The lemon juice seems to make it taste perkier, or maybe that just goes well with kale. Thanks for the spinach chips idea. My week’s going pretty well I’ve gotten in a lot of exercise. I’ve been watching a gal on youtube who is going into the navy in April and she just quit her job and is starting workouts to get ready for boot camp. And she’s so inspiring and funny I have been putting more effort into exercising. Keep up the good work, Kenlie!

January 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Wow..good for her, and good for you! You keep up the good work too!

Tammy
    January 20, 2012 at 11:57 am

Congratulations Kenlie, your 3.2 lb loss is fantastic! I’ve been doing better this week. Snow in the Seattle area has me housebound this week, thus not allowing me to eat out or pick-up take out. I’m expecting a loss this Sunday. Although the food has been good this week, I need more activity.

I’m still snacking more than I would like. Perhaps once I make it to the store, I will purchase Spinach and try out your recipe. Thanks for the tip.

January 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I like going to the store and picking out colorful foods that help me look forward to eating them. =) Try it out once it’s safe to leave!

Brooke
    January 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I want to try more veggies, but I find it hard to find healthy ways to cook them, but still get some flavor. The show Ruby got me interested in trying some Asparagus with some sprays of I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter, heated in a pan and some brussell sprouts baked on a pan with some olive oil, sea salt, and some other seasonings. When I get the chance I won’t to put these in my diet. I’ve been trying really hard to eat at least two meals a day with a fruit of veggie (mainly trying for veggies, fruits are easy to eat.). This gave me a new idea to try to get more veggies in, thanks.

I was also excited that my WW points went down today. I don’t suppose many people are happy when that happens, but I’m excited b/c it means that I’m losing more weight and when my points go down, hopefully it means I’m on the track to losing more weight.

January 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I eat vegetables raw everyday, but this roasted thing is a great snack for the evening…when I want to snack. 😉

I get excited when my points go down too even though I understand why it’s bittersweet…ha

Morgan
    January 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm

My week is good. I’m on day 3 without sugar, and I’ve been running and doing The Shred. The scale is showing my numbers moving down, and that is enough encouragement to keep going. Glad that you are doing well too!

January 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I adore 30-Day Shred…I think I’ll do it today too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Molly Nitka
    January 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Have you tried the ww recipe for cauliflour poppers? It’s sooo good! I hate cauliflour but I make this stuff pretty much every night.

January 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Nope, but I’m going to google it now. And if I can’t find it, you’ll be getting a tweet from me. I love cauliflower so I’m interested..

Meredith
    January 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’m having an awesome week with exercising and eating. Love it when it actually comes together! I’m trying to enjoy it while it lasts because you know bumps are coming up the road!

January 20, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Enjoy it, yes…and forget the bumps that may or may not come along. So happy to hear that you’re having a healthy week!

Deb
    January 20, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I considered meetings at one time, and I know they really help a lot of people, but I have so much anxiety involving pretty much everything, I’m pretty sure I’d sign up, pay my money, go once and be too freaked out to ever go again.

As it is I am seriously considering cancelling my gym membership because I hate going during the daytime with so many people there. It was fine when I went in the middle of the night, but I genuinely hate going during the day/evenings which is the only time I can go now.

Amanda
    January 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

When you talked about this on facebook, I was wondering if it was like kale chips. I will have to try this soon because I have a huge bag of spinach from Costco.

Jessica
    January 22, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Tried these today and LOVED them! Thanks for the snack idea!

In My Kitchen: Spinach Chips (?) « Completely Random Sally
    January 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm

[…] weekend which I thought was weird, but my stomach was completely curious.  So, when she posted the how-to, I knew it was on my to-do […]