Healthy Eating weight loss Weight Watchers

A Few Pics and A Question About Dairy

It’s weigh-in day, and after a week of travels I’ve been looking forward to my meeting.  Somehow, I thought I could be at my Weight Watchers meeting, another meeting in another city and out to dinner.  I can’t be at all three places at once so the meeting in another city wins out though dinner after that should still work.

New York was how I remembered it, and it felt good to be home (where my heart still is) even though I had to leave again.  I went to my old neighborhood in the suburbs, saw friends and remembered the reasons that I love that place.  And now I’m thoroughly convinced that I need to go back…and soon.  What can I say? It’s where I belong…though it seems everyone else in my life already knew that.  Maybe I’ll talk about it more later.  For now, I’ll just share a few photos.

Kelly and me!

Kelly and Me!

Happy to be back in NY...

Cupcake made by The Cake Boss. Best cupcake I've ever eaten...

After sushi, I tasted this odd, unknown veggie. Any idea what it is?

Kelly and I worked out too, of course...

And speaking of Kelly, in December, she urged me to buy the chocolate smoothie mix at my next WW meeting because it would make it easier to drink milk everyday.  She believes that we should be following ALL of the Good Health Guidelines (even dairy.)  And she has a good point.  It’s part of the HGH’s for a reason.

I whined about not liking milk…It’s true.  Milk is gross…until it’s in something delicious like cereal or a smoothie or a chocolate shake!  So I followed her advice, and I’m happy to report that I’ve been consuming the GHG’s for the last couple of weeks – even drinking a cup of skim milk, two some days.

I used my KitchenAid blender to whip up a chocolate shake that included the mix, a cup of skim milk and a cup of ice, and it was definitely worth the 4 p+!  And while I was hesitant to spend $7 on the chocolate smoothie mix, I did.  And it was a smart move because it’s delicious (And just over a dollar per packet!)  Dad made an excellent point when we discussed this  (yes, we chat about everything.)  He noted that I spend over $5 for one latte at Starbucks so $1 per shake isn’t bad at all!  And the lattes are usually more than 4 p+ too!  I also love the chocolate shake with a banana mixed in.  It doubles the points (making it 8 p+) though it’s worth it.  It is ridiculously delicious.

I make smoothies with fresh fruit and frozen fruits and vegetables pretty regularly too, and during the last week I’ve started making green smoothies using WW’s vanilla smoothie mix, 1 cup of skim milk, 1 cup of strawberries, 1 cup of spinach, 1 cup of ice and a banana.  (Recipe courtesy of Kelly.)  The smoothie is 9 p+, but it’s definitely big enough to split in half.  But since my goal is to eat fruits and veggies, I tend to enjoy it as a meal.

Green smoothie!

So it would seem that I love the WW smoothie mixes.  Who knew?!  Do you buy it?  If so, do you have a tasty recipe to share?  At my old NY meeting, people used the vanilla mix to make pancakes!  I don’t remember the recipe though it was simple (and apparently) delicious.  Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

mary
    January 12, 2012 at 1:16 am

oh kenlie
    you inspire me to be a better person

Ryan Yewell
    January 12, 2012 at 2:56 am

My 2 cents on dairy, specifically drinking milk…

There have been several studies that have linked osteoporosis to a diet high in animal protein (including the animal protein in milk). Now, of course, one study says this, one study says that, so of course it’s all who you want to believe.

One thing that cannot be denied, though, is the hundreds of millions of dollars that have been spent by the dairy industry in marketing/promotion of their product. The idea that milk is a part of a balanced diet is simply not true. When the “Four Basic Food Groups” and later the “Food Pyramid”, and now the “Food Plate” were all created, the only reason dairy is on there is because there is a dairy industry. That’s the reason. If there was no dairy industry, there would be no “dairy” anywhere for any recommended eating guidelines. The dairy industry wants you to consume their product, they want you to think you are healthy doing so, they’ve been able to get the government (and other organizations) on board.

In my opinion, anyone who drinks milk thinking it’s part of a healthy diet doesn’t appreciate how these guidelines were created, and came into being, thanks to the efforts of those that have completely invested interests in people drinking more milk.

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie
      January 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

I so agree with this!!! I am currently participating in the 21-day PCRM Vegan Kickstart. I have had NO dairy/meat/animal products for almost 2 weeks now and I cannot tell you how much of a 180 my body has experienced! I’ve done a lot of reading on the subject in the past, and dairy/meat farmers and the government have a lot of money tied up together and that is why milk is promoted so in your face.
      If you really think about it, we are the only mammals that drink other mammals milk. You would never see a baby goat drinking from a cow. I think that is interesting.

Cathy
    January 12, 2012 at 6:43 am

If you like milk, then drink it. But I am with Ryan, on the dairy industry. Cow milk is not necessarily healthy for humans, and there are other ways to get protein and calcium.

Tammy
    January 12, 2012 at 7:31 am

I think you should mention that you are not using the “free” fruit part of the program. That makes your shakes way higher in Points Plus than other people would count them. Since you are using fresh fruit/veggies in your shakes, I would only count the mix and milk towards Points because that is how our leader is teaching it. You’ve decided that doesn’t work for you – which is fine, not everything is for everyone – but you might just make a disclaimer towards that point.

You can also look for the no-sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast mix at the store. They are also delicious and may be a little less expensive than buying the mix at WW.

As far as “free” goes, our leader explained it by saying they aren’t free, they are “prepaid” meaning that the program was developed figuring in these values ahead of time, which is why they don’t have to be counted. Unless, of course, you are going way over the 5 per day.

January 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Tammy, according to WW, I should be counting the fruit because it’s mixed together in a recipe. I’ll share more details in a post soon…

Your leader is telling you something very different than mine is telling me, but we all know that we have to do what’s best for us. I’m just trying to follow the plan. xo

Tammy
        January 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I sent an email to my leader, Jennifer, with this question. I need to know if I’ve been doing it wrong all this time. I’m just confused and will be glad to get clarification.

Carbaholic Mama
    January 12, 2012 at 7:48 am

Tammy – thanks for clarifying – I was a little confused as to why a banana would double the points for the chocolate shake. 🙂

Kenlie, it looks like you had a great time! Love your glasses!

January 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

According to Weight Watchers it does double it because when something is mixed, they count the overall nutrition as opposed to counting it separately. =)

Tim
        January 15, 2012 at 9:19 am

So what happens if you make the recipe without the banana (which comes in at 4P+) and eat the banana straight after it? Does it still count as 8P+?

January 15, 2012 at 8:32 pm

WW seems to count the banana as free if it’s eaten separately…I have trouble computing that in my head so I count it as 3 points as it shows in the recipe builder….again, that’s me..not WW.

Maria in NJ
    January 12, 2012 at 7:57 am

Yay! now you will be closer and when I need a NYC fix I can come and see you…when??

about the milk, have you tried the almond milk? (don’t wrinkle your nose like that, it might stay that way) It is really good, I love it on cereal, you ahve got to try it if you haven’t already…

January 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Ha..you know me Maria! And yes, I’ve tried almond milk, but I don’t like it. It’s probably perfect for smoothies though..I never considered it, but over cereal = gross.

Cathy
        January 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Milk of all kinds grosses me out. It is perfect in a smoothie, very little calories

Jodi
    January 12, 2012 at 8:38 am

If you haven’t ever tasted the Cake Bosses cannoli’s you are missing out ! Ever since I tried one in New York everything else has SUCKED!

January 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ve eaten the cannoli, but I’m not a fan of it anywhere…It’s okay, I suppose…just not my thing. (I know this makes me weird..lol)

Vi
    January 12, 2012 at 10:03 am

I agree with all the anti-dairy industry comments here. No one needs dairy. I ate dairy for years and still managed to get osteopenia (the begging of osteoporosis) at age 41.

I’ve been dairy free and gluten free since July and I’ve never felt better emotionally, mentally, physically. Even my cravings for all things junk food have disappeared. I get my calcium (and protein) through other foods and a supplement if I feel I was lacking that particular day.

Erin
    January 12, 2012 at 10:12 am

I grew up on a dairy farm and I hate milk. My grandfather would be so disappointed. 🙂 However, part of my program requires 2 servings of dairy per day. I can’t drink milk, it has too much sugar and it makes me sick.

Currently, for breakfast I have a protein shake. I’m not sure how protein powder compares to the WW smoothie mix, but I’m betting they’re similar. I have some links to sites that have tons of protein shake recipes (that would be easy for you to adapt). My current favorite is my chocolate peppermint protein shake. It’s a lot like the Skinny Peppermint Mocha from Starbuck’s and a whole lot cheaper.

Helen
    January 12, 2012 at 10:17 am

The WW shakes don’t have as much protein as a protein shake. I meant to buy some yesterday because they are on sale for $4.95. You should have gotten a little packet of receipes in your box, so look for those. And yes, as others have pointed out – if you are of the mind that “fruit is free” then I would NOT count it in this shake.

Shannon
    January 12, 2012 at 10:54 am

I take the french vanilla flavor with a cup of skim milk, ice cubes, and about a cup or so of frozen raspberries. It gets nice and thick almost milkshakey. It’s very tasty. I add a little splenda too if it’s not sweet enough.

Gail @ Shrinking Sisters
    January 12, 2012 at 11:59 am

I’m pretty sure that veggie is a Japanese eggplant, which are super good, but they have a tendency to suck up the oil like crazy, and restaurants tend to stir-fry them in a bunch of oil.

As for the WW shake mixes, I found that most of the stuff sold at WW meetings were way overpriced and way overprocessed. Get some decent whey protein powder to make smoothies with more protein, fewer additives and probably less money. I use almond or coconut milk to make mine since the whey protein has plenty of protein.

January 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I noticed that they’re not high in protein though I thought they would be. So I should try whey? Any brand suggestions? You know I want to lose as opposed to bulking up so any thoughts?

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie
        January 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Kenlie, a lot of research shows that you should eat .4 grams of protein for every pound that you weigh. Get a 100% Whey protein powder with low carbs. I have found that when I was consuming animal products (now a 90% Vegan lifestyle) the best powder I found was at GNC Gold Standard 100% Whey in French Vanilla. It only has 4 grams of carbs and 24 grams of protein. I swear by everything I know that if you increase your protein intake you will see bigger losses and stay more satisfied between meals, and NOT bulk up. The only way you would bulk up is if you were doing some SERIOUS weight lifting.
        The protein powder that I use is now 100% vegan and it is Pea Protein (25 grams of protein). It is protein from plant based foods. I combine it with Vanilla Almond Milk (which also is great and has TWICE the calcium as milk) frozen strawberries and a heaping handful of spinach. It is only around 250 calories and packed with protein, vitamins, and nutrients.
        I left a link about dairy for you to read if you are interested: http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

Lisa
    January 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Oh my, I am the odd one here! I totally <3 milk! Plain, chocolate, in cereal, with cookies, with meals, I don't care. I have a hard tme only drinking 1 cup!! I drink skim & get 2% for the family.

I haven't had one for a while, but I used to save my Points & mix the WW smoothie mix with water when I added fruit to it. It wasn't quite as rich as with milk, but still tasted pretty good. I really need to try it with spinach!

January 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm

You really don’t even taste the spinach, and it’s so good for you. =)

Dominique
    January 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I tried a new smoothie this morning – spinach, pineapple and banana (I also include vanilla almond milk and flax seed). It was scary green, but it came out great!

I love milk, particularly in cheese form, but lately I’ve been using almond milk instead because it’s satisfying while being super low in PointsPlus.

January 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Wow..that sounds delicious Dominique! I’m totally going to try it (maybe even with almond milk.)

Deb
    January 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Milk is one of those things I drink maybe 2 times a year, unless I’m making hot cocoa. I’m iffy on the taste/texture/smell, but mostly I skip it because all the good stuff in it has been destroyed. I wish we had access to fresh, raw goats’ milk. I would drink that every day. But where we live, its highly unlikely we could secretly keep a goat and even if I did buy shares in one, the market value for raw milk is insanely high.

Cara
    January 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Hey! To make the pancake you mix one packet of smoothie mix with 3 egg whites… you have to whip it really well otherwise it just tastes like whatever flavor smoothie eggs… haha. But my WW leader taught us with the chocolate mix and then add some ff cool whip and fruit if you’d like.

There’s something else with the creme brulee but i’m blanking… will ask at next meeting.

SC
    January 12, 2012 at 8:29 pm

i LOVE all the anti-diary sentiment here! I have been vegan for awhile now and it’s so wonderful. you can get the same nutrients from dairy through soy milk and other dairy substitutes. you will feel much better AND lose weight! cheese is esp disgusting..

and think how happy all those cows will be (I like to think with every amount of dairy i abstain from I am helping a little…)

Meredith
    January 13, 2012 at 10:48 am

I have to agree with the anti-dairy comments on here. You should watch the documentary “Forks over Knives.” It’s a bit scary and has moved me to a much more plant-based diet. Rats with diets high in dairy had much higher rates of cancer than those with diets that limited dairy to 5% of calories. I don’t eat much dairy anymore and I don’t miss it. Our government is far too influenced in these matters by corporate interests.

Tabby
    February 10, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I would like to point out two things:

1. Agreeing to some extent with a lot of the anti pasteurised milk lobby hereabouts, I would like to stress that instead of switching out milk with almond/soy/rice/hemp milk for calcium you start getting a lot more leafy green vegetables as your source of calcium. There’s more calcium in arugula, for instance, than most other sources in the world. Plus if you’re doing WW, I assume leafy greens don’t have any points to speak of. So, yum.

2. Chocolate inhibits the absorption of calcium into the body, so drinking chocolate milk is not helping you get calcium anyway. If you’re craving chocolate, you’re craving magnesium – which you can get – wait for it: in leafy greens. Guess what we need when we are PMSy? We need magnesium and fiber and comfort food because we feel shitty and irritable. We feel irritable because we don’t get enough magnesium. Are you seeing a theme here? We need magnesium and calcium together since without enough magnesium we push the calcium into soft tissues and that’s the beginning of kidney stones. So get lots of leafy greens, because then you get both at once, which is ideal.

And for smoothies you can skip dairy altogether. It’s just a taste you get used to. I usually use water, sometimes a little OJ, but usually water with cacao, flax, berries, greens (as a powder or spinach), lemon, acv, and occasionally some hemp seed + protein powder. I always skip any powder that has artificial ingredients and more sugar content than protein & fiber. The more fiber you get, soluble and insoluble, the more weight you will shed.